OniBan

Final Flight
NOOOOOOOOOOO

I HAVEN'T WATCHED MAO COMPETE LIVE YET

:sad21: :sad21: :sad21: :sad21: :sad21: :sad21: :sad21: :sad21: :sad21: :sad21:

Mao don't go!!!!

thoakun

Final Flight
In Japan, ice shows are taken seriously. Shizuka managed to grow in artistry and became even more breathtaking as a show skater, so I never doubt that Mao can do the same with her dedication to skating.

LRK

Record Breaker
Please please please don't make this a "who's better who's worse." This is about Mao. Stop this please.

Yes, this thread should be a celebration of Mao - a place to express one's appreciation & admiration. Surely, there's the rest of The Edge to take all these X versus Y fights to?

Anyway, maybe this has been posted already, if so, apologies:

https://twitter.com/yokotanpeshenko/...75506894643201 Plushy's message to Mao

(posted by plushyfan in the Plush fan fest)

lyndichee

Medalist
That's exactly my point, i've never understood comparison between skaters from different generations. What's the point?

Mao is a legendary skater no matter what, even comparisons with Yuna are so questionable since they have very different qualities.

This isn't about Yuna. It was just about how together they defined a generation. You brought in Evgenia and that became a catalyst of discussion about this generation's skaters.

Walk away. Don't bring up other skaters to compare. Anyways, I am done.

Leave this just to Mao.

Last edited:

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
What to say about Mao? It's almost impossible to put in a post...

Mao never had the luxury of being able to rely on inflated international scoring or favoritism. I feel so proud to be a fan of hers because you feel like each and every accomplishment was won through her own sweat and tears, especially when the media and skating community turned on her for being to stubborn, keeping the triple axel, etc. You never feel like Mao was "gifted" anything but her own innate musicality and grace. Even in the face of harsh criticism, she never lashed out, or blamed anybody, she just kept silently working hard to improve herself and be the best skater she could be. She taught us that kindness does not equal weakness. That gentleness is a strength.

She grew up from a carefree, young, energetic prodigy to a woman skater who met her own fair share of challenges, losses, and personal tragedies. Now, at 26, she has grown into this amazing person who knows of heartache and difficulties, yet still possesses this incredible smile. It's not the smile of a little girl anymore, but a serene, calm one of someone who knows they can overcome whatever the future has in store.

Watching Mao at the press conference, her smile, her eyes...she had such a peaceful "glow" about her. I feel like she's transcended some kind of burden, no longer worrying about some future skating goal, or her injuries, or chasing anything. There's a new lightness about her. I think she will begin to enjoy life even more from this point on :yes:

At the press conference, she said that she ended her 2014 Sochi FS with a pose "looking up." I think that's how I'll always remember Mao...the one who is always looking towards the sky. :luv17: Thank you forever, Mao-chan.

Last edited:

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
The main reason why she retired was the worst result in her career at the Japanese championships, where she finished 12th. Her left knee pain prevented her from performing a triple axel jump throughout the season but she made the final attempt at the Japanese championships, which was praised as a bold move. Mao was making a couple of successful landings in practise. I was hoping that she would recover from the injury by the next season. Mao decided to retire in February and the decision has nothing to do with the two slots for Pyeongchang, according to the press conference. She also said that today's figure skating world is too competitive and she felt that she couldn't catch up with others at every tournament. When she returned in 2015, "Liza" Tuktamysheva was her main rival and she motivated her to come back. The emergence Evgenia Medvedeva as an unrivaled world champion afterwards made it tougher for Mao to compete at the top level.

Last edited:

Barb

Record Breaker
Mao is though only 2 centimetres shorter than Daisuke (163 vs 165 according to ISU).

given that this is not and won´t be real, I can accept that Maia and Alex split up, Alex somehow get japanese citizen and skate with Mao :yay:
Paul and Piper split up and Paul skate with Maia :hap57:.

gotoschool

Medalist
Last edited:

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
I thought I would include this information here, since I think it is important to Mao's retirement. It stresses that Mao's left knee pain was an intense condition that was not normal and that there was the thought that it would be difficult for Mao to return to the same condition as before. Article appearing on April 12th.

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20170412-00000062-sph-spo

Yes, the quote is from Coach Sato. But notice one thing: during her retirement press conference, there was no one, NONE of the questions asked, involve Mao's health condition. While there's no surprise that it might be a request from Mao's side to not ask about it, I'd take it's her preference to not reveal anything about her condition and think it should be respected.