SPOILERS: Gymnastics Individual Events | Page 2 | Golden Skate

SPOILERS: Gymnastics Individual Events

IDLERACER

Medalist
On the women's floor, Mohini Bhardwaj should definitely have scored higher. That Dominique Dawes move where you suddenly spring back in the other direction after a tumbling run, is still quite a crowd pleaser. Just my opinion.

TNT2012

Rinkside
kappa_1 said:
I'm officially fed up with hearing Al Trautwig speak. I just don't get how Paul Hamm "never messing up like that on high bar (like the Korean did in the EF)" has to do with anything. Shut up already! We should be grateful that we have Terry Ganon and not him.
God, wasn't he awful? I hate to have to listen to a commentator voicing his opinions on a sport that he has absolutely no clue what it's all about. I respect Tim Dagget for his place in the sport's history, but for some reason, I was getting more and more annoyed with his voice as the competition progressed. It just seemed to gradually grow higher in pitch and more grating to my ears. I really don't even know why I feel that way. *weird*

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
berthes ghost said:
Although Nemov performed with a lot of style, he didn't stick the landing. He was very professional about it and even signaled for the cround to be quite and sit down, trying to restore calm. You would think you were at a soccer match. :eek:
Now Nemov, too, is saying that the games were fixed in advance, but of course he isn't getting nearly the beating that Svetlana got over it.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
In my limited understanding of scoring, for Nemov's routine I can see a 1/10 deduction for the bobble in form in one of the handstands/swings and probably 2/10 deduction for the really bad landing (it wasn't just a hop or double bounce). That said, I have no idea whether he could have been awarded extra points for the extreme difficulty of the routine. The Italian fellow who won gold had an even more difficult routine and ended up with an 8.12. :confused:

Further, the judges seemed to be fairly in sync. We're not even talking about U.S. judges here--the countries were Malaysia and I think Cuba among others.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
RealtorGal, I am actually not suggesting that the results were unfair, I am only pointing to the media's double standard.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Miscellaneous Observations:

I did NOT understand the French guy (Cucherat) getting the exact same score on the parallel bars as Li Xiaopeng, Ivan Ivankov, and Daisuke Nakano, all of whom had much more interesting routines. Then again, I did not understand about 90% of the scoring that went on during the men's events anyway.

I was actually glad that Igor Cassina pulled ahead of Paul Hamm in the high bar; IMO it was questionable enough that Hamm was 2nd ; had he won, there'd be even more rumbling about him being "held up", or whatever you could call this. I think the results should have been Cassina, Nemov, and Yoneda, with Paul H. 4th at best.

Why on earth was there a judge from MALAYSIA in the event?? Does Malaysia even have ONE gymnast competing on this level?? I really have to question how qualified a judge from Malaysia can be on an Olympic level, or even a Worlds one, for that matter. It's kind of like having a judge from Mauritania on the ice-dance panel at the Olympics.....

I also think that Jordan Jovtchev should have won the Rings over the Greek guy, but the crowd was so happy over the victory I'm willing to let that one go....

The Romanian ladies looked terrific on floor and beam; I think one of the reasons they are so succesful is quite simply because they move with more style and grace than anyone else out there; their "in-between" movements are lovely to watch and just have an extra "something" that the others don't. I just wish that Oana Ban hadn't gotten injured; I was really looking forward to seeing her perform again.

And kudos to Emilie Leppennec for her exciting Uneven Bars routine; I think her performance there was one of the highlights of the whole competition. I do find it interesting, however, that equally exciting routines on High Bar by the men were not given the same amount of respect by the judges.