Pairs & Dance Teams with Citizenship Issues | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Pairs & Dance Teams with Citizenship Issues

noidont

Final Flight
Wait now, all you have to do to get Israeli citizenship is to convert yourself to Judaism?

Purv

Match Penalty
Glad for Aljona. "Murder on the Ice "with Bruno as the victim would have otherwise been her next FS theme.

WGloria

Rinkside
It was adorable to read the quotes from Bruno, describing how happy and "light" he felt. He's such a big guy (for pairs, for figure skating). Simply delightful.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Congrats to Bruno! :hap10:

I'm very sad Tobias/Tkachenko won't be at Olympics :cry:

Weathergal

Medalist
I've updated the first post to reflect all the skaters who've now gotten their citizenship :hap93: and ones who haven't :(. Additionally I listed a few I'm not sure of. :scratch2: Please add any updates, corrections, or other teams who are still waiting to this thread, and I'll update the original post again. Thanks!

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I've updated the first post to reflect all the skaters who've now gotten their citizenship :hap93: and ones who haven't :(. Additionally I listed a few I'm not sure of. :scratch2: Please add any updates, corrections, or other teams who are still waiting to this thread, and I'll update the original post again. Thanks!

I believe the two guys from the French pairs didn't have their citizenship, which is why France gave back the second pairs spot.

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
Natalia KALISZEK / Maksym SPODYRIEV
Natalia - Poland, Maksym - Ukraine - Does Maksym have Polish citizenship?

Justyna PLUTOWSKA / Jeremie FLEMIN
Justyna - Poland, Jeremie - France - Does Jeremie have Polish citizenship?

Maksym - yes, he does. For more than a year now.
Jeremie - no, not yet. I suppose he will get it at the end of the day, but probably not in time for the Olys. Nevertheless, their chances to see Pyongchang, even if he somehow get the the citizenship, will be pretty much non-existent since Poland has only one spot.

Nirti

Medalist
Lola ESBRAT / Andrei NOVOSELOV
Lola - France , Andrei - Russia - Does Andrei have French citizenship?

Camille MENDOZA / Pavel KOVALEV
Camille - France, Pavel - Ukraine? - Does Pavel have French citizenship?

Both don't have french citizenship and will not receive it before OG, that's why France will not use his 2nd spot in pairs.

For Cortney Mansour, when she'll be named Cortney Mansourova, we'll be sure she has czech citizenship ^^

NicolettaL

Final Flight
Maksym - yes, he does. For more than a year now.
Jeremie - no, not yet. I suppose he will get it at the end of the day, but probably not in time for the Olys. Nevertheless, their chances to see Pyongchang, even if he somehow get the the citizenship, will be pretty much non-existent since Poland has only one spot.

Exactly
Maksim has a passport
Jeremie does not. Their case got moved to Warsaw recently, but I'm quite sure the Polish Fed will do everything to ban any chance of putting Polish ID spot up for grab. There is a field for both couples to face-off if Jeremie will get the passport, but Kaliszek/Spodirev list themselves as "Polish Olympians", Natalia's father is the current president of the federation so practicaly the case of Polish Oly spot is closed. Witch is actually sad, cause Kaliszek promissed a new clear, open and awesome chapter in Polish Fed history, but some things will never change I guess...

Jana

On the Ice

anyanka

Record Breaker
Exactly
Maksim has a passport
Jeremie does not. Their case got moved to Warsaw recently, but I'm quite sure the Polish Fed will do everything to ban any chance of putting Polish ID spot up for grab. There is a field for both couples to face-off if Jeremie will get the passport, but Kaliszek/Spodirev list themselves as "Polish Olympians", Natalia's father is the current president of the federation so practicaly the case of Polish Oly spot is closed. Witch is actually sad, cause Kaliszek promissed a new clear, open and awesome chapter in Polish Fed history, but some things will never change I guess...

Thanks for sharing that and being on top of this!

purplebabe

Rinkside
Wow. I thought even a hint of Jewishness (see below) was enough to get citizenship straight away.

But, it's good to hear that the sports minister got involved. It shows that the Isrealis do value figure skating. Many other governments would just ignore it, or laugh it off.

Don't worry, I knew things had been better since the change in the White House. BUT, I was under the impression that it had cooled in the past few weeks.

According to Isabella, he has got Jewish heritage. And that is why they chose Israel rather than the other options they had available - because both of them had that connection:

"We had four options," Tobias explained: "The USA, where I'm originally from; Russia, where Ilia comes from; Lithuania; and Israel. The U.S. would have granted him citizenship one year too late at best; Russia wanted me to give away my American passport, which I would never do; and the experts we consulted assured (us) that Lithuania would never grant him citizenship (I barely got mine). So we chose Israel, as I am of Jewish origin, and Ilia has also some Jewish roots via his mother, which makes it easier.

Source: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016...ava-rolls-tobias-explains-israeli-connections

That explains a lot. Thank you for the insight.

How long has he been in office? Because there are already quite a few Ukrainians skating for Israel.

CaroLiza_fan

So, what does this mean for them? Are they retired now or still planning to compete this season? They've withdrawn from every competition so far. Hmm, will they be at Europeans and Worlds? Perhaps they only wanted to go to Olympics and since that isn't going to happen, they are now retired?

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So, what does this mean for them? Are they retired now or still planning to compete this season? They've withdrawn from every competition so far. Hmm, will they be at Europeans and Worlds? Perhaps they only wanted to go to Olympics and since that isn't going to happen, they are now retired?

I hope if they're both healthy, they'll skate at Europeans and Worlds. They're beautiful skaters, with such unique programs and qualities ... especially Isabella's ballerina qualities, which go so well with his classical Russian skating. I enjoy them every time they skate ... there are more reasons to skate besides Olympics, or even competing. (I know this may sound shocking to some, but there you go.)

For whatever future paths they take, I think it would be good to have another Europeans and Worlds on their resumes. And maybe that path will be to continue competing and try again for Israeli citizenship, or coaching, choreography, show skating. Who knows. These are only my hopes and dreams for them; I have no idea what they'll do.