Hughes leaving college, joining SOI | Golden Skate

Hughes leaving college, joining SOI

R.D.

Record Breaker
OK Sarah fans:

according to someone on another forum, in the latest issue of SI Sarah says she will join SOI and then maybe think about the upcoming Winter olympics.

nysk8r

Rinkside
Um, she does realize that by joining SOI, she turns pro and thereby becomes ineligible for the Olympics right?
Can someone with the latest copy of SI confirm this?

bronxgirl

Medalist
I hope this rumor isn't true. She would have denied a spot at Yale to someone who might have stayed and gotten a degree, Dropping out now makes her seem like a "diletantte". She' d have to put in some very hard work to get back into skating shape. Bad move if it's not a rumor (JMO)

soogar

Record Breaker
Sarah could still be eligible and skate SOI. She just needs to get a waiver from the USFSA like Todd. BTW, the Russian skaters have no such eligibility problems with SOI like the US. Alexei was still eligible when he joined SOI and was able to compete for Russia (and still rec'd funds as well) until injury forced him to retire.

I don't think Sarah making 6 figures or so skating for SOI makes her a dilettante.

Fossi

Final Flight
Here she is folks: Your 2006 Olympic Champion: SARAH HUGHES! :love:

Insult her all you want,
But you can never count her out
She gave it all she got
at the Olympics When it COUNTS!

To all you doubters: :p

I am keeping my fingers crossed that this is true!

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Why not do whatever she wants? She is young, talented, beautiful, smart and has worked very hard......ENJOY your life Sarah!

If she returns to competition, who will be her coach? It would be very difficult to duplicate the relationship she had with RW. Would/could RW coach both Sarah and Sasha :D ?

Last edited:

Pau-goodle76

Rinkside
That's right, RealtorGal! I have taken off a semester here and there and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Sarah can do whatever she wants to do, it's her life and it's not our place to even judge that.

guinevere

Final Flight
I took a 3 year break after 2 years of college, went back to the same school to graduate. I'm not sure what Yale's readmission policy is like, but they've had so many celebrities attend that I'm sure they are accustomed to students taking a hiatus. (I'm thinking specifically of fim actors who take time off to shoot movies).

I would welcome seeing Sarah skate again, but I am highly doubtful that she will be in top form by 2006.

ladybug

On the Ice
Okay, one year with SOI to get a better hold on presentation. That only gives her a short time to prepare 2 programs that are COP friendly. A short and a long, get all her jumps back including 3/3's.

This is a tall order, even for Sarah. I do wish her the best with whatever she decides on doing.

Ladybug

Sombre Dimanche

Spectator
Piel said:
Why not do whatever she wants? She is young, talented, beautiful, smart and has worked very hard......ENJOY your life Sarah!

If she returns to competition, who will be her coach? It would be very difficult to duplicate the relationship she had with RW. Would/could RW coach both Sarah and Sasha :D ?
I'm kind of thinking Sasha wouldn't stand for sharing Robin :p

euterpe

Medalist
soogar said:
Sarah could still be eligible and skate SOI. She just needs to get a waiver from the USFSA like Todd. BTW, the Russian skaters have no such eligibility problems with SOI like the US. Alexei was still eligible when he joined SOI and was able to compete for Russia (and still rec'd funds as well) until injury forced him to retire.

I don't think Sarah making 6 figures or so skating for SOI makes her a dilettante.

The USFSA did NOT give Todd a waiver. He THOUGHT they had, but when he signed with SOI, the USFSA told him he was ineligible. So if Sarah signs with SOI, she cannot skate in the 2006 Olympics.

Every skating federation has its own policy with regard to eligibility. Russia and Canada allow skaters to sign with SOI and still keep eligibility, but the USFSA does not.

Whatever happened with Sarah's plans for medical school?

fanforlady2001

Rinkside
Sarah will make a nice addition to SOI, hopefully she won't do a program like Fossi,(nothing against you fossi) it was my least favorite of hers. I loved her serenade fur clara program. I cannot see her coming back to amateur skating but if so good for her and if the us allows her.

So she is leaving school (for a year?) and skating in a show. Skating in a show will force her to lose some of that noticeable excessive weight we've seen; it will also force her to get some solid skating in front of an audience; She'll have plenty of time to practice with the aid of some super stars in the show.

SARA WILL DEFEND HER OLYMPICS TITLE???

Just my putting two and two together :)

Joe

Last edited:

dr.frog

On the Ice
euterpe said:
The USFSA did NOT give Todd a waiver. He THOUGHT they had, but when he signed with SOI, the USFSA told him he was ineligible.

Sigh, here we go again....

The USFSA's dispute with Todd was over his continued participation in cheesefests, not over skating in SOI. If he became ineligible the moment he set foot on the ice with SOI after the OOOOOs in the spring of 2002, why was the USFSA still telling him later that fall that he had to enter Nationals if he expected to get invitations to their all-eligible cheesefests? And why was he still eligible to be nominated for office at 2003 Governing Council? In fact Todd didn't lose his eligibility until he competed in a pro competition in the fall of 2003.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
...according to someone on another forum, in the latest issue of SI Sarah says she will join SOI and then maybe think about the upcoming Winter olympics.

I think the operative word here is "THINK". :laugh:

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
So she is leaving school (for a year?) and skating in a show. Skating in a show will force her to lose some of that noticeable excessive weight we've seen; it will also force her to get some solid skating in front of an audience; She'll have plenty of time to practice with the aid of some super stars in the show.

:laugh: I have to applaud your optimism on this one! IIRC, skating pro didn't motivate Oksana or Nicole one bit, just to name a few. I'm with RealtorGal on this one, I've been "thinking" about the Torino Olys a lot too. :laugh: