2017-2018 Programs by Discipline | Page 42 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Programs by Discipline

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason Brown and Ross Miner's music choices give me some hope. I really want to see some interesting programs, especially since they allow lyrics now in programs.

This is now making me think of Ross Miner's SP he did for 2 seasons to "Empire State of Mind." When it was clean....WOW. So beautiful.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I LOVE "Hamilton" and I think it is awesome that Jason is going to tackle it for the Olympic season! I think he will be amazing with this choice for his SP! It may very well turn out to be another signature piece for him, like "Riverdance"! :clap:

I wasn't familiar with Mirai's choice "Miss Saigon" for her FS but I looked up some Broadway clips of the show on youtube. I LOVE the music and I really hope that Jeff can bring out the best of Mirai for this piece in the Olympic season!! If she can pull it out along with some AWESOME jump passes throughout the season the skies the limit! GO MIRAI! :love:

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Courtney Hicks skating her short programme to Ennio Morricone's Nocturne as played by Yo Yo Ma.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
I'm sort of debating whether to put this here or not, but I think that Javier Fernández just revealed for real his FS theme - after the rather heavy hints he dropped in some interview in the spring, Don Quij/xote has been the top contender and it seems to be made to the music from Man from La Mancha. If someone is more fluent in Spanish, please feel free to verify or refute!

http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/telediario/td1-javifernandez-140717/4115607/ (also on Twitter although I think the telediario clip will not be geoblocked: https://twitter.com/24h_tve/status/885862443959828480)

If it really is La Mancha I am a little depressed, because I do not like the whole idea or the music too much - even the hit song from it "Dream the Impossible Dream" is a slow and dragging bore. I will try to have faith in David Wilson who was able to put together a marvellous Guys'n'Dolls themed FS for him when the premise for me was almost the same - that musical is mostly quite boring (but "Luck be a Lady" is a much easier song to use in this context). At least there will be no Peter Gunn involved (it was part of the SP medley in 2010 and the main tune in his FS for 2014).

Edit: I guess i have learned a bit of Spanish over the years (without actually studying it) and my interpretation of what I heard has been verified: Javier Fernández FS Man From La Mancha.

E

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
I'm sort of debating whether to put this here or not, but I think that Javier Fernández just revealed for real his FS theme - after the rather heavy hints he dropped in some interview in the spring, Don Quij/xote has been the top contender and it seems to be made to the music from Man from La Mancha. If someone is more fluent in Spanish, please feel free to verify or refute!

http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/telediario/td1-javifernandez-140717/4115607/ (also on Twitter although I think the telediario clip will not be geoblocked: https://twitter.com/24h_tve/status/885862443959828480)

If it really is La Mancha I am a little depressed, because I do not like the whole idea or the music too much - even the hit song from it "Dream the Impossible Dream" is a slow and dragging bore. I will try to have faith in David Wilson who was able to put together a marvellous Guys'n'Dolls themed FS for him when the premise for me was almost the same - that musical is mostly quite boring (but "Luck be a Lady" is a much easier song to use in this context). At least there will be no Peter Gunn involved (it was part of the SP medley in 2010 and the main tune in his FS for 2014).

Edit: I guess i have learned a bit of Spanish over the years (without actually studying it) and my interpretation of what I heard has been verified: Javier Fernández FS Man From La Mancha.

E
You are right. Yesterday a short film on Javier was presented in the sports section of the daily news. He spoke about his preparations for the olympic season, about the lesson learnt from the last worlds and also revealed that in his FS he would represent the Man of La Mancha and not Don Quixote.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Michael Christian Martinez
SP: Carmina Burana
FS: El Tango de Roxanne/Tango de los Exilados

Alexander Petrov
SP: Saber Dance (choreo by Misha Ge)

Andrei Lazukin
SP: Flamenco (choreo by Misha Ge)

Nika09

On the Ice
I like Gabrielle's FP music choice! It's just so Gaby!:agree: Sure she could sold it out.

And just have watched sneak peek's of some ladies programs. I've already loved Sakamoto's "Amelie" FP! It is so soft and naive and fits her, her first season as senior.
Mai's "Libertango" is also beautiful but it's too different from her last year programs and I think she hasn't owned it yet.
Well, "Gypsy Dance" is amazing choice from Higuchi, one of the best music choices this season, I'd say. But isn't it too fast for her? Could she handle this? Will see. In that point I would say Higuchi and Mihara should switch their SP program musics. Mai has amazing speed across the ice that could help with "Gypsy Dance" and Wakaba - passionate style for "Libertango". Anyway, looking forward to watch this programs in competition!

I'm still thinking Marin Honda is wasting her talent with warhorses. Just take a look at her "Crime Tale" EX, which is absolutely stunning and then beaten to death "Turandot" FP.:noshake:

Iskatgal

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I haven't noticed this yet. Does anyone know if the music Despacito, from Justin bieber, Luis fonsi and Daddy Yankee is being used? I've been listening to that song on the radio this summer. I can't get it out of my head! I think it would make an awesome short for someone. I am so ready of this Olympic season.....

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
S
I haven't noticed this yet. Does anyone know if the music Despacito, from Justin bieber, Luis fonsi and Daddy Yankee is being used? I've been listening to that song on the radio this summer. I can't get it out of my head! I think it would make an awesome short for someone. I am so ready of this Olympic season.....

actually earlier cathlen posted an article saying that Polish Ice Dance couple Kaliszek/Spodyriev will be probably using Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee hit or that they have an intention to use this song. Definitely a material for SD, but at the same time I don't think it will suit every couple's style/expression...

Ender

Match Penalty
You are right. Yesterday a short film on Javier was presented in the sports section of the daily news. He spoke about his preparations for the olympic season, about the lesson learnt from the last worlds and also revealed that in his FS he would represent the Man of La Mancha and not Don Quixote.
Is this the music: https://youtu.be/yEnDOXmyU-o
Then it's still Don Quizote

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker

E

This post seriously hurts my musical theatre-loving heart.

Tavi...

Record Breaker

E

Yes, it's Man of La Mancha - he says it's very Spanish and the program will show Don Q's [impossible] dream. I understood him to be referring to the program's theme and not necessarily saying that's the specific music he'll use from the show. I could be wrong. Maybe Arriba will weigh in.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^I think I’m hearing “intentaré conseguir (?) ese sueňo que siempre he tenido”. I can’t really hear the one word he is saying, but I get the sense that Javi would like to reach the dream he has always had. I am assuming that he would like to reach his dream of winning an Olympic medal. He doesn’t mention any specific songs from the musical Man of La Mancha. He says that the Man of La Mancha is a well-known Spanish character (Don Quijote), which is what I think he said before when he hinted at his music.

In the first part, they talk about the different things he does for his off-ice training to help the explosiveness of his skating. I like where they say the only skate in sight is the one that is tattooed on his leg, along with the Olympic rings. 😊

ETA -- I like that Javi seems really enthused about this choice.

ETA 2 -- I was trying to remember some of the songs from the musical Man of La Mancha. The only ones that I can imagine him skating to are I, Don Quixote; the Impossible Dream, Dulcinea, others?

Tavi...

Record Breaker
^^^I think I’m hearing “intentaré conseguir (?) ese sueňo que siempre he tenido”. I can’t really hear the one word he is saying, but I get the sense that Javi would like to reach the dream he has always had. I am assuming that he would like to reach his dream of winning an Olympic medal. He doesn’t mention any specific music. He mentions that the Man of La Mancha is a well-known Spanish character, which is what I think he said before when he hinted at his music.

In the first part, they talk about the different things he does for his off-ice training to help the explosiveness of his skating. I like where they say the only skate in sight is the one that is tattooed on his leg, along with the Olympic rings. 😊

ETA -- I like that Javi seems really enthused about this choice.

Yeah it's definitely "conseguir". I missed the "he" before tenido!

Waxel, I'm a little confused at your distinction. I guess you're thinking of the ballet? But Man from La Mancha is also a telling of Don Quixote, as is the Massenet opera, Don Quichotte.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Don Quixote de la Mancha.
(Don Quixote of La Mancha).

The same character. The man of La Mancha is Don Quixote.

I think the confusion here is with the wording of the early post. It says he is "representing" The Man of La Mancha, not Don Quixote. But "to represent," in this case, means to play a role. He is playing the same role (as far as we know). But plausibly skating to the Broadway musical or opera, Man of La Mancha, rather than the commonly-used ballet entitled Don Quixote.

Ender

Match Penalty
Don Quixote de la Mancha.
(Don Quixote of La Mancha).

The same character. The man of La Mancha is Don Quixote.

I think the confusion here is with the wording of the early post. It says he is "representing" The Man of La Mancha, not Don Quixote. But "to represent," in this case, means to play a role. He is playing the same role (as far as we know). But plausibly skating to the Broadway musical or opera, Man of La Mancha, rather than the commonly-used ballet entitled Don Quixote.
Then it's just exactly Don Quixote anyway.