Yuzuru Hanyu: 2014-15 Season | Page 198 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2014-15 Season

Rinkside
Leaving aside everything else, I was surprised when I came on GS to find all this information about his training lol. You claim Yuzuru the quick thinking math genius, yet here you were able to create a pretty deep analysis. :laugh:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I agree he should be fine by Nationals. Cutting out of the GP series would be a wise option given his condition. He would have enough time to heal his injuries over and can rework his jumps and hopefully by then in full health by Nationals, he'll be able to deliver stellar performances! I am getting impatient to see a clean phantom program but that will only happen when he gets enough rest and has time to practice his jumps.
Actually his jumps are still fine (except maybe the 4S and the edge on the Flip). He still landed them beautifully in the video practices so I don't think he has much problem with his jumps. The SP was mainly about his nerves and the new layout. And it's not like he always skated clean PW anyways. :laugh: He did got only 80.40 points for PW at SC last year IRCC.
So the most important thing is his health. His legs!!! He injured both his leg in CoC. :cry: Let's wait until National. :)

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Actually his jumps are still fine (except maybe the 4S and the edge on the Flip). He still landed them beautifully in the video practices so I don't think he has much problem with his jumps. The SP was mainly about his nerves and the new layout. And it's not like he always skated clean PW anyways. :laugh: He did got only 80.40 points for PW at SC last year IRCC.
So the most important thing is his health. His legs!!! He injured both his leg in CoC. :cry: Let's wait until National. :)

Your clear memory frightens me Meoima :p

Meoima

Match Penalty
Your clear memory frightens me Meoima :p
With the help of Google and ISU result page. :p And SC was his first GP last year as well.
So it's not a big surprised. He did peak early in season 2012-2013 (world record at SA) then the result was that he's injured very badly at WC 2013. So to be frankly I am quite relief that he didn't peak early this year.

And we all know Yuzuru hates losing. He loves chasing and he's very good at chasing. So other guys'd better watch their backs even now he's injured. :popcorn: If he by some way, heals in time before NHK I know for sure he will not let his fans down (he didn't let us down at CoC IMO). And if he decides to WD and waits until National, we can be happy to have a more healthy Yuzuru back. ;)

Last edited:

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
Totally agree. After what happened at CoC. I don't care anymore about medals or placement and scores, I only hope for his health. Even if he has to take a season off, that doesn't matter. Let the others take the medals if they want. He already has them all. Now his health is the most important thing. I hope he rest well and stay away from the media and the competitions.

I think Yuzu would be devastated if he had to take the entire season off. Remember, skating is his life and to not do what he loves would be tragic for him. Seeing that he is 19 (almost 20) years young, he'll heal quickly and be fine for Nationals with some training time under his belt between now and then. Wouldn't he go back to Canada as soon as he's feeling better, say in a week or two? Then he could slowly get back to training and be ready to go by December 24th. I can't imagine him not competing at all this season. :no:

Meoima

Match Penalty
He had no trouble with the 4T in the second half, still popped that 3lz3T but maybe he had lost strength after the 4T. I don't think he has trouble with the lutz, since he landed 3lz2T in the long. I have the feeling Yuzuru has less trouble with the new long program than the short. The short program layout he chose was just very unfamiliar to him IMO. It might take time for him to get used to it.
So this season we might have back the Yuzuru who is strong at freeskate than the short I suppose.

Last edited:

HanDomi

Record Breaker
He had no trouble with the 4T in the second half, still popped that 3lz3T but maybe he had lost strength after the 4T. I don't think he has trouble with the lutz, since he landed 3lz2T in the long. I have the feeling Yuzuru has less trouble with the new long program than the short. The short program layout he chose was just very unfamiliar to him IMO. It might take time for him to get used to it.
So this season we might have back the Yuzuru who is strong at freeskate than the short I suppose.

it will come with time sourely to get used to the timing of 4T in SP, but still his overall skating progressed magically over this summer somehow to new lvl, or it was all there just diffrent programs unlocked this

Meoima

Match Penalty
it will come with time sourely to get used to the timing of 4T in SP, but still his overall skating progressed magically over this summer somehow to new lvl, or it was all there just diffrent programs unlocked this
Somehow I think the reason behind his improvement in skating skills was that because he injured his back and was restricted on jumping. :laugh: so what did he do when he were not allowed to jump because of his back? Refined his skating skills.
Just kidding, just my guess, don't think it's gossip okay?

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Somehow I think the reason behind his improvement in skating skills was that because he injured his back and was restricted on jumping. :laugh: so what did he do when he were not allowed to jump because of his back? Refined his skating skills.
Just kidding, just my guess, don't think it's gossip okay?

You have a point there, but I think Yuzuru has always worked hard to improve his skating skills. And now more and more people are starting to notice so that even comparisons with Patrick Chan are being made (e.g., B. Esp. commentary at COC).

Meoima

Match Penalty
You have a point there, but I think Yuzuru has always worked hard to improve his skating skills. And now more and more people are starting to notice so that even comparisons with Patrick Chan are being made (e.g., B. Esp. commentary at COC).
Yeah. It's not that I like him that I say his skating skills have improved. It's that he indeed has become much better. He's smoother, more control on the blades. IMHO, aside from PChiddy who is still on another level, and Kozuka and Dai... I can see that Yuzuru has set himself different to the rest of the field. His Chopin SP is the showcase of his improved skating skills. So I don't care about the jumps at all. We can even see that many posters who are not his fans recognized that he has a big improvement. Better skating skills, better lines, better posture.

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Regarding Yuzuru's improvement I would say mostly skating skills, more control of edges, deeper and steady edges, and better at turns, but his lines and postures still need lots of work, not saying they are not improved, especially his postures.
As far as skating skills, I would also place Han above Yuzuru, Han just had a natural talent in that aspect.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Regarding Yuzuru's improvement I would say mostly skating skills, more control of edges, deeper and steady edges, and better at turns, but his lines and postures still need lots of work, not saying they are not improved, especially his postures.
As far as skating skills, I would also place Han above Yuzuru, Han just had a natural talent in that aspect.
I think one of the reasons that hinders his posture is that his injury on the back. I did some research and it seems the pain in the low back can make you feel horrible while skating because each of your upper body movement is strained by the pain. And he has had that back pain issue from the junior day. I can't tell for sure but overall big improvement.

In term of skating skills, I'd rather believe people who have watched them live (and someone has mentioned in the SP thread). And they indeed have reported that Yuzuru's skating skill is much better than the field. More control and smooth. Han Yan has that talent in SS but he hasn't showed much improvement from last year, even though it's still early. IMHO, Yuzuru at the moment has much better control on the edges than Han Yan, or I can say "lighter".

I wish they can have a better camera cut of time traveler and a perfect performance of this piece.:eek::
He could have performed this ex at CoC if it hadn't been for that collision. :cry:

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
"Yuzuru at the moment has much better control on the edges than Han Yan, or I can say "lighter"."
this, although I like Yuzuru alot ,I beg to differ...
Anyways, I checked the protocol, only Kovtun get level 4 step sequence, both Han and Yuzuru are only level 3 in SP:scratch:

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
"Yuzuru at the moment has much better control on the edges than Han Yan, or I can say "lighter"."
this, although I like Yuzuru alot ,but I cannot agree...
I think it depends on whether or not you see them skate live. As I've stated, I'd take the words from people who have seen them live several times.
Sometimes we can't tell by video. Mrs. P, Lake (or Lakeside I don't remember her/his nick) YesWay, Doris, Asthetics, Buttercup...have seen them live.

Anyways, I checked the protocol, only Kovtun get level 4 step sequence, both Han and Yuzuru are only level 3 in SP:scratch:
Level and the flow of footwork don't always go together, though. You know level is just checking points most of the time. And both Yuzuru and Hanyan messed up their SP worse than Kovtun, even though I'd rather watch both of them over Kovtun's SP (that program :unsure:).

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Okay, perhaps I will have to wait until Boston Worlds to see them live together. until then I am holding my opinion;)