2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 391 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating

tars

Record Breaker
I guess it only affects Russian judges for some reason.
Oh why her beauty doesn’t have effect on international judges?
As we know very well, presentation and presence are downplayed on junior level. It's completely different story in senior competitions like Worlds, I think we may expect some nice PCS boost for our beautiful Stanislava there. :agree:

madison

Record Breaker
it's not clear in insta post - are they gonna built new one or government will give to Sambo70 a rink already build.

Oh, i don't know, I translated with google translate.
But the important thing is that they'll have another rink, or not?

russianfan

Match Penalty
Good news. Medvedeva, Bobrova and Tutberidze all asked president about that, so seems like it will happen. With such results that Eteri brings - she deserves the best facilities possible.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
How do you all define skating skills? I, for example, just notice when skaters' blades like smeared with glue, if you know what I mean. It looks like they have full control and mastery. Melkumova, Tarakanova, Kostornaia, Gubanova, I would say I also see mastery skating from three Panova's girls, not the best gliding, but control is very nice. But Dmitrieva's skating look average and worse than Moroz's.
What am I missing? 🤔
Hmm, but in my post I didn't really talk about her skating skills...

Anyway:

Speed of traveling, Edge quality, momentum retainment, the amount of need for "filler" assistance(related to two-foot skating), performing steps accurately, speed of actual footwork, speed of acceleration(and effort required for it) some specific instances that require very precise coordination. It's pretty different from the "skating skills"-mark, which has a lot of stuff simply being about choreography. And I don't subscribe to the "high quality crossovers"-philosophy.

In order to recognize good skating skills, you just need to, uh... watch Ksenia Melkumova. Well, I guess I'll give an example...

https://streamable.com/v8ur9

So in this clip, at the start she does a split jump thingy and then isn't really having great speed. She performs a bracket turn(A difficult turn) and just explodes off it with the deepest outside edge imaginable and totally regains momentum instantly without any need for filler strokes. Then note during the sequence of three difficult turns(rocker counter counter) afterwards, note how she carries momentum, how fast the turns are and how deep the edges are on everything. Really, just look at the outside edges.

Now, it's not like Berestovskaya's skating skills still are bad for her age, but you can just compare to Berestovskaya at Elements. You can see she does not have such capability to accelerate off the difficult steps at all, in fact every time she performs a couple in a sequence she almost slows down to a crawl and needs to perform tons of filler hops or strokes.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
As always very interesting and informative, Shayuki! :agree: That's exactly what I meant by saying smeared with glue, like she can do anything on the ice and not be afraid to fall or stepuout during her stsq, total control, speed and mastery. And that's exactly why I asked our dear friend alvina9894 about that, because Dmitrieva's skating is not even close, it seems slow and pretty bad.

But it's always easy to compare genious' skating with others, Ksenia is an exception. What if we're talking about other skaters without Melkumova and Tarakanova? Who are right behind them? [emoji848]

I mean a star vs. an average skater - it's easy to notice differences. But what about random more less close lvl skaters: Skater 1, Skater 2, Skater 3 (well, she's obviously slower, but still). Who is the best of them in skating skills? [emoji848]
I guess that's true. I think Melkumova even at 8 years of age has the best skating skills out of the 2005-2009 age bracket(at the very least). I just wanted to show a very obvious example of good skating skills but in reality, I guess that's almost useless information for comparing skaters who are nowhere near that level.

When it comes to Kanysheva, Moroz and Usacheva, I think that Kanysheva has the strongest skating skills by a mile. Nice momentum maintenance, solid difficult steps, fantastic edges. Not a skating skill super talent by any means but still very formidable. And Moroz is the weakest by a mile. It's as if someone dipped Moroz's skates in tar. Every step seems like a struggle. Very painful to watch. Now as for Usacheva, she is closer to Kanysheva than Moroz. Edges aren't as good and it doesn't look as effortless. She also seems to have a bit worse control and precision overall and seems to need more filler. But still, much better than Moroz who is simply dreadful.

Dmitrieva - I think she's pretty good. Somewhat slow and laboured in what she does but the quality is alright. Very nice edges, better momentum maintenance than Berestovskaya, some very pretty steps. She definitely is better than Moroz. But worse than Kanysheva.

I'd probably rate her #3 after Akatieva and Samodelkina out of the big names who can do all triples well in 2007 age group. Not sure about the skater with the extremely long name for st. PB who I hadn't heard of before, need to check if she would rate ahead also.

russianfan

Match Penalty
I'd probably rate her #3 after Akatieva and Samodelkina out of the big names who can do all triples well in 2007 age group. Not sure about the skater with the extremely long name for st. PB who I hadn't heard of before, need to check if she would rate ahead also.

oh guys... you're fanatics :laugh:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker

Was going to say Kamila Sultanmagomedova, but she's Moscow. The St. Petersburg girls competing in the upper age group at Younger Age, if that helps, are: Anastasia Metelkina, Alexandra Makharolova, Daria Afinogenova, Sofia Moroz, Nikol Vaitkus, Eva Kobzar, and Anastasia Krasavina

- - - Updated - - -

oh guys... you're fanatics :laugh:

But you love us as we are :)

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Shayuki meant her. 🙂
Ah, you're right. It's not even that huge a name, huh. Berestovskaya's is longer. I guess it just is difficult to remember.
Was going to say Kamila Sultanmagomedova, but she's Moscow.
Well, not that long! I almost hope she'll get international competition spots just to hear her name announced.

Thanks for trying to help, though she was in the younger age group :pray:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Ah, you're right. It's not even that huge a name, huh. Berestovskaya's is longer. I guess it just is difficult to remember.

Well, not that long! I almost hope she'll get international competition spots just to hear her name announced.

Thanks for trying to help, though she was in the younger age group :pray:

aw, no, wrong group!
I watched Valeriia earlier today and quite liked her :)
she could get a JGP if she gets those 3-3s done, which I think will happen in three years.