2017 Skate Detroit | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2017 Skate Detroit

figurefan0726

Final Flight

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
What's the differencr between the ladies fs yesterday and today?

This FS was a "final round" consisting of the top six of each of the two senior ladies groups who did the full event (SP/FS).

Do you have the scores?

Check the notes of this Twitter user: https://twitter.com/inabauers

Mirai score 129+ to win the final round. Courtney Hicks got 124+ everyone else was far behind those two.

It's interesting that Courtney managed to only lose 5 points despite missing her major 3-3 (she missed the 3Lo of her 3F-3Lo combo). Mirai likely got some URs.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Who is the criminal who chose this music for Vincent? 1. It's a bit too much for him (but maybe that will improve) 2. A young, skinny quadster, should avoid to have his big Senior debut to the very same music of the FS that made Hanyu a top skater.
Just to have his own identity

Criminal is kind of harsh don't you think? I know Charlie White did the choreo though, but I'm fairly sure that Zhou and his coaches picked the music.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
https://mobile.twitter.com/magicaleggrolls/status/888898907039834112

OMG DID MIRAI JUST GIVE US A SOMEWHAT CLEANISH 8 TRIPLE FREE SKATE I'M SHOCKED AND I'M SHOOK AHH

I really hope this is a sign of better things to come, and not just a flash of brilliance before a mediocre season. Being a Mirai fan, you never know 🙁

God, I hope she continues to improve and not just have peaked in July

That's really good for her (though Jackie did call it 3A<< and he tends to be pretty spot on w/ rotation)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Who is the criminal who chose this music for Vincent? 1. It's a bit too much for him (but maybe that will improve) 2. A young, skinny quadster, should avoid to have his big Senior debut to the very same music of the FS that made Hanyu a top skater.
Just to have his own identity

I am far from a Vincent fangirl (to state the obvious ;) ), nor am I a Yuzu fangirl who thinks that no one else can state to "his" music.

I did listen to Vincent's interview with Ted Flett, where Vincent explained how the music was chosen. Evidently he had four or five pieces of music presented, I forget if by the choreographers, the coach, or both. And he had some moves. And he skated the same moves to each piece of music. (I don't know if the entire piece or just part). And he and the team thought his expression and performance worked best with R and J.

Having read numerous articles about Rohene's process, I found the difference in approach fascinating. Evidently Vincent is not the type to sit in the hotel lobby tossing around ideas and looking for inspiration, as some of Rohene's non 7k skaters have said they did.:biggrin:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Criminal is kind of harsh don't you think? I know Charlie White did the choreo though, but I'm fairly sure that Zhou and his coaches picked the music.

In the first Ice Network article he says Drew Meekins had him skate the same choreo to several pieces of music and they felt R&J worked the best.

He also discusses it in the Golden Skate interview with Ted Flett at about 6:30-7:20.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
In the first Ice Network article he says Drew Meekins had him skate the same choreo to several pieces of music and they felt R&J worked the best.

He also discusses it in the Golden Skate interview with Ted Flett at about 6:30-7:20.

Yes, I am aware of Drew working with Zhou (mostly as a coach now), but here:

" Zhou, along with his coaches and choreographer Charlie White, decided at the end of April to use music from the 1996 movie Romeo + Juliet for his free skate this season. In early May, while on a week-long break from his responsibilities with Stars on Ice, White spent five days in Colorado Springs choreographing Zhou's program, with coach Drew Meekins joining them on the ice for much of the time."

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/06/23/238251138/creating-the-program-zhou-makes-music-selection

Both parts go into depth about Charlie and how he worked on the choreo and editing of the music with Zhou and Meekins who decided on R+J.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Yes, I am aware of Drew working with Zhou (mostly as a coach now), but here:

" Zhou, along with his coaches and choreographer Charlie White, decided at the end of April to use music from the 1996 movie Romeo + Juliet for his free skate this season. In early May, while on a week-long break from his responsibilities with Stars on Ice, White spent five days in Colorado Springs choreographing Zhou's program, with coach Drew Meekins joining them on the ice for much of the time."

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/06/23/238251138/creating-the-program-zhou-makes-music-selection

Both parts go into depth about Charlie and how he worked on the choreo and editing of the music with Zhou and Meekins who decided on R+J.

Sorry - I wasn't saying you were wrong about Charlie - I just thought the way Vincent described the process of selecting the music was interesting. Although for all I know that's the way it's done normally by elite skaters.

Anyway, I like that even though he's doing a lot of quads, the program seems balanced - I don't get the sense he's just setting up for jumps for the first two minutes.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just realized that Vincent just skated a 4 Quad program with 2 3A's thrown in, not counting the bailout on another Quad.

One year ago, this would have been an astonishing feat, more technical content than had ever been achieved.

It's still pretty dang good, don't get me wrong, but the fact that this is not headline news shows how far, and how quickly, the sport is evolving right now.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
as far as I am concerned

1) i am pleasantly surprised with Vincent. I didn't think that much of him at junior worlds. I like his LP. Sp not as much.... even with mistakes and being early in the season,his score, thanks to high BV is very high and apart from Nathan, I am not sure other US guys can reach it.

PS His program reminds me more of Han Yan's (because he skates smoothly) than of Yuzu's... and who cares? He is a young guy, his music cuts are different... it's not like he is the first one using a warhorse for Olympics... at least, it's a new program for him.

2) Deanna Stellato and partner... nicest SBS 3lz I have ever seen and I watch many since i m a D/R Fan

3) Mirai... good girl but URs are costly.... keep fighting.

4) Keegan... just try your 4lz.. it's gorgeous... that's all you need to be Canada's #2

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
This competition had so many amazing highlights.

Mirai and Hicks killing it already - especially Mirai's final FS. She is pulling a Tukt and I'm hoping she will slay at Nats (and the Olympics!).

Zhou bringing that tech game so early - it's gonna be an exciting season and the Grand Prix will be exciting. I'm glad the US men have 3 spots because Chen/Zhou will probably outquad everyone which will be quite a battle for the 3rd spot. Zhou's programs have a lot of potential and I like his more contemporary interpretation/music for R&J.

Two SBS 3Z teams... I am so shook. Super excited about Stellato and Bartholomay - there is a ton of potential and with a 4S attempt too?! Damn!

mrrice

Record Breaker
Just realized that Vincent just skated a 4 Quad program with 2 3A's thrown in, not counting the bailout on another Quad.

One year ago, this would have been an astonishing feat, more technical content than had ever been achieved.

It's still pretty dang good, don't get me wrong, but the fact that this is not headline news shows how far, and how quickly, the sport is evolving
right now.

I don't understand why this isn't the headline. Hopefully, it will get some good coverage on Monday. All the "Top" skaters at this event skated very well. I'd like give a shout out to former US Team Member and Alaskan cutie Keegan Messing. It looks like the move to Canada was the right move for him and we may just see at the Olympics wearing Red and White sweats with giant maple leaf on them.

Vincent may not be for everyone but he is well on his way to future greatness. We have to remember that he is fresh out of Juniors and his style will improve with age. A special shout out to Grant for the beauty of his programs and the passion he puts into his skating. For a summer event, Skate Detroit was so well skated and a very pleasant surprise.

Ender

Match Penalty
https://mobile.twitter.com/magicaleggrolls/status/888898907039834112

OMG DID MIRAI JUST GIVE US A SOMEWHAT CLEANISH 8 TRIPLE FREE SKATE I'M SHOCKED AND I'M SHOOK AHH

I really hope this is a sign of better things to come, and not just a flash of brilliance before a mediocre season. Being a Mirai fan, you never know 🙁

God, I hope she continues to improve and not just have peaked in July
Not a fan of her programs this season but judging her tendency to peak by February, I would send Nagasu to Olympic.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Ho hum. Doesn't everyone skate a four-quad program nowadays? ;)

While it's no longer ground-breaking, it's still pretty rare. Let's see... Free skates that had/have 4+ quads last season include the following skaters:
Nathan Chen
Shoma Uno
Yuzuru Hanyu
Boyang Jin
Maxim Kovtun
Kevin Reynolds

I think that's it? Did I miss someone?

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
While it's no longer ground-breaking, it's still pretty rare. Let's see... Free skates that had/have 4+ quads last season include the following skaters:
Nathan Chen
Shoma Uno
Yuzuru Hanyu
Boyang Jin
Maxim Kovtun

I think that's it? Did I miss someone?

kevin reynolds i would think - at least he planned 4.