2017-2018 Programs by Discipline | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Programs by Discipline

Weathergal

Medalist
Alex Johnson USA

SP-Legends by Sacred Spirit (Tom Dickson choreo)
LP-Mea Culpa and Sadeness by Enigma (Rohene Ward choreo)

Hannah Miller

SP: Torn by Nathan Lanier; choreography by Daniil Barantsev

FP: selections from The Hunger Games; choreography by Tom Dickson

Yay! :)

(Not familiar with the SP piece.)

I'm also happy about her FP music selection (and not familiar with her SP music). I only recall one skater using Hunger Games. I think it was Matilda Algotsson of Sweden for her SP a few years ago.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Are we sure that the Shibs will only be using Paradise by Coldplay? It seems sort of incomplete by itself, if they do a medley of some sort it might be more cohesive as a piece of music and also as an ice dance couple.

OTOH, I'm really liking the change of pace from Marie-France and her camp, the choices for Smart/Diaz and Hubbell/Donahue seem quite fresh and appropriate for them. I'm really looking forward to hearing the music choices for V/M and P/C.

Barb

Record Breaker
Are we sure that the Shibs will only be using Paradise by Coldplay? It seems sort of incomplete by itself, if they do a medley of some sort it might be more cohesive as a piece of music and also as an ice dance couple.

OTOH, I'm really liking the change of pace from Marie-France and her camp, the choices for Smart/Diaz and Hubbell/Donahue seem quite fresh and appropriate for them. I'm really looking forward to hearing the music choices for V/M and P/C.

no, we are not sure. Alex has suggested that it is not the only piece.

Ender

Match Penalty
At least we won't have some FDs sounding almost the same next season across competitions from all top teams, I assume.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
At least we won't have some FDs sounding almost the same next season across competitions from all top teams, I assume.

When you add some meat to the mush, at least you have the chance of a more interesting stew.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Are we sure that the Shibs will only be using Paradise by Coldplay?

https://twitter.com/AlexShibutani/status/863151098395320320

This would imply that there is more to the story.

I am grateful for any & all variety in ice dance this season.

The free dances were tough, but the pairs free skates were even more so in my opinion last year. It's very difficult to stay awake for those all night competitions when everyone is skating to love-is-a-dream music. I'm feeling better about dance this year. One thing you can give the dancers credit for. They do hear the feedback about their programs. I'm still concerned about the pairs.

LRK

Record Breaker
What is with the covers of perfectly great songs in the original? No Simon & Garfunkle Sounds of Silence? No Rolling Stones' Paint It Black? No Louis Armstrong What a Wonderful World?

Oh wait, it's figure skating. I feel like I'm back in 70's ice dance "cover" purgatory...:slink:

Hear, hear! :clap:

(Even if it only you and me, el henry - these covers are driving me nuts... )

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
What is with the covers of perfectly great songs in the original? No Simon & Garfunkle Sounds of Silence? No Rolling Stones' Paint It Black? No Louis Armstrong What a Wonderful World?

Oh wait, it's figure skating. I feel like I'm back in 70's ice dance "cover" purgatory...:slink:

I actually agreed with the cover of "The Sound of Silence"; it had more power and attack. The S&G version would have been too soft.

Weathergal

Medalist
I actually agreed with the cover of "The Sound of Silence"; it had more power and attack. The S&G version would have been too soft.

Yes, I enjoyed the cover and thought it fit well in both Eladj Balde's SP and James / Cipres' FP this season.

That being said, there are many covers I don't enjoy...

LRK

Record Breaker
The Sound of Silence cover... I thought it turned an eerie, beautiful, haunting song into a dreary, dismal drone. I need hardly add, I think, that I wasn't a fan.;) Of course I know I'm in a minority on this, but that's all right, I'm used to it.:) Funnily enough, I didn't mind Elladj's SP halff as much as James/Cipres' long - so I thought - hopefully (because I like them and wanted to enjoy their program) - that maybe I was getting used to it, but back to J/C and... no such luck.

So, I'll nominate a cover that I didn't mind at all - I heard with trepidation that Duhamel/Radford were going to use a cover of Non, je ne regrette rien. But, as it turned out... I liked it. It kept the original's melody and power. But, I won't be surprised to learn that I might be a minority on that one too.;) :)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
The Sound of Silence cover... I thought it turned an eerie, beautiful, haunting song into a dreary, dismal drone. I need hardly add, I think, that I wasn't a fan.;) Of course I know I'm in a minority on this, but that's all right, I'm used to it.:) Funnily enough, I didn't mind Elladj's SP halff as much as James/Cipres' long - so I thought - hopefully (because I like them and wanted to enjoy their program) - that maybe I was getting used to it, but back to J/C and... no such luck.

So, I'll nominate a cover that I didn't mind at all - I heard with trepidation that Duhamel/Radford were going to use a cover of Non, je ne regrette rien. But, as it turned out... I liked it. It kept the original's melody and power. But, I won't be surprised to learn that I might be a minority on that one too.;) :)

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Loved the S/G cover, was bored senseless by the Non, je ne regrette rien cover.

Then again, that's how I felt about each of those programs too...

:think:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love Elladj and could not *stand* that Sound of Silence cover. (Dare I say I never watched James/Cipres.....:slink:)

But it's not really the point. I am sure there a million original slow dirges (Adam's original LP last year comes to mind) that a skater could choose if they wanted one. Why a cover, even if you think it is the most brilliant take on the song ever made?

But that may be like fighting warhorses; too bad, so sad, won't make any difference;)

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Why a cover?

Aside from the two obvious answers?
1. It may be more affordable.
2. It may be watchable on youtube so that all your efforts are not a loss for the general viewing public who can help spread the word about your programs.

3. It may be a more appropriate length for a skating program.
4. It may build & create a more powerful climax for a skating program.
5. (I really don't care for this one). It may have a male/female voice to match the male/female performer.
6. It may be have a lighter tone & be less likely to overwhelm or overshadow the performer.
7. It may adapt better to the amplification within an ice arena.
8. The sound quality may hold up better than an early, original recording.
9. The skater(s) may like it better.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Aside from the two obvious answers?
1. It may be more affordable.
2. It may be watchable on youtube so that all your efforts are not a loss for the general viewing public who can help spread the word about your programs.

3. It may be a more appropriate length for a skating program.
4. It may build & create a more powerful climax for a skating program.
5. (I really don't care for this one). It may have a male/female voice to match the male/female performer.
6. It may be have a lighter tone & be less likely to overwhelm or overshadow the performer.
7. It may adapt better to the amplification within an ice arena.
8. The sound quality may hold up better than an early, original recording.
9. The skater(s) may like it better.

And the one you didn't list....it's a way for skaters/coaches/choreographers to get around copyright...if they use the original then they run the risk.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
And the one you didn't list....it's a way for skaters/coaches/choreographers to get around copyright...if they use the original then they run the risk.

There you go. Number ten. (Though it is essentially the reason covers are more affordable & watchable on youtube).

Tavi...

Record Breaker

Actually, I'm not sure it makes a difference. Someone who records a cover version of a copyrighted work (1) is supposed to license the rights from the original author of the work; and (2) holds a copyright in the recorded performance. So there are still copyright issues.

However, I don't think a skater directly licenses music for his or her programs; I think NBC, etc. do it for broadcasts; for local events, I think the rinks probably do (I'm not 100% sure, though). If it's for charity, a license may not be necessary.

https://www.ascap.com/music-users/types/sports-and-competitive-events
https://www.ascap.com/~/media/655449c494b748ba89edc4864655e1b6.pdf