Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 254 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

ayarose

On the Ice
I like and admire Yuzuru as a person, I am always in awe when I see him pushing the technical limits but I am not a fan of his skating style yet; I prefer other skaters over him, such as Takahiko, Tatsuki and Shoma but this is only based on personal tastes (Shoma is nowhere near Yuzuru's level and once again I'm able to admit that even if I like him more). However I'm still keeping my eyes on Yuzuru's development and maybe one day I can add him on my favorites list :biggrin:

I kinda feel the same way about him. If you ask me who my fave skater is, i'll straight away answer Dai-chan. But Yuzu is a beautiful person whom I can relate to personality wise. I love them equally for different reasons, in fact the only skating goods I have are of the both of them. Can't wait for July so D1SK won't be alone on my shelf.

ioanna

Record Breaker
I kinda feel the same way about him. If you ask me who my fave skater is, i'll straight away answer Dai-chan. But Yuzu is a beautiful person whom I can relate to personality wise. I love them equally for different reasons, in fact the only skating goods I have are of the both of them. Can't wait for July so D1SK won't be alone on my shelf.
Thank you ayarose, you've put it very beautifully. I have tremendous respect for every team Japan member, and this of course includes Yuzuru.

My personal tastes are generally inclined towards expressive and artistic skating styles and Yuzuru thinks this is a field he has room left to improve, as he said after this year's Worlds. Knowing this, I'm looking forward to seeing his improvements! He is very young and he can do anything.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
A bit surprised today.

Yuzuru said in the interview of "Figure Skate Days Vol. 18" that he has decided to retire after PyeongChang Olympics, at the age of 23 (from the competition, I think) :scratch:

http://ameblo.jp/atomu5551/entry-11849177696.html

But, Daisuke also was trying to retire after Vancouver, anyway. God only knows.

I'm actually not very surprised, he already has achieved a lot so it's normal if he wants to do something else and live a normal life, but many things can happen in 4 years so maybe he changes his mind, if he medals again at 2018 I think he will likely retire.

Nicky_10

Rinkside
Found this on twitter. Guess is about FaOI, can someone translate please?
https://twitter.com/yuzu_cocco/status/475786398071402496/photo/1

Just a fast translation... note that my english grammar is not best to begin with, and seems to disappear completely when I translate from japanese...

Enthusiastic performance by Hanyu to (Hiromi) Go's song
Ice Show in Makuhari -
Yuzuru Hanyu (ANA), gold medalist during sochi winter olympic games in male figure skating, who performed in the ice show 「Fantasy on Ice」that was held in Makuhari Messe eventhall in Chiba prefecture, on the 7th, showed an enthusiastic performance to the special guest Hiromi Go's ballade song 「Ienai yo」.
In the talkshow, where Daisuke Takahashi (Kandai Daigaku In?) announced a break for next season, Hanyu said "I want to borrow this place (time) and say thank you" while reporting his gold medal. Presenting olympic short program (SP) 「Parisienne Walkways」he excited the audience.
In the show also appeared Tatsuki Machida (Kandai?), silver medalist during World in March, and Kanako Murakami (Chukyodai?), Akiko Suzuki, who recently retired, and Miki Ando.

Under the picture is written: Yuzuru Hanyu, who showed his smile during the talkshow in Fantasy on Ice, on the left side Daisuke Takahashi - Makuhari Messe

ayarose

On the Ice
Just a fast translation... note that my english grammar is not best to begin with, and seems to disappear completely when I translate from japanese...

Enthusiastic performance by Hanyu to (Hiromi) Go's song
Ice Show in Makuhari -
Yuzuru Hanyu (ANA), gold medalist during sochi winter olympic games in male figure skating, who performed in the ice show 「Fantasy on Ice」that was held in Makuhari Messe eventhall in Chiba prefecture, on the 7th, showed an enthusiastic performance to the special guest Hiromi Go's ballade song 「Ienai yo」.
In the talkshow, where Daisuke Takahashi (Kandai Daigaku In?) announced a break for next season, Hanyu said "I want to borrow this place (time) and say thank you" while reporting his gold medal. Presenting olympic short program (SP) 「Parisienne Walkways」he excited the audience.
In the show also appeared Tatsuki Machida (Kandai?), silver medalist during World in March, and Kanako Murakami (Chukyodai?), Akiko Suzuki, who recently retired, and Miki Ando.

Under the picture is written: Yuzuru Hanyu, who showed his smile during the talkshow in Fantasy on Ice, on the left side Daisuke Takahashi - Makuhari Messe

Thank you for the translation. Kandai & Chukyodai are short for Kansai Daigaku and Chukyo Daigaku (University)

makaihime

Final Flight
i hope he is just being vague but his program layout is physically demanding so it won't be surprising if he does. although i think that will eventually depend on how is the Japanese skating scene by then. he might feel indebted and decides to stick around a little longer.

This is pretty much what I expect to happen as well. Depending on his own results and the status of the Japanese men after 2018, he might stick around because of his sense of responsibility. Whichever he decides, I just hope he's happy :) He deserves at least that much.

annca

On the Ice
ive been watching cbc versions of yuzu's 2013-2014 season on niconico..during his fs at teb 2013 ( www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm22359315)   

before he finishes, kurt and co. said that yuzu is a mercurial skater who wears his heart on his see through sleeves (lol) and said that talent, speed, athlete, artist... and only 18 years old.

hearing them say that i realize alot of people tend underestimate what can he do.   i find it unfair that some tend to mislabel yuzuru as someone who can only do jumps just because he can do them more than the others. as others (and some professionals as well) have said, yuzuru is an emotional skater and he is one of the artistic skaters out there. well.. maybe not as great as dai but surely not behind the others. he may have shown to be favoring his technical side more than artistic interpretation  at times but i thought people here have actually seen the many times he favors the latter or does both.
i kinda find it ironic when we tend to argue about his lack of artistry when skaters of any age chooses him because they say he can combine both the technical and artistry in his programs.

well.. maybe yuzu doing his 4t 3a^x sequences doesnt do my argument any justice (lol)  but still! we get fixated on looking for something that he lacks when we tend to forget that he's only 19 and still has time to grow.

not gonna lie (i only started to watch mens event during vancouver olys and only know the medalists, zhenya, super tanned evan and adorable dai). im one of dai's so called fans that hated someone whoever came on top over him but yuzu gained my respect during worlds championships 2014 when he showed every critic out there that he can fight through. and that for me is worthy enough to be a champ and worthy enough for me to adore him just like i adore dai ;)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
ive been watching cbc versions of yuzu's 2013-2014 season on niconico..during his fs at teb 2013 ( www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm22359315)   

before he finishes, kurt and co. said that yuzu is a merculiar skater who wears his heart on his see through sleeves (lol) and said that talent, speed, athlete, artist... and only 18 years old.  

hearing them say that i realize alot of people tend underestimate what can he do.   i find it unfair that some tend to mislabel yuzuru as someone who can only do jumps just because he can do them more than the others. as others (and some professionals as well) have said, yuzuru is an emotional skater and he is one of the artistic skaters out there. well.. maybe not as great as dai but surely not behind the others. he may have shown to be favoring his technical side more than artistic interpretation  at times but i thought people here have actually seen the many times he favors the latter or does both.
i kinda find it ironic when we tend to argue about his lack of artistry when skaters of any age chooses him because they say he can combine both the technical and artistry in his programs.

well.. maybe yuzu doing his 4t 3a^x sequences doesnt do my argument any justice (lol)  but still! we get fixated on looking for something that he lacks when we tend to forget that he's only 19 and still has time to grow.

Yuzu may not be as polished or sophisticated right now as, say, Tatsuki or Dai, but you can tell he feels the music and skates with passion. So to me, he is an artistic skater. I think there are many ways to define artistry in skating just as there are different styles of music, dance, painting, etc. Of course, the judges may have a more narrow view of things and Yuzu is still a "diamond in the rough." It will be exciting to see how he develops; I just hope he can refine his skating without ever losing that passion (I don't really think that he will...I believe he knows he was born for this, like his hero Plushenko.)

Windy

Rinkside
@ anna: Not gonna lie, your post's made me cried a bit, a tiny little bit, haha :')

I'm one of those casual fans that only watch figure skating once every 4 years and know very little about skating technicalities (even till today a tripple flip and a tripple lutz look almost the same in my eyes, tbh) so the things that drew me to Yuzuru were, of course: his skating style, his passion and fighting spirit on ice (and once I got to know about his story & personality, I was officially hooked). His artistry may be not so obvious/transparent like Daisuke's or Stephany Lambiel's, but it's always been there. It touched me, and it made me feel something. There are some programs of his that can cheer, lift me up on my down/discouraged days, e.g Change, Hana ni nare. There are programs that inspire me in my work (and life in general), e.g R&J 1, Etude, White legend...

I just want to say that, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and artistry is subjective, but to me Yuzuru is a beautiful and artistic skater. That, plus his wonderful personality, is why I love him.

u-chan

Spectator
@ anna: Not gonna lie, your post's made me cried a bit, a tiny little bit, haha :')

I'm one of those casual fans that only watch figure skating once every 4 years and know very little about skating technicalities (even till today a tripple flip and a tripple lutz look almost the same in my eyes, tbh) so the things that drew me to Yuzuru were, of course: his skating style, his passion and fighting spirit on ice (and once I got to know about his story & personality, I was officially hooked). His artistry may be not so obvious/transparent like Daisuke's or Stephany Lambiel's, but it's always been there. It touched me, and it made me feel something. There are some programs of his that can cheer, lift me up on my down/discouraged days, e.g Change, Hana ni nare. There are programs that inspire me in my work (and life in general), e.g R&J 1, Etude, White legend...

I just want to say that, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and artistry is subjective, but to me Yuzuru is a beautiful and artistic skater. That, plus his wonderful personality, is why I love him.

Yes!! Evidently, Yuzuru is a wonderful athlete and a artistic skater who impress many people.Listen to the commentators. That's all. I was looking many skaters since I was a child, and I can say Yuzuru is the impressive skater technically and artistically(personally, too). He is 19, he is learning a lot like other skaters. I don't have English vocabulary, but I wanted to say something, excuse me,,,,. I can't understand why some people say ooo is better than Yuzuru all the way,,,,He is an olimpic champion, world champion, judges also admitted.( Maybe they are unwilling to admit defeat?? I'm sorry,,please forgive me)
We can say" I like his skating style," or "this skater", but please go to the other site and post if you want to say "I'm a big fan of ooo, not Yuzuru, I prefer ooo to Yuzuru. :rolleye:

echotpe

On the Ice
Actually, I was a little shock when I watch the blatant unfriendly to Yuzu in his new ex video and could not bear to look the scene after repeating the performance. But one day later, I felt sorry to the lady because her dislike behavior was broadcast nationwide, regardless of whether she was conscious of it.

Life is never easy. Accepting the decline of process is painful, for oneself or anyone you admire. This kind of hostility toward to Yuzu was discussed in some fan forums, here and there. But it’s good to outbreak the issue and then we can see someone related to take actions to give a strong supporting message to Yuzu. Anyway, I hope those fans will find a new beloved skater while the generation shifts silently and continue to enjoy the beauty of fs.

By the way, Yuzu played a cheesy joke with Nobu posted in latter’s tweet yesterday.

Yuzu asked Nobu what music he is listening recently. Nobu answered with a J-pop band named “HY”. The young man is soon responsive: “Oh, you are listening to H(anyu) Y(uzuru)!” :eek:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Actually, I was a little shock when I watch the blatant unfriendly to Yuzu at his new ex video and could not bear to look the scene after repeating the performance. But one day later, I felt sorry to the lady because her dislike behavior was broadcast nationwide, regardless of whether she was conscious of it.
You lost me. What happened?

u-chan

Spectator
Actually, I was a little shock when I watch the blatant unfriendly to Yuzu at his new ex video and could not bear to look the scene after repeating the performance. But one day later, I felt sorry to the lady because her dislike behavior was broadcast nationwide, regardless of whether she was conscious of it.

Life is never easy. Accepting the decline of process is painful, for oneself or anyone you admire. This kind of hostility toward to Yuzu was discussed in some fan forums, here and there. But it’s good to outbreak the issue and then we can see someone related to take actions to give a strong supporting message to Yuzu. Anyway, I hope those fans will find a new beloved skater while the generation shift silently and continue to enjoy the beauty of fs.

By the way, Yuzu played a cheesy joke with Nobu posted in latter’s tweet yesterday.

Yuzu asked Nobu what music he is listening recently. Nobu answered with a J-pop band named “HY”. The young man is soon responsive: “Oh, you are listening to H(anyu) Y(uzuru)!” :eek:

Me,too. I was very sad and afraid if Yuzuru felt sad. I'm still suffering because I remember some bad and sad actions of childish fans of other skater(even when Yuzuru was 16 or 17 years old). I want to protect him. How can I do?
I believe Yuzuru's fan is more polite and pure like 'him'.

hahahaha:laugh: Thanks Nobu. You always make him laugh. I hope he is OK, cheerful and happy now.

Esopian

Final Flight
After 3.11, maybe the time before going to Canada, I remember he said he would like to be a top skater for long, just like Plushenko. And, he said recently, "Half-half (50/50)", imitating Mao.

So, I was just surprised he said so expressly about the retirement after another 4 years.
He mentioned in the interview about some sort of vacancy after the Olympics. Maybe he said this because he has actually experienced the Olympics. But I reiterate. Only God knows.

Yeah, I agree. Especially at his age, he likes to make decisions and tend to change his mind later on (indecisiveness is part of human nature). Also, I feel like it'll be fine if he retires then because his body has been holding on for so long; he needs a permanent break.

An alternate situation would be: Yuzu still has the will to compete when he's 23 and continues because he loves figure skating. But even if he retires from competition, he can still perform at ice shows which is a good substitute.

So we shouldn't be concerned with what he announces now.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^Four years is a long time. ;) He could change his mind by then. Plushenko "retired" at 23, but he came back.

And as things stand, Yuzu has a good chance to become the first consecutive men's Olympic champion since Dick Button. If he dominates for the next four years and wins in 2018, yeah, it's likely he'll retire. He will have achieved something nearly incomparable.

At least Yuzu will continue for four years. Whereas other young winners--Tara Lipinski, Ilia Kulik, Oksana Baiul--did not.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I feel like Yuzuru just really loves skating and competing, and continues bc of his personal passion instead because he wants to win the big medals and call it a day.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Yes!! Evidently, Yuzuru is a wonderful athlete and a artistic skater who impress many people.Listen to the commentators. That's all. I was looking many skaters since I was a child, and I can say Yuzuru is the impressive skater technically and artistically(personally, too). He is 19, he is learning a lot like other skaters. I don't have English vocabulary, but I wanted to say something, excuse me,,,,. I can't understand why some people say ooo is better than Yuzuru all the way,,,,He is an olimpic champion, world champion, judges also admitted.( Maybe they are unwilling to admit defeat?? I'm sorry,,please forgive me)
We can say" I like his skating style," or "this skater", but please go to the other site and post if you want to say "I'm a big fan of ooo, not Yuzuru, I prefer ooo to Yuzuru. :rolleye:
I still don't see which parts of my posts were offensive. But I apologize if I offended you.