Yuzuru Hanyu: 2014-15 Season | Page 96 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2014-15 Season

mikaboo

Medalist
This might be a really bad timing with all the costume talk, but...
The interview Yuzuru gave in Toronto has been translated by Tumblr user @311mi. Read it here.
@311mi thank you so much!

since many people were dubious about some of the translations of the article, I went through them and found a couple of parts that were mistranslated or were perhaps lost in translation and have noted them down below. Anyone (SuzyQ?:)) is welcome to fix anything I might have misinterpreted though. I'm just nitpicking in some parts but overall, kudos to the translator(s):thumbsup:!
The words I marked in red, I would replace with the blue and the original J words are in parenthesis at the end so you can look it up in your own languages as well.
--------------

Everybody's attitude towards me has changed as well, and I can't help but feel embarrassed at times.
>>> bewildered/feel lost(戸惑い)

To me, however, the ten or so years that I've been skating for, the four years leading up to Sochi, and today and the future, it's all the same for me.
>>> they're all completely different. (全く別のものだと思っている)

There are things outside of figure skating that I really detest, but they don't affect me too much
>>> There are a lot of things that I don't really like (dislike a little)outside of figure skating but they are minor things that come with the surroundings. (スケート以外はちょっと嫌だなと思うこともたくさんあるんですが、それは周りにちょっとついてくるだけ。)

Q: Seeing as your personality is one where you tend to go with the flow, was there a time where you've been really frustrated and felt down?
>>> You look like someone who's always progressed satisfactorily with good results. Have you ever experienced a slump?(順調に結果を残してきたように見える。スランプを経験したことは。)

I think that going through frustrations and hardships is a must, and I believe that competitors at the World Championships and the Olympics are about the same as well. It’s because you’ve increased in skill that you encounter this stump.
>>> I think that it's normal to go through a slump. I believe that everyone who went to the Olympics and the World Championships experienced this, but I raised the level of my condition so high that I encountered a slump.(スランプはあって当然だと思う。五輪とか世界選手権ではみんながそうだと思うけれど、スランプになるくらいまで調子を上げたんです。)

A: Mhm, my current plan is to continue on until PyeongChang — to train hard for four years and then retire. This is why I say I want to be able to do my best in the four years to come to leave my mark down in figure skating history with good results.
>>> This is why I want to do my best to achieve good results in the next 4 years.(だからこの四年間で結果を出せるように全力を出すだけかなと思ってます。)

A: It's because it's a very sensitive topic that I can't freely talk about it. However, there are a lot of details that I feel must be let known by the public. Now I think that the only thing within my abilities that I can do to help is to not talk about the hardships and pain anymore.
>>> It's a sensitive topic so it is hard to talk about it. However, there are probably a lot of things that I need to talk about. I think I'm in a position where I'm able to do something so if it's going to help the disaster areas, then it's not such a burden.(注意がいるので、話しにくいといえば話にくい。ただ僕が話さないといけないことが多分たくさんあると思う。今の自分にはできることがあると思えているので、被災地のためになるのであれば、そんなに苦ではないです。)

Q: Once during the off season, you've went to one of the areas badly hit by the tsunami. Even after these three years, do you think that people should still continue to support them?
>>> During the off season, you went to one of the areas that was badly hit by the tsunami. What is the meaning of continuing to give your support, 3 years after the disaster?(震災から三年たったいま支援を続ける意味は?)

As long as he perfects his physique and stamina, we will definitely see an amazing sight every time he takes center stage.
>>> As long as there are no problems with his health, I have no doubt that he willl give us an eye-opening performance one after another.(体調さえ問題なければ、今季も目を見張るような演技を次々に見せてくれるに違いない。)

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I can't believe you call Paganini a monstronsity and not Zigeuneurweisen :eek::laugh: I must be the only one who really likes his Paganini outfit.... and also.. his R&J2.... (hi there, Pamina).

That one's tied for second place on my worst list, along with R&J2 :laugh: Sorry! That neck ruffle on one side though- gah! I wanted to cut it off so badly! Ever since I first saw it :disapp: Paganini wouldn't be on the bottom if not for the clown collar. And, on a brighter note, I am glad he finally ditched the black gloves.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
This might be a really bad timing with all the costume talk, but...

since many people were dubious about some of the translations of the article, I went through them and found a couple of parts that were mistranslated or were perhaps lost in translation and have noted them down below. Anyone (SuzyQ?:)) is welcome to fix anything I might have misinterpreted though. I'm just nitpicking in some parts but overall, kudos to the translator(s):thumbsup:!
Thank you! Corrections are always appreciated!:thumbsup:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
mikaboo, nevermind our costume talk. Thank you heaps for the translation corrections! :clap:

SuzyQ

Medalist
I've always wondered about the differences in chocolate across countries. I've watched a lot of videos on youtube where users will each send one another a package of food, usually popular stuff like junkfood, and then they'll film their reaction. One thing that surprises me every time is the reaction of foreigners to a hershey chocolate bar :laugh: They say it's way better than their own country's chocolate. I would think most would find American choc too sweet. It seems like average chocolate to me :confused2:

I used to be working for a Japanese confectioner (one of top five makers in Japan), and it was a distributor of Hershey at that time. Honestly, Hershey chocolate is not so familiar with Japanese people, maybe because it has a sort of particular taste due to the use of raw milk instead of powdered skim milk commonly used. (Actually, the taste of milk varies from country to country. It took me some time to get used to the taste of milk when I was in U.K. )

Anyway, I recommend Meiji chocolate if you choose chocolate in Japan :p

http://catalog-p.meiji.co.jp/products/sweets/chocolate/

Sorry, Yuzuru :cool:

Red suit Yuzuru reminded me of Lupin III :biggrin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lupin_III

PatricksGaze

On the Ice
http://news.yahoo.com/figure-skating-medal-sweep-no-fluke-says-japan-090752437--oly.html
Tokyo (AFP) - Japan's figure skating king Yuzuru Hanyu on Wednesday warned rivals that his Olympic and world gold medal double earlier this year was no fluke, promising more fireworks in the new season.
The 19-year-old, who also won the Grand Prix Final before repeating his Sochi heroics on home ice at the world championships in March, told local media: "As Olympic champion I want people to realise that my gold medals were no coincidence -- I won them because of my ability."
"There is pressure of course but that comes with the expectation," said Hanyu, set to unveil a free programme featuring three quad jump attempts in the new season. "I'm glad people have those expectations of me. It shows what they think I am capable of. My goals are always the same. I want to win everything."

:):thumbsup:

Meoima

Match Penalty
http://news.yahoo.com/figure-skating-medal-sweep-no-fluke-says-japan-090752437--oly.html
Tokyo (AFP) - Japan's figure skating king Yuzuru Hanyu on Wednesday warned rivals that his Olympic and world gold medal double earlier this year was no fluke, promising more fireworks in the new season.
The 19-year-old, who also won the Grand Prix Final before repeating his Sochi heroics on home ice at the world championships in March, told local media: "As Olympic champion I want people to realise that my gold medals were no coincidence -- I won them because of my ability."
"There is pressure of course but that comes with the expectation," said Hanyu, set to unveil a free programme featuring three quad jump attempts in the new season. "I'm glad people have those expectations of me. It shows what they think I am capable of. My goals are always the same. I want to win everything."
:):thumbsup:
The title has some problem, "warn" is not the right word. This is out of character. Yuzuru never "warns" anyone. :scowl: Who translate this article????

PatricksGaze

On the Ice
The title has some problem, "warn" is not the right word. This is out of character. Yuzuru never "warns" anyone. :scowl: Who translate this article????

I have no idea. But I read some shocked comments about his actual lines (though personally I didn't find anything wrong with them). This article probably came out from his interview taken on CM event, didn't it? If it's so then someone can translate it properly. Cause these ones tried to create an image of extremely fierce Yuzu.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I have no idea. But I read some shocked comments about his actual lines (though personally I didn't find anything wrong with them). This article probably came out from his interview taken on CM event, didn't it? If it's so then someone can translate it properly. Cause these ones tried to create an image of extremely fierce Yuzu.

The translation may have gotten the nuances a bit wrong but I believe that the flip side to Yuzu's sweet and polite nature is this fierce competitor. It's not a secret that he hates to lose anything. He'll be polite and friendly but he WILL take the gold, thank you very much. -or at least he will try his very hardest to take it.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
The media routinely twists what people say, or quotes them out of context... in order to sensationalise, generate controversy, invent new rivalries, create conflict where there is none, etc etc.

Because that sells newspapers and magazines, drives ratings, boosts page views. Even if a particular person won't talk to them, it's not unusual for them to fabricate their own story. Publishing the humble and mundane truth accurately... doesn't make as much money.

There is no place for integrity, honesty or truth in modern-day media. Only profit matters...

nekosan

Spectator
The words in the Yahoo news seem a bit strong in nuance to me because I think he didn't say "I won them because of my ability." Also, if my memory is correct, he was questioned and answered only about his present feeling about taking the gold medal in Sochi six months ago. He just said "(In the coming skate season) Hopefully, people will think my gold medal (in Sochi) was no coincidence and Yuzuru Hanyu was worth the medal." I'm sure he said the last sentence in third person, which means he is talking about the opinion of the audience. Yuzuru is always very careful about the words he says.
Anyway, I have been happy with a lot of Yuzuru's appearances on the media today.

Meoima

Match Penalty
The words in the Yahoo news seem a bit strong in nuance to me because I think he didn't say "I won them because of my ability." Also, if my memory is correct, he was questioned and answered only about his present feeling about taking the gold medal in Sochi six months ago. He just said "(In the coming skate season) Hopefully, people will think my gold medal (in Sochi) was no coincidence and Yuzuru Hanyu was worth the medal." I'm sure he said the last sentence in third person, which means he is talking about the opinion of the audience. Yuzuru is always very careful about the words he says.
Anyway, I have been happy with a lot of Yuzuru's appearances on the media today.
A comment below talked about the translation:

This article does not reflect accurately what Yuzuru Hanyu actually said.

He did not “warn” his rivals that his results from last season were not a fluke, nor did he say “As Olympic champion I WANT PEOPLE TO REALISE that my gold medals were no coincidence — I won them because of my ability.”

Rather he said that coming into this season as the Sochi Olympic champion, he HOPES TO SKATE IN A WAY THAT CAN CONVINCE EVERYBODY last season was no fluke and that the results were a true reflection of his abilities.

In other words, he was just talking about what kind of performance he hopes to have this season, and not gloating or goading, as this article or its title would suggest.

I just wanted to make the distinction clear, so that this skater does not come across as an arrogant young man. Yuzuru Hanyu always shows a great deal of respect towards his competitors and skating fans, and is careful in the way he expresses himself.

Please be more thorough in how you translate the original words.