2017-2018 State of S. Korean Figure Skating | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 State of S. Korean Figure Skating

annemn

Rinkside
Has the KSU announced when & where the Ranking Competition and Nationals will be held?

I'd love to be able to attend one or both if possible, but I can't seem to find any concrete info, either on the KSU website or on the GS forums...

breadstal

Record Breaker
Has the KSU announced when & where the Ranking Competition and Nationals will be held?

I'd love to be able to attend one or both if possible, but I can't seem to find any concrete info, either on the KSU website or on the GS forums...

I haven't seen anything yet.

Finnstep

Final Flight

According to this tweet,

Rankings Competition: December 1st ~ December 3rd
Nationals: January 5th ~ January 7th (2018)

And both of the competitions will be held @ Mokdong Ice Rink. I find it weird that KSU isn't using Gangneung Ice Arena, the Olympic venue, for the competitions.:scratch2:

s_parks

Record Breaker
According to this tweet,

And both of the competitions will be held @ Mokdong Ice Rink. I find it weird that KSU isn't using Gangneung Ice Arena, the Olympic venue, for the competitions.:scratch2:

Well, I'm glad the ranking competition is not on some weird october date like last year, when a lot of skaters were busy with GPs. Still annoyed that they have a ranking competition and nationals, but at least no one will be busy with gpfs(to be honest, lol).
Maybe they're just saving the rink's condition for the olympics? I don't know. Mokdong's horrible though(as is pretty much every rink in korea compared to bigger fs countries'); I feel bad for the skaters who don't have the funds to train overseas.

Daniel1998

Final Flight
Mokdong's horrible though.

Hey- don't diss my neighbourhood rink! :p

And yes, very peculiar that they won't use the Olympic arena.

What was with the scoring for Eunsoo this week? I haven't seen either of the programs, but did her PCS fall from her last competition?

DorYiu

Let’s go crazy
On the Ice
Hey- don't diss my neighbourhood rink! :p

And yes, very peculiar that they won't use the Olympic arena.

What was with the scoring for Eunsoo this week? I haven't seen either of the programs, but did her PCS fall from her last competition?

She didn't manage to skate clean, that brings her PCS down, falls does have a huge impact in the completeness and presentation of the program.

annemn

Rinkside
According to this tweet,

Thanks Finnstep! :) Good to know that the Rankings Comp isn't until December this year.

Yeah, it's strange they're not breaking in the Olympic venue - but perhaps it's because it's such a pain to get to from Seoul? I'm certainly happy I won't have to make my way all the way east to the coast (if I do manage to get tickets)...

russianfan

Match Penalty
i was thinking about it: why korean fed decided to send Eunsoo, their best junior(i believe) to JGP in Poland? Wouldn't it be smarter to send her to the event with Tarakanova(obviously kinda inconsistent skater) and Samodurova(who scores not that high even with a clean skate), where she would have much better chances to place higher(or may be even win the event)? is there something i'm missing?

P.S. similar situation is with Japanese ladies, it doesn't seem smart to send both of their strongest girls to a single event in Italy (of course they both still have chances to qualify, but anyway)

ejnsofi

Final Flight
i was thinking about it: why korean fed decided to send Eunsoo, their best junior(i believe) to JGP in Poland? Wouldn't it be smarter to send her to the event with Tarakanova(obviously kinda inconsistent skater) and Samodurova(who scores not that high even with a clean skate), where she would have much better chances to place higher(or may be even win the event)? is there something i'm missing?

P.S. similar situation is with Japanese ladies, it doesn't seem smart to send both of their strongest girls to a single event in Italy (of course they both still have chances to qualify, but anyway)

TBH it was a tough call. Russia and Japan were changing the skaters few times and the only place Eunsoo was listed as a substitute was Minsk were she would have faced Trusova, Konstantinova, Takino and Araki. KSU makes terrible decision but this time they really couldn't say where the strongest skaters would be assigned (especially taking into the consideration the fact that changing the squad is possible)

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
TBH it was a tough call. Russia and Japan were changing the skaters few times and the only place Eunsoo was listed as a substitute was Minsk were she would have faced Trusova, Konstantinova, Takino and Araki. KSU makes terrible decision but this time they really couldn't say where the strongest skaters would be assigned (especially taking into the consideration the fact that changing the squad is possible)

Exactly. JGP assignments are always a gamble because there is such an open assignment structure and things change so much. They very well could have moved Eunsoo elsewhere only for Russia or Japan to reassign someone to that same event. Especially true in regards to Russia this year where their last few events' assignments were finalized only about a week before each competition.

seabm7

Final Flight

The fans in Korea have been debating about this, too. It seems that the Korean Fed usually accepts what the coaches/athletes suggest on the schedule. This season, there was an Ice show at the beginning of August, which could have delayed training of the athletes. The iceshow was to promote the Olympics. I think the Fed/coaches/athletes probably did not realize what has been going on with the power dynamics during the JGP.