2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 300 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating

tars

Record Breaker
What an amazing ex from Zhenya! So free, emotional and strong, it's like a scream of relief, anger and commitment to the sport put together in one skate. I read this performance as "missed you so much, I'm happy that I came back, mad and disappointed that I lost yet determined for the future.". Bravo! :clapper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okHbQjkdXuY :love:

skatingfan200

Medalist
What an amazing ex from Zhenya! So free, emotional and strong, it's like a scream of relief, anger and commitment to the sport put together in one skate. I read this performance as "missed you so much, I'm happy that I came back, mad and disappointed that I lost yet determined for the future.". Bravo! :clapper:

yeah and the jumps looks much better than yesterday. Who thinks that she has alreay lost Gold should watch this perfomance.

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
Evgenia's new EX (but I think she won't skate it at Oly)

I believe she will.

Even with her ability to surprise and amaze me again and again, I still can't believe that there can be anything more suitable for these particular Olympics.

russianfan

Match Penalty
C’mon, what did she say

i'll let someone else translate, because in interviews like this it's very easy to translate something a little bit different and the whole point becomes very different :)

The most interesting part for me was about Lipnitskaya: Eteri was surprised to hear from Yulia's mother at the beginning that Yulia is age-eligible for Olympics, like this is the most important thing ("Wow, you still have to learn how to jump, and they already plan the Olympics").
Also this part
Maybe for Julia it was right. But when Julia got the Sochi-2014 medal, the first thing she asked: "Mom, Mom, did you want this medal? It's an Olympic medal! "Mom says:" Yes" and I saw in the eyes of Yulia as if something has turned off," Tutberidze said.

mrrice

Record Breaker

That was really fantastic.......Medve"Diva" that's my new for Evgenia......I just love her skating.

Grin

Medalist
i'll let someone else translate, because in interviews like this it's very easy to translate something a little bit different and the whole point becomes very different :)

The most interesting part for me was about Lipnitskaya: Eteri was surprised to hear from Yulia's mother at the beginning that Yulia is age-eligible for Olympics, like this is the most important thing ("Wow, you still have to learn how to jump, and they already plan the Olympics").
Also this part
Probably 'Mom, is this the medal you wanted?' Is more accurate.

millie

Medalist
Now I'm afraid that Alina will win the OGM and retire :eeking:... I'd rather want her to continue and progress.
Plus I think that Evgenia deserves that OGM more as the dominant lady in the last couple of years.

Well this proves that anything can happen in figure skating. For someone that has been following and watching figure skating for over 25 years, it's not over until it's over. All those nay Sayers about other girls from other countries not having a chance at the OGM, This proves that Zhenya is human and she can makes mistakes while another skater can be spot on and win it all. Let the Games Begin....
With this tension building with Alina and Zhenya and Eteri, anything can happen...no need to sugar coat the situation. Anyone could see the tension between their coach and the two girls. She is going to take sides and one of the girls are going to be pushed aside, Alina. Eteri was visibly upset that Zhenya lost to Alina. For once I felt pity for Alina from the wrath of Eteri.

millie

Medalist
Well, its human that you prefer one person over another. Makes Eteri not a bad person. (which some users in this forum claims)

It's ok to prefer one person over another. In this situation, at a mayor competition, where Eteri was coaching and representing two girls, she should have kept her emotions under control. Anyone could see how upset she was when Zhenya got silver. Zhenya was also visibly upset. My heart went out to Alina, knowing that she wasn't the favourite in Eteri's eyes and while Zhenya was being comforted by Eteri, where was Alina, by herself. This does not make Eteri a bad person but a despicable coach.

Grin

Medalist
I wonder what will happen if goldenskate forum users will watch just once how Eteri trains her girls

madison

Record Breaker
It's ok to prefer one person over another. In this situation, at a mayor competition, where Eteri was coaching and representing two girls, she should have kept her emotions under control. Anyone could see how upset she was when Zhenya got silver. Zhenya was also visibly upset. My heart went out to Alina, knowing that she wasn't the favourite in Eteri's eyes and while Zhenya was being comforted by Eteri, where was Alina, by herself. This does not make Eteri a bad person but a despicable coach.

My heart is also with Alina in this situation. I just imagine how difficult it is to know that her main coach and role-model has a clear preference and that even the crowds in Russia would have preferred Evgenia to win. I watched the small medals' ceremony and someone from the public congratulated only Evgenia telling that she was the best or something similar. I think it's rude. It's not Alina's fault that this time she was better and won. Evgenia had proven fair-play and her fans should do the same.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
I'll let russianfan or some Russian speaker do the real translation, but Google said that:
1. she trains with irony, if she says something offensive, it's a joke and her students know this (Tarakanova said that 90% of practices are in jokes in a separate interview)
2. press calls students robots; she says that they're <45kg skaters, aren't necessarily robots
3. if you raise the age for seniors to 18, the level of skating will regress because "the body is getting ready for motherhood"

4. she kicked Alina out of her group to go back home (we already knew this but Vogue readers probably don't)
5. when Yulia came to her group, her mother said that Yulia was age-eligible for the Olympics and Eteri's response was "you need to learn how to jump first"

Okay, I find this upsetting. Especially after seeing Evgenia is getting thinner instead of filling in and rounding up like a healthy adult.

The more I read more Eteri and her couching, the less it makes me enjoy performances of her girls, because as amazing they may be... one has to wonder what is behind them. Maybe I would prefer Evgenia with less jumps and more healthy curves. Or maybe she is okay and I just see things that aren't there. Hopefully.

Btw, why did she kick Alina out? I don't know much abuout that.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Okay, I find this upsetting. Especially after seeing Evgenia is getting thinner instead of filling in and rounding up like a healthy adult.

The more I read more Eteri and her couching, the less it makes me enjoy performances of her girls, because as amazing they may be... one has to wonder what is behind them. Maybe I would prefer Evgenia with less jumps and more healthy curves. Or maybe she is okay and I just see things that aren't there. Hopefully.

Btw, why did she kick Alina out? I don't know much abuout that.
hey, I was just putting in google translate!
I don't know about how they train but I love their girls and they're obviously fine with it (and so are their parents!) Plus, it works. And we like seeing them!

She kicked Alina out because she wasn't working hard enough. In that group, you have to be self-motivating; no one will tell you "okay, go do a triple lutz combo" you have to do things yourself. And Alina wasn't used to that and struggled to get used to it. Eteri thought she wasn't working hard-->bye bye Alina.
But then she came to give Eteri flowers as she was leaving and Eteri said "let's try again".

Alifyre

On the Ice

Yeah, I also find it a little worrying that Zhenya appears to be getting thinner. Certainly it helps to be slender in the sport, but there are plenty of women in the sport who do have a more adult body that still can compete at a high level and even win world medals (Osmond and Daleman come to mind, among others). Evgenia seems naturally very slender and has been winning at her old weight, so I can't fathom why weight loss would be a tactic for her. In the long run, restricting an athlete's weight can harm their bodies as they don't have the nutrients to fuel their workouts, let alone heal and recover from them. I'd imagine skaters have the balance down to a near-science, but with the revelations like Lipnitskaya, Gold, and Daleman having struggled with disordered eating, it does cause a little worry. I really hope it proves to be a non-issue.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Yeah, I also find it a little worrying that Zhenya appears to be getting thinner. Certainly it helps to be slender in the sport, but there are plenty of women in the sport who do have a more adult body that still can compete at a high level and even win world medals (Osmond and Daleman come to mind, among others). Evgenia seems naturally very slender and has been winning at her old weight, so I can't fathom why weight loss would be a tactic for her. In the long run, restricting an athlete's weight can harm their bodies as they don't have the nutrients to fuel their workouts, let alone heal and recover from them. I'd imagine skaters have the balance down to a near-science, but with the revelations like Lipnitskaya, Gold, and Daleman having struggled with disordered eating, it does cause a little worry. I really hope it proves to be a non-issue.

Absolutely incorrect comparisons. All mentioned ladies are endomorphs or mesomorphs. Zhenya is an ectomorph. She is fine, that's for sure.