The Legend Begins | Golden Skate

The Legend Begins

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK. Here's a fun idea.

We all have our favorite legends and we know their legendary performances.

But before they became legends, they needed a breakout performance.

So what are your memories of first seeing something that you knew would grow into something great.

My example. What came before Bolero?

Although they won their first WC in 1981, skating to the soundtrack from Fame, real acclaim came to Torvill and Dean the following year with a groundbreaking free skate to Mack and Mabel.

You can already see some of the originality and flair that would define their skating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNJQXCQt7Ek

So... time for you to follow on!

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Just before her first National singles title, and a few years before her Olympic gold, Kristi Yamaguchi was a talented pairs skater with partner Rudy Galindo, who had to find his inner singles skater once the partnership ended. But as a pair you can see a glimpse of the flair and polish both would have in their singles amateur and professional careers. There are some fun little touches here, like the entrance into the final death spiral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62iI8SbLm-I

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
for me, it was when Patrick Chan surprisingly won his first National title... I am sure that we could trace back to earlier times when he is a little boy... but then, I didn't get hooked... it was really there, when he defeated Jeffrey Buttle, heavy favourite, that i thought.. damn... this is something....
I was actually not pleased because I was at the time very devoted to Jeffrey :)

Everything got better for me when Jeffrey won Worlds that year... and then surprisingly retired two years before home Olympic games... but then, I thought, it's okay... that 17 year old boy, Patrick Chan, is just magic and he will be a great skater....

You have to understand that Patrick had just learned his 3A... He didn't have a quad yet... but boy he could skate. I fell in love with his skating and never looked back..

It's been almost ten years!!!!

Vancouver : an injury prevented him to be as ready as he could have been but he won silver at the following worlds (like previously in 2009).
Then 3 seasons (one completely undefeated) where he won the Worlds Championships....

Of course the memorable skates at 2013 Bompart. The disappointment in Sochi but nevertheless, he won 2 silver medals....

and of course, since his comeback, Patrick continues to leave his mark with the most stellar programs, including challenging himself technically.

We could also talk about his genuine, humble, "good guy" personality which is well appreciated among his peers and his charitable work.

A brilliant young man .

Last edited:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Vancouver : an injury prevented him to be as ready as he could have been but he won silver at the following worlds (like previously in 2009).
Then 3 seasons (one completely undefeated) where he won the Worlds Championships....

Out of mere and useless curiosity, that must have been the last time a man went completely undefeated for a season right?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Out of mere and useless curiosity, that must have been the last time a man went completely undefeated for a season right?

Patrick's undefeated season was 2011-12.

The only other candidates would be worlds champions....

Yuzuru won both the WC and OG in 2014 but was second in his GP events twice beaten by Chan at TEB, and at Skate Canada

Yuzuru won the WC in 2017 but lost 4CC to Chen and Skate Canada to Chan

Javier in both years he won WC, he was coming from a lost in the GPF to Yuzuru.

blackey

On the Ice
v/m's umbrellas of cherbourg
yuzu's r&j 1.0
also maybe Marin last year's FD.

I'm not quite sure of what's your definition to "something that you knew would grow into something great." like what's this "great" mean? does this mean something I personally would love or something that would win world title one day?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Kurt Browning's was probably the Grand Canyon Suite - I mean that is the program he hit his quad with... but at the same time he skated to that music for so long... lol

https://youtu.be/kxpCu8wRv14

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
My immediate thought that sprung to mind was the very first, no costume, double jumps only, not-quite-finished outing of Riverdance at the Broadmoor Open in 2013.

I had the video up on Youtube (until I got sat on the naughty chair for it) and in just a few days it had over 4000 views. I clearly wasn't the only one who was immediately caught by the potential in that program. Even in that earliest, rawest form, I felt - and I know there were others here who felt it too - that it was something very, very special.

Erin S

Rinkside
Michelle's 1996 Nats performance of Salome. That was the beginning of an era. Also Sasha's short program at 2000 Nats.

HoneyGoldLev

Rinkside
Yuzuru Hanyu, Parisienne Walkway from GPF 2013/14 (or Sochi 2014, minor difference).

Many people says for Hanyu, it's R&J1.0, but I felt like his movement was still too raw and unpolished at that time, altho excellent emotion.
But PW is the one that really displayed his very unique quality and style.
Like when you watched PW, you know that this boy is gonna be big one day.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Mao 2006-2007 season, her full senior debut. The FS that year, Czardas, was an underrated program of hers. Showing her unique style, musicality and artistry.

How do you know it's a great program?

-The silence of Dick Button:party:

https://youtu.be/W5G3Ns2i86U

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My immediate thought that sprung to mind was the very first, no costume, double jumps only, not-quite-finished outing of Riverdance at the Broadmoor Open in 2013.

I had the video up on Youtube (until I got sat on the naughty chair for it) and in just a few days it had over 4000 views. I clearly wasn't the only one who was immediately caught by the potential in that program. Even in that earliest, rawest form, I felt - and I know there were others here who felt it too - that it was something very, very special.

I remember all of this! Including you getting put i the naughty chair. LOL.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
v/m's umbrellas of cherbourg
yuzu's r&j 1.0
also maybe Marin last year's FD.

I'm not quite sure of what's your definition to "something that you knew would grow into something great." like what's this "great" mean? does this mean something I personally would love or something that would win world title one day?

What I meant is an early program that offered a glimpse of something great to come. Don't overthink it.

Even if your interpretation doesn't exactly match mine, it's OK. The best threads are the ones that meander a bit.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Todd's whole 1994/1995 season! I will say I loved his "Chaplin" program (circa 1992/1993) prior to that. "Chaplin" was an eye opener for me because it showed me that Todd could do a lighthearted program successfully & with personality. I feel he is a master of serious programs, but I really appreciate his "fun" side as well.

Last edited:

Yuzuuu

Rinkside
Yuzuru's RJ1 definitely made me felt like damn this kid gonna be big. then PW happened, I knew it's the start of a legend :luv17:

lappo

Final Flight
Agree with all the aforementioned...I add Yuna Kim "Roxanne" and "Lark Ascending" on her first senior season. The first especially really showed sparks and made me think "This girl can become big".

snd

On the Ice
good thread.

i remember stephan lambiel from early 2001. he was in his mid-teens, skating his lp (euros, probably). he was a nobody coming from nowhere wearing what looked like a training costume for amateur gymnasts or something... but i remember how i said he'd become great one day. one of the very best. and he did. i just re-watched that performance and i'm not sure what made me say that with such great conviction but whatever.

i remember javier's first euros, too, thinking that he MIGHT become a contender one day. however, i thought the same about kuchvalska a year ago, too... and gubanova, this year (optimistic, i know).

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hPlUpeBsgI El Tango de Roxanne

Yuna Kim, a first-year senior from a country where figure skating was barren skated first in the SP at Skate Canada and won the segment by beating all seasoned skaters including a multiple World medalist. The new era of the sport began. :)