Applications for 2019-20 ISU Championships | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Applications for 2019-20 ISU Championships

Celine

On the Ice
There's actually a lot to be said for having organizations host important events either back-to-back or more than once. Have heard Barcelona did such an amazing job and the second year was even better. The same could be said for Boston - after having hosted a very important Olympic year US Nationals, they truly delivered with Worlds in Boston 2 years later. So much depends on organization and volunteers, and when the wheel has been 'invented' ... why not roll with it more strongly once again!?

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
There's actually a lot to be said for having organizations host important events either back-to-back or more than once. Have heard Barcelona did such an amazing job and the second year was even better. The same could be said for Boston - after having hosted a very important Olympic year US Nationals, they truly delivered with Worlds in Boston 2 years later. So much depends on organization and volunteers, and when the wheel has been 'invented' ... why not roll with it more strongly once again!?
True, but Barcelona is also a shining example of how great it can be to go somewhere entirely new, with no prior history...! 2nd time was indeed great, but so was the first! (I'm guessing the success of the first GPF there was instrumental in deciding to hold it there a 2nd time)

Last edited:

tennisguy

Rinkside
True, but Barcelona is also a shining example of how great it can be to go somewhere entirely new, with no prior history...! 2nd time was indeed great, but so was the first! (I'm guessing the success of the first GPF there was instrumental in deciding to hold it there a 2nd time)

Barcelona was helped by the presence of Javier Fernandez in the upper echelon of figure skating in making the events there a success.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
There's actually a lot to be said for having organizations host important events either back-to-back or more than once.
This is one of the reasons why I'm thinking Rotterdam actually has a fair chance. The shorttrack Worlds must have been very succesful, otherwise they wouldn't immediately announce their candidacy to organize another championship that requires the same venue and probably a lot of other things that they've already figured out and that can be reused.
Here's a short impression video of the Ahoy venue with the skating rink. Looks good! https://youtu.be/zHBflyURTl0

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Barcelona was helped by the presence of Javier Fernandez in the upper echelon of figure skating in making the events there a success.
It surely helped helped, but Barcelona's success was largely due to excellent organisation and facilities - which are not affected by which skaters show up...

I've been to competitions that were "not as good" as Barcelona GPF's, despite many top-echelon skaters going to them...!

Last edited:

tennisguy

Rinkside
It surely helped helped, but Barcelona's success was largely due to excellent organisation and facilities - which are not affected by which skaters show up...

I've been to competitions that were "not as good" as Barcelona GPF's, despite many top-echelon skaters going to them...!

That's very true, though I was thinking about ticket sales and general interest in the event in the host city/country - it helps to have a home favourite to draw the attention of causal fans and people who are new to the sport.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
So 2020 will be Montreal....congrats Canada, I guess....:eek:hwell::cry::sad21::no::sad4:

Weathergal

Medalist
World Championships
2018 - Milan Italy
2019 - Saitama Japan
2020 - Montreal Canada

World Junior Championships
2018 - Sofia Bulgaria
2019 - Zagreb Croatia
2020 - Talinn Estonia

European Championships
2018 - Moscow Russia