2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 302 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating

tars

Record Breaker
Sharov adores Sotskova, he's supporting her for many years. I guess he's mainly mad at Caro stealing the bronze.
Still, putting solo Med's photo with words of respect and love without anything Alina was meaningful as well.
He should have known better. :noshake:

winky97

Medalist
https://www.instagram.com/p/BeOOWvIhIBg/?taken-by=mihail_sharov
Look, here.. Alina looks so sad in this photo :( they will manage to destroy her happiness after winning this and her confidence too :(

She does look sad. I am proud of the baby and will be pulling for her in Feb. Medvedeva seemed genuine in her congratulations to her and understands, I think, that this is the way of sport. The gentlemen that sat with her in KnC seem to geninuely care for her. I don’t think anyone is going to break her spirit.

winky97

Medalist
Sharov adores Sotskova, he's supporting her for many years. I guess he's mainly mad at Caro stealing the bronze.
Still, putting solo Med's photo with words of respect and love without anything Alina was meaningful as well.
He should have known better. :noshake:

Make a little more sense. When I saw the picture yesterday and translated what he wrote I felt some kinda way because it almost seemed that he had problems with Alina winning since he had Medvedeva’s pic with it.

ewdokia

On the Ice
seems like Eteri gave an interview to Vogue (i guess that was before competition)
here is some parts from it

i guess the whole interview is controversial enough and deserves a separate thread, if anyone will be able to provide a translation

For the controversial parts I step in:

"... Пресса пишет про моих фигуристок – «роботы». Ну какие они роботы? Девочки весом меньше сорока пяти килограммов. Сейчас многие ратуют за то, чтобы поднять планку допуска во взрослые соревнования до восемнадцати лет, но тогда начнется регресс. Когда девочки взрослеют, организм начинает готовиться к материнству, начинает замедляться, беречь себя»

“The press writes about my skaters that they are robots. What robots? Girls weighing less then 45 kilos. Now many people plead that for senior competitions you are only admitted above 18 years, but then regress starts. If girls grow up, the organism starts to prepare for motherhood, becomes slower to protect himself.”

Well, interestingly skaters like Irina Slutkaya, Kaetlyn Osmond or Gabriele Daleman didn't regress after age 18. It seems to be connected to Eteri's coaching methods. But well, can we say that she here openly admitted that she can coach girls successfully only till age 18? :palmf:

«Я не знаю, что такое характер победителя и как его выковать. Все это лирика. У спортсмена просто должен быть характер. Он поставил цель и должен к ней прийти. Независимо от того, болит у него что-то, устал, страшно. Пусть это будет маленькая цель: сделать прыжок, откатать программу целиком, отработать на тренировке так, чтобы никто не заметил, что у тебя ножка болит."

"I don’t know what is the character of a winner and how to create it. It’s lyrics. An athlete must have character. He sets up a goals and strives for them. Independent of something hurting, being tired or being terrible. And if it’s only a small goal: to do a jump, skate the program as whole, work in practice in a way that nobody recognizes, that your leg hurts."

So this coach thinks it's cool to skate despite injury and to even hide it. We've seen how far Zhenia got with it: a minor injury became a major one and one endangering her chances for Olympic gold. I better not comment any further on it. :dev2:

millie

Medalist

"... Пресса пишет про моих фигуристок – «роботы». Ну какие они роботы? Девочки весом меньше сорока пяти килограммов. Сейчас многие ратуют за то, чтобы поднять планку допуска во взрослые соревнования до восемнадцати лет, но тогда начнется регресс. Когда девочки взрослеют, организм начинает готовиться к материнству, начинает замедляться, беречь себя»

“The press writes about my skaters that they are robots. What robots? Girls weighing less then 45 kilos. Now many people plead that for senior competitions you are only admitted above 18 years, but then regress starts. If girls grow up, the organism starts to prepare for motherhood, becomes slower to protect himself.”

Well, interestingly skaters like Irina Slutkaya, Kaetlyn Osmond or Gabriele Daleman didn't regress after age 18. It seems to be connected to Eteri's coaching methods. But well, can we say that she here openly admitted that she can coach girls successfully only till age 18? :palmf:

«Я не знаю, что такое характер победителя и как его выковать. Все это лирика. У спортсмена просто должен быть характер. Он поставил цель и должен к ней прийти. Независимо от того, болит у него что-то, устал, страшно. Пусть это будет маленькая цель: сделать прыжок, откатать программу целиком, отработать на тренировке так, чтобы никто не заметил, что у тебя ножка болит."

"I don’t know what is the character of a winner and how to create it. It’s lyrics. An athlete must have character. He sets up a goals and strives for them. Independent of something hurting, being tired or being terrible. And if it’s only a small goal: to do a jump, skate the program as whole, work in practice in a way that nobody recognizes, that your leg hurts."

So this coach thinks it's cool to skate despite injury and to even hide it. We've seen how far Zhenia got with it: a minor injury became a major one and one endangering her chances for Olympic gold. I better not comment any further on it. :dev2:

And parents or guardians pay her to do this to their children...Anything to win. Instead of putting theses little girls down, I pity the little darlings...they are only children. I would put another name to this, but.... probably there will be memoirs written someday.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
First of all, Eteri never said that she can only coach skaters until 18. She said that skaters are at their best before age 18 and that it's a shame to try to limit senior age competitions to skaters above 18.
Also: she's not talking about injuries when she says that. She's talking about "oh I have a headache" (or: I have a slight fever, or I started my period today and I'm cramping) Obviously she supports skaters through their injuries, see: Evgenia and Polina. She never says that it's "cool to skate despite injury and to even hide it". She's instead saying that the mindset of a champion is to not let little things such as headaches affect training.

If you don't have nice things to say about the Russian ladies, please leave. That's how it works in the Canadian thread, the US thread, the Japanese thread, etc. This is supposed to be a haven, especially with the turns that competition threads take. So please, don't start conflict.

ewdokia

On the Ice
If you don't have nice things to say about the Russian ladies, please leave. That's how it works in the Canadian thread, the US thread, the Japanese thread, etc. This is supposed to be a haven, especially with the turns that competition threads take. So please, don't start conflict.
I have a lot of nice things to say about Russian ladies since many of them are my favorites, like e.g. Polina. I not necessarily have to like their coaches. Besides a link to this interview has been posted here with a statement that it might contain controversial statements and asked for translation. That was not me and and I simply picked out that parts. So what? I know Russian, I’m sorry for helping out. With that no controversial interviews should be posted here as well. :rolleye:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I don't think Polina would appreciate the way you talk about Eteri. She is indeed her coach and I'm sure she respects her very much and looks up to her quite a lot.
Thank you for translating though. It is a controversial interview indeed and I guess it's that that's starting conflict. Truce?

Sivush

Rinkside
So what? I know Russian, I’m sorry for helping out. With that no controversial interviews should be posted here as well. :rolleye:
It's really kind of taken out of context. On the contrary Eteri said about importance of strong inner motivation. If athlete isn't mentally ready to tolerate pressure, hunger, pain and go step by step to her dream so according to Eteri it is really hard to make winner without right state of mind.
I think it's better to do full translation of her thoughts to allow for not-russian speakers to make their own conclusions. I can do it tomorrow if nobody has taken it already.

ewdokia

On the Ice
I don't think Polina would appreciate the way you talk about Eteri. She is indeed her coach and I'm sure she respects her very much and looks up to her quite a lot.
Thank you for translating though. It is a controversial interview indeed and I guess it's that that's starting conflict. Truce?
I care for Polina and about her having a long-lasting career, maybe that’s why I don’t care so much what she would think about it. :rolleye:

I don’t see how being critical about a statement saying that ladies are in principle only progressing till age 18 can be seen as criticism on Russian ladies in general? – This as you mentioned one should not say anything negative about Russian ladies here. :shrug:

About controversy - I didn’t know this is kind of fan thread where you must not discuss anything controversial as it’s in the main forum. Obviously I’m not alone with that. But ok, I’ll stay away. :slink:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

The first part well... Osmond and Daleman's programs are significantly easier than what Eteri's girls are doing, plus Canada gave them all the time to recover when they were out for injuries or simply they couldn't do difficult programs simply because there weren't other skaters, there was no competition in Canada after Joannie Roachette retirement.

Similar case for Slutskaya. There weren't many other strong russian skaters able to beat her, yes Butyrskaya and Sokolova but that was it. So again Russia gave her the time to rest when she was injured.

The competition in Russia nowadays is so tough that if you skip a year, you have almost zero chances to recover because every year new kids comes from juniors and they are always significantly better than anyone else in senior.

I don't like the way she explained it, but yes girls in the 15-18 range are much more stronger than the older ones, it's a fact. The counter balance from ISU is the fact that older skaters tend to receive higher components for their reputation.

The second part i think she said that a skater must have character in the sense that sometimes you're in competition and you have to skate even if you are injured and that's the reality for many skaters, we've seen Eric Radford and Evgenia Tarasova last year at Worlds.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, very tactless.... and even that photographer M. Sharov posted some comments that he is very disappointed with the results and some bad comments towards Alina.

No he didn't :palmf: If you follow him you would know he is Maria's number 1 fan. No one comes close to his dedication to her. That comment was all about Maria and Carolina without naming names. But he had people like you jumping to the wrong conclusion and had to set the record straight.

winky97

Medalist
No he didn't :palmf: If you follow him you would know he is Maria's number 1 fan. No one comes close to his dedication to her. That comment was all about Maria and Carolina without naming names. But he had people like you jumping to the wrong conclusion and had to set the record straight.

Well it was kinda his fault people jumped to that conclusion because he put a picture of Medvedeva up with his statement. When I translated what he said I though he had issues with Zagitova having won. I did not message him or harass him as apparently others have done , but I did kinda think “wow” and hoped that maybe something got lost in translation. I did see how he has since explained things.

winky97

Medalist
The first part well... Osmond and Daleman's programs are significantly easier than what Eteri's girls are doing, plus Canada gave them all the time to recover when they were out for injuries or simply they couldn't do difficult programs simply because there weren't other skaters, there was no competition in Canada after Joannie Roachette retirement.

Similar case for Slutskaya. There weren't many other strong russian skaters able to beat her, yes Butyrskaya and Sokolova but that was it. So again Russia gave her the time to rest when she was injured.

The competition in Russia nowadays is so tough that if you skip a year, you have almost zero chances to recover because every year new kids comes from juniors and they are always significantly better than anyone else in senior.

I don't like the way she explained it, but yes girls in the 15-18 range are much more stronger than the older ones, it's a fact. The counter balance from ISU is the fact that older skaters tend to receive higher components for their reputation.

The second part i think she said that a skater must have character in the sense that sometimes you're in competition and you have to skate even if you are injured and that's the reality for many skaters, we've seen Eric Radford and Evgenia Tarasova last year at Worlds.

Are girls stronger between 15-18 or is it simply easier to the heavy tech content because that body may not have changed fully or developed? I kinda thought the body change thing was what she was talking about because she said something about the body changing for children. Not trying to argue about it. Just curious.

Amei

Record Breaker
Are girls stronger between 15-18 or is it simply easier to the heavy tech content because that body may not have changed fully or developed? I kinda thought the body change thing was what she was talking about because she said something about the body changing for children. Not trying to argue about it. Just curious.

Well once a girl goes through puberty most likely their center of gravity has shifted, plus post-puberty a girl starts to get these wonderful hormones that can affect their ability to stay slim for instance bloating can happen and that's not something that diet and exercise prevent.

russianfan

Match Penalty
I have a lot of nice things to say about Russian ladies since many of them are my favorites, like e.g. Polina. I not necessarily have to like their coaches. Besides a link to this interview has been posted here with a statement that it might contain controversial statements and asked for translation. That was not me and and I simply picked out that parts. So what? I know Russian, I’m sorry for helping out. With that no controversial interviews should be posted here as well. :rolleye:

Thx for translation, but your comments to it are exaggerated at the very least. That's why i said that this interview is controversial - different people will understand her words in different ways.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
It occurred to me that Alina is now on a path, that in many ways echoes Julia Lipnitskaia when she was the same age:

Going to the Olympics at 15 years old... first year in seniors... suddenly (from a "mainstream" perspective) being considered an olympic gold medal contender... the weight of that expectation... the inevitable media circus that will follow... same coaching team that doesn't seem great (to me) at helping young skaters cope with such pressures...

Things didn't go well for Julia under that crushing pressure at such a young age... she crumbled in the Olympic individual competition, and finished nowhere near the podium, in 5th. Ultimately, I think that experience was very damaging for Julia, and the start of a long, slow decline that ended in way-too-early retirement...

I really hope things will be different and better for Alina... but I am worried for her...