2017-2018 State of S. Korean Figure Skating | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 State of S. Korean Figure Skating

tars

Record Breaker
Yelim's new SP, much better one! Shame about jumps :( She's 9th. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49D-5W1CLys
You Young did well (a bit underscored on PCS :disapp:) 5th after short. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdcicLt7wUA
Every time I watch Yelim, I get the same impression: she's so obviously better than what she shows in competition, like sth was holding her back. She seems to be so light and free on that ice and always some errors/imperfections happen. :angry2:

Cmon girl, skate clean in LP! :pray::cheer2:

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
OMG
Thank goodness someone stepped up and told Yelim to change her programs! :drama: The Cats program is better because it masks her weakness in presentation....or lack thereof. The girl clearly had some work done with her speed and posture. Still, I want ALL of the girls to go to a ballet class to work on their lines and continue to refine themselves. I actually like her new program! There are some nice praising here and there. It also didn't bore me and it didn't really rely on cuteness. And also, helluloooh to that gorgeous new dress!

breadstal

Record Breaker
Last JGP event, both Young and Yelim did well! Both just had one element with negative GOE, everything else was positive.

Young was 4th in free (117.28) and 5th overall (177.70). Nicely done from Young, fall and UR on 2A-3T but everything else was good! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIqIP0wnQFY

Yelim was 6th today (115.42, PB and really nice skate from Yelim! So happy for her, much better programs and jumps looked amazing today other than last combo and 6th overall (167.64). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIqIP0wnQFY

Good job, girls. JGP season ended for Korean skaters, I had a little bigger expectations, I expected better results but well, the lack of competition in S. Korea/ level of coaching/ national bias in figure skating judging and pressure showed up this season, nothing that is easy to be changed. Eunsoo is 3rd replacement, she really almost had the Final in her hands so it's such a shame :sad21: Still, Eunsoo was awesome like always, Young had very decent debut season with all the pressure I think she's the best competitor from Holy Trinity, Yelim was hot and cold but I think she's going in right direction. So no matter what, they worked so so hard so good job to them and all Korean skaters who competed in JGP Series :hap10:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Good job, girls. JGP season ended for Korean skaters, I had a little bigger expectations, I expected better results but well, the lack of competition in S. Korea/ level of coaching/ national bias in figure skating judging and pressure showed up this season, nothing that is easy to be changed. Eunsoo is 3rd replacement, she really almost had the Final in her hands so it's such a shame :sad21: Still, Eunsoo was awesome like always, Young had very decent debut season with all the pressure I think she's the best competitor from Holy Trinity, Yelim was hot and cold but I think she's going in right direction. So no matter what, they worked so so hard so good job to them and all Korean skaters who competed in JGP Series :hap10:

I just wonder who out of 5 Russian girls, you think, should be knocked off the final because they received national bias in judging and who out of Korean girls should replace them?

Ender

Match Penalty
Young You is good already they just need more time to improve her programs especially they should cut down those crossovers and 2 foot skating. I love the girl but I don’t think she’s underscored. Her program is even weaker than Lim when it comes to transitions.

tars

Record Breaker
tbh, for me Young You seems to be the strongest korean junior right now
Here we go again with Russian fans playing their little mind tricks to diminish their most dangerous opponents from other countries. :biggrin:

Eunsoo is coming at you with full force in JWs and next season in seniors and you know it. :devil:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
At the beginning of the season, Eunsoo is my easy N0.1 Korean lady, but after all the JGP events ended today, my new fav is Young You. I cannot behow much she improved in her presentation. Eunsoo has good presentation, but after two seasons, I think she has a preferred style, which is sassy. But Young You seems to be more diverse: her SP and LP already have quite different styles, and she presented both very well. The nuances in her choreography, and how she matched every bit of the music make her a joy to watch. At this pace of improvement, she will be the best. Shae-Lynn Bourne probably should receive lots of credits for Young You's transformation.

Kara

Final Flight
I just wonder who out of 5 Russian girls, you think, should be knocked off the final because they received national bias in judging and who out of Korean girls should replace them?

Nice strawman. Breadstal only said better results which probably meant that they hoped for some better performances so better scores more than about making it into the final.:rolleye: I don't think any Korean skating fan can say that any of the Russian ladies competing in the final didn't deserve to make it in place of a Korean junior lol.

breadstal

Record Breaker

I thought about scoring, not placements, I agree with placements (in the Final).

breadstal

Record Breaker
And yes for all this love for You Young :hap10: I still think that Eunsoo in her best is ahead of Young and Yelim but she's been rather cautious and focues on being clean/ consistent, while Young is just attacking everything and I love her so much for that :love:

russianfan

Match Penalty
Here we go again with Russian fans playing their little mind tricks to diminish their most dangerous opponents from other countries. :biggrin:

Eunsoo is coming at you with full force in JWs and next season in seniors and you know it. :devil:

yeah... i remember the same about Marin, etc, etc.. but the truth is that Eunsoo is very unstable, when Young looks much more confident and has much better technique, which are the most important things in a current state of figure skating.
This is a simple fact, and it has nothing to do with my own preferences or something else.

ejnsofi

Final Flight

Most dangerous opponents from other countries? Is it Japanese ladies thread? :confused: :biggrin: :devil:

All right joking aside. I love Eunsoo - she has great presence on ice and she is natural performer but she isn't even close to be a danger for top Russian junior or Rika Kihira. She constantly loses lvls on spins (and it's visible in real life especially if we compare her to Japanese juniors who have killing spins) and her speed on step sequence is not so great. And it isn't hating. She really needs coach who will help her with it otherwise she will be in trouble soon and it's the last thing I'd like

You Young is more all-around skater. I don't enjoy her programs but I enjoy her skating and charisma. After making a mistake Eunsoo seems to be more reserved while Young attacks the rest of program.

And I'm happy Yelim changed her programs. She seems to be more comfortable with them

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
And yes for all this love for You Young :hap10: I still think that Eunsoo in her best is ahead of Young and Yelim but she's been rather cautious and focues on being clean/ consistent, while Young is just attacking everything and I love her so much for that :love:

Which is basically what happened to Young last year....
Regardless, I hope all three are positively motivated to push each other to improve and mature. :hap10:

Kara

Final Flight
Eunsoo is still my fave because first loves are hard to forget, but YY has really impressed me with the speed of growth she's had as a skater. Some cricket magic right there with how she's extending her arms and her jumps too. Her performances in Italy and the qualifying test skate were like day and night. Her biggest weakness right now imo is her skating skills. She doesn't really glide and seems to be sort of running/walking over the ice which takes up more of her energy than it should. She's in a great place surrounded by a top class team for that and many other aspects so I'm pretty much positive that she'll be transformed once again in nationals and can't wait for it.:hap10: LOVE the air swordfighting bow she did in the end too. So sassy and charismatic, dang girl.:laugh:

As for Yelim, I was really moved by her FS!!:sad4: Bby finally got it together and her new programs are so much better. I liked the Lala land EX more than her Lala land FS from the start so I'm glad she switched it up. Song is better too.:agree: She seemed more graceful in the FS and her reactions whenever she finishes always make me smile. I was pretty harsh on her after her last JGP, but I'm really rooting hard for her. I'm still not the biggest fan of her coach, but I'm glad she took action about the programs. She looks really young and Yelim seems to be her top student, so I'm actually hoping they could both get help from a more experienced coach for the non-jump elements.:/ More domestic coaches is always a good thing imo. Thought her arms and upper body movements looked quite nice in the FS though.

Eunsoo.:cry: She was definitely focused on as Korea's top junior both from outside and domestic eyes and the pressure really got to her. She was lacking the spark that she had in Dresden last year that made me fall in love. She's grown more sophisticated, but her spins have regressed from her height boost and she approached things really cautiously. Hoping she'll bounce back from the disappointment and learn to deal with the pressure because it never will really go away.

SIHYEONG, THE BOY WITH THE BEST COSTUMES.:luv17: His smiles after his jumps in the FS are everything. So so cute and did well in the FS! He's so tall though that I don't know how he'll handle more difficult programs jump wise.:hopelessness:

YOUNG HYUN'S PROGRAMS ARE SO FUN. I jammed to the music in the SP and the 2A at the very end was super gutsy, I love it. The sword flick movements to the sfx and the entrance to his step sequence in his FS are so good too.He has a lot of good qualities, but his wide open air position on his jumps lol.

Gonna comment on Sunghoon too since I didn't last week because Poland physically hurt me. Always making me feel like a creeper with a weird sense of guilt because he's so cute but I gotta stop myself because dude he's 14.:laugh: He has a certain elegance to him that I really like along with really nice spread eagles. Jumps weren't really with him there and he leans really forward on his take offs, but I hope he can slowly fix those issues and start going for the 3A. 2A in the short was nice with lots of distance. I love jumps with distance!!

Team Korea was super cute in Italy and while there were a lot of heartbreaks this JGP, it was really fun for me to follow them. The ladies all need to work on their spins and skating skills if they want to stand on the same stage as the other girls on top and I think they all know this, but it's a whole other matter all together whether they have the resources to get up to speed on that. Jihun was the pleasant surprise for me because she got level 4 on all her non-jump elements and her SS seemed good too so it's not like domestic training is hopeless in that area.:think: Anyway, hope everyone has a nice break and then gets back on the ice to work hard for nationals.:clap:

tjb

Match Penalty

apparently you are the guy, who pushing his agenda in various threads.
so was in japanese ladies thread, where you was trying to diminish all japanese ladies, in favor of your beloved marin. you annoyed japanese fans so much, that now you are forced to pretend that you like not just marin, but many of japanese ladies.
and now it's time for korean fans to know how every korean lady are not worthy of your precious and cute eunsoo.
as for me, i think that eunsoo is still the strongest korean lady at the moment, but i see a much more potential in young you. her improvment in a short period of time are really awesome and surprising.

Tulipstar

Medalist
I really enjoyed You Young's free yesterday. Like her packaging most of all the Korean junior ladies.

tars

Record Breaker
apparently you are the guy, who pushing his agenda in various threads.
You got me again. :hopelessness:
I've hoped nobody will notice my secret agenda of rooting for and supporting my faves. :scard8:

skatenewbie

Medalist
it will be a though decision to choose who'll go to JWC next year, but i think the top 2 junior so far is Eunsoo and You Young. i want to see Yunkyung in international competition though, sad that she can't compete in JGP because of injury