Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 231 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

Windy

Rinkside
I think R&J 2 is actually quite an artistic program... look at the pef this year at Saitama when he finally landed all of his jumps, he skated with much more emotions and feelings, i really like his World this year I think it's beautiful. Maybe he just need more time to get use to the program, master the technical side then develop the artistic side. If he is allowed to keep R&J 2 another season who knows if it will become many people's ultimate fav program ;)

Also I hope Orser doesn't push him to skate to more "mature" program this season, youth only comes once they should take advantage of it when they still can.

FTnoona

Final Flight
It's not like Wilson is the only choreographer that can make COP savvy programs. If Hanyu and his team were to only choose choreographers with a wining track record, he would never have given Buttle a chance and PW would never have happened. Wilson choreographs the jumps where it will benefit Hanyu the most, but credit should also go to Hanyu for his amazing jumping ability that makes the layout Wilson gives him worth while. Wilson choreographs Fernandez's programs too, but because he has a tendency to pop his jumps, he doesn't benefit from his layout as much as Hanyu who more than not always rotates his jumps. Zoueva might have given D/W and V/M "artistic" programs, but in according to the rules of ice dancing, they were also technically challenging. She wasn't only catering to the "artistic" side. I personally feel that as long as a choreographer gives him a layout that maximizes the TES, he's still going to be winning medals and his PCS will still be through the roof as long as he lands his jumps.

Klarnet

On the Ice
What all the fuss about choreo,choreographer's job is just to allocate given elements through the program, but it's mostly coach and Yuzuru himself who decide on the layout. Bluntly, in Yuzu's case choreo is not that important, hence probably under any choreographer he'll succeed, as soon as he keeps that level of difficulty and keeps getting high PCS scores

jimeonji

Final Flight
I guess with some of you we will need to agree to disagree - it seems that we understand the basis of figure skating in a different way. (and perhaps I am judging programs based too much on my own emotion - but Klarnet is right, the choreographer does not decide the jump layout)
However, I will maintain that Yuzu is overscored in PCS.

Meoima

Match Penalty
If the kid want to win, he has to keep the current layout and I don't see him watering down the program of this season. About his PCS being too high I think we should take a look at PChan, Javi and Machida's PCS. I think the high PCS is just away the judges separate the poidum with the rest. With his TES actually he doesn't need such PCS but once tey gave out that level of PCS for PChan, they can't give him too low.

alia jackson

Record Breaker
I guess with some of you we will need to agree to disagree - it seems that we understand the basis of figure skating in a different way. (and perhaps I am judging programs based too much on my own emotion - but Klarnet is right, the choreographer does not decide the jump layout)

The rest of the guys PCS almost same as Yuzu as well (apart from Chan of course for his better SS)

World 2014 SP (TES) (PCS) (Ded) (Total)
#1 Tatsuki MACHIDA (52.82) (45.39) (0) (98.21)
#2 Javier FERNANDEZ (51.43) (44.99) (0) (96.42)
#3 Yuzuru HANYU (46.74) (45.50) (-1) (91.24)

World 2014 LP
#1 Yuzuru HANYU (99.93) (91.42) (0) (191.35)
#2 Tatsuki MACHIDA (93.85) (90.20) (0) (184.05)
#3 Javier FERNANDEZ (88.33) (91.18) (0) (179.51)

Olympic 2014 SP
#1 Yuzuru HANYU (54.84) (46.61) (0) (101.45)
#2 Patrick CHAN (50.34) (47.18) (0) (97.52)
#3 Javier FERNANDEZ (43.87) (43.11) (0) (86.98)

Olympic 2014 LP
#1 Yuzuru HANYU (89.66) (90.98) (-2) (178.64)
#2 Patrick CHAN (85.40) (92.70) (0) (178.10)
#3 Dennis TEN (88.90) (82.14) (0) (171.04)

GPF 2013 SP
#1 Yuzuru HANYU (54.52) (45.32) (0) (99.84)
#2 Patrick CHAN (42.79) (44.68) (0) (87.47)
#3 Nobunari ODA (41.76) (40.18) (-1) (80.94)

GPF 2013 LP
#1 Yuzuru HANYU (102.03) (92.38) (-1) (193.41)
#2 Patrick CHAN (97.13) (95.48) 0 (192.61)
#3 Nobunari ODA (91.58) (84.44) (-1) (175.02)

annca

On the Ice
i'll stand by to what i said on another thread that placement is important for me. so if you think the other skaters deserved 90's then so does yuzu. if you think yuzu's pcs are overscored then so does everybody else.
as arakawa had explained on the new subbed video by a very kind fan on tumblr :), "being able to complete a skate with a difficult jump layout will be awarded in the pcs." so i think yuzu's monstrous tes actually helps on pulling up his pcs scores.

HanDomi

Record Breaker

Oh, please... If we want to talkg about overscoring PCS then we can start counting sktaters from top being overscored on PCS starting from PChan. Gap on PCS between him and Pchan is very right at the moment. I couldn't accept situation when he would be around 10 points back on PCS comparing to PChan. They raised PChan PCS lvl to astronomical levels, and only what they could do is to balance the gap between top skaters as it should be.
Everyone is talking skating skills, skating skills as an argument of PChan PCS. Skating skills is not the only factor in PCS. And Yuzuru's skating skills developed hugely. He will not look on the ice as PChan looks, because he have totally diffrent body build., but his skills are great.

Klarnet

On the Ice
Ohhhh, thank you. The form of his head and cheeks looks a lot like Yuzuru´s, the same hair .... haha. He looks young for someone that most be almost at 50s. (Counting that Saya is 24 now). Now I wonder if he is tall

Klarnet what´s the number in yens means 909500yens? and 1757.

Again thanks.

I don't know Japanese, maybe someone who knows can answer better. All I know is it is something about money (909500 yen) gathered by people (1757 people) to support Yuzuru

figureskateobasan

On the Ice
I don't know Japanese, maybe someone who knows can answer better. All I know is it is something about money (909500 yen) gathered by people (1757 people) to support Yuzuru

It's a project called "Hometown supporting Yuzuru Hanyu"or something like that. His hometown gathering money from people for about a month and they gave the money to his dad. From a quick google research, it seems like they gathered it to help Yuzuru buy/make/design his costumes and all his expenses for figure skating.

echotpe

On the Ice
For those who haven't seen Yuzuru's father http://i.imgur.com/lpPxJkh.jpg

The news is about another story how Sendai-wide people support for Yuzu’s Olympic competition.

Yuzu’s father is born and studies in Tome (Miyagi), a small city 70 km away from Sendai. His classmates and community people there raised a donation activity last December for Yuzu – "one person with 500 yen."

During a month period, they collected amount of 909,500 yen from 1,757 persons. (It seemed someone donated more than 500 yen.) Yuzu’s father represented Hanyu family to accept this donation with much gratuity.

Yuzu is really blessing by his hometown people. :agree:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
The news is about another story how Sendai-wide people support for Yuzu’s Olympic competition.

Yuzu’s father is born and studies in Tome (Miyagi), a small city 70 km away from Sendai. His classmates and community people there raised a donation activity last December for Yuzu – "one person with 500 yen."

During a month period, they collected amount of 909,500 yen from 1,757 persons. (It seemed someone donated more than 500 yen.) Yuzu’s father represented Hanyu family to accept this donation with much gratuity.

Yuzu is really blessing by his hometown people. :agree:

:3 that´s really nice, thanks for the translation. He really was supported by the people of Sendai and Japan.

Also thanks figureskateobasan and klarnet.

echotpe

On the Ice
The rest of the guys PCS almost same as Yuzu as well (apart from Chan of course for his better SS)...

Your post reminded me a chart made by Yuzuru Forum at Baidu. They calculated his overall scores in past five seasons. We can see his gradual progress with certain pace.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t31.0-8/s851x315/10295083_10203168660072318_7989297019118533377_o.jpg

The average scores in past five seasons is:
205.67 (09-10)
212.80 (10-11)
238.27 (11-12)
251.43 (12-13)
269.99 (13-14)

By the upcoming season, what will he bring to us in the end? Challenge higher scores or maintain with stability? :think:

giulia95

Medalist
Your post reminded me a chart made by Yuzuru Forum at Baidu. They calculated his overall scores in past five seasons. We can see his gradual progress with certain pace.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t31.0-8/s851x315/10295083_10203168660072318_7989297019118533377_o.jpg

The average scores in past five seasons is:
205.67 (09-10)
212.80 (10-11)
238.27 (11-12)
251.43 (12-13)
269.99 (13-14)

By the upcoming season, what will he bring to us? Challenge higher scores or maintain with stability? :think:

it's interesting to notice that the biggest progress happened to be in the earthquake season : + 26 points.

No doubt Yuzu would respond "challange higher" to your question! :laugh:

SuzyQ

Medalist
I read somewhere that it was Orser Team's intention to give Yuzuru practice-wise programs because they thought Yuzuru was still young and not matured, and needed improving in many ways. And the Notre Dame was the one for that purpose, with so many challenging elements. Maybe it sacrificed artistry to some extent. And PW was the one to find his sex appeal :biggrin: Orser asked Buttle to stir up Yuzuru (Sorry, I don't know the original English expression as I read this in Japanese)

And, R&J2, I think, was the program to win over Pchan, with some ideas of Yuzuru himself. He said he used a calculator for deciding the elements :laugh:

I heard David Wilson is a choreographer who allows some sort of freedom by skaters in doing his program, not like Lori Nichol who does not like the skaters arrange her program.

I like R&J2. The latter half is so emotional, especially the semicircular Ina Bauer :love:, making me almost cry.

When I saw R&J1 as his EX at the Worlds, I felt something missing, not completely satisfied with it. It was of course beautiful with his improved skating, but it was not that.

What I realized was, R&J1 was the program for Yuzuru of 17 years old. Not yet matured, but it WAS the point attracted people with such unmatured emotion, as the British commentator noted.

Now he is 19, and still progressing. I'm sure he can find the way to improve further. Now his skating skill has been improved a lot, so I think the Orser and his team can give him programs with more artistry with room to breathe.

We can just see what would happen. In any case, he is still 19. He has enough time for try and error.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
it's interesting to notice that the biggest progress happened to be in the earthquake season : + 26 points.
Correct me if I´m wrong but this was the first time Yuzuru worked with choreographer other than Nanami. Didn´t him?

And, R&J2, I think, was the program to win over Pchan, with some ideas of Yuzuru himself. He said he used a calculator for deciding the elements
Sounds like the Yuzuru we all know and love

What I realized was, R&J1 was the program for Yuzuru of 17 years old. Not yet matured, but it WAS the point attracted people with such unmatured emotion, as the British commentator noted.

Now he is 19, and still progressing. I'm sure he can find the way to improve further. Now his skating skill has been improved a lot, so I think the Orser and his team can give him programs with more artistry with room to breathe.
Here is, by the time he has 23y/o his R&J 3.0 will be amazing!!!!!