Cheaters never prosper... or do they? | Golden Skate

Cheaters never prosper... or do they?

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Are there really that many stupid athletes out there? If they are using a banned substance, they MUST know that there is a very good chance they'll get caught. Why do it? All those banned U.S. track runners should be ashamed of themselves for humiliating our entire country. The entire weightlifting team from Bulgaria was banned at some point--what's up with that? Talk about having brawn but no brains. And those two Greek runners? Did they think that they would be above scrutiny just because Greece is hosting the Olympics? :mad:

Unfortunately, sometimes cheaters do get by. Kosuke Kitajima clearly made an illegal kick en route to winning the 100 breastroke (as seen on replay), yet judges standing out of the water could not catch it. I don't know how he can look at that gold medal and not be embarrassed. (He did, however, earn the gold in the 200 breastroke fair and square.)

soogar

Record Breaker
I wouldn't put Kitajima's kick up there with athletes taking steroids. According to the announcers, Kitajima has always had that kick and it's more of a habit than something done deliberately. He hasn't been called on it before so I would ascribe that to the officials rather than him. He did correct the problem after the huge uproar over it. That takes a lot of concentration to correct something that is second nature to him.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
If he was able to correct it for the 200, he could have made sure to correct it prior to the 100. I don't believe it was never called to his attention prior to that race, especially if it is, as you claim, a habit. That's what coaches are for. My daughter is a competitive swimmer, and coaches watch EVERYTHING. They do not want to see one of their swimmers DQd for a stupid error that could have been caught in training. FYI, believe it or not, errors in strokes can lead to injuries--particularly elbow and shoulder injuries, so coaches are very careful.

My favorite cheater was the Russian fencer of some years back who wired his suit to buzz for a touch whenever he pressed a button in his pocket.

MM

Last edited:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
If illegal kicks should be caught and corrected by coaches, in that same token, why not incorrect edges to jumps? :D (Had to throw that in)......Totally agree with the illegal substances, especially if they're steroids. I have a problem with medications for allergies, illnesses, and asthma, though. I keep think about Elena and her problem with cold medications during Worlds in 2000 I think.....42

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
show 42 said:
If illegal kicks should be caught and corrected by coaches, in that same token, why not incorrect edges to jumps? :D (Had to throw that in)......Totally agree with the illegal substances, especially if they're steroids. I have a problem with medications for allergies, illnesses, and asthma, though. I keep think about Elena and her problem with cold medications during Worlds in 2000 I think.....42

ITA. All sports should clean house. In the cases of Kitajima, Cohen, and Hughes, it's not even a case of cheating, as it is of bad technique. These elite athletes should have the technique everyone is shooting for...

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I don't think you can compare Cohen/Hughes with Kitajima. In skating, errors are out there for the world (and judges) to see. In swimming, while it may not seem that different to most viewers, in fact the difference between those kicks are like the difference between doing an axel and a lutz. It's just harder to spot from above the water--and I believe he took advantage of that fact.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I't's not like she didn't know, huh? There is no gold medal , advertising contract fame, or fortune worth the damage these substances do to the body.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Rogge has made anti-doping his political platform as new president, so I'm not surprised at the number of well advertised busts. Sort of a Nancy Reagan meets Rudy Gulliani: Just say "no!" to squeegie men. :laugh:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Good for him! I'm glad they're not hesitating to turn the busts into a public spectacle. One of the busts occurred right before the athlete was to compete. Talk about a public forum for disgrace! I still do not understand why they do it when there is an almost 100% chance they'll get caught, especially now that they've refined their methods of investigation.

Last edited: