Hughes leaving college, joining SOI | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Hughes leaving college, joining SOI

Sylvia

Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:
How good is Emily Hughes?

Emily has moved up to senior this season and won a club competition, Cranberry Open, this past weekend. She's scheduled to compete next at the Mid-Atlantics club comp. in NYC, Sept. 9-10: http://www.thescny.org/

We'll just have to wait and see if she can qualify for 2005 Nationals through North Atlantic Regionals and then Eastern Sectionals. She finished 11th in junior in her two previous appearances at Nationals (2002 & 2003).

Vash01

Medalist
IMO Sarah has a good chance of making the US Olympic team in 2006, if she can hold off the young guns like Kimmie and Katie and my fave Beatrisa Liang. Michelle and Sasha are almost a certainty, unless one of them completely blows it or has a serious injury. It will be exciting to see Sarah in the mix if she really decides to skate competitively, that is if she is able to retain her eligibility.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
heyang said:
There is no official word on the official SOI site. I'm wondering if some hopeful fans didn't read too much into responses to hypothetical questions.

Personally, I don't think Sarah's participation in SOI would raise revenues that much. It'll be just about 3 years since her OGM and the mass public has a short memory. It's not as though having the 2 controversial OGM'ists in pairs have really improved ticket sales. It was the guest spots by the old timers that really raised the ticket sales this past season. Also, Sarah has dropped out of the limelight by going to Yale for a year and having a 'poor' post Oly season. She wasn't exactly a household name.

The old timers (Kristi, Paul, Kurt, Scott, etc) were fortunate to gain Oly glory and still be on tour during the height of figure skating's popularity. Sarah's win came during the downturn in figure skating interest.

The above are the reasons why I'd be surprised if SOI was interested in signing her.
There isn't anything in the SOI official site but the flyers for some venues are already out and her name is there along with Alexei Yagudin, Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze, Sale/Pelletier, Todd Eldredge and Ina/Zimmerman.

The words "Olympic Champion" always rings some bells with the public LOL Especially when we're talking about American ladies. The hardcore skating fans may not pay much attention to Sarah Hughes, but those who saw the Olympics saw a young skater having the performance of her life in the most important competition of them all and winning.

She may not be Kristi Yamaguchi (nobody is anyway) but saying that the public doesn't know who an American ice cinderella is... she was making commentary just now for the summer Olympics. I think that with a decent promotion there won't be many people who don't remember who Sarah Hughes is LOL She was one of the mai nstories in SLC.

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
RIskatingfan said:
There isn't anything in the SOI official site but the flyers for some venues are already out and her name is there along with Alexei Yagudin, Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze, Sale/Pelletier, Todd Eldredge and Ina/Zimmerman.

The words "Olympic Champion" always rings some bells with the public LOL Especially when we're talking about American ladies. The hardcore skating fans may not pay much attention to Sarah Hughes, but those who saw the Olympics saw a young skater having the performance of her life in the most important competition of them all and winning.

She may not be Kristi Yamaguchi (nobody is anyway) but saying that the public doesn't know who an American ice cinderella is... she was making commentary just now for the summer Olympics. I think that with a decent promotion there won't be many people who don't remember who Sarah Hughes is LOL She was one of the mai nstories in SLC.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/ny-spohughes293946752aug29,0,3959677.story

Well this is from her mouth - she's definitely signed on for SOI for one year after "pestering" from SOI (which I will take to mean Scott Hamilton).

She does mention Turino, but I have to think that's just for media purposes. I doubt the media realizes that the USFSA doesn't sanction SOI. I hope she does. Is it possible that she got special permission? Doubtful since many others have tried and failed. Plus the state of women's skating in the USA is deep enough to not NEED her back. (It'd be different if she was part of an Olympic gold medal pairs or dance team. I'd imagine the USFSA would sanction SOI in that case since we lack the depth in those disicplines that other countries have.)

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Sylvia - Is this open to the public?

Yes, all club competitions are open to the public. The rink is SkyRink at Chelsea Piers and the club usually charges an admission fee at the door (I think it's $10/day). While there are a few skaters registered that have been to previous Nationals at the novice/junior/senior levels, the most competitive skating is likely to be at the intermediate-novice levels at this competition. Scott/Dulebohn and Orscher/Lucash are registered to skate (to get CoP feedback on their programs), and Rohene Ward may be skating an exhibition on Saturday and/or Sunday.

NorthernLite

On the Ice
Re: the Newsday article - I was wondering if she'd tried to skate during her time in Greece. (No ice, even in the drinks. :D) She mentions working at a couple of different rinks out East, and with "a trainer." I wonder if that really meant a trainer or a coach. And did it sound like perhaps she's not doing all the tour dates?

Re: sanctioned events - as I mentioned, Sandra L. has explained this elsewhere. Todd's situation was nothing like Sarah's. (Had to do with a contract for cheesefests, etc.)
Per Sandra, all an athlete has to do is fill out paperwork re: their appearance in an unsanctioned show. If the USFSA goes out of its way to deny that to their own reigning Olympic champion, I'd be quite disappointed in them. I'd hope that perhaps she'd already spoken to the USFSA about this.

Sarah has what we call "good problems." She has so many options, at such a young age. She's still trying to figure out how to do it. As a longtime fan, *I* hope she gets back into skating well, and I'm excited to see what SOI does with her.

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
My understanding is that the USFSA has an arrangement with the COI tour that would make them in violation of their contract with Collins by allowing a "sanctioned" skater to do SOI. So I think it's a lot more involved than just a piece of paper.

NorthernLite

On the Ice
I've heard about the COI connection - Collins gives a bunch of dough to the USFSA. But I find it a bit unsettling that one promoter could have an NGB in his pocket. Seems like a violation of a monopoly/free trade? law? :) But I'll let Mr. Hughes sort it out - he's the bigtime corporate attorney.

Thanks Sylvia - I'll check it out. I can get to Sky Rink in about 20 minutes by local transport. I'll find out when Orscher and Lucash; Scott and Duelebohn are skating and be sure to get a ticket for that. I'll try those senior events, maybe Emily will be skating, and must see Rohene. very talented guy and a winner if he can just stand up.

Joe

euterpe

Medalist
I don't think Sarah would be competitive with the current crop of US skaters. She has grown taller and filled out and does not have anything like the body she had when she won the OGM. In the 2002-2003 season, she was just beginning to mature, and she was having a heck of a hard time with her jumps. I just can't see Sarah returning to competitive skating under CoP, which would be merciless on her egregious flutz and underrotated jumps.

I am convinced Sarah is really focusing on a career in broadcasting. TV is the one area where a college degree doesn't mean nearly as much as having a recognizable name and, of course, connections.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
NorthernLite said:
And did it sound like perhaps she's not doing all the tour dates?
SOI is not set up to allow members of the core cast to skip shows. There are many group numbers and those could not possibly work if one skater missed a show. Guest stars are the ones who don't do the whole tour and therefore, don't participate in the group numbers. If it happens like last year, each date has two guest stars and they will have one or two solo spots. Sarah, though, is not a guest star, she's one of the headliners or so it is being advertised. And so, she will have to do all dates for sure.

R.D.

Record Breaker
She does mention Turino, but I have to think that's just for media purposes. I doubt the media realizes that the USFSA doesn't sanction SOI. I hope she does. Is it possible that she got special permission? Doubtful since many others have tried and failed. Plus the state of women's skating in the USA is deep enough to not NEED her back. (It'd be different if she was part of an Olympic gold medal pairs or dance team. I'd imagine the USFSA would sanction SOI in that case since we lack the depth in those disicplines that other countries have.)

Perhaps, but what strikes me is her use of the word COMPETE...she said she wanted to think about COMPETING in the 2006 olympics and is only using SOI as a vehicle of deciding whether she wants to ultimately go for it. I don't know about the eligibility issue; maybe she has a plan or agreement to get around that issue. Then again, maybe she doesn't know, in which case someone needs to notify her.

About the ice issue- As far as I understand it's not a European thing to put ice in drinks...I've been there a few times and all the restaurants I went to didn't put ice in our drinks (and I actually prefer that). Of course, here in the US (I don't know about other parts of the world) we are spoiled by the custom of ice cold drinks :) :eek:

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
About the ice issue- As far as I understand it's not a European thing to put ice in drinks...I've been there a few times and all the restaurants I went to didn't put ice in our drinks (and I actually prefer that). Of course, here in the US (I don't know about other parts of the world) we are spoiled by the custom of ice cold drinks :) :eek:
Hmm, I don't know what places you visited in Europe but I can't live without ice in my drinks over the summer LOL So I doubt you can call it an European thing! :laugh:

R.D.

Record Breaker
RIskatingfan said:
Hmm, I don't know what places you visited in Europe but I can't live without ice in my drinks over the summer LOL So I doubt you can call it an European thing! :laugh:

Well I guess it depends on where you are then :laugh:

I remember restaurants in London, Paris, and Munich in particular that didn't serve us ice drinks.

here's a question though: you mention that you in particular like ice drinks. So, do you have to ASK the waiter to put ice in your drink when you eat out? Or do they just give it to you? Just curious.

sk8pics

Rinkside
Joesitz said:
Thanks Sylvia - I'll check it out. I can get to Sky Rink in about 20 minutes by local transport. I'll find out when Orscher and Lucash; Scott and Duelebohn are skating and be sure to get a ticket for that. I'll try those senior events, maybe Emily will be skating, and must see Rohene. very talented guy and a winner if he can just stand up.

Joe

You don't have to get a ticket in advance, just show up and pay at the door. And the last I heard, Scott and Dulebohn had decided not to skate. But maybe they changed their minds. ;) Anyway, you never know at these club competitions who will actually show up to skate, so don't be surprised if other skaters on the list do not show up.

Pat

Zaphyre

Spectator
Re: Sanctions

USFSA requires sanctions for members to appear in any show from the club level on up. Fees are based on a percentage of the gate receipts so the more you make, the more you pay. COI makes big bucks so Tom Collins pays a hefty fee for the sanction. SOI COULD get a sanction the same way but won't so individual skaters who want to skate with them (like Todd) have to request a sanction on their own to retain their eligibility.

The conflict comes when the tour days coincide with competition dates. As long as Sarah doesn't try to do both in one season, she should be fine.

More power to the girl for giving skating another shot. College will be there next year if she decides that she doesn't like touring or if training is too much. Sometimes you just need a break to put things in perspective.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
sk8pics said:
You don't have to get a ticket in advance, just show up and pay at the door. And the last I heard, Scott and Dulebohn had decided not to skate. But maybe they changed their minds. ;) Anyway, you never know at these club competitions who will actually show up to skate, so don't be surprised if other skaters on the list do not show up.

Pat is correct. If you want to try and catch Orscher & Lucash and Emily Hughes, I recommend going on Saturday for the Senior Pairs SP Exhibition and Senior Ladies FS (afternoon practices/evening competition). Senior Pairs FS is the last competition event on Sunday, right before the 2 pm Special Exhibition to benefit the Will Sears Fund -- it's free (donations welcomed).

P.S. If I am able to confirm Rohene Ward's appearance(s) at Mid-Atlantics, I will post the info here.

Last edited:

Lucy25

Final Flight
RIskatingfan said:
Every time I have been in England and Ireland I have had to ask for ice in my drinks and they look at me really funny. I also remember having to ask for it in Paris - in fact it said in the tour book to ask for ice if I wanted it!