Gracie Gold: 2017 Stars on Ice Interview | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold: 2017 Stars on Ice Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puchi

On the Ice
My dad was abruptly fired from a high profile job at the end of my senior year of high school and then also lost our home. I managed to take my exams and do just fine the very week it all happened. I even managed to take the AP English test and get the highest possible score while not knowing where I'd be living by the end of the weekend.

I just don't think that this is an excuse. At all.

Did you manage to do all this while training as an elite athlete, competing internationally, with the burden of expectations from fans, sponsors, your federation and whatnot, and the scrutiny from sports media worldwide? If so, you're such a tough cookie.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
But we don't know that that is the case. We don't know what may or may not have been going on with her father prior to this. The family has effectively lived apart for a long time--since September, 2013. We don't in fact know what her relationship with her father is like at all. We don't know if her parents are open with her about their financial details. We don't know if she was even told that his change in employment was due to any outside issue. A lot of people keep a lot of details from their kids, even young adults.

My dad was abruptly fired from a high profile job at the end of my senior year of high school and then also lost our home. I managed to take my exams and do just fine the very week it all happened. I even managed to take the AP English test and get the highest possible score while not knowing where I'd be living by the end of the weekend.

Good for you, but you are not Gracie and you haven't lived a day in her boots.

You said yourself, we don't know exactly how close or open she is with her parents because we aren't her or close to her, so why are you making the assumption that it can't be a reason for her poor form. Maybe it's weighing really heavily on her or maybe it isn't. As Moxiejan said, it's a context, not an excuse.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
But we don't know that that is the case. We don't know what may or may not have been going on with her father prior to this. The family has effectively lived apart for a long time--since September, 2013. We don't in fact know what her relationship with her father is like at all. We don't know if her parents are open with her about their financial details. We don't know if she was even told that his change in employment was due to any outside issue. A lot of people keep a lot of details from their kids, even young adults.

Yes, and the reason that the family has effectively lived apart is due to the needs of her skating career. Perhaps she has been feeling some guilt at the fact that her father was left by himself?

As for the details somehow being kept from her: There were court hearing & rulings that were reported publicly. Not sure how this could have been kept from her.

As for her father's "change in employment": He went from being a highly respected hospital executive to a guy without a medical license who lost affiliations at both locations of his practice. Most of which was happening from 6/2016 through 2/2017.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Well, whoop-de-doo and great for you. But you're not Gracie and she's not you. And every human being responds differently to strife.

I cannot with the snobby "well I did it, why don't you?".

moriel

Record Breaker
Well, whoop-de-doo and great for you. But you're not Gracie and she's not you. And every human being responds differently to strife.

I cannot with the snobby "well I did it, why don't you?".

Its not really snobby - many people did it, in fact, not just one GS user.
So, while we can pity Gracie and want to support her, it is not an excuse for what happened, specially considering she is actually an adult. Because like, many russian teenage girls actually support their families with their skating - see Adelina and her sister, for instance.

andromache

Record Breaker
Its not really snobby - many people did it, in fact, not just one GS user.
So, while we can pity Gracie and want to support her, it is not an excuse for what happened, specially considering she is actually an adult. Because like, many russian teenage girls actually support their families with their skating - see Adelina and her sister, for instance.

Literally no one is saying it's an excuse???

As has been said above so many times "it's a context, not an excuse."

A reason doesn't equal an excuse.

And congratulations to everyone in the world who has dealt with stress and succeeded anyway. Now if only everyone else in the world who deals with stress and faces setbacks could just get over themselves and stop being weak and selfish.

moriel

Record Breaker
Literally no one is saying it's an excuse???

As has been said above so many times "it's a context, not an excuse."

A reason doesn't equal an excuse.

And congratulations to everyone in the world who has dealt with stress and succeeded anyway. Now if only everyone else in the world who deals with stress and faces setbacks could just get over themselves and stop being weak and selfish.

Not what feels from many posts in this thread.
But i agree it is a plausible reason for what happened to her last season. Specially because chances are it was a known issue for the family even before her father got suspended.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Sorry there are just too many contexts or reasons. Early last season, the context was her twin sister quit skating and went to college, so Gracie is left alone because twins have special connections, and there is the depression from Boston, and Gracie is a perfectionist. Then there is the context of her not training last summer, or Frank using the wrong strategy for her sp... If skating is really affecting her mental health even a short-term, doing something else (e.g., college) is probably much better for Gracie. If Gracie is good friends with Ashely now, she should learn from Ashely's mental toughness.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Everyone has had their say, and the thread is straying into gossip about the family of the skater. So the thread will be closed. If new news about Gracie's skating, programs or interviews appear, a new thread can be opened.

Status
Not open for further replies.