2018-19 Russian Pairs' figure skating | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Pairs' figure skating

NAOTMAA

Medalist
I'm sure the hierarchy will remain the same for another season or two but it feels like things are getting really muddy.

T/M seem more lost then ever. I think the Olympics really demoralized them and they're struggling to get back up. They look even more fragile and lack even more spark then they did before.
Z/E have shown improvement this season but they look like the classic supporting team (the team that places high but finishes behind the #1s). They really don't stand out enough to challenge for the top spot when everybody is close to clean.
B/K are the only ones that seem to show any spark and clear upward movement but they're still very young and have a lot of maturing and growing to do. It would be best if they were allowed to develop and improve at their own pace.
And then there are a bunch of other younger teams that definitely show promise but still need much work before they can really be contenders

It's going to be really interesting to see what happens at worlds. It will be even more muddy if its anything similar to what happened at Euros

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I'm sure the hierarchy will remain the same for another season or two but it feels like things are getting really muddy.

T/M seem more lost then ever. I think the Olympics really demoralized them and they're struggling to get back up. They look even more fragile and lack even more spark then they did before.
Z/E have shown improvement this season but they look like the classic supporting team (the team that places high but finishes behind the #1s). They really don't stand out enough to challenge for the top spot when everybody is close to clean.
B/K are the only ones that seem to show any spark and clear upward movement but they're still very young and have a lot of maturing and growing to do. It would be best if they were allowed to develop and improve at their own pace.
And then there are a bunch of other younger teams that definitely show promise but still need much work before they can really be contenders

It's going to be really interesting to see what happens at worlds. It will be even more muddy if its anything similar to what happened at Euros

I agree or can see this. And because of the state of Russian pairs this allows an interesting team but a team that would normally be duking it out for bronze now a gold medal favorite in the French. There is no magic solution but T and M need to develop one very good hard trick to add to their arsenal and get two distinctive powerful programs that lets them shine. They need some good packaging too.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
^^^^
T/M have suffered from poor packaging and odd programs that don't fit them from the start. Everyone around them seems clueless. They seem determined to rail against being a "classical Russian pair" even though their basic skating skills and movements screams it. They should do what B/K are doing and embrace the old Russian style and tradition. It may not be the most innovative or modern by today standards but the pure beauty and power of their skating would easily overcome that. That's what the Rachmaninov SP does and its easily one of their, if not the, best program they have done.

LadyB

Record Breaker
I feel truly sorry for T/M and I know they need something, I just don't know what. It also highlights the gap that S/K left behind, nobody performed like them!
I'm bit worried by the fact that neither Mozer or Trankov can seemingly figure out what to change....

Overall, I've got a positive feeling for the future. B/K and P/K were just fantastic, they are definitely on their way. Not to mention the youngsters still at the Junior comps. Even if the one and the other will split (as they do), they is enough to choose from to form future exciting Russian pairs.

starla16

Medalist
T/M are the new Shishkova / Naumov. On borrowed time and positioning themselves are mere fillers until the juniors fully develop

next year Mishina/ Galliamov will be seniors which will be the biggest threats. The change of the guards will happen soon anyways
I dont think T/M will be the top russian pair by 2022,

It will be Mishina / Galliamov then maybe Boikova / Kozlovskii, Pavyluchenko / Khodykin are still too junior looking
the rest of the juniors with poor height difference dont have much senior prospect

starla16

Medalist
Might be possible all russian pairs in 2022 have not competed in a former olympic cycle
and will surpass the fillers Tarasova / Morozov and Zabiiako / Enbert

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Unless T/M retire mid-cycle, I don't see them going away from the top. Evgenia needs to get her jumps back, because their programs now are good enough to win Worlds. And they have qualities which all the juniors teams just don't have now, and won't have for a couple of seasons. I'm also the first to have written off Z/E, but they still have something to offer. In the end, Russia really is lucky to have so many good juniors/young seniors coming up.

bobbob

Medalist
I don't understand how people are saying Tarasova and Morosov are done for. They skated two clean programs at Nationals and overall, did okay at Europeans, with the only mistake being a downgraded triple toe from Evgenia in both programs. IMO, they do not look any worse than they did last year. The consistency is not there, but it was never there. They are still the top Russian pair and if they get more consistent will contend for the top World pair, a title I think James and Cipres cannot achieve due to their fundamental skating skill limitation. If they had skated clean free, they would have won here, despite a major mistake in the short. That shows to me that they are still a favored team over James and Cipres, rightfully so, if both teams get their elements down.

B/K may surpass them, but I don't think that will happen in the immediate future. And it certainly isn't because T/M are declining in any way.

rachno2

Record Breaker
T/M still have huge pair elements that the younger teams don't have. I think Z/E might surpass them, though, albeit briefly, especially if they keep pushing this dark/edgy packaging—it’s a weird direction, but it is a direction, whereas T/M are struggling to find a distinctive voice. In any case, these two are technically still well above the others, even if they aren't the most exciting teams.

And why are we so sure M/G will be the new #1 team? I love them, but don't count out B/K, P/K or any of the other juniors (K/I, for instance). There's no telling how they might all develop as seniors.

B/K are amazing, and I hope they rise quickly to challenge S/H. Pairs is just so boring currently otherwise. (don't @ me with p/j, y/z or r/k, they're nice, but there's a big gap that might never be closed.)

(IDC about T/M or Z/E, and J/C were unimpressive for all their hype)

starla16

Medalist
And why are we so sure M/G will be the new #1 team? I love them, but don't count out B/K, P/K or any of the other juniors (K/I, for instance). There's no telling how they might all develop as seniors.

Because M/G have the same big pair elements as T/M, they are mature ready and with better jumps even compared to T/M in their junior years.
B/K might also become #2 in the future since they will improve under Moskvina. One of these juniors might be russian #1 by 2022 and 3rd place a battole betwwen T/M and Z/E. P/K Im not that impressed they reminded me of Lyubov and Maisuradze pairing and that didn't end well...

starla16

Medalist
No, they do not. They have better jumps and perhaps throws, but the twist and lifts, which are big point makers, are still far away from the level T/M are.

only the twist is inferior, is it a coaching technique thing ? they are coached also by Velikova who before coached Stolbova/Klemov.
I do not agree in far away, they only lack more senior experience, already they are more expressive than T/M.

Galliamov is expressive male pair skater even more so than his partner Mishina which is rare.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Are some of the people here serious? There's no doubt about the potential of some of these young teams but they can't touch T/M's carriage or SS right now. I'm opposite of a fan of T/M but let's stop making stuff up, lol. Also, the future is guaranteed for no one.

Are some of the people here serious? There's no doubt about the potential of some of these young teams but they can't touch T/M's carriage or SS right now.
They can far exceed their connection, personality, and musicality, though. I did say "I hope". Carriage and SS can develop. T/M seem like a personality void for a few seasons at this point.

s_parks

Record Breaker
They can far exceed their connection, personality, and musicality, though. I did say "I hope". Carriage and SS can develop. T/M seem like a personality void for a few seasons at this point.

Oh I'm well aware of their weaknesses. Problem is some are acting like the young pairs are simply better already period.

Vlad Karigov

On the Ice
Good Konstantinova, he made a good FS with a score higher than the European average; That should be enough to keep him as the first substitute for the World Cup.