Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

giulia95

Medalist
His comment on how he hasn't been in love and is trying to understand the feeling through watching movie, and how he imagines the audience to be Juliet, whom he can't reach but want to meet is so cute.

:) sweet boy!

thank you very much for translation!

Poice

Final Flight
Very solid practices from Yuzuru today. Now I'm pretty confident that he can win Skate Canada. Can't wait for tomorrow SP.

phaeljones

On the Ice

When he skates at his very best, it is like he is in this "zone" with total focus to his skate so that the skate itself reaches out and has this incredible embracing effect on anyone watching. One really gets the sense, especially in the free from about 3 minutes onward, some switch has been flicked and that he has plugged into the zone. So beautiful to watch. When he skates the skate like that, it is magic.

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
Poor Yuzuru. :disapp:
He looked so sad in the K&C. I was worried before he started because he looked very nervous. He'll do better tomorrow I'm sure.

Poice

Final Flight
Poor Yuzuru. :disapp:
I was worried before he started because he looked very nervous. He'll do better tomorrow I'm sure.

Exactly! When I saw how nervously his looking at something/someone on the right I knew that it's going to be hard skate for him ;/
I do believe that he'll skate better during LP!

deedee1

Record Breaker
Yuzuru looked pale (again) to me... I hope it was just nervousnesss due to first showing of the season, not something with his health issues. Want to see Yuzu with his cheeks in pink and smiles tomorrow! :) Good luck to him in Free Skate! :yay:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Not Yuzuru best skate of this program, we know he can do much better. Looking forward to his FS!

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
Well not his best skate but he seemed to relax toward the end and it got better. :)

He looked so relieved when it was over! I hope he got all his nerves out here and can now skate his best for the rest of the season... and maybe decide on a different costume. Please? :laugh:

Becki

Medalist
Better make a mistakes here than later :), Am I the only one who do not think his costume is that bad?

I personally don't like this costume BUT if Yuzu likes it, then I won't mind.

Edit: okay, upon review his costume is OKAY close-up. It's very christmasy tho....

phaeljones

On the Ice
Better make a mistakes here than later :), Am I the only one who do not think his costume is that bad?

Regarding the costume, I actually like it. Aesthetically. But that aside: (As noted in another thread by an another contributor to this site,) it looks to be very much in line with the skating tradition of Russian men skaters who have taken inspiration from the ballet. Yuzuru Hanyu has always admired and taken a lot of his inspiration from Russian skaters. This costume is in line with doing that. It is also a wonderful personal, symbolic and literal statement of thanks to the great skater Johnny Weir (who he personally asked to design it), one of the two skaters in particular (the other being Plushenko) who Yuzuru Hanyu has separated out as inspirations to his skating. But to me, when I see him, knowing who he is, wearing this, it says that this a person who never forgets his friends, never backs down from defending them, and never turns his back on what has made him great (and he is great both in spirit and skating). When I read and see the criticism, some of which is fair opinion, but some of which really has a vile manifestation of intolerance, I also see standing against that someone who graceful in soul, who doesn't back down and has a spirit that cannot be broken. I see a skater wearing a costume that few others could wear or would dare wear even if they wanted to. I also see a lot of the fortitude that carries over into his skating. It isn't just his skating that puts Yuzuru above the pack, it is Yuzuru that puts his skating above the pack.

I am not making the above statements lightly or as a fan who only sees things through rose-coloured glasses. (I don't see things through rose-coloured glasses.) I have always tried to look at his skating (both exes and competitions) critically. Over time though, I have come to realize that everything this person does I am not going to understand because he is of the type who pushes the envelope. What he does is what accords to his principles. And what kind of struck me, when in the summer I went back through youtube and I was looking at older skater videos of several of the skaters, was that the fearlessness Hanyu displays in just standing his ground and doing what he does is what the great ones do and what also makes them great in our minds, more or less but more than less, not just over time but over a long time. He has qualities that are very special.

Life is not a straight trajectory. It is really a test of character. On both competition nights in this tournament, we saw an 18 year old man stand tall and never stop trying even when the switch wouldn't turn on. We all know that he can skate brilliantly when he is on, but really you don't really know a person's character until you see them experience defeat. His character held strong last night. This is not the first time either. As well, in the 2013 Worlds, he came back with one the grittiest and gnarliest and kind of beautiful in its own way skates for the fs. He didn't win, but he sure did not wilt. Time and time again, where there have been situations where other skaters would and have gone off on the rails (no names will be given here out of deference to principles of decency), he has not. I, for one, would be very pleased if he did not change his costume.

Regarding the skating mistakes, I so agree that it is better to get them out of the way here now than later. He seems, when he is at his best, to skate for the purpose of skating. He connects to something out of this world. He goes somewhere else and brings it to us. On Saturday and Friday, in trying to connect to his skate with his spirit, he just couldn't get out of St. John, poor soul. And that held him into a prison of tension. Meeting an enemy of this kind (ie the pressure) is not the biggest battle he has fought. I have faith that, over time, he will in those situations find a way to just ignore the pressure, plug into his skate, enjoy his skate and be his best.

Poice

Final Flight
phaeljones - I totally agree with you. I was not a fan of Yuzu's costume at first, but now I think it suits his slight figure, style and music. When he is at his best, he is the best in the world and you just can't take your eyes off him. To be honest - I'm quite satisfied with fact that he isn't at his best so early of the Olympic's season. There is still time and things to improve. I really want to see clean LP from him, because that could be even more amazing than his LP at Worlds 2012.

giulia95

Medalist
Regarding the costume, I actually like it. Aesthetically. But that aside: (As noted in another thread by an another contributor to this site,) it looks to be very much in line with the skating tradition of Russian men skaters who have taken inspiration from the ballet. Yuzuru Hanyu has always admired and taken a lot of his inspiration from Russian skaters. This costume is in line with doing that. It is also a wonderful personal, symbolic and literal statement of thanks to the great skater Johnny Weir (who he personally asked to design it), one of the two skaters in particular (the other being Plushenko) who Yuzuru Hanyu has separated out as inspirations to his skating. But to me, when I see him, knowing who he is, wearing this, it says that this a person who never forgets his friends, never backs down from defending them, and never turns his back on what has made him great (and he is great both in spirit and skating). When I read and see the criticism, some of which is fair opinion, but some of which really has a vile manifestation of intolerance, I also see standing against that someone who graceful in soul, who doesn't back down and has a spirit that cannot be broken. I see a skater wearing a costume that few others could wear or would dare wear even if they wanted to. I also see a lot of the fortitude that carries over into his skating. It isn't just his skating that puts Yuzuru above the pack, it is Yuzuru that puts his skating above the pack.

I am not making the above statements lightly or as a fan who only sees things through rose-coloured glasses. (I don't see things through rose-coloured glasses.) I have always tried to look at his skating (both exes and competitions) critically. Over time though, I have come to realize that everything this person does I am not going to understand because he is of the type who pushes the envelope. What he does is what accords to his principles. And what kind of struck me, when in the summer I went back through youtube and I was looking at older skater videos of several of the skaters, was that the fearlessness Hanyu displays in just standing his ground and doing what he does is what the great ones do and what also makes them great in our minds, more or less but more than less, not just over time but over a long time. He has qualities that are very special.

Life is not a straight trajectory. It is really a test of character. On both competition nights in this tournament, we saw an 18 year old man stand tall and never stop trying even when the switch wouldn't turn on. We all know that he can skate brilliantly when he is on, but really you don't really know a person's character until you see them experience defeat. His character held strong last night. This is not the first time either. As well, in the 2013 Worlds, he came back with one the grittiest and gnarliest and kind of beautiful in its own way skates for the fs. He didn't win, but he sure did not wilt. Time and time again, where there have been situations where other skaters would and have gone off on the rails (no names will be given here out of deference to principles of decency), he has not. I, for one, would be very pleased if he did not change his costume.

Regarding the skating mistakes, I so agree that it is better to get them out of the way here now than later. He seems, when he is at his best, to skate for the purpose of skating. He connects to something out of this world. He goes somewhere else and brings it to us. On Saturday and Friday, in trying to connect to his skate with his spirit, he just couldn't get out of St. John, poor soul. And that held him into a prison of tension. Meeting an enemy of this kind (ie the pressure) is not the biggest battle he has fought. I have faith that, over time, he will in those situations find a way to just ignore the pressure, plug into his skate, enjoy his skate and be his best.

I relly like your post, and I share with you the same vision about Hanyu as a person and as a skater...“ It isn't just his skating that puts Yuzuru above the pack, it is Yuzuru that puts his skating above the pack....

But this is the Oly season and actually posters who aren’t Yuzu’s fans are easily cutting Yuzu’s reputation in very little pieces in SA Men FS thread , which is quite understandable, while some of his fans are using the mantra refrain”next time it will be better, he will learn from this bad experience, it’s a good thing Yuzu hold his nerves in the K&C instead of crying Etc.” ,

Shall I say next time it will be better?

Unfortunately NOT, there’s no time left , and the kid can’t go on continuously struggling on his roller coaster climb to Sochi......

I hope some decisions will come at this point, i.e. about his PW SP which has turned out to be penalizing for him . In same way the team must rebuild Yuzu’s former reputation and support him full time the way he truly needs .

The impression is that the boy is lonely, lost into a prison of tension – as you said- and actually unable to share the pressure with his coach. Yuzu is very strong but needs a lot of help , I'm afraid he can’t manage all this pressure by himself till Sochi.

ser22

On the Ice
I do not agree.
He was only 18 years old. There is still time to improve. Not the team should always look for the error.
I like the SP. I'm glad he kept it.
It's just a race. Is not the end the season.

ser22

On the Ice
It's not Yuzu's peak form. Orser is not so stupid as to timing Yuzu's peak form season starting.
You can not compete in top form throughout the season.

Sorry my bad english.

ser22

On the Ice
Olympic champion Evgeni Plushenko shared his opinion about the Japanese skater Yuzuru Han are , took 2nd place at the recent Canadian Grand Prix .

" Han are very graceful , refined, while Yuzuru thin and incredibly fast . He's a great skater Yuzuru for me now - number one . He has great speed , great choreography and charisma he has not taken away.

I really like it. But while the Han are still very young, what he lacks , he has reached in a few years. He needs to go for a drive . Yuzuru - the future of figure skating "- said Plushenko in the air" Eurosport ".