2017-2018 Programs by Discipline | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Programs by Discipline

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Kulik won with watered down content and the list goes on....

I don´t believe that Kulik´s 1998 freeskate was watered down in any way and he had new programs for the Olympic season. Kulik was the first to skate in the final group and he had to go all out.... He skated his whole content and did it faultlessly.

Yagudin on the other hand left out his second triple axel in 2002 freeskate, IIRC.

Last edited:

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
I don´t believe that Kulik´s 1998 freeskate was watered down in any way and he had new programs for the Olympic season. Kulik was the first to skate in the final group and he had to go all out.... He skated his whole content and did it faultlessly.

Yagudin on the other hand left out his second triple axel in 2002 freeskate, IIRC.

True , I made a mistake in a hurry ... thanks for correcting. :thumbsup:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tuktamysheva on her programs:
- Who chose the music for the programs?

Elizaveta: The coaches know me very well, and I like what they offer. So it was this time. One tango, in a modern style, for a short program was offered by Tatyana Nikolaevna. Another, classical, for the arbitrary found Aleksei Nikolaevich. But when we started to put the random one, I decided to mix everything, and as a result I got a rich, varied and interesting program.

And with the music for a short program there was such a story. At first there was one option, but I did not particularly like it, because both short and arbitrary were similar in style. I wanted to take some French melody. And one evening Alexey Nikolayevich threw off the music, asked me to listen, and there exactly what I wanted. I immediately said: "You are directly reading my thoughts." And literally the day we put the program, and then during the collection over it worked.
https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1051703017.html
Choreograper Adam Solya
Small clip of one of her programs (music: Mala Luna?) http://radikal.ru/video/nkoXHAuROxu

Last edited:

Ender

Match Penalty

Kulik watered down the transitions.

Ender

Match Penalty
To me it feels disrespectful to the audience to use the same (very recent) program for three seasons, especially for a skater of Hanyu's stature. As one of the sport's greats with the largest fanbase in modern history of the sport, there should be a responsibility to create new works of performance art, new experiences for the audience, and thus raise the sport to new heights, both technically and artistically. It used to be that the judges looked down on recycled programs, but now that it doesn't seem to matter in PCS, it's as if he's saying "screw the inconvenience of learning new choreo, let me just focus on not popping the 4L." If that's the case, we may as well just judge the Olympics a la Tom Z's jump competition. And for all his media/sponsor obligations, I find it hard to believe that a single one would drop him or be anything less than understanding if he had to take proper time to prepare for the OLYMPIC season with new programs. I'm sorry, but for such a talented skater with all the tools and resources in the world at his disposal, this is just lazy.
The audience don't give athletes medals. That pretty much I know.

As a judge at piano competition before, we never give pianists lower than they deserve just because they perform Rachmaninov piano concerto No. 2 for the 1000th times. That is not disrespectful. To perfect their skills before the audience and make it the best they can do is very respectful.

Last edited:

friedbanana

End Turandot!
Final Flight
To me it feels disrespectful to the audience to use the same (very recent) program for three seasons, especially for a skater of Hanyu's stature. As one of the sport's greats with the largest fanbase in modern history of the sport, there should be a responsibility to create new works of performance art, new experiences for the audience, and thus raise the sport to new heights, both technically and artistically. It used to be that the judges looked down on recycled programs, but now that it doesn't seem to matter in PCS, it's as if he's saying "screw the inconvenience of learning new choreo, let me just focus on not popping the 4L." If that's the case, we may as well just judge the Olympics a la Tom Z's jump competition. And for all his media/sponsor obligations, I find it hard to believe that a single one would drop him or be anything less than understanding if he had to take proper time to prepare for the OLYMPIC season with new programs. I'm sorry, but for such a talented skater with all the tools and resources in the world at his disposal, this is just lazy.

Completely disagree with that point.

I'm disappointed and annoyed at the top men recycling old programs, especially in Yuzuru's case, but Yuzuru does not owe the audience anything of what you're asking, and that actually goes for any skater. It would be very nice for all the top men and their teams to come up with new programs that raise the bar both technically and artistically, but that's a tall order, and they don't have to accept it.

These are athletes chasing the Olympics, and while I might disagree and roll my eyes at their decisions for next season, they should ultimately be competing for themselves and doing what they think will best help them achieve their goals. Whether that aligns with the wants/desires/expectations of the audience is irrelevant. We are just spectators, and at the end of the day, these are their dreams.

Ender

Match Penalty
Completely disagree with that point.

I'm disappointed and annoyed at the top men recycling old programs, especially in Yuzuru's case, but Yuzuru does not owe the audience anything of what you're asking, and that actually goes for any skater. It would be very nice for all the top men and their teams to come up with new programs that raise the bar both technically and artistically, but that's a tall order, and they don't have to accept it.

These are athletes chasing the Olympics, and while I might disagree and roll my eyes at their decisions for next season, they should ultimately be competing for themselves and doing what they think will best help them achieve their goals. Whether that aligns with the wants/desires/expectations of the audience is irrelevant. We are just spectators, and at the end of the day, these are their dreams.
We, as audience, don't pay for the athletes' training. So I don't get how we can demand the athletes to perform as we want. I agree with you. It's their dreams and their lives, they do not own us anything.

Audience pay money to go to our concerts, yet as musicianswe still have the choice to perform which music pieces we want.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Waiting for the Ice dance teams to save us from these predictable choices.

I'm 101% sure the exhibition are going to be awesome for pretty much everyone though.

Procrastinator

On the Ice
His reasoning is right, it's olys everyone goes for the safest way to maximize scores, it's not wise risking with hard layouts in both programs. He's aiming for the highest GOEs he can get, he'll do it with the sp that scored the highest in FS history, with a little upgrade on BV. He knows that if he manages to bring that content with that program he's untouchable And he's also right when he says his 4T gives him the same "quality vibes" of his 3A which is constantly on the edge of getting +3 across the board (it should get it by default anyways) How many other skaters can count on that quality of execution on such jumps?

He doesn't need to "aim" for high GOEs. The judges consistently give him and Fernandez mostly +3s for just *landing* their quads. Take a look at Hanyu's 4Lo for instance. Whenever he lands it, it's usually slightly off-kilter and probably worth a +1, but the judges give him +2 and +3 just for staying on one foot. Similar treatment happens for Chen. The judges need to realize that the skaters are already being rewarded for the difficulty of the element via its *base value* and they should reserve +2/+3 GOE for elements that truly merit them in order to differentiate the skaters. One of these days soon, the men's judges are gonna find themselves in a pickle if Fernandez, Hanyu, etc. all skate clean and they give them all the automatic +2/+3 GOEs and 9.75/10.00 PCS that they're used to giving out at major championships and you end up with an absurd or indefensible result with a virtual tie that could have gone either way

Procrastinator

On the Ice
NO ONE has repeated as Olympic Champion since Dick Button in the men's division, so any plan he'd choose would still be an uphill battle against long odds. He doesn't have to convince 'people' or fans of this plan, he just needs to skate for the judges and go with what they want and skate as clean as possible.

It's hardly an uphill battle for Hanyu. Statistical odds are not equal to his actual chances of winning again, which I think are quite high. Hanyu's main issue has been timing to peak in Feb/March for Worlds and OG rather than peaking only for the GPF (which he did 2013-2016)

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain

The SP layout is clearly there with the approaches to quad combo and single quad in the first part and the Axel in the second. No changes there. (His jumps were apparently still on their way from Spain on Sunday evening or sth, because they simply were not there for the whole show.)

Now that it has been possible to properly watch the new piece, it is clear that it is a completely new program despite the Chaplin theme. Not only because of the change from FS to SP (which in itself means a very different kind of structure for the routine), but also because of the new music cut. The pieces are strictly from the Modern Times soundtrack, not a collection from the entire Chaplin back catalogue. Some of the moves in transitions and the step sequence refer to the old FS, but even those have been made a little bit differently. There is a comical element but the melancholy undertones from the movie are dominant. Because he knows part of the music already, the timing works ok even now, when it's been practiced for maybe for about a month (it was done after the WTT). Based on what happened with Black Betty which was brought out in FaOI 2014, many details will probably change for the final competition version. The costume may not be final - they are still working on that based on interviews - but the overalls is again a clear reference to Modern Times.

(If you wish to compare, here is the old FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbjXrgivm20)

The Chaplin FS was part of his first really good season when he won his first GP competition, the first Europeans and got his first Worlds medal. It was well-loved by audiences at the time. Back then, it was also his idea to do the Chaplin program. All this could be regarded as arguments for revisiting the theme. Now that he is starting what is probably his last season it is also a reminder of what was and what has happened since then.

Although I was not too pleased with the idea of doing a repeat in the beginning, watching it now as it is, I like the concept and the fact that it is a completely different program in almost every way, but for him also something familiar to build on in a very stressful season. A very elegant solution to the problem faced by all the top skaters.

For everyone who groans that Javi always chooses the same kind of music, I would like to point out that he certainly is not alone in that. The lighthearted and comedic is his forte, he excels in that in a way that no one else of the current crop of skaters can come even close to (Kurt Browning in his prime could maybe beat Javi in this). So they would be very stupid to give him a lyrical piece a la Chan for example. And that is also why Chan and the others stick to what ever they are best at...

E

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Waiting for the Ice dance teams to save us from these predictable choices.

I'm 101% sure the exhibition are going to be awesome for pretty much everyone though.

After all the expected and tired choices for competitive programs this coming season will bring, I surely want some variety in those EXs to make up for it a little. We might all just enjoy the galas more than the competitions themselves for once. :agree:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Alexandrovskaya/Windsor (AUS)
SP: remix of "Paint it Black" by the Rolling Stones