2017-2018 Programs by Discipline | Page 55 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Programs by Discipline

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
So, it seems like Weaver/Poje are doing Adagio from Spartacus for their FD! :love:

https://mobile.twitter.com/WeaverPoje/status/892020200970739718

The Free Dances for the season are just so different from one another for now, this is what I wanted !!! And I think I'm happy for WeaPo, great choice for them !!
Well I'm still waiting for P/C, V/M, G/P and C/L to announce their choices, but I probably have to wait until end of August for V/M and G/P (Canada's camp I guess) and for P/C the day of their first competition I guess :rofl:

liv

Record Breaker
Oohhhh. They could do a really good job with that .... bring on the season!!! Loving that choice for them.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I'd like to push back on this a bit. It's true that it's been awhile since we've seen a Carmen program from the any of the top skaters (at least as far as I can remember), but that doesn't mean that Habanera isn't a popular choice for Carmen programs. In my memory, Habanera -- and even Habanera+footwork -- is the most common feature of all Carmen programs (at least, when women skaters are involved). In fact, Gabby Daleman, our other big-name Carmen so far this year, announced her program with a clip of herself skating a step sequence to Habanera. (Although I give Gabby credit: she has put a different twist on this choice by including vocals.)

I think it is legitimate to complain about skaters reusing the same cuts of music. Karen may be admirable in her attack, and the music may be powerful no matter how many times the audience has heard it paired with the same skating elements, but there is still something derivative about a program composed in this way... literally because it was derived from other figure skating programs rather than from the original score.

How amazing would it be to see a Carmen step out onto the ice in a costume composed of pinks, riotous green, and black fringe, like this design (far right), and then skate her step sequence to the flirty and melodic opening section of Seguidilla rather than Habanera? The music and general lore of Carmen is rich with possibility, yet skaters resort to tinkering around the edges of a few costume and musical options over and over again. I sympathize with audience members who want to see something different.

Honestly, the last Carmens I can really remember in the past few seasons were Sotnikova (who as you said used Habanera), Kanako, Fumie Suguri, Tessa/Scott, among some others, and a lot of them have opted to NOT use Habanera. The darker Carmens seem to be the style these days.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Although I'm not intimately familiar enough with the opera or with Schedrin's Carmen Suite for ballet, my impression is that for decades when vocal music was not allowed a large percentage of skaters using music from Carmen were using Schedrin's arrangements.

And that skaters who used different versions, including those who use the original vocals now, probably think they're thinking outside the box even if the melodies are the same ones so many other skaters have used in the past.

sarama

Medalist
Why does the video have so many dislikes?, the choreo is average and predictable, but her skating is fabulous, and more considering we are in july.

I had not noticed, but I will go like her video immediately now:biggrin:... I really like this program, and for being July the performance was outstanding

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Apparently this is the SP for Nathan Chen. Song is Nemesis by Benjamin Clementine.

Edited: Apparently the person who had the clips took them down.

ETA: Have to say -- it's a pretty fresh choice. If he can maintain the performance level here AND do the quads, it's going to be a tough program to beat.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Apparently this is the SP for Nathan Chen. Song is Nemesis by Benjamin Clementine.

ETA: Have to say -- it's a pretty fresh choice. If he can maintain the performance level here AND do the quads, it's going to be a tough program to beat.

Here is the video I shared in the mens thread the other day https://www.instagram.com/p/BXLF0X0FC5z/?taken-by=skater_on_ice as well as identifying that it definitely is his Sp and what music was in posts before this video showed up online.

NOTE: This is not my video, but as I've extensively said in the Nathan fan fest I was there and it's excellent and will only get better.

ETA: Jackie Wong had shared the original video post on Instagram so here it's preserved forever haha! https://www.instagram.com/p/BXNwJBnF5eN/?taken-by=rockerskating&hl=en

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
So, it seems like Weaver/Poje are doing Adagio from Spartacus for their FD! :love:

https://mobile.twitter.com/WeaverPoje/status/892020200970739718

fantastic match for them in my opinion, it is indeed basically nothing of they've done in their competitive career, but still the music seems to be very 'them' at their best: platform to tell the story and portray emotions, give out that intensity of their partnership. I cannot wait to see choreography and costumes, but I predict there wil be a great attention to detail, transitions and to musicality:cheer:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Carmen on skates always disappoints me a little because, for me, it is as much about the intricate dance steps as it is about the music... So, I really don't care what music is used as long as it is done well from a skating perspective and the passionate flavor of the story comes through and rings true...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=46Y9m81AMkA

andromache

Record Breaker

His SP looks magnificent. Do we know if it's Marina's choreography?

Last season I said that for the Olympic year here should go edgy/modern for SP, classical ballet for LP. We're halfway there.

Nika09

On the Ice
What S.L.Bourne has done with Chen is unbelievable! From quite boring "just skate and jump" into an artist with touch of her beautiful choreography. That's exactly what Nathan needed. And you could see how he really enjoys to skate it.
This SP definitely going to be one of my favorites in Men's field this season. Let's call it nemesis...

ioanna

Record Breaker
Nathan Chen already had the artistry, albeit predominantly shown in his junior programs so far. Shae-Lynn Bourne knew how to take advantage of it.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Nathan Chen's SP is exactly what he needs. It's young and fresh, but not immature or juniorish. It also shows off what many already knew he had in him and shows off his skating skills well.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States