Yuzuru Hanyu: 2014-15 Season | Page 615 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2014-15 Season

gsyzf

Medalist
What are these fans based their opinion on? The set of scoring guidelines as an example YesWay given or just base on them watching the skate and upon reading what others non-fan are saying. And what do they think his score should be 70, 85, 90, 93, 96???

I usually don't question his GOEs and TES. For his PCS, I often compare his PCS to his performances at different competitions. I also compare his PCS with his competitors' PCS. So I get a better idea of whether the judges are being generous to him only or being generous to everyone. I think the judges here are generous judges because the other skaters' PCS are also a bit higher (1-2 points higher) than previous competition as well (e.g. Han Yan, Jason, Nam). So I think in this particular competition, it's a combination of generous judging and a bit of home ice inflation. I think without inflation, the score is probably around 94, similar to GPF.

Last edited:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
What are these fans based their opinion on? The set of scoring guidelines as an example YesWay given or just base on them watching the skate? or upon reading what others non-fan are saying? And what do they think his score should be 70, 85, 90, 93, 96???

I'm only speaking for myself, I didn't base my opinion on any scoring guideline because I thought the TES was just fine, I've never questioned TES and I probably never will. What got to me were the PCS, which were almost as high as his Sochi PCS, and he was more than perfect there. Here, he fell in an awkward position, so it took a bit longer for him to get up and was just the tiniest of fraction off-timing in the step sequence, barely nothing but as he has been performing that part perfectly all season, the change was noticeable (at least to me), though he got back on track in the end. I know it's no good to compare scores between competitions, but for something like PCS, it's the only base I can get. I still think he deserved something above 90 for sure, 92-94. It wasn't that much and he of course should have won, he was still the best by far.

Last edited:

shival

Spectator
+3 GoE needs 6 or more bullets
1)-6) and
7) effortless throughout
8) element matched to the musical structure
I think it's okay to give he +3.

Don’t matter the score too much. Everyone should enjoy this funny event.

alia jackson

Record Breaker
So you say 94... and the rest also "overscored" by 2 pts so without inflation Han ~85, Jason ~84, Nam ~75. Now I hope everyone is happy :sarcasm:

We should LET IT GO! LET IT GO!

Last edited:

firal

Record Breaker
Just relaying a little more info from this article:

- He said that he is quite surprised at the season's best mark

- He said he was confident with the combo since he has been practicing it a lot and had not missed it at all since coming to this rink

- Orser was surprised at how much he had improved when he saw him for the first time this time around compare to the Worlds

alia jackson

Record Breaker
^^Thanks Firal

A Japan Times article "Hanyu triumphs in men’s short program at World Team Trophy" stated the following --> As silence fell before his skate on Thursday, one concerned female fan shouted: “Relax and keep calm!”.

I heard a female voice shouted something a couple of second before the music starts and the audience laugh. That is so distracting. Kind of similar incident before worlds 2014 SP. I hope there is no screaming before he skate tonight.

Lambari

Final Flight
People should loosen up a bit. There's no way a person can follow FS without finding people questioning the scores, so who cares if people think he was overscored or if people think he was scored fairly. We spend too much energy at the "THIS IS AN OOUTRAAAGE !1!1!!" or "I will defend it till i dieeeee, GOE BULLETSSS !1!!1! " :laugh2: But this is a forum for open discussion so I guess it's ok. ;)

Me as a honorary ISU judge :cool: would give less GOE for the 3A, less PCS and would score him at about 92, 93 at maximum *hiding form the pitchforks* :p

Now I thought about ranking his performances by my personal preference. My ranking was this one:

Chopin:

NHK < COC < Nationals < WTT < GPF < Worlds

POTO:

COC <<<<<<<<<<<<<<< NHK < Nationals < GPF < Worlds

What are your personal ranking guys?

gsyzf

Medalist
Me as a honorary ISU judge :cool: would give less GOE for the 3A, less PCS and would score him at about 92, 93 at maximum *hiding form the pitchforks* :p

Most people would agree with 92-94. (Mine is 93-94, closer to 94 than 93). But these judges are generous judges. They are more generous compared to judges from the previous competitions. They were giving generous PCS to other skaters too. So you probably need to subtract 2 points from everyone's PCS as well.

-------
Edit: In terms of the ranking of performances, I will wait till tonight.

Last edited:

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
People should loosen up a bit. There's no way a person can follow FS without finding people questioning the scores, so who cares if people think he was overscored or if people think he was scored fairly. We spend too much energy at the "THIS IS AN OOUTRAAAGE !1!1!!" or "I will defend it till i dieeeee, GOE BULLETSSS !1!!1! " :laugh2: But this is a forum for open discussion so I guess it's ok. ;)

Now I thought about ranking his performances by my personal preference. My ranking was this one:

Chopin:

POTO:

Oh what a fun thing to do. Mine would be:
SP
GPF > Nationals > Worlds > WTT > CoC > NHK
LP
GPF > Nationals > Worlds > NHK >>>>>>>of course CoC . TBD WTT :)

owl

On the Ice
Oh what a fun thing to do. Mine would be:
SP
GPF > Nationals > Worlds > WTT > CoC > NHK
LP
GPF > Nationals > Worlds > NHK >>>>>>>of course CoC . TBD WTT :)

I like this! :eek:: Mine would probably be:

SP
Worlds > WTT > GPF > Nationals > CoC > NHK

FS
GPF > Worlds > Nationals > NHK >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> CoC

xibsuarz

Record Breaker

Chopin:

POTO:

For the SP: NHK<CoC<WTT<Worlds<GPF<Nationals
For the FS: CoC<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<NHK<Worlds<Nationals<GPF<(Hopefully)WTT
I think CoC can be set it as default at the bottom of the list :cry:
BTW, I just noticed that there was no progression of the navy blue part of the shirt in his costume :laugh: it would have been interesting to see even more blue in there :biggrin:

mnm464

On the Ice
My favorite skates is between Worlds or GPF, despite the mistakes. I think at both he came back with a vengeance for a clean skate(as always) but I could really feel the want to prove himself....Also, I watched this video on youtube and don't you think he looks quite surprised at 9 seconds? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NaKgjjt6Lk

ahkeekee

Medalist

Chopin:

POTO:

I would agree with your ranking for sp and lp, But am I the only one who thought that despite he fell more in coc, the performance there was more touching/expressive? Not that I like the idea to skate with his condition then, But I felt more with his skate at coc than nhk [sorry yuzu and don't bash me for this comment pls!

Meoima

Match Penalty
:rolleye: I don't get why some people are so over enthusiastic about a commercial event's score. Let's not forget not many people in the skating world take it serious at all. My favorite I/Z scored badly, but I am not even worried a bit. This is the last time they perform their programs of this season, whatever the score they get, it's just for some symbolic value.

I have read some comments from Russian fed official, they don't even care about how their skaters perform in this event (more like: This is a tiring season, they're all tired, no need to panic, the event means not much...) ;)

As if they can take these season best to trade for the world title. As if the judges have robbed of anyone's medal here lol. If they could do that I am sure the event would have turned into bloodbath. This is more like a goodbye to the programs, a bit generosity means not much honestly.

As to me, his best Chopin was at Shanghai, where he hit exactly every note.

Last edited:

Fer

On the Ice
I would not give so many <<<<<< for the LP in COC which was so special and I could see that he did his best to play the role deeply and emotionally.

For SP, I love the one in Shanghai the best. One of my little wired theories is that if a skater doesn't do well in his first jumping pass, he will try to do his best in all the other jumps, step sequences and spins to make up for it. So sometimes we can see some specially good performance in some unclean programs. That may or may not be the case for Yuzu's SP in Shanghai (maybe also the LP in 2013GPF), but I love it the most.

For LP, let's hope we will love the one performed tomorrow (today?)!:cheer:

Lambari

Final Flight
I would agree with your ranking for sp and lp, But am I the only one who thought that despite he fell more in coc, the performance there was more touching/expressive? Not that I like the idea to skate with his condition then, But I felt more with his skate at coc than nhk [sorry yuzu and don't bash me for this comment pls!

To be very honest, I only could bring myself to watch COC FS once :drama: However I still see photos and bits of it at montage videos which I skip for my dear life as fast as I can ..... But I remember his faces during the performance, so I know what you're talking about. I didn't get the vibe that it made the performance more 'expressive' thought, it was actually rather creepy for me (sorry guys). The way he smiled at the end and had his "Look at meeee, see!! I'm a HeRoOoOoO!!" moment of epiphany freaked me out. Yuzuru is an amazing kid but is prone to insanity sometimes. :laugh2: But well, I guess people who impact the world are considered crazy at least once in their lives so :shrug: No that it's positive though, just food for thought.

As to me, his best Chopin was at Shanghai, where he hit exactly every note.

Yes! :agree: For me his Worlds performances were the best of his season. He was much more into the performance and particularly the music than any other competition this season, and that's what makes his skating for me.

Worlds Chopin SP has the best step sequence, spins, and he was right there with every transition and detail of the choreography.

Also, I know it's an unpopular opinion since a lot of Yuzuru fans seem to luurve 194.08 but Worlds POTO was light years better than GPF for me and I'm not sorry. (Pfff, what are quads anyway? :laugh: Just kidding) It was actually the only time that I could feel this program, he was really commited to it once the pressure of quads ended and was not only landing jumps. It also had the best POTO ina bauer and spins as well.

And I'm such a sucker for Yuzuru's fighting spirit so I guess this explains a lot too ...

ahkeekee

Medalist
To be very honest, I only could bring myself to watch COC FS once :drama: However I still see photos and bits of it at montage videos which I skip for my dear life as fast as I can ..... But I remember his faces during the performance, so I know what you're talking about. I didn't get the vibe that it made the performance more 'expressive' thought, it was actually rather creepy for me (sorry guys). The way he smiled at the end and had his "Look at meeee, see!! I'm a HeRoOoOoO!!" moment of epiphany freaked me out. Yuzuru is an amazing kid but is prone to insanity sometimes. :laugh2: But well, I guess people who impact the world are considered crazy at least once in their lives so :shrug: No that it's positive though, just food for thought.

Yes! :agree: For me his Worlds performances were the best of his season. He was much more into the performance and particularly the music than any other competition this season, and that's what makes his skating for me.

Worlds Chopin SP has the best step sequence, spins, and he was right there with every transition and detail of the choreography.

Also, I know it's an unpopular opinion since a lot of Yuzuru fans seem to luurve 194.08 but Worlds POTO was light years better than GPF for me and I'm not sorry. (Pfff, what are quads anyway? :laugh: Just kidding) It was actually the only time that I could feel this program, he was really commited to it once the pressure of quads ended and was not only landing jumps. It also had the best POTO ina bauer and spins as well.

And I'm such a sucker for Yuzuru's fighting spirit so I guess this explains a lot too ...

I thought phantom is quite creepy and insane too? So That's why I said it's more phantom-like? Idk.... don't mind my comments too much! (sorry if my comments sounds offensive to you )

And I agree that his sp and lp looked the best in world's, they're more expressive there although there wasn't the two wonderful quads for lp like in gpf

Last edited:

Eloyse

On the Ice
According to some repo, Yuzu did a clean run through in today's op, but he still popped a 4T in practice and his 3lz was still leaning forward. I think fans shouldn't take his good 4t for granted. For me, yesterday's chopin was much better than what I expected to see because he struggled a lot with 4t in yesterday's morning practice:hopelessness:

ahkeekee

Medalist
According to some repo, Yuzu did a clean run through in today's op, but he still popped a 4T in practice and his 3lz was still leaning forward. I think fans shouldn't take his good 4t for granted. For me, yesterday's chopin was much better than what I expected to see because he struggled a lot with 4t in yesterday's morning practice:hopelessness:

Understood, Thanks for your info

I still hope that he'll skate poto well since poto is a program and music he obviously loves so much!

Edit: we'er so close to poSt #20000

Last edited: