SOI in Wenatchee WA | Page 2 | Golden Skate

SOI in Wenatchee WA

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
My very first "skating live" was a show with Torvill & Dean in the 80s. I always thought it was COI, but I have no idea now. T&D were the headliners, but it was a huge cast, I actually don't remember. But it filled about 75% of Philadelphia's largest indoor stadium...

For whatever reason, those days are gone.....:sad21:

Could it have been "Torvill and Dean and the Russian All-Stars" tour?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
And yet all those Olympic medalists were on Champions On Ice in 92, when Nancy, Tonya, & Kristi all performed in the same show. The pairs, the dancers, the men. All but maybe one or two performers from the entire Olympic Exhibition. It was not the Tonya/Nancy scandal that built COI. It undoubtedly expanded the tour dates. But it wasn't what brought all those athletes here to perform.

What built COI was the quality of competition in the other big show at the time Stars On Ice (SOI). the only difference was at the time only Champions could have amateur skaters in the cast because it was partnered with USFSA and the ISU whereas SOI had to be all pro in the states (and in Canada Kurt Browning had to fight to be allowed in the cast IIRC the story correctly). COI relied greatly on the star power and strength of the cast where as SOI boasted a more cohesive cast that was about the cast as a whole with break out routines for each skater/team. COI was about the individual more than the group, SOI - to me - was the reverse. In the glory days and early days of Internet fans were fiercely loyal to one or the other (I was pro SOI "back in the day). Sadly, SOI is now using the COI model and the routines IMO just aren't up to the standard of what they had in the 90s (honestly it was never the same once Bezic left).

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
What built COI was the quality of competition in the other big show at the time Stars On Ice (SOI). the only difference was at the time only Champions could have amateur skaters in the cast because it was partnered with USFSA and the ISU whereas SOI had to be all pro in the states (and in Canada Kurt Browning had to fight to be allowed in the cast IIRC the story correctly). COI relied greatly on the star power and strength of the cast where as SOI boasted a more cohesive cast that was about the cast as a whole with break out routines for each skater/team. COI was about the individual more than the group, SOI - to me - was the reverse. In the glory days and early days of Internet fans were fiercely loyal to one or the other (I was pro SOI "back in the day). Sadly, SOI is now using the COI model and the routines IMO just aren't up to the standard of what they had in the 90s (honestly it was never the same once Bezic left).

I completely agree with your last statement, although the seasons that Kurt Browning was doing the choreography it was brilliant as well, I feel it's somewhat lacking under Buttle's choreographic supervision. :eek:hwell:

PullingForSasha

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Televised?

Will this be televised this year? I don’t think it was last year. I have an on ice seat, center ice for Chicago. I can’t wait to go! :)
I met Sasha on 9-14-04 at a Marshalls Skate Fest at the Seven Bridges Ice Arena in Woodridge, IL. about 20 miles west of Chicago. So I figured WTH? I might as well go to a skating event. So in ‘05-‘06 I booked up C.O.I. front row center ice. The place CRACKLED with the anticipation of the Olympics. EVERYBODY was there. It was my first skating event ever at the Chicago, United Center.
I just found out that I missed a local skating/fundraiser with Courtney Hicks, and Alissa Czisny who was my new fave after Sasha. It was 30 mins away. :(
Shots of C.O.I. 2005 by Jay Adeff.
http://www.jayadeff.com/COI2005/COI2005.htm

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While we still enjoy attending SOI, we do miss what used to be the international flavor of the cast (and that includes the Canadian skaters :love:). We totally support Team USA, but we really appreciated that mix (Katia, Ilia, the Kerrs, Yuka, Joannie Rochette, Shawn Sawyer, etc.). It would also be cool to see the Canadian SOI tour, but we live nowhere near a major Canadian city. We are grateful that Kurt had done the US tour for so many years!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Will this be televised this year? I don’t think it was last year. I have an on ice seat, center ice for Chicago. I can’t wait to go! :)
I met Sasha on 9-14-04 at a Marshalls Skate Fest at the Seven Bridges Ice Arena in Woodridge, IL. about 20 miles west of Chicago. So I figured WTH? I might as well go to a skating event. So in ‘05-‘06 I booked up C.O.I. front row center ice. The place CRACKLED with the anticipation of the Olympics. EVERYBODY was there. It was my first skating event ever at the Chicago, United Center.
I just found out that I missed a local skating/fundraiser with Courtney Hicks, and Alissa Czisny who was my new fave after Sasha. It was 30 mins away. :(
Shots of C.O.I. 2005 by Jay Adeff.
http://www.jayadeff.com/COI2005/COI2005.htm
No it will not be televised.

tennisguy

Rinkside
There's been a lot of talk in recent years about why figure skating tours in North America aren't doing as well and why so many of the skating shows have closed. Certainly some of it has to do with a dip in popularity of the sport and a lack of American stars on the tours - Evan Lysacek won an Olympic title just 7 years ago but isn't on the SOI Tour - but I think we also have to look to the changes in the way people spend their entertainment dollars. A lot of places/organizations that deal in live shows are struggling because people don't spend the money to go out anymore.
Ringling Brothers is folding up its tents after a 146 years.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ringling-bros-circus-ending-1.3936551
Bars & Nightclubs are closing.
http://www.news1130.com/2017/01/10/...usic-clubs-are-losing-the-fight-to-stay-open/

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
There's been a lot of talk in recent years about why figure skating tours in North America aren't doing as well and why so many of the skating shows have closed. Certainly some of it has to do with a dip in popularity of the sport and a lack of American stars on the tours - Evan Lysacek won an Olympic title just 7 years ago but isn't on the SOI Tour - but I think we also have to look to the changes in the way people spend their entertainment dollars. A lot of places/organizations that deal in live shows are struggling because people don't spend the money to go out anymore.
Ringling Brothers is folding up its tents after a 146 years.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ringling-bros-circus-ending-1.3936551
Bars & Nightclubs are closing.
http://www.news1130.com/2017/01/10/...usic-clubs-are-losing-the-fight-to-stay-open/
I understand what you are saying here, but Lysacek was on the tour 2 years ago plus Patrick Chan and more and that was the worst $ netting tour in the US in years. You also can't market a skater as a headliner for this tour if he doesn't skate shows much (he's in fashion now and truly retired). The US SOI tour cast with exception of 2015, has been the top Olympic and Worlds level skaters from the USA since at least 2014, so it's not like people here don't know who these skaters are. :slink:

tennisguy

Rinkside
I understand what you are saying here, but Lysacek was on the tour 2 years ago plus Patrick Chan and more and that was the worst $ netting tour in the US in years. You also can't market a skater as a headliner for this tour if he doesn't skate shows much (he's in fashion now and truly retired). The US SOI tour cast with exception of 2015, has been the top Olympic and Worlds level skaters from the USA since at least 2014, so it's not like people here don't know who these skaters are. :slink:

But there aren't enough people here to sell tickets in all the cities that host the tour - I was speaking of the general public, who really only know those skaters that break through at an Olympics and singles skaters are usually the headliners. I understand that Lysacek isn't touring anymore but when you look at the Canadian Tour including Browning, Stojko, and Buttle, all of whom retired from ISU competitions prior to Lysacek, it's unfortunate that only singles Olympic Champion from the US in the past 15 years is not still touring and performing.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
But there aren't enough people here to sell tickets in all the cities that host the tour - I was speaking of the general public, who really only know those skaters that break through at an Olympics and singles skaters are usually the headliners. I understand that Lysacek isn't touring anymore but when you look at the Canadian Tour including Browning, Stojko, and Buttle, all of whom retired from ISU competitions prior to Lysacek, it's unfortunate that only singles Olympic Champion from the US in the past 15 years is not still touring and performing.

I agree.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I always liked the group numbers & fresh choreography in them in SOI. And, of course, you couldn't beat Scott for entertainment value (Kurt was one of my favorites as well); but the tour was always more North American centric. Usually only a top European pairs team and maybe 1 or 2 other European athletes (one of which was Stephen Cousins?). I love many North American skaters, but I see them much more often. If you wanted to see any of the great Russian ice dancers that dominated the dance event from 1985 to the present, you were out of luck. There was very little turnover on SOI, which is a good sign loyalty-wise, but not great motivation if the point is the chance to see athletes live that you have never seen. I did see Shen & Zhao post Olympic gold on SOI and will always be grateful, and SOI allowed us to continue to see Katia skate much longer than would have happened without it.

The first skating show I remember attending when I was little was something like Disney on Ice in San Francisco. It had Linda Fratianne, Peter Pan, and Goofy. That's what I remember. I thought it was fabulous.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I always liked the group numbers & fresh choreography in them in SOI. And, of course, you couldn't beat Scott for entertainment value (Kurt was one of my favorites as well); but the tour was always more North American centric. Usually only a top European pairs team and maybe 1 or 2 other European athletes (one of which was Stephen Cousins?). I love many North American skaters, but I see them much more often. If you wanted to see any of the great Russian ice dancers that dominated the dance event from 1985 to the present, you were out of luck. There was very little turnover on SOI, which is a good sign loyalty-wise, but not great motivation if the point is the chance to see athletes live that you have never seen. I did see Shen & Zhao post Olympic gold on SOI and will always be grateful, and SOI allowed us to continue to see Katia skate much longer than would have happened without it.

The first skating show I remember attending when I was little was something like Disney on Ice in San Francisco. It had Linda Fratianne, Peter Pan, and Goofy. That's what I remember. I thought it was fabulous.

Uh, there have been plenty of Russians of all disciplines in the tour in the past. Yagudin, Kulik, G&G, Bechke/Petrov, Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze, Annenko/Stretenski and more. Also, Asian skaters: Sato, Arakawa, Lu Chen etc.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

I have false memories, understand, but I remember the completely different feel of COI and SOI. COI in my memory was more about Champions doing their programs, which I really enjoyed. There was nothing wrong with skaters doing skits, etc on SOI, and I attended many with my wife sitting on the ice....but when competition came to Spokane in 2002 (SkateAmerica), the desire for me to attend shows wained...I was hooked. I attended a few more shows before they went away here....but it wasnt the same....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

Yeah, that was the nice thing about COI...pleanty of Russian and other ice dancers....

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Those Champions on Ice shows were an amazing love fest! I remember just sitting there mesmerized. And I can still picture Eisler and Brasseur doing a head banger! :palmf: And they ( and WE!) lived to talk about it!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it would be cool if the Canadian Stars on Ice cast merged with the US cast and they did a North American tour. Plus the Canadian leg has more dates (probably due to FS being more popular in Canada).

I mean the group numbers are essentially the same in both shows and Jeff Buttle wouldn't have to teach the same moves twice!

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Does stars on ice only include American skaters or can Canada be a part of it too? Just curious. I wonder how other skating federations handle their summer tours.