2018-19 Russian Pairs' figure skating | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Pairs' figure skating

hanca

Record Breaker
Good news are bad news because it's false news. I really wish to this girl more tall, mature and suitable partner. But seems like they are still skating. And bad as always. But... How about Amina and Mirzoev? Looks like they are on good terms. And both are very talented skaters. Will be very interesting to see them together, with Mirzoev, such a tiny girl like Amina will fly.

I don't believe that rumour. I don't think he has particularly pleasant personality, based on what was said about his split from Mishina, and add to it his health problems... I hope for Amina's sake that he is not her new partner. I may be mistaken, but I wouldn't be surprised if Amina got paired with some pair beginner, simply because there are no available top pair male skaters (except of Mirzoev). This way Osipova got paired with Tarasenko and it looks quite promising, after just a few months. (Not as promising as getting JGP event now, but towards the end of this season no one will notice that he has been doing pairs less than a season).

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
I don't believe that rumour. I don't think he has particularly pleasant personality, based on what was said about his split from Mishina, and add to it his health problems... I hope for Amina's sake that he is not her new partner. I may be mistaken, but I wouldn't be surprised if Amina got paired with some pair beginner, simply because there are no available top pair male skaters (except of Mirzoev). This way Osipova got paired with Tarasenko and it looks quite promising, after just a few months. (Not as promising as getting JGP event now, but towards the end of this season no one will notice that he has been doing pairs less than a season).

Well, I agree with you about that. Amina deserves better. And hey, about M/M I was the first and the only one who said that Mirzoev hates Mishina, and they will split up. But nobody believed me. :disapp:

Grin

Medalist
RIGA - Pairs Short PGM -ISU - JGP 2017
1st Aleksandra BOIKOVA / Dmitrii KOZLOVSKII 56.12
2nd Apollinariia PANFILOVA / Dmitry RYLOV 55.99

Grin

Medalist
Riga - Pairs - ISU - JGP 2017 results
1st Apollinariia PANFILOVA / Dmitry RYLOV 157.51
2nd Aleksandra BOIKOVA / Dmitrii KOZLOVSKII 153.93

hanca

Record Breaker
In the past, I've complained about Zabijako/Enbert being almost painfully bland and boring, but I'm actually liking their new FP. It suits them! (I also appreciate the "whut?" moment when she opens her boob flaps as he unfolds his armpit flap :laugh:)

Well deserved win in Lombardia!
I thought the costume thing was ridiculous. I didn't even notice that he had something hanging there too, but from the aesthetic point of view, I don't think those bits enhanced her or his costume in any way. In my view, quite the opposite.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Zabiyako still is barely skating. They added a bit speed, maybe throws became more secure, but that's all. Their spins and syn spins are painful to watch. I doubt they will someday score at least 135 points for the free program. They even never got 130 points. At inflated Mordovia tournament they scored only 128 points.

Tarasova/Morozov's programs are really a joke. After two amazing SP in the last two seasons their current SP looks very bad. They never had a good free program, but this one... Plus they never skated FP clean.

Status of Stolbova/Klimov is unknown but I doubt they fixed twist and lifts, also in the last season Stolbova began to fall from her crown element - throw.

So no Olympic hopes here.

Oh, and about juniors. It happened again. The Russian pairs curse continues. The new strong pair appeared again: Evelyn WALSH / Trennt MICHAUD. I won't be surprise if they will win JWC 2018 (or it could be Aussies again).

gmyers

Record Breaker
It must be a fact and it must be the truth that to encourage v/t to come back t/m were given the worst programs in pairs skating history!! It must be so. Mozer can't be serious?!

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Can Z/E's robotic skating make the world top 10? T/M's LP is really a nightmare. Simply horrible! Currently the only coaching team is going to determine the fate of Russian senior pairs. How absurd it is!

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Oh, and about juniors. It happened again. The Russian pairs curse continues. The new strong pair appeared again: Evelyn WALSH / Trennt MICHAUD. I won't be surprise if they will win JWC 2018 (or it could be Aussies again).

New strongest pair? Are they that new considering they're moving up to seniors in the next season? They barely won the FP over the russians - and consider that Apollinariia has no triples. Also, you should probably go look up Mishina and her new partner, that's really a new and strong pair. And not saying that the Aussies didn't deserve their win last year, but they really went against the second best after all, if Mirzoev didn't freak out at last minute he and Mishina would have won JWC like it was nothing - not to talk about Duskova and Bidar moving up to seniors mid-season.

And about the seniors it's like the same story from last year. If they deliver the goods, no reason for them not to get on the podium, and if they don't deliver, they shouldn't be there. But dismissing these teams this soon in the season is just silly.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
New strongest pair? Are they that new considering they're moving up to seniors in the next season? They barely won the FP over the russians - and consider that Apollinariia has no triples. Also, you should probably go look up Mishina and her new partner, that's really a new and strong pair. And not saying that the Aussies didn't deserve their win last year, but they really went against the second best after all, if Mirzoev didn't freak out at last minute he and Mishina would have won JWC like it was nothing - not to talk about Duskova and Bidar moving up to seniors mid-season.

If we're talking about pairs, especially about junior pairs, by "strong" I mean the best of the worst. Every year Russia has many pairs at JGPF. But what's in the end? Nothing. Yep, Mishina/Mirzoev were an exception. Now I don't see any Russian junior pair which in the future could become the top senior pair. I have not yet seen Mishina and her new partner, but this is very doubtful.

And about the seniors it's like the same story from last year. If they deliver the goods, no reason for them not to get on the podium, and if they don't deliver, they shouldn't be there. But dismissing these teams this soon in the season is just silly.

I'm judging looking at previous season. As I said: Z/E - it's not the top level, it's an average pair. Same with Astakhova/Rogonov. T/M never skated clean their FP + considering their current free program = no hopes. S/K - also doubtful. It will be fight for the bronze medal between Canadians and Russians. But gold or silver? I don't think so.

hanca

Record Breaker
If we're talking about pairs, especially about junior pairs, by "strong" I mean the best of the worst. Every year Russia has many pairs at JGPF. But what's in the end? Nothing. Yep, Mishina/Mirzoev were an exception. Now I don't see any Russian junior pair which in the future could become the top senior pair. I have not yet seen Mishina and her new partner, but this is very doubtful.

I think you are taking junior pairs too seriously. It is ridiculous to make a big deal from the fact that in the last few years someone managed to beat Russian pairs at junior worlds or JGPF, because the bottom line is, the junior medals don't mean much for their senior careers. Sure, it is nice for the pairs to be appreciated by winning a medal, but lots of pairs who medalled at junior worlds or JGPF did not get anywhere when they got into seniors. I love watching junior pairs because I enjoy to see what such young pairs can achieve in a relatively short time, but if someone didn't have a great day and did not win the biggest junior competition, no big deal. Besides, what the junior medals prove? Getting medals did not help Deputat to be successful in seniors, it also did not help Davankova, Vygalova, Zakroev, Fedorova, Miroshkin, Bich, Gainedtinova.... I suggest you look at junior pairs as a time for collecting experience. The pairs may not last till seniors, but the skaters are learning and progressing. There have been a huge increase in number of junior pairs and the quality of their skating, so in a few years there should be more decent seniors. Like with Russian ladies, it took a few years from the time when Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva first appeared on the junior level, to the time when there is a few decent skaters on senior level and a more and more ladies in junior level fighting it between themself, pushing the difficulty higher and higher. We may have to wait five or six years, but I am pretty certain that some of the pairs that are now in juniors will progress into seniors and they will be really strong. Even if they have to swap partners several times. Look at Mishina - a new partner, but I believe that at the end of this season they will be at the same level as she was with Mirzoev. So all she lost was maximum one season (maybe not event that. If they do well, they may get to junior worlds.)

By the way, it is not only Russian junior pairs who split up. The Ukrainian pair that was successful two seasons ago is also gone. There is plenty of other pairs from various nationalities that split up, but as Russia has so many junior pairs, their split ups would obviously be more visible.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Last season is last season. I guess we don't need to hold competitions since someone has already divined the results for us. :laugh2: What is the use of focusing on the negative all of the time? Is that the only purpose for threads like this? And yes, it's very rare for junior pairs to make it to seniors and be successful with the same partner, but that is true for every country. So what? The point is to eventually find the right one. V/T did not start out skating together in juniors, nor did Aliona with either of her most successful partnerships, nor D/R, K/S, etc.

nimi

Medalist
What is the use of focusing on the negative all of the time? Is that the only purpose for threads like this?
I've wondered about that, myself (like, when I bumped this thread by posting a compliment about Z/E in an attempt to lighten things up a bit around here... which didn't seem to go down so well...)

If that really is the case, may I suggest modifying the thread title to better reflect the nature of the content? Maybe something like "Russian Pairs: Doom and Gloom" or "The State of Russian Pairs: Where Darkness and Despair Reign Supreme"?

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Last season is last season. I guess we don't need to hold competitions since someone has already divined the results for us. :laugh2: What is the use of focusing on the negative all of the time? Is that the only purpose for threads like this? And yes, it's very rare for junior pairs to make it to seniors and be successful with the same partner, but that is true for every country. So what? The point is to eventually find the right one. V/T did not start out skating together in juniors, nor did Aliona with either of her most successful partnerships, nor D/R, K/S, etc.

This is a good point. The only one of Canada's top pairs teams that competed in junior together was Seguin/Bilodeau, all the others teamed up as seniors. In China, Sui/Han competed together as juniors, but the other two pairs were just switched last season, which produced great results. Having been together for a long time seems to be much more important in dance than in pairs. Dylan Moscovitch even missed years of international competition while he was paired with his much younger sister and then he had a lot of success when he and Kirsten Moore-Towers paired up at the senior level.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I just hope S/K will make their Carmen program more avangarde, something similiar with what V/M did. Their FP concept last year was a masterpiece.

nimi

Medalist
I just hope S/K will make their Carmen program more avangarde, something similiar with what V/M did. Their FP concept last year was a masterpiece.
*nodding furiously in agreement*

I was privileged enough to witness that FP live in Helsinki... One of the absolute highlights of those Worlds!

Now counting days to Finlandia Trophy... La Stolbova is one of the few (well, the only) current skater I actually want to see as Carmen. I'd even take a traditional Carmen, but hoping for an edgier interpretation.

pearly

Record Breaker
Tarasova/Morozov's programs are really a joke. After two amazing SP in the last two seasons their current SP looks very bad. They never had a good free program, but this one... Plus they never skated FP clean.

Is this year's FP technically worse/inferior to their last year's? Last year's was a joke to me as well so I never paid it too much attention. I was too shocked by their music and costumes and did not watch it closely after the first time I saw it.

This all makes no sense to me at all as they are actually technically good and good programs would get them far.