2018-19 Russian Pairs' figure skating | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Pairs' figure skating

gmyers

Record Breaker
Well they didn’t medal at Olympics again like 2010. The plan after that was creation of super team volososhar trankov! But I don’t think creation of new team is necessary. It’s fixing tarasova morozov.

But also isn’t it not true that Russia has two pairings with Olympic silver medals? Everything is fine. It’s

Naya

On the Ice
Unfortunately I couldn't watch the competition. I suppose it was hard for T/M to skate last with all the great performances from the other pairs. I can't deal with the fact that Mozer couldn't give them a decent free program and apparently didn't care with all the criticism it received from the start. Volosozhar/Trankov had good programs, and Stolbova/Klimov had very creative choreography, so decent programs shouldn't be a problem for T/M.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I think the biggest problem is the disconnect between Mozer and Eteri. They have to pair up. And Mozer should come and ask (beg) Eteri to help.

This is beyond my understanding that top Russian lady pair skaters cannot consistently jump basic triples. With dozens and dozens of little girls doing it. They should not make a pair early on especially with girls. Yes, for boys it is different - size and upper body power matter. But for girls?

If a pair manages to do SBS jumps 3Lz, 3Lz, 3F-3T-2T that's 25-27 points in TES SP and FP combined. T/M got 15 now, Z/E 14.5, A/R 6.8! Even 3F, 3F, 3S-3T-2T would make big difference.

madison

Record Breaker
I think the biggest problem is the disconnect between Mozer and Eteri. They have to pair up. And Mozer should come and ask (beg) Eteri to help.

This is beyond my understanding that top Russian lady pair skaters cannot consistently jump basic triples. With dozens and dozens of little girls doing it. They should not make a pair early on especially with girls. Yes, for boys it is different - size and upper body power matter. But for girls?

If a pair manages to do SBS jumps 3Lz, 3Lz, 3F-3T-2T that's 25-27 points in TES SP and FP combined. T/M got 15 now, Z/E 14.5, A/R 6.8! Even 3F, 3F, 3S-3T-2T would make big difference.
Because when they start to learn and to do pair skating elements, they lose the single jumps, even though they had it before.

lavoix

Match Penalty
They've chocked all this season (see GPF, Euros SP, and now the FS at the Olympics). Not quite sure why.

Wasn't meant to be at this edition, I was very sad when Evghenia started to cry, I hope she will be fine in a few days, she has a silver from her first Olympics and she has many more years ahead in her career to showcase some amazing skating.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Because when they start to learn and to do pair skating elements, they lose the single jumps, even though they had it before.

Marchei switched to pairs in her late 20s and does not seem to lose the jumps - not that she was especially good jumper at singles. Why should the girls lose them? Forget about lutz and flip. The trick is to do consistent salchov and toe loop and 3S-3T-2T. I still think that the problem is early speciaization and much stronger appeal of singles to moms and kids.

Zora

On the Ice
Marchei switched to pairs in her late 20s and does not seem to lose the jumps - not that she was especially good jumper at singles. Why should the girls lose them? Forget about lutz and flip. The trick is to do consistent salchov and toe loop and 3S-3T-2T. I still think that the problem is early speciaization and much stronger appeal of singles to moms and kids.
But I think the difference is that Valentina was always a physically strong skater. Most Russian female skaters don't look like they have the upper body strength to be a good pair skater. They would need to add a lot of muscles mass and that could possibly throw off their jumping technique? After all, Evgenia Medvedeva says 200-300 g can already make a difference.

LRK

Record Breaker
Tarasova/Morozov are quite young in pair terms - the discipline in which there are more skaters over the age of 30 than in any other - so I'm certainly not ready to write their career obituary just yet.

I agree that they need better material, though - if not to win, then at least to bring out the best in them, and make them a pleasure to watch. Good programs to go along with their skating skills and strong elements. They've had a few good short programs, so I don't see why it should be so hard for their team to give them good material in the free. It doesn't have to be An Arteestic Masterpiece - but just something... well... nice.

whatif

Medalist
I see no emergencies here. Russians are in better shape than any other country IMO. You have T/M, S/K, and a slew of talented juniors as well as lots of promising single skaters to pick and choose from.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Russia has a bunch of juniors with 3-3s already, or different triples than toeloop and salchow. They'll push forward the envelope in the next years, that much is clear. Unfortunately, pairs like A/R and Z/E might get lost in the crowd.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
If Daria and Denis updgrade their 3T+3T+SEQ to just a 3T-3T they'll do quite well. Then their three-jump can be 3T-3T-2T
I think that hopefully Daria and Denis can get a 3Lo or 3F.... in addition to their combo

Manitou

Medalist
Are there any point deductions for wardrobe malfunction? Sorry, for being negative, I really like Evgenia Tarasova, but can she make sure her costume doesn’t give her embarrassing situations? And this has been going for this entire season in FS. Does she even realize that?

lavoix

Match Penalty
What's the rumours about Stolbova/Klimov leaving Mozer?! Why would they?

Mozer is still the best current pairs coach in Russia right now.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
What's the rumours about Stolbova/Klimov leaving Mozer?! Why would they?

Mozer is still the best current pairs coach in Russia right now.

I haven't heard this either! Although apparently Mozer did say something that made people think Ksenia/Feodor were going to retire and it ended up online so S/K had to comment saying they weren't and they seemed quite displeased about the idea.

I suppose it kinda looks bad if your coach suggests you're retiring when you're not! Might lead to problems in the coach/skater relationship.

On the other hand the media being what it is it was probably wasn't like that at all - admittedly I haven't read the actual comment from Mozer.

whatif

Medalist
Well Mozer is officially retiring OR more like being asked to....So they have to be coached by someone.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
You know who I think would be good at pairs? Sofia Samodurova and Anastasia Gulyakova. Both talented skaters with pretty reliable jumps who have very bleak futures for singles (unless Samodurova switches to skating for Israel)

starla16

Medalist
You know who I think would be good at pairs? Sofia Samodurova and Anastasia Gulyakova. Both talented skaters with pretty reliable jumps who have very bleak futures for singles (unless Samodurova switches to skating for Israel)

Samodurova is not a jewish but caucasian name, she is probably Ossetian roots - a christian minority in caucasus
its region part of Russian Federation.

Grin

Medalist
S/K will skip WC 2018 because of the injury
https://iz.ru/713228/2018-02-25/stolbova-i-klimov-propustiat-chempionat-mira-v-milane-iz-za-travmy

https://instagram.com/p/Bfnd1JtHvKu/?utm_source=ig_embed

Life is so unfair :(

stolbova_ksenia:
With my big regret I have to announce that the season is over and I will not be able to participate at the World Championship. in Milan. But boundaries and obstacles are just temporary. I still have so much more to give and I never had a lack of motivation. I will be back on my feet soon and ready to reach new goals in my skating career.
Looking forward for it !!!