Which country has the best national anthem? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Which country has the best national anthem?

Antilles

Medalist
I agree Google is amazing, and selling rather well these days. ;)

I also forgot about The Scottish anthem. While they do fall under the British anthem of God Save the Queen, they also have "The Flower of Scotland". It's very nice.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Thanks for the words to the Greek National Anthem. I thought it had something like 73 verses.

I never liked the Russian National Anthem until I saw Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze sing it on the medals stand. I understand that sometimes the athletes are struck with emotion but if they possibly can, I want them all to sing at the top of their lungs - on key or not.

Germanice

On the Ice
MM, thanx for the German history lesson, couldn't have explained it better. :)

Anyway, don't like the German anthem that much, it's kinda lame and zzzzzzz. I just LOVE those from Italy and France, because they're "swinging", fighting and passionate!!! Brazil's not bad either, since soccer fans have heard them on and on!

Anke

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
I'm American, but I love "God Save the Queen." Gets me all choked up and stuff. I'm meant to British, I'm telling you. :D

I also like the Russian National Anthem. I never really noticed it being overly long, but maybe that's because at Bofrost and Worlds (DC), I was too busy ogling Evgeni on the medal stand. :p

Laura :)

show 42 said:
Thanks Mathman........I love "Waltzing Matilda" (I guess that dates me a bit)....42

Hey Show - Check out the movie 'Interrupted Melody' with Eleanor Parker playing that great Australian diva. The sound track included Don't Sit under the Apple Tree', Somewhere Over the Rainbow, and,of course, Waltzing Matilde all sung by Eileen Farrell. The operat tunes are also great. Very warm movie and a good rendition of 'Matilde'.

Joe

OwenEvans

Rinkside
I've always like the German anthem.

"You can hear the rousing Australian National Anthem ("Advance Australian Fair" -- I'm hating it already, LOL.) HERE

I just learned that this was adopted only in 1984. For most of the time previous to that, Australia was a British Commonwealth and it's official anthem was God Save the Queen. But at sporting events like the Olympics they played instead the Australian National Folksong, Waltzing Matilda."

Mathman, I agree with your opinion of AAF and I'm an Aussie - it's a total clunker, however, it has been the Australian anthem for many, many years, just that Australia, until recently suffering from a "cultural cringe" and a total inferiority complex /a$$kisser mentality when it comes to the "Mother Country", kept using God Save the Queen forever. When I went to school, we still sung GSTQ at morning assembly and in fact, I didn't know AAF was the national anthem (or the words to it, can you believe!) until the Govt of the day started to promote it in the early 80s.

G'day!

I always wonder how many American children who reverently sing "My Country 'Tis of Thee" know that this is really God Save the Queen, LOL.

Mathman:)

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Looks like a winner, Joe.........I'll see if I can find it......42

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
A.H.Black said:
I never liked the Russian National Anthem until I saw Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze sing it on the medals stand. I understand that sometimes the athletes are struck with emotion but if they possibly can, I want them all to sing at the top of their lungs - on key or not.
Actually, that was really funny -- Elena knew the new anthem words, but Anton was actually singing the old words, which now sound ironic to say the least:

Unbreakable Union of freeborn Republics,
Great Russia has welded forever to stand.
Created in struggle by will of the people,
United and mighty, our Soviet land!
Refrain:
Sing to the Motherland, home of the free,
Bulwark of peoples in brotherhood strong.
O Party of Lenin, the strength of the people,
To Communism's triumph lead us on!

Through tempests the sunrays of freedom have cheered us,
Along the new path where great Lenin did lead.
To a righteous cause he raised up the peoples,
Inspired them to labor and valorous deed.
[Or, the old way:
Be true to the people, thus Stalin has reared us,
Inspire us to labor and valorous deed!]

Refrain

In the vict'ry of Communism's deathless ideal,
We see the future of our dear land.
And to her fluttering scarlet banner,
Selflessly true we always shall stand!

John King

Final Flight
Canada!(courtesy of Ren & Stimpy)

(~singing~):Our country reeks of trees
Our yaks are really large
And they smell like rotting beef carcasses
And we have to clean up after them
And our saddle sores are the best
We proudly wear women's clothing
As searing sand blows up our dresses

And our buzzards they soar overhead
And poisonous snakes will devour us whole
Our bones will bleach in the sun
And we will probably go to hell
And that is our great reward
For being the Royal
Canadian Kilted Yaksmen!

humbaba

Final Flight
I've noticed that Asian countries seem to have adopted Western style music for their anthems. I always wonder about this. Why don't these countries have anthems in their own native musical idioms? That would make the medal ceremonies much more interesting. Are there any non-western countries that have non-western style anthems?

berthes ghost

Final Flight
humbaba said:
I've noticed that Asian countries seem to have adopted Western style music for their anthems. I always wonder about this. Why don't these countries have anthems in their own native musical idioms? That would make the medal ceremonies much more interesting. Are there any non-western countries that have non-western style anthems?
Well, I don't know much about music, but when I hear the anthems of China and Kenya, neither sounds "western" at all. Too stencato. Any music gurus care to comment?

icenut84

Final Flight
Maybe there's a bit of bias, but I do like the English national anthem, Land of Hope and Glory. (The music of which was hijacked for the American graduation theme.) You don't usually hear it at sporting events because we usually compete as Great Britain, but in competitions like the Commonwealth Games, we compete as England so you hear the anthem. :)

I also like the French one, it's very uplifting, and the Russian one. I can't remember how many anthems go, until I hear them again.

I thought it was Rule Britannia. Now there's a song!

When Britain first at Heav'n's command
Arose from out the azure main;
This was the charter of the land,
And guardian angels sang this strain;

Rule, Britannia! Britannia, rule the waves:
Britons never will be slaves.

The nations not so blest as thee,
Shall in their turns to tyrants fall;
While thou shalt flourish great and free,
The dread and envy of them all.

Still more majestic shalt thou rise,
More dreadful from each foreign stroke;
As the loud blast that tears the skies,
Serves but to root thy native oak.

Thee haughty tyrants ne'er shall tame,
All their attempts to bend thee down
Will but arouse thy generous flame;
But work their woe, and thy renown.

To thee belongs the rural reign;
They cities shall with commerce shine;
All thine shall be the subject main,
And every shore it circles thine

The Muses, still with freedom found,
Shall to thy happy coast repair;
Blest Isle! With matchless beauty crowned,
And manly hearts to juide the fair.

Rule, Britannia! Britannia, rule the waves;
Brittons never will be slaves!

Ta da!

Click here then on "Click Arrow" for a rousing chorus.

Mathman:)