2017-2018 State of S. Korean Figure Skating | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 State of S. Korean Figure Skating

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Eunsoo is much better than Dabin and Dabin got 7th place at the Olympics!! For Korean skaters, they need more exposure on the senior scene to get the scores they deserve. Maybe Korean Federation should promote her as Korean #1 soon, which helped Dabin for sure.

breadstal

Record Breaker
Yelim for sure will stay in juniors, I can see Eunsoo moving up to seniors. KSU should finally get signals that only Eunsoo gets (somewhat) approval from international judges and is the only one with top results right now. They should send her somewhere if she's ready to take this step.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Have we heard any updates on yelim? She seemed to be injured at nationals. And I'm hoping for a coaching change...
There's a lot of possible reasons young didn't stay longer at TCC- they could've been busy prepping their other students for olympics, it's obviously costly to go overseas to train, etc...

ejnsofi

Final Flight
Have we heard any updates on yelim? She seemed to be injured at nationals. And I'm hoping for a coaching change...
There's a lot of possible reasons young didn't stay longer at TCC- they could've been busy prepping their other students for olympics, it's obviously costly to go overseas to train, etc...

Young's stay in Toronto was from the very beginning supposed to be temporary. I wish she stayed longer because she didn't improve much TBH (her spins are better but she still struggled with air position, URs, flip edge and painfully slow step sequences compared to Japanese and Russian junior girls).

The question is where they should go. Every one says Brian but his group is full and he is really picky when it comes to choosing students. I wonder if they could train in Japan as getting lvls on spins and step sequences seems to be the biggest problem and Japanese girls excel in both

s_parks

Record Breaker
Young's stay in Toronto was from the very beginning supposed to be temporary. I wish she stayed longer because she didn't improve much TBH (her spins are better but she still struggled with air position, URs, flip edge and painfully slow step sequences compared to Japanese and Russian junior girls).

The question is where they should go. Every one says Brian but his group is full and he is really picky when it comes to choosing students. I wonder if they could train in Japan as getting lvls on spins and step sequences seems to be the biggest problem and Japanese girls excel in both

Well yes, my point exactly. Not sure why everyone assumed it was a permanent coaching change. It takes a lot longer than a few months to truly see improvements. All the korean girls could use a better training environment(permanently). Eunsoo is a good performer and the most consistent of the girls, but clearly improvements in both SS and levels are in order. People say brian, tcc so easily because his students get results, but for the reasons you said, easier said than done.
A couple of korean skaters have trained(temporarily) in japan, but again, moving overseas to train longterm/permanently(or even temporarily, for many) isn't cheap. Not all the skaters' families have that much $$ to spare nor is KSU that supportive/have that much funds.

Izabela

On the Ice
Three words of advice to KSU: invest in Eunsoo. :pray:

I hope so too! I watched Eun-soo at the JGP 2017 and she had a beautiful skate there. I haven't seen her performance at 2018 JW so I can't judge how well she improved. But based on what I've seen so far, I would like them to work on her music choice though and have better choreography to include more transitions. But still, can't wait to see her senior debut.

Plumededragon

Medalist
I’m pretty sure KSU is aware that Eunsoo (YY and Yelim too but they’re still junior for now) is part of Korean FS future, but they do need to make decisions to really support her. Especially if she moves up to Senior next season.
I knew Young coaching arrangement was temporary but I can’t help hoping that she’ll come back train in TCC soon. Brian isn’t a miracle maker, development takes time, but he said he may take 1-2 more students. I can’t help hoping, though I doubt YY is one of them.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I knew Young coaching arrangement was temporary but I can’t help hoping that she’ll come back train in TCC soon. Brian isn’t a miracle maker, development takes time, but he said he may take 1-2 more students. I can’t help hoping, though I doubt YY is one of them.

This was my thought too. I guess Young wanted to test being coached abroad and to see if there is a good working potential with TCC. I actually thought that it was a successful partnership despite its short run. Her stay at TCC really improved her skating and maintained her confidence to win KNats.

ANYWAAAYYY

It has been noted there will be an ATS show on May 20-22.
https://twitter.com/fslove08/status/974161669407490048
The show will also bring in Olympic medalists to skate.

Hollymolly

Medalist
As for YY, I'm sad for her as she's probably beating herself up over it and I think she might have been shocked with her scores esp for the SP as to how different they were, but I sort of saw it coming with how they ignored URs in her free at nationals. I don't agree that she always URs, but the domestic judges are lenient with her.

On a side note, I miss Yunkyung so much.😭 How is she?

Yunkyung is not fully cured,But I listened she had started on-ice training in few weeks ago. I guess maybe she will comeback she used to!:)

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Yunkyung is not fully cured,But I listened she had started on-ice training in few weeks ago. I guess maybe she will comeback she used to!:)

great news!!! i hope her recovery is going well and she will be fully healthy and come back stronger :luv17:

Kara

Final Flight

Thank you so much for the news! She's been injured since September and she's still not recovered? It must have been a really serious injury and it breaks my heart that such a young girl has to go through that.:( I'm happy she's back on the ice though and I really hope to see her on the JGP next season!

Hollymolly

Medalist
Thank you so much for the news! She's been injured since September and she's still not recovered? It must have been a really serious injury and it breaks my heart that such a young girl has to go through that.:( I'm happy she's back on the ice though and I really hope to see her on the JGP next season!

I don’t know what kind of injury exactly she had( I'm not sure, but I heard it was a toe fracture.), but coaches and parents decided to concentrated on recovering because she is still young. Maybe she will attend upcoming JGP team trial! I really hope she will be recover she used to😂🙂🙏

randomfan

Record Breaker
After today’s SP, I think the Korean ladies’ 2nd spot is in trouble. Before the event, I thought for sure that Dabin would finish in the top 12, which, along with Hanul definitely qualifying for the FS, would be enough to secure that second spot. But Dabin is entering the FS at a very low 21st. Even if she skates a clean FS, Shin Amano and the rest of the tech team may hammer her with URs once again so her placement would still be low. In that case, we’d have to rely on Hanul to be clean (she was close in Pyeongchang), but even that may not be enough for a top 12 finish depending on how the others skate. The Korean ladies need that 2nd spot...:hopelessness:

Kara

Final Flight
Dabin has withdrawn because of her boot has basically broken. I now feel like a huge prick for acting like an armchair coach.:( I wish her luck and hope she doesn't feel too down about it. This worlds has not been kind to team Korea at all..:sad21:

tars

Record Breaker
1 Worlds spot for one of the fastest developing countries in ladies division?
How absurd. :slink:

Shayuki

Record Breaker
So if I understood correctly, now Kim Hanul needs to finish in the top 12?

That's going to be very difficult for her, but certainly possible... It'd be very unfortunate if Korea ended up getting just 1 spot for worlds, what with Eun Soo Lim entering seniors and all.