Applications for 2019-20 ISU Championships | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Applications for 2019-20 ISU Championships

blueberryhill

On the Ice
haha, well he is in boisbriand year long... lol come to autumn classic ;) i bet he will go there this year
Wow, if chiddy and nic both went to autumn classic ... I could fly to Ottawa and then take a bus to Montreal :hap85: (I've never been on a greyhound before ;)). Even if I don't go I have your live reports to look forward to. This year remember to charge up your phone first! :laugh:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Wow, if chiddy and nic both went to autumn classic ... I could fly to Ottawa and then take a bus to Montreal :hap85: (I've never been on a greyhound before ;)). Even if I don't go I have your live reports to look forward to. This year remember to charge up your phone first! :laugh:

muahaha... some others are going... and if i cannot go, i will get them to do live reports...

btw i have an extra battery now ;)

breadstal

Record Breaker
South Korea is slaying with all these Four Continents (2002, 2005, 2008, 2010, 2015, 2017 and now possibly 2020). :laugh: I think Montreal would be the best option for Worlds but Netherlands would be cool pick as well :hap10:

Last edited:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
There are no words to describe my excitement right now to see Rotterdam on the list for Worlds 2020. They just organized the Short track Worlds there some weeks ago, so they have had decent practice with the skating rink at the Ahoy. (Yes, you can bet on it that it would be held at the Ahoy.)
But of course it'll go to Canada just because.
Sigh.
But I can still live in hope!
Rotterdam! :yahoo:

Edit: I suppose if 2020 isn't an option, 2021 would be a logical backup plan. And that's the pre-Olympic year... I think I could live with that, too!

Edit 2: anyone happen to know whenabout-ish the actual location will be revealed???

Last edited:

tennisguy

Rinkside

Take the train from Ottawa - the Ottawa bus station is very sketchy.

Last edited:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Edit 2: anyone happen to know whenabout-ish the actual location will be revealed???
From ISU Communication 2075 which details application procedures for the 2019-2020 events:

"The ISU Council, at its annual session held not later than July 31st, should decide provisionally when and in which country they shall be held in the subsequent two years"

By "subsequent two years", I assume they mean the season starting in 2 years? (ie. 2019-2020)

I think annual session might be June 2-4, 2017 in Amsterdam, Netherlands (from ISU communication 2085) so announcement would be soon after that? It says above that annual session can't be later than 31st July, so I guess worst case is early August at the latest?

I see everyone is assuming 2020 World's will go to Montreal... but if the decision is being made in Amsterdam... in the ISU president's home country... well, let's just say I wouldn't count Rotterdam out just yet...! (And I would love to see them get it!)

Plus, Canada already got the 2018-2019 Grand Prix Final, and perhaps that makes it less likely they will also get World's the following season?

Last edited:

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Montpellier because I'm French, and I think that J/C and P/C are going the raise the popularity of FS after the Olympics.
Rotterdam because we need new places.
But Montreal is the easiest to agree with. FS in Canada :agree: All the skaters training there + not far away :agree: I mean there is a TON of good reasons why it should happen there...

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I see everyone is assuming 2020 World's will go to Montreal... but if the decision is being made in Amsterdam... in the ISU president's home country... well, let's just say I wouldn't count Rotterdam out just yet...! (And I would love to see them get it!)
I've been doing the happy dance all day at work, drove my colleagues crazy! :hap93: I know it's completely premature, but the thought... *squees*
I wonder if the president being Dutch is actually a good or a bad thing? Would it maybe raise a few eye-brows if it just "happened" to go to 'his' country? (I really don't know how these things work, just curious.)

Cannot wait until we hear something definite. Summer-time, then! *waits eagerly*

Montpellier because I'm French, and I think that J/C and P/C are going the raise the popularity of FS after the Olympics.
I really wouldn't mind France as a location (definitely warmer than Montreal in March, and I don't like cold weather), but... their track record of organizing figure skating events hasn't been all that great in recent years, so I'm a little skeptic about that particular candidacy. :slink:

Last edited:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I've been doing the happy dance all day at work, drove my colleagues crazy! :hap93: I know it's completely premature, but the thought... *squees*
I wonder if the president being Dutch is actually a good or a bad thing? Would it maybe raise a few eye-brows if it just "happened" to go to 'his' country? (I really don't know how these things work, just curious.)

Cannot wait until we hear something definite. Summer-time, then! *waits eagerly*
Haha! :-D

Although you are hoping it goes to Rotterdam... I am betting you have already checked out flights, possible venues, and what hotels are nearby... for all of the cities/countries who applied...! AMIRIGHT?! ;-D

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Although you are hoping it goes to Rotterdam... I am betting you have already checked out flights, possible venues, and what hotels are nearby... for all of the cities/countries who applied...! AMIRIGHT?! ;-D
Ah, well... normally, I probably would have (!), but I actually have a deadline to meet at work at the moment (I barely knew those things existed), so I haven't gotten quite that far yet.
Of course, I won't be needing a flight for Rotterdam, and there is only one logical venue in Rotterdam (seriously, that took zero braincells since they just did the short track Worlds there!), that one didn't require any research whatsoever... but yes, I did google a few hotels in the Ahoy area. :laugh2: Y'know, just for entertainment's sake.

edit: just looked at the Worlds page on wikipedia. Looks like the Netherlands has *never* organized a figure skating world championship before? Wow. I guess in that sense maybe we are about due one. :laugh:

Last edited:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I'm totally cheering for Rotterdam with you Winnie. Is it too much to ask to get the Championship to a country that doesn't have Figure Skating events every other week? I think it should be in a country that doesn't have a Grand Prix. And, what's even better, the skaters are on even ground, no 'home-ice advantage'. Helsinki was just great in that regard. I understand that these events usually happen in certain countries, but if an 'outsider' applies I think they should have an advantage. They obviously want the event, or they wouldn't have applied.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Haha! :-D

True confessions :laugh: - I was checking flights to all the cities last night. Nothing like planning a little ahead! :slink:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^ All I could think of was, oh please -- don't make it somewhere where I have to change planes twice! :laugh2: Helsinki was bad enough. For that reason alone, Montreal and Stockholm got my vote because I can get there easily. I agree though that it's great to have it in places that haven't hosted. And I just said to a skating friend of mine the other day "Why don't they have anything in Eastern Europe". So I was glad to see Zagreb on the list. Would also LOVE Budapest...Ok, now I'm off to check hotels. :scard7: (Why did you have to give me this idea?!)

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The Ottawa bus station is fine. Pretty much the same as other greyhound stations in Ontario. At least all the ones I've been to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I'm totally cheering for Rotterdam with you Winnie. Is it too much to ask to get the Championship to a country that doesn't have Figure Skating events every other week? I think it should be in a country that doesn't have a Grand Prix. And, what's even better, the skaters are on even ground, no 'home-ice advantage'. Helsinki was just great in that regard. I understand that these events usually happen in certain countries, but if an 'outsider' applies I think they should have an advantage. They obviously want the event, or they wouldn't have applied.

similar to GPF which were in Barcelona, yes - Javier's country, but no major FS traditions or competitions held and yet what an atmosphere, even just watching on TV.

I'm totally all about Rotterdam, it would be a tight saving for me probably, but I already swore to myself that I'll try my best to attend in ISU Championships if in Europe. I'm already checking ticket thread about Milan 2018 and guys there are TEMPTING like heck (Winnie is already there also!!!), I'm starting my FS extravaganza saving from July and hope it will be enough to make myself a FS birthday in March 2018:biggrin:

teeannroo

On the Ice
Oh look! Great Britain is hosting Synchro Junior Worlds in 2020. And you'll never guess where it is being held.

(I'll give you a clue. Sheffield hosted Figure Skating Europeans in 2012).

Yep, you guessed it! It's Nottingham's turn.

So predictable. :sarcasm:

And I bet that the next thing NISA are granted will be held in Sheffield. And the next thing after that will be in Nottingham.

I tell you. We'll never get anything held here in Northern Ireland. :disapp:

...or Scotland...

...or Wales...

...or anywhere else in England!

CaroLiza_fan

Omg I live about 45 mins away from both places O_O

I'm surprised GB is finally doing anything we don't really seem to have much figure skating here