2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics | Page 51 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I really don't think there is any chance of the French team making it past the short. Not only is the ladies situation less than ideal but the men seem to have evaporated as well with Chafik nowhere to be seen. Frankly if I were the French fed I wouldn't even want to risk J/C in the SP. In any case, there is no equation where P/C make it past the SD.

I agree that the FP, in terms of points, won't make a difference between having a medal or not. But it can certainly change the color of that medal and considering Canada and Russia will probably be neck and neck it is not negligible. Kaetlyn or Gabby vs Zhenia is not at all the same deal as V/M or W/P vs B/S. Repeating Patrick and V/M makes the most sense imo.

4 substitutions would be pretty cool but what about the countries that didn't qualify at least 2 spots in all disciplines? You could say that such a system rewards feds with deeper fields but imo the current system already does that in spades.

well the French have no choice to send J/C in the SP as they have given up on their second pairs' spot... so J/C here would not only skate SP but if ever the whole team is in top 5, they would have to skate the LP

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Regarding Gabby :

Yes, Finlandia was a bit rough but let's not forget that she didn't have summer events to warm up...and that she has 2 brand news programs which I personally like... (I would have liked gladiator in orchestral version/ more powerful but it's still a good vehicle IMHO)...

So, I wouldn't worry too much about her until she gets out to the GP

Positives : her 3-3 is still big...
She did miss the lutz in the SP but she landed two of those in the LP...

Yup : she missed her edge jump (loop and salchow) and doubled a flip... only 4 triples in the LP... I am not sure if she were marking the flip but I don't recall seeing her not going for triples... so we will see about that.. i am not very nervous about that at all... the edge jumps: I am not expert but I am sure timing is critical here and she seemed off for the entire weekend which may be due to her late start (surgery in the summer).... so I would think that she is not 100% yet and would wait before thinking she is no longer a contender...

I thought it was a bit funny to see people call her a fluke bronze last year when she had a pretty steady season, the first time that she has rough skates.... to me, the fluke is this year's Finlandia and actually, it may be something they expected all along rather than fluke errors... (warming up late this season, surgery)

so .. in other words, I'd give Gabby the GP season before making my assessment

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Regarding Gabby :

I thought it was a bit funny to see people call her a fluke bronze last year when she had a pretty steady season, the first time that she has rough skates.... to me, the fluke is this year's Finlandia and actually, it may be something they expected all along rather than fluke errors... (warming up late this season, surgery)

Me too, even from Posters I respect and not the normal naysayers. Live and learn I say ;) or as other Canadian poets have said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFRk0FfaQi0

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Lol all three got the name of the magazine wrong. It's Figure Skate Life, guys. Available through CD Japan: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-2141918?s_ssid=e33d2359deffc7be1b

NoNameFace thanks for that great post. I appreciate your insights from the dance world.

you are the most welcome Mango:)

watching Ice Dance for quite some time now, I always applaud the creativity shown in adaptation of ballroom/Latin rhythms, body actions, movement, figures - a certain dance on ice will never look, feel and translate the same way as the one danced on the floor, there are different tools, dynamics, connections...And to see a team interpreting those ballroom specifics inside their program in a way Tessa and Scott do is great to see. I think that they chose smart way to do that, as I see utilizing particular movements/figures/body actions to highlight musical accents, to highlight the boldness of the dance in general, instead to just incorporate them in the general flow. It creates the impression that there is some ballroom ingredient, some ballroom reference, but for me it feels 'customized' to them, their way of movement, style chosen and music used, not the other way around.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I forgot to post this earlier with the end of the JGP.

With Fabbri/Pietrantonio's huge PB performance in ice dance in Egna, Canada ended up with 6 medals from the JGP this season - up from the 2 silver medals in 2016-2017.

Medals so far:

4 gold, 4 silver, 7 bronze

15 total

The GP series is starting with Nam, Julianne & Charlie, as well as Piper & Paul in Russia. CBC has got you covered, live online and with some highlighted performances on TV.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/winter/figureskating

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Beverley Smith's article on Tessa & Scott heading into 2017 Skate Canada International: https://bevsmithwrites.wordpress.com/2017/10/18/virtue-and-moir-kissing-the-ice-still/

And one on Lubov & Dylan: https://bevsmithwrites.wordpress.co...na-and-moscovitch-skating-for-the-maple-leaf/

Meagan & Eric are back to their Muse 1.0 layout and had a clean FS: https://twitter.com/mhjd_85/status/920716858382323713

wow at D/R

laughing at all the drama just one bad outing can provoke on social media lol

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
wow at D/R

laughing at all the drama just one bad outing can provoke on social media lol

:biggrin: I think that drama actually encourages skaters to do well. Like look at all the negative comments Gabby was getting last season for silly things by people on here. Then look at how she did at Worlds. Use that hate as fuel for the training fire.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
:biggrin: I think that drama actually encourages skaters to do well. Like look at all the negative comments Gabby was getting last season for silly things by people on here. Then look at how she did at Worlds. Use that hate as fuel for the training fire.

maybe... but some others are not as well equipped as Meagan and Gabby to deal with such things...

In the news this week

Rebecca Marino announced her return to competition.... Marino was a rising star of tennis... but in her early years, suffered from depression, partly because of the pressure she felt from social media... whenever she lost, it was a big deal... whenever she won.. it was expected....

actually, Genie Bouchard suffers from similar expectations too... but that's another story

Rebecca had to take a leave of absence from the sport... and it was 4-5 years until she would announced a return... so far, only two tournaments... to see if she is having fun competing again...

I am going to tennis because I think that social media may be a booster for some but can also be a nightmare for others... look at Gracie Gold.... not sure it served her very well to be hyped as the future American Ice Princess...

a lot of these athletes are teenagers .... and I can only speak for myself but I am so thankful that I had time to grow up before social media was part of my life... it would have been a nightmare for me.... It took me a long time to deal with my own life, in private... I just cannot imagine having to do this, in public light... especially as, without being a star, part of my life is already public... and was even more so in my younger years...

At the same time, we are all guilty of discussing these skaters/athletes on forums as well ;) but a lot of constructive comments are made here and a lot of love is shared too... and of course, it's way less in your face than when someone tags you on twitter or instagram ;)

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
maybe... but some others are not as well equipped as Meagan and Gabby to deal with such things...

If you are an athlete and chose to be on social media you know what you're getting yourself into. Most of the juniors don't get much attention anyways, so it shouldn't matter much. But when you go senior and make the National team you will get more attention. That means praise and criticism.

Fortunately or unfortunately, the only journalist actually covering figure skating in depth in Canada regularly appears to be Beverely Smith. And she is never harsh. Lori Ewing pops up around bigger events. I don't think she gets very critical either. Rosie Dimanno is the one you should look out for. But most fans write letters expressing their dislike of her coverage so we don't see skaters speaking out, I think. Oh and don't get on Phil Hersh's bad side. :)

As for fans, they will likely be your harshest critics. Skaters need to avoid reading YouTube comments especially. If they want to be active on Instagram or Twitter they should keep their profiles private and turn off notifications as much as possible. But skaters like interacting with fans so they have to find a balance. I think if they feel that comments are getting them down they should definitely seek the help of professionals. Gracie is doing the right thing. (Though, as an aside, in her case I think her situation was less caused by fans and more by her family situation + years of crushing expectations from her federation.)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well.. don't forget the media (not social) when it comes to GG...

i had never had seen her skate and already, i was hearing she would definitely be the next one... and i was like who is she???? and i saw a little girl with good jumps but yeah... I have told you before... i think nurturing the young talent instead of pushing them into the circus too quickly is more helpful most of the times ;)

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
The young talent gets so much monitoring that they will never again get pushed into the circus, as you say. There will be no Nam 2.0.

The best thing is that Gracie is getting help and prioritizing that over competing. It's a pity she didn't do this earlier. I think coaches should also be held accountable for not helping athletes realize they need help sooner

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The young talent gets so much monitoring that they will never again get pushed into the circus, as you say. There will be no Nam 2.0.

The best thing is that Gracie is getting help and prioritizing that over competing. It's a pity she didn't do this earlier. I think coaches should also be held accountable for not helping athletes realize they need help sooner

about coaches : yes and no... sometimes the young teenagers won't listen... and go quad crazy ;)