Mao Asada announces retirement | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada announces retirement

yude

Record Breaker
Mao, thank you so much for giving us beautiful moments and fighting under tremendous pressure the country gave. Watching you grow as a skater and a lady, we smiled and cried with you all these years, what a wonderful time we had. You are still our beloved daughter and grandchild, and you always will be.

Otukaresamadeshita, Mao-chan!! I hope we're going to see your smile in the press conference tomorrow :)

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
TV Asahi is cancelling regular programming and airing a special retrospective from 7pm (30 minutes from now)

Although the currently airing news program has been talking about for the last 30 minutes…

Edit: Fuji TV will have their own retrospective tomorrow at 7pm.

Last edited:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Wow, Miki is such a class act:

🦋Dear Mao🦋
Thank you for showing us your emotional skating!!! I was so happy to share the time with you on the ice and I am so proud of you😌🇯🇵✨ and also proud of myself to competed with you in Japanese team as Japanese!!! You are beautiful skater and sweet girl with pure heart💕 this is not the end!!! This is new start for her⛸🦋 I'm sure your next skating life will shine as always😌✨ I'm sure you'll give your heart to all of the world🌎🦋❤️ again thank you so much for being a great performer⛸✨✨✨🇯🇵✨✨✨ with a lot of love

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Don't need to understand her building Legos and playing with her dog.

Better get comfortable…this is a three hour special!

Wonderful program! Just to recap, we just saw footage of:
13-yr old Mao in the same room with Shizuka and Miki
13-yr old Mao landing a marvelous 3A
14-yr old Mao write on a piece of paper: Goal of 2005 - Land a quadruple jump
15-yr old Mao roaming the streets of Paris with a digital camera being adorable

mary01

Final Flight
Watching now!

Starting with praise from Shizuka Arakawa, Marin Honda, and Sato coach (who only learned of her decision this morning right before she announced it)

This just shows, that she was not close to her coach at all, just like i suspected, the fact that she took such a big decision without discussing it with her coach, shows she was not close to him at all, I will miss Mao's beautiful skating and programs like crazy, she is my favourite athete and skater ever, but can't help but feel very mad thinking how alone she must have felt and betrayed to by the JSF, she secured 3 spots for japan year after year for a decade, and raked gold medals and titles for a decade for japan, now when she finally needed one spot and was forced to rely on the others to secure it, and they failed, she paid the price, the way the judges at nationals scored her beautiful programs makes my blood boil, but now that she retired she does not have to share any of her income with the JSF or ISU and that makes me soooo sooooooo happy, they do not deserve a penny!

Last edited:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
[/B]

This just shows, that she was not close to her coach at all, just like i suspected, the fact that she took such a big decision without discussing it with her coach, shows she was not close to him at all, I will miss Mao's beautiful skating and programs like crazy, she is my favourite athete and skater ever, but can't help but feel very mad thinking how alone she must have felt and betrayed to by the JSF, she secured 3 spots for japan year after year for a decade, and raked gold medals and titles for a decade for japan, now when she finally needed one spot and was forced to rely on the others to secure it, and they failed, she paid the price, the way the judges at nationals scored her beautiful programs at nationals makes my blood boil, but now that she retired she does not have to share any of her income with the JSF or ISU and that makes me soooo sooooooo happy, they do not deserve a penny!

That's one thing that I regret about Mao ... that she did not go to other coaches outside Japan back in 2015 / 2016 season and for the most part stayed there. I felt that her coaching situation was sorta awkward but on the other hand I can understand that after training so much in foreign countries you want to spend time in your own country, in your culture and close to your family.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
https://youtu.be/it0xzny6nsw

so this is her last competitive program. Perfect and not perfect at the same time: surely this is not how she wanted to perform, but I am glad that the last element she does, which is also the element she is the best at and famous for and unmatched in, receives a perfect +3 GOEs across the board.

StSq4 3.90+2.10 = 6.00

DiamondDust

Final Flight
aww... I am so gonna miss Mao. There is a certain etherealness to her skating that none, and that is no one can match. Good luck to her future endeavors. I wish her all the best. :clap:

champs

Final Flight
In the TV Asahi program mentioned above, they aired recorded footage of Medvedeva and Plushenko each commenting on Mao's retirement. Pretty surprised they managed to get hold of the two in time for the tv program.

thoakun

Final Flight
Her retirement is not surprising, but I'm still stunned. She's the first human being to teach me the value of work ethics, commitment and integrity indirectly through the beauty of her effort every day and her beautiful skating. I wish her all the best :thank:

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
In the TV Asahi program mentioned above, they aired recorded footage of Medvedeva and Plushenko each commenting on Mao's retirement. Pretty surprised they managed to get hold of the two in time for the tv program.

Yes I was impressed too :laugh: The latter Zhenya was interviewed on the ice at what seemed to be the Plushenko Academy, looking dapper.

Icey

Record Breaker
I predicted this in a recent forum thread. She will be missed and she certainly raised the bar of the sport. She had a good run, but I think this is a decision in her own best interest.

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Bilingual retirement-news featuring a few comments and messages from some of her contemporaries (Shizuka, Nobu, Dai & Yuzu):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2nY4pHUScE

She was a truly exceptional competitor. A hardworkig, focused and gritty athlete with a humble, kind-hearted and endearingly cheerful spirit.

For me she was unmatched in combining such high-level athleticism with unbelievable ethereal grace. Her aura leaps off the TV-screen, but when I had the chance to see her live it truly hit me how special she is and I could easily sense why she is regarded such an icon. Yes, there were ups and downs, but overall she's had a wonderful career to look back on and be proud of. In the end it's the deep impression she's left in countless people's hearts, which matters the most. In that regard she's one of the greatest ever.

I think her many wonderful qualities will get her far in life no matter what she tackles next. With her perseverance and determination she can succeed at anything. I wish her happiness, as well as joy and fulfillment in all her future endeavors.

Thank you, Mao!

Last edited:

SuzyQ

Medalist
We knew this would happen someday, not before long. But still, such a shock of loss.

Mao Asada, such a great athlete. She never stopped pursuing improvement in her performance. If she chose easier layout or elements, she could have won more with her splendid artistry. But she took tougher way with her head held high.

We have never heard her speaking ill of or complaining about others, including the media that was not always good or fair on her, or judging that honestly we fans thought unfair (I'm still angry especially about the scores of her FS at Sochi :devil: Of course there are so many more complaints I want to make.) She just kept making every effort to improve herself without complaining.

Mao, we are really proud of you, as a skater as well as a person. You are a real idol for all of us. (My eyes start aching in writing this as trying not to cry :sad21:)

Thank you and wish all the happiness for you in future :thank:

Harsher bloodbath for tickets of "The Ice" for sure :palmf: