2017-2018 Programs by Discipline | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Programs by Discipline

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
You are right, but it wasn't exactly a masterpiece either

I hate Exogenesis. (Never cared for Jeremy's version). But for an Igor program, C&P's results with it were very successful. They went from being the U.S.'s #4 junior team, finishing behind Pogrebinsky & Benoit, and not making Junior Worlds to defeating last year's internationally undefeated Junior World Champions with it. Every senior dance team on the planet would like to duplicate that feat in the senior ranks.

Last edited:

Barb

Record Breaker
IMO, C/P exogenesis program is the cheapest of the programs using that music, and that is saying a lot considering Ashley´s.

sarama

Medalist
I hate Exogenesis. (Never cared for Jeremy's version). But for an Igor program, C&P's results with it were very successful. They went from being the U.S.'s #4 junior team, finishing behind Pogrebinsky & Benoit, and not making Junior Worlds to defeating last year's internationally undefeated Junior World Champions with it. Every senior dance team on the planet would like to duplicate that feat in the senior ranks.

I think their success has to do more with the fact that they are indeed very good ice dancers with an excellent coach (albeit hopeless as a choreographer). Their success wasn't out of the blue, especially since last season they were still super young (especially he is, for the standard​s of the discipline). McNamara/Carpenter had a nightmare season, it wasn't a huge accomplishment to surpass them (and I say this as huge Lorraine and Quinn's fan)

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
If we're using 'beating McNamara/Carpenter' as a measure of a team's success and growth then 5 other teams can also claim their programs were amazing to do so.

chameleon

On the Ice
I thought C/P's FD was good for what it was. The elements and choreography were well placed to the music and by the time Junior Worlds rolled around they had really grown in their interpretation of the music and were lovely. Was it a super original masterpiece? No, because they're a sixteen year old dance team in their third season together, let's have some reasonable expectations here.

I thought Ashley's LP was... Fine? She kind of had a lackluster season overall, and when she made mistakes the music didn't help her, but you can't have programs that are perfectly suited to you every year.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
about Muse's 'Exogenesis'...firstly, I bet Matthew and guys have no idea thier song serves as a warhorse du jour in FS:laugh:

then, I feel myself like a skater has to establish some kind of deep 'bond' with that kind of music, personal one or artistic one, or another one to make that music alive, breathing and working with skater, not aside him/her. And I do feel like Jeremy made one with that piece of music while performing his FS to it, it felt like he spend a lot of time with that music off ice, too - thinking about it, contemplating it...And his skating to it felt very thoughtful, deliberate, strong without obvious force emanating from expression. Honestly, I did not feel anything like that with any other skater/team skating to 'Exogenesis'...But we'll see how it will be with Charlene/Marco, personally I'd love to see them in something upbeat, musical-like, with lively storyline to act out.

Nathan13

Medalist
I see that Aliona and Bruno are working with Christopher Dean for a program (I think their free skate?) :hap57::clap::hap85: While I find it hard to imagine anything topping what they did this year (at least for me, it was a very, very moving program), I can't wait to see what they come up with.

And I'll add my own two cents on Exogenesis--I love the song and I never tire of it, so as a warhorse I love seeing it :agree:

yuna13

On the Ice
Christopher dean is doing a lot of programs this year: the brits SD, chock and bates FD ( not sure) , scimeca/knierim chaplin (Lp I think) and now Aliona and Bruno. Perhaps he will also choreograph something for piper and Paul!! Can't wait to see all of his work.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
If we're using 'beating McNamara/Carpenter' as a measure of a team's success and growth then 5 other teams can also claim their programs were amazing to do so.

And when a top 12 senior dance team chooses to skate to the music that one of those other teams used this season, one of us can be sure and mention it in this thread.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
about Muse's 'Exogenesis'...firstly, I bet Matthew and guys have no idea thier song serves as a warhorse du jour in FS:laugh:

then, I feel myself like a skater has to establish some kind of deep 'bond' with that kind of music, personal one or artistic one, or another one to make that music alive, breathing and working with skater, not aside him/her. And I do feel like Jeremy made one with that piece of music while performing his FS to it, it felt like he spend a lot of time with that music off ice, too - thinking about it, contemplating it...And his skating to it felt very thoughtful, deliberate, strong without obvious force emanating from expression. Honestly, I did not feel anything like that with any other skater/team skating to 'Exogenesis'...But we'll see how it will be with Charlene/Marco, personally I'd love to see them in something upbeat, musical-like, with lively storyline to act out.

Actually, they do know. Matt has met Jeremy and they've have talked about it, his skating to it, and then skaters using it since...pseudo new aged warhorse skating piece.

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
And when a top 12 senior dance team chooses to skate to the music that one of those other teams used this season, one of us can be sure and mention it in this thread.

It'd be interesting to think the Italians watched junior Worlds and picked out this piece but they may have just watched Ashley Wagner...or Roman Sadovsky...or Jeremy...or any number of skaters who've used this piece. Or perhaps they just liked this piece. Correlation does not imply causation after all.

Andrea82

Medalist
Rings a bell... Is that Radionova's music from a few seasons back?

yes, her FP in 2014/15 season.

Also used for Michelle Kwan's SP at 1998 Olympics. The Piano Concerto No. 3 part was used by Shen/Zhao for their SP in 2006 OG.

Last edited:

gmjzm123

Spectator
Good choice for them! Better than Flamenco definitely... I feel like that's more their style. Can't wait to see what they make out of that great music!

QuadThrow

Medalist
Good choice for them! Better than Flamenco definitely... I feel like that's more their style. Can't wait to see what they make out of that great music!

I see that Aliona and Bruno are working with Christopher Dean for a program (I think their free skate?) :hap57::clap::hap85: While I find it hard to imagine anything topping what they did this year (at least for me, it was a very, very moving program), I can't wait to see what they come up with.

And I'll add my own two cents on Exogenesis--I love the song and I never tire of it, so as a warhorse I love seeing it :agree:

I agree. I just cannot imagine how they want to top this year's programs. It does not get any better.

If one of the new programs does not work they could switch to the old one right before the Olympics;) This would be typical for Aljona.

2010: S/S changes to Out of Africa after a horrible grand prix in France
2014: S/S changes to Pink Panter in the SP just before sochi

I think the changes were right in both cases. But the Gold was not theirs.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
No no no don't jinx them. :drama: Though I really loved Out of Africa from S/S despite the very short preparation for it. That was a masterpiece! It was so unfortunate for them as Shen/Zhao returned to competition because of their unfulfilled dream. Besides, the Pink Panther SP in a compact form was also better than the FS version, but....changing a program in the middle of Olympic season is highly risky and looks like you're not fully prepared for the biggest event in your life. That can get you more nervous and the judges see you differently.

I'm willing to embrace whatever outcome will come for Aliona at the end of next season as long as the judging is fair and square unlike Sochi. I even might be happy if the reigning WC or any team who perform the best take the gold at PyeongChang, but....all Aliona wants from her long and magnificent career is an Olympic gold. That's why she and Bruno fight for their right to compete against the French feds' unjustifiable treatment.

Last edited:

QuadThrow

Medalist
No no no don't jinx them. :drama: Though I really loved Out of Africa from S/S despite the very short preparation for it. That was a masterpiece! It was so unfortunate for them as Shen/Zhao returned to competition because of their unfulfilled dream. Besides, the Pink Panther SP in a compact form was also better than the FS version, but....changing a program in the middle of Olympic season is highly risky and looks like you're not fully prepared for the biggest event in your life. That can get you more nervous and the judges see you differently.

I'm willing to embrace whatever outcome will come for Aliona at the end of next season as long as the judging is fair and square unlike Sochi. I even might be happy if the reigning WC or any team who perform the best take the gold at PyeongChang, but....all Aliona wants from her long and magnificent career is an Olympic gold. That's why she and Bruno fight for their right to compete against the French feds' unjustifiable treatment.

I remember Aljona saying she regreted not having switched back to Schindler's List in 2010. I really do not care. They lost the Gold because of two technical mistakes and in 2014 the judges were not fair.

I think Aljona AND Bruno want the Gold. But she is not that stubborn anymore. Btw she chosed a new partner who would go with her till 2022.