2017-2018 Team China update | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Team China update

blue eyed birds

Spectator
Thanks for the info, excited for the pairs this year!

Are Wang/Liu competing at this event? I thought I saw somewhere that there would be ice dance and they're some of my fave up-and-comers. (Info on any other dancers would also be welcome if they're competing!)

Jeffchiddy

Rinkside
SH's lp is a big disappointment to me. It must be their worst lp in this cycle. Terrible cutting of music, plenty of direct and unsuitable copy (or tribution...)of SZ's Turandot just make the program a disaster. I know they can even make this program dramatic and emotional, but it's a failed choreography for Lori.

andromache

Record Breaker
SH's lp is a big disappointment to me. It must be their worst lp in this cycle. Terrible cutting of music, plenty of direct and unsuitable copy (or tribution...)of SZ's Turandot just make the program a disaster. I know they can even make this program dramatic and emotional, but it's a failed choreography for Lori.

I'm wondering how long they've had this for - it looks very rough and like it needs way more work. SZ's Turandot is my personal GOAT, so I'm okay with SH doing a tribute program - but I don't think an Olympic year is ideal for it. And I agree re: music cuts. Even when Lori isn't at her best, she usually has way better music/cut selections.

I hope this is merely a work in progress.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Good thing Boyang has a Senior B this season to get the rust out. It's hard judge the quality of the program when there are so many falls. I think he fell on every single quad and 3A attempt.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I think Boyang's LP music edit is OKAY, now my standards is really low in terms of Lori's music edit.
My expectation is really high regarding P/J's butterfly loves (since the repo is really good from previous open class), but after I watched it, horrible music editing again, I mean I understand that not everyone has the music editing ability to make every thing flow seamlessly as a whole piece. but cut right in the middle of a music phrasing?!...
So far, I like Y/Z's programs music the most, at least, it is smooth and transitioned properly. Also, Xiaoyu Yu is a really a treat to watch! a real ballerina presence on ice, perfectly fitted the white swan, and Hao's role is appropriate as well. the swan SP could be a signature piece, but it just somewhat repetitive in the middle and idled off towards the end... leave me this feeling, it just ended, what is the point? it is a shame again on music editing.

Eclair

Medalist
I think Boyang's LP music edit is OKAY, now my standards is really low in terms of Lori's music edit.
My expectation is really high regarding P/J's butterfly loves (since the repo is really good from previous open class), but after I watched it, horrible music editing again, I mean I understand that not everyone has the music editing ability to make every thing flow seamlessly as a whole piece. but cut right in the middle of a music phrasing?!...
So far, I like Y/Z's programs music the most, at least, it is smooth and transitioned properly. Also, Xiaoyu Yu is a really a treat to watch! a real ballerina presence on ice, perfectly fitted the white swan, and Hao's role is appropriate as well. the swan SP could be a signature piece, but it just somewhat repetitive in the middle and idled off towards the end... leave me this feeling, it just ended, what is the point? it is a shame again on music editing.

Actually I like Boyang's LP music edit and love the selections of songs :luv17: just my opinion though ;) You're right, Xiaoyu makes an excellent swan!

andromache

Record Breaker
Y/J's Swan Lake is lovely - Yu makes a gorgeous white swan. She's so delicate. I like seeing this pair go classical - I think it plays to their strengths (whereas I think both S/H and P/J are stronger when they are more modern and/or avant-garde).

Doing a Tango SP is a surprisingly good choice for P/J! Playful, a tiny bit sexy, and Peng and Jin have more chemistry together than Yu and Jin had.

Going to lunch - will watch the LPs later.

I love the Chinese pairs so much!

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Actually I like Boyang's LP music edit and love the selections of songs :luv17: just my opinion though ;) You're right, Xiaoyu makes an excellent swan!

lots of Chinese fans hated Boyang's LP music, I think it is OKAY, all things considered. that is what I meant. So it is actually the better one among the bunch.

Eclair

Medalist
lots of Chinese fans hated Boyang's LP music, I think it is OKAY, all things considered. that is what I meant. So it is actually the better one among the bunch.

yeah I read lots of complaints ^^But personally I'm IN LOVE with his music selection! Those theme's were very well selected and well respected in the Star Wars fandom. Maybe people who didn't watch Star Wars will think the change in mood is too sudden?
I think this will turn out an absolute crowd favorite :luv17::luv17:

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Personally, while I love all the individual pieces, and I think the Cantina theme fits the step sequence and Boyang to a T, it just stands out too much from the rest of the pieces chosen for the FS music cut because it's so tonally dissonant to the rest of the music choices, which are more somber and serious. I wish there were better segues into these tonal shifts.

Edit: And I did watch Star Wars! All of it. Multiple times. I still think they could have arranged the music better.

Nika09

On the Ice

As for me this LP was failed project since beginning, when Turandot has chosen as program music.
And no strong SP to save it. Total disappointment.

Is there any chance S/H could bring back previous programs? Unlikely but for now it seems my first wish for this Olympic season.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Hate to be a debbie downer but I'm also disappointed in s/h's lp. I think they'll still win as long as they're cleaner/technically superior to the other pairs but i hate the k.d. lang version of hallelujah(to be fair, the choreo itself is great), and skating to turandot wouldn't have been so bad if the music cuts and choreo, as of now, weren't so mediocre. Hope lori will work on it more if this is what they're sticking to.