2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Go Canada!!!! 🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁

As a reminder : Canada qualified 11 skaters/teams out of 12 possible for the Olympics. It will be the largest figure skating nation in PC.

Men : 2 spots
Ladies, Ice Dance and Pairs : 3 spots.

Canadian skaters had great results at Worlds 2017 with not only 3 medals ( V/M gold, Osmond, silver, Daleman bronze) but placed very well overall.

W/P finished 4th in Ice dance, so close to the bronze medal and have shown at WTT that they are still in there to fight with winning the Free Dance and placing first with combined scores.

In men, Patrick finished 5th after his best ever SP which had left him in the bronze medal spot, with over 100 points for the first time ever internationally. His teammate, Kevin Reynolds impressed with a 9th place.

In pairs, after a season plagued with injuries, which made it difficult for at least 3 of our top 4 pairs, worlds was tougher this year. However, I/M and D/R managed to finish 6th and 7th and to secure 3 spots next year. At WTT, MTM 2.0 got two good programs and were well scored by the judges.

What will be, IMHO, the most interesting race will be the road of the men... only two spots, and lots of them are finding back their form and getting new quads.... it will be a great battle, assuming that Patrick gets the top spot.

Last edited:

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Go Canada !

Sincerely, a French cousin who hope that you will get beaten by some of our skaters but still very much love you :laugh:
Nice to see that your media supports your skaters from the very beginning. Some countries only care when you become world or olympic medallist :unsure:

Last edited:

sarama

Medalist
For some reason, I tend to have an insanely deep love for most Canadian skaters, so I wish them all a very smooth road to Pyeongchang :popcorn:... (and hopefully to Worlds in Milan too, so I can see them in person :cool:, but now I'm being too greedy)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
For some reason, I tend to have an insanely deep love for most Canadian skaters, so I wish them all a very smooth road to Pyeongchang :popcorn:... (and hopefully to Worlds in Milan too, so I can see them in person :cool:, but now I'm being too greedy)

Canadian skaters will go to Milan... we just don't know which ones ;) and be greedy!!!! Seeing skaters in person is so much better and I can tell you that Patrick is magic in person, Virtue and Moir are so fast and intense!!!! pure passion... and our pair teams, they are not making podiums for nothing... they are all very fast and powerful. I was surprised the most at D/R for instance, as so many have been critical of their skating, and live, they are rockets in unison. Amazing!!!
Thank you for the well wishes, it's nice that so far, two non-Canadians have shown support to our skaters :) let's hope this sets the tone for this thread as the 2016-17 wasn't always positive.

sarama

Medalist
Canadian skaters will go to Milan... we just don't know which ones ;) Seeing skaters in person is so much better and I can tell you that Patrick is magic in person, Virtue and Moir are so fast and intense!!!! pure passion... and our pair teams, they are not making podiums for nothing... they are all very fast and powerful. I was surprised the most at D/R for instance, as so many have been critical of their skating, and live, they are rockets in unison. Amazing!!!
Thank you for the well wishes, it's nice that so far, two non-Canadians have shown support to our skaters :)
Luckily I've already seen Patrick, V/M, Meagan/Eric and Lubov/Dylan at least once in real life, because I'm not sure how many more times they'll compete somewhere near my corner of the world :sad21:, and yes they are all incredible :love:
I have to say that Kaetlyn and Gabby aren't too shabby either;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Luckily I've already seen Patrick, V/M, Meagan/Eric and Lubov/Dylan at least once in real life, because I'm not sure how many more times they'll compete somewhere near my corner of the world :sad21:, and yes they are all incredible :love:
I have to say that Kaetlyn and Gabby aren't too shabby either;)

i wouldn't be surprised if our darling girls go to Milan ;) they are young still :)

i went to nationals last year so yeah... gabby is something else... her power !!!! and then you have kaetlyn's massive jumps as well... both of them are so fun to watch

sarama

Medalist
i went to nationals last year so yeah... gabby is something else... her power !!!! and then you have kaetlyn's massive jumps as well... both of them are so fun to watch

I've always been a huge Katelyn's fan, so nothing really changed (although I fell in love with her spins), while seeing Gabby in person definitely made me appreciate her much more: I don't think the camera does any justice to her power!

magicalwords

On the Ice
Is it too early to show enthusiasm for next year? V/M are my favorites and I'm so excited to see Tessa slaying with Rhumba :) My biggest wish is for Patrick to have a healthy season and to free his mind so that he'd be able to skate to his heart's content.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Is it too early to show enthusiasm for next year? V/M are my favorites and I'm so excited to see Tessa slaying with Rhumba :) My biggest wish is for Patrick to have a healthy season and to free his mind so that he'd be able to skate to his heart's content.

Tessa + Latin dance + Scott = magic :love:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Tessa and Scott skipped Worlds in 2014 (after going in 2010), but in some interview this season, Scott said they might go to Milan. He specifically said that it's hard to turn down the chance to skate the programs one more time.

Anyways, because I'm avoiding studying calc right now, I went and looked at who attended the last few post-olympic worlds.
First the podium:
In 2014, Hanyu, Carolina, S/S, S/K, and I/K were the only medalists who went. Patrick, D10, Yuna, Adelina, V/T, V/M and D/W skipped. (5/12)
In 2010, Daisuke, Mao, Yuna, P/T, S/S, V/M and D/W all went. Evan, Evgeni, Joannie, S/Z, and D/S skipped. (7/12)
In 2006, Lambiel, Buttle, Sasha Cohen, Z/Z, and B/A went. Evgeni, Shizuka, Irina, T/M, S/Z, N/K and G/G skipped. (5/12)
So about half the medalists tend to skip in recent years.
In 2014, another 4 men, 7 women, 6 pairs, and 6 dance teams who placed top ten in Sochi went to Worlds. So total 28/40 from the top ten.
In 2010, another 5 men, 7 women, 6 pairs, and 4 dance teams who placed top ten in Vancouver went to Worlds. So total 29/40 from the top ten.
In 2006, another 5 men, 7 women, 7 pairs, and 6 dance teams who placed top ten in SLC went to Worlds. So total 30/40 from the top ten.
Of course, many of those who skipped were dealing with injuries, then there's Joannie, and Isabelle Delobel had a baby earlier that season.

Probably more numbers than anyone else cares about, but I like looking up stuff like this.

Of the top Canadians, assuming health, I think both Kaetlyn and Gabby will go to Worlds, and if not, the only ladies from 2006, 2010, 2014 who skipped were medalists... I'm sure one of them will go at the very least. I think Patrick probably won't, but you never know. In dance, I'm sure Psquared will go, otherwise I feel like at least one of V/M and Weapo will be there, but I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised to see D/R there, but they could skip it, it might depend on how they do at the games. I think I/M will go.

For other countries, I'm sure C/L will be there and Russia will want B/S to go. At least a one or two of the top US dance teams will be there, and I think P/C will too. I feel like Javi will go because it's in Europe, Hanyu probably will if he's healthy - he doesn't seem to like to skip events much. Shoma I think will. Otherwise health is big for the men. I don't know what Russia will do; Evgenia seems like she might be the type who would be fine to go, but either way they'll send great skaters. I think Ashley will be done after the games.

It'll be fun to see some of the next gen of top skaters there too.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
This is funny. My fire icon has been removed from the original post. By whom? What a pity. It was chosen to fit with the Olympics theme. :palmf:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
This is funny. My fire icon has been removed from the original post. By whom? What a pity. It was chosen to fit with the Olympics theme. :palmf:

when i saw it, i thought it was the olympic flame... ? oh well.

blackey

On the Ice
Tessa and Scott skipped Worlds in 2014 (after going in 2010), but in some interview this season, Scott said they might go to Milan. He specifically said that it's hard to turn down the chance to skate the programs one more time.

Maybe it's just me going crazy, but some stuffs they said this season really made me feel they might not retire after 2018 :palmf:
If they're going to retire after 2018, I really don't know why would they wanna go to worlds after olympics, especially they said their goal for comeback is go to the olympics..
I would love them to stay, just don't wanna get my expectation too high...

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
when i saw it, i thought it was the olympic flame... ? oh well.

You're right, that was the intention. But perhaps it's an unwritten Golden Skate rule to not allow the usage of this icon? :scratch2:

With Canada bidding for 2020 Worlds we may see some teams continue beyond 2018 if the bid is successful, especially if the Olympic season doesn't go as planned. There's also 2018 GPF in Vancouver to look forward to.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
fabulous numbers but i mostly want to address this :

It'll be fun to see some of the next gen of top skaters there too.

it's not just about worlds... but also 4CC !!!! Let's take the men...

It will be so exciting as we will get to see many of our skaters in action..

For instance, and calculus style to bug you :) (of course, this is what I WOULD do.. not necessarily how the fed will do it)

Skaters at nationals
A -B- C-D-E-F-G-H

Skaters A and B are assigned to the Olympics.
Skaters C and D are substitute.
Skaters A B and C are most likely NOT going to 4CC which is too close to the games.... Leaving skaters D -E- F for 4CC.... Substitutes could go as far as Skaters G and H

Because skaters A and B are healthy, Skater C doesn't get to go to the Olympics nor 4CC.
Skater C is indeed selected to go to Worlds with Skater A. Skaters B and D are substitute.

From there on, a bunch of things can happen as it is quit possible that Skater A doesn't want to compete in Milan, and then it could be the same with Skater B.

However, in light of this, Canada will have to send pretty much all of the top 8 potential skaters to events all year to get the TES minimums for 4cc/worlds/olympics as needed.

This situation, having 3 spots at 4CC too close to the games provides a lot of exposure to the entire national team and a couple substitutes.

It's incredibly exciting.

Pairs : WOW...

3 teams at the games would mostly mean D-E-F at 4CC... and again, perhaps team D isn't going to 4CC to at least have a strong sub for the Olympics... so D is going to worlds... G is going to 4CC... etc...

I m beyond thrilled as I think it's the right year for a lot of the younger boys and pairs to get this exposure.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
^I like that way of dividing up spots. But there's one thing - if you've got someone who doesn't meet the minimum TES requirements or age requirements then you could have skaters in the top 9 or even 10 being considered for assignments. For example, some of the junior ladies won't get to do a senior international to get the minimum TES for 4CC. Skaters like Aurora are also too young to be at the senior events next season.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
^I like that way of dividing up spots. But there's one thing - if you've got someone who doesn't meet the minimum TES requirements or age requirements then you could have skaters in the top 9 or even 10 being considered for assignments. For example, some of the junior ladies won't get to do a senior international to get the minimum TES for 4CC. Skaters like Aurora are also too young to be at the senior events next season.

yup... but in ladies, I do think that our 3 girls will do both Olympics and Worlds... so 4-5-6 will go to 4CC... but of course, if one of da gals wins 2 olympic medals (team+singles) and wants to go to the caribbeans instead of milan, fine by me ;)

i wonder if Veronik Mallet is coming back... The Decelles twins should be able to get their minimums.. they have good jumps they just need to gain some experience... you then have Sara .... Larkyn is indeed on the upswing and could threaten for 3rd spot... oh yeah... i don't take the top 3 for granted anymore... so lots of possibilities.