Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 255 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

glenncoco

Rinkside
ioanap, just chiming in to say I've enjoyed your posts in this thread and other threads. I don't think you said anything offensive and have been very complimentary towards Yuzuru. It is possible to like more than one skater at a time, just sayin' ;)

At least Yuzu will continue for four years. Whereas other young winners--Tara Lipinski, Ilia Kulik, Oksana Baiul--did not.
Wasn't Tara riddled with injuries after her OGM? I don't count it against those women that they didn't continue in the sport, however. I follow gymnasts, and the women have such a comparatively short peak period than the men it's sad. That said, it's quite exciting to know that there will at least 4 years to follow Yuzuru's career and development. With gymnastics, it's kind of a nail biter if my favorites from the 2012 Olympics will even have the skills and stamina to compete with all the young up and comers for a spot on the next team - and they were even younger than Yuzuru when they first went to the Olympics! Who knows what the future holds for Yuzu, but at right now I can see him fulfilling his ambition to be near unbeatable. It's exciting.

annca

On the Ice
@windy.. aww. thank you for appreciating what i have to say :).

@gallavich... yes, it'll be exciting to watch how much he can grow as a skater from now on and i hope he doesnt lose his passion along the way :)

SuzyQ

Medalist
Don't worry Ioanap, I find nothing you said offensive at all. Chill out! :)
I also love both Dai and Yuzuru, and PChan. no conflict at all.

Anyways, this is Nobu imitating the kid ending pose of his SP: http://instagram.com/p/pCF_LKkSDu/

:laugh:

After all, Nobunari is a typical Kansai-jin (person from Kansai area especially Osaka).
Almost all the people of Osaka are born comedians, so I hear :laugh:
Actually lots of famous Japanese comedians are from Osaka.

Kanako Murakami (although she is from Nagoya) once said that she likes (Akashiya) Sanma-san, and (Shofukutei) Tsurube-san among celebrities because she likes comedies. They are both famous Japanese comedians, and you can see Sanma-san in this video with Nobunari, and Tsurube-san on Nobunari's Twitter.

Apparently, Yuzuru is not Kanako's type :rofl:

The title 殿のパリ散(笑) Tono no Pari-san (Warai) made me laugh too.

It means Tono's Parisienne Walkways (LOL)

Tono = Nobunari's nickname meaning "Master", "Sire", "Your/His Majesty" in Shogunate, because he is a descendent of ODA NOBUNAGA, famous Japanese warlord.

Pari-san = Shortened "Pari no Sanpomichi" = Parisienne Walkways

It takes me time to explain how funny it is :laugh:

yude

Record Breaker
Am I still allowed to say simply that I like Yuzuru and his skating the most in the TJ and in the whole world, and that I respect him the most for what he is and what he does now in this Yuzuru's FanFest for the ubers :biggrin:?

There is a thread for the Team Japan, so can we talk about the other Japanese skaters there? I think it's more convinent to discuss them as a whole team, free to compare and show our preferences. But I am not an administrator or moderator, so it is just my opinion :)

annca

On the Ice
There is a thread for the Team Japan, so can we talk about the other Japanese skaters there?

oh no.. i didnt mean to end up talking about another skater on this thread. i was just explaining on how i ended up adoring yuzu,, but i'll take it down right away

Pamigena

Record Breaker
(please don't read the following just as an answer to you specifically, yude, it's more of a general observation)

Am I still allowed to say simply that I like Yuzuru and his skating the most in the TJ and in the whole world, and that I respect him the most for what he is and what he does now in this Yuzuru's FanFest for the ubers :biggrin:?
sure you're allowed :biggrin: but I honestly don't see why both groups of people couldn't coexist here peacefully. So far it has worked just fine.

Sure, this is the fan fest and the place for people who want to gush over a particular skater. But I honestly hope that doesn't mean that one's only allowed to offer an opinion if it contains unrestricted praise for Yuzuru's perfection.

I know we're supposed to "keep posts positive" in the fan fest. But I fail to see how a critical comparison with other skaters is something purely negative. I'd hardly call it Yuzu-bashing if someone says "I love the kid and this or that is great about him, but I still like so and so better, because..." Especially if it's usually followed by some version of "but the kid is so young, he can still get there"

Like Yuzuru himself wouldn't point out his shortcomings and compare himself to other skaters. Are we also not allowed to acknowledge that in the fan fest? Do we have to go "no, you're perfect and all the others stink compared to you"? Can people no longer say that they don't like the choreography of a certain program or (to chose a popular topic) that they don't like some of his costumes?
Am I the only one who thinks that this sounds really really boring?

99% of the posts here are about how much he's loved and adored anyway. As much as I love the kid, but he's still human and not perfect. Pointing that out once in a while doesn't mean that I love him any less.

just my two cents, feel free to disagree.
(and sorry about the lengthy rant, I just really fail to see the problem this seems to become)

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I still don't see which parts of my posts were offensive. But I apologize if I offended you.

ionap, I don't find your posts offensive and in fact I'm grateful for your timely updates.

oh no.. i didnt mean to end up talking about another skater on this thread. i was just explaining on how i ended up adoring yuzu,, but i'll take it down right away

annca, I think your post rightfully belongs to this thread. :)

Personally, my being a Yuzuru fan has led me to be more appreciative of other skaters like his TJ teammates and his idols, Johnny Weir and Evgeni Plushenko. As I've posted before, and echoing what the B. Esp commentators have said, I believe he can be the finest figure skater in history, combining the best qualities of all other skaters. I hope and pray he stays injury-free and keeps his motivation to fulfill his immense potential.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Pamina, thank you for your post.

I just wanted to add, from the point of view of a person who is not as much of a fan of his skating style as fellow posters in this thread, that Yuzuru as a competitor has the potential of becoming a legend of this sport. I can see it in him and he has everything he needs to succeed. An incredible psychological strength, an incredible talent, an incredible potential, an incredible coach, and an incredible team. Of course it is still too early to say how things will turn out but he will hopefully stay injury free and healthy because that's probably the only thing that can threaten his development. As I also follow gymnastics, I would say he has the potential to become the Kohei Uchimura of figure skating.

The fact that there are still aspects of his skating that can be improved is actually a positive thing - because we can see the way he is going to develop, the way he is going to mature. I'm sure everyone, as well as himself, would want the Yuzuru Hanyu of Pyeongchang to be a lot better than the Yuzuru Hanyu of Sochi. Refined. Complete.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
(please don't read the following just as an answer to you specifically, yude, it's more of a general observation)

sure you're allowed :biggrin: but I honestly don't see why both groups of people couldn't coexist here peacefully. So far it has worked just fine.

Sure, this is the fan fest and the place for people who want to gush over a particular skater. But I honestly hope that doesn't mean that one's only allowed to offer an opinion if it contains unrestricted praise for Yuzuru's perfection.

I know we're supposed to "keep posts positive" in the fan fest. But I fail to see how a critical comparison with other skaters is something purely negative. I'd hardly call it Yuzu-bashing if someone says "I love the kid and this or that is great about him, but I still like so and so better, because..." Especially if it's usually followed by some version of "but the kid is so young, he can still get there"

Like Yuzuru himself wouldn't point out his shortcomings and compare himself to other skaters. Are we also not allowed to acknowledge that in the fan fest? Do we have to go "no, you're perfect and all the others stink compared to you"? Can people no longer say that they don't like the choreography of a certain program or (to chose a popular topic) that they don't like some of his costumes?
Am I the only one who thinks that this sounds really really boring?

99% of the posts here are about how much he's loved and adored anyway. As much as I love the kid, but he's still human and not perfect. Pointing that out once in a while doesn't mean that I love him any less.

just my two cents, feel free to disagree.
(and sorry about the lengthy rant, I just really fail to see the problem this seems to become)

Pamina, thank you for your post.

I just wanted to add, from the point of view of a person who is not as much of a fan of his skating style as fellow posters in this thread, that Yuzuru as a competitor has the potential of becoming a legend of this sport. I can see it in him and he has everything he needs to succeed. An incredible psychological strength, an incredible talent, an incredible potential, an incredible coach, and an incredible team. Of course it is still too early to say how things will turn out but he will hopefully stay injury free and healthy because that's probably the only thing that can threaten his development. As I also follow gymnastics, I would say he has the potential to become the Kohei Uchimura of figure skating.

The fact that there are still aspects of his skating that can be improved is actually a positive thing - because we can see the way he is going to develop, the way he is going to mature. I'm sure everyone, as well as himself, would want the Yuzuru Hanyu of Pyeongchang to be a lot better than the Yuzuru Hanyu of Sochi. Refined. Complete.

Well said Pamina and ionap!

annca

On the Ice
i dont know if this was ever posted here before (its hard to keep track lol) but can someone confirm if this picture was during his final lutz.
when he landed it cleanly he was facing away from the camera and i swore he celebrated a little bit. i have always wondered what he looked like when he did the fist thing after the lutz haha

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Wasn't Tara riddled with injuries after her OGM? I don't count it against those women that they didn't continue in the sport, however. I follow gymnasts, and the women have such a comparatively short peak period than the men it's sad. That said, it's quite exciting to know that there will at least 4 years to follow Yuzuru's career and development. With gymnastics, it's kind of a nail biter if my favorites from the 2012 Olympics will even have the skills and stamina to compete with all the young up and comers for a spot on the next team - and they were even younger than Yuzuru when they first went to the Olympics! Who knows what the future holds for Yuzu, but at right now I can see him fulfilling his ambition to be near unbeatable. It's exciting.
Yes, Tara and Oksana kinda had no choice but to retire (due to injuries and finances, respectively). I'm just expressing my gratitude that Yuzu didn't do--didn't need to do--the same. I don't hold their retirements against them; I'm a rare Michelle Kwan fan who believes Tara won fairly in Nagano, and I think Oksana Baiul is possibly the most artistic skater out there (too bad her life turned out to be such a trainwreck). I'm a bit :bang: about Kulik because he retired without even winning Worlds. I know he'll probably be relegated to Russian #3 by SLC, but he could've at least won the 1998 and 2000 titles, considering Yagudin basically won those by default.

I guess I personally don't care if people "go out on top." Ten years after their retirement, nobody cares if a skater won their last competition. I mean, I don't see people ragging on Urmanov and Stojko for staying beyond Lillehammer and Nagano with little success. (They get ragged on for other reasons... like their styles of skating. ;) ) So if your body's up to it, I'd rather skaters give it a go.

Not sure about women having shorter peaks than men. The problem is whether they can get through puberty. If they cross that hurdle, I don't see a vast difference. Men and women alike tend to go on a downward trend at around 23, with a few late bloomers being exceptions.

Pamigena

Record Breaker
I'm sure everyone, as well as himself, would want the Yuzuru Hanyu of Pyeongchang to be a lot better than the Yuzuru Hanyu of Sochi. Refined. Complete.
You got that right ;) and I'd certainly hope that we can all agree on that

annca

On the Ice
to change the topic a bit.. is zhenya going to take part on yuzu's ice show in sendai? they were speculating about it on twitter, but last time i checked he wasnt on the list of skaters that will be performing on the website. and i dont know any ice show that will be happening this week in japan apart from TOI. it will be so cool if he ever performs or just attend the ice show there :)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Hi, it seems like Plushy is on his way to Japan, judging by some comments he made at an awards show and a recent photo. You can find the information discussed by Gallavich and others on Plushy's Fan Fest, if it hasn't been buried by my program rants. We were also confused about why he was going to Japan since he doesn't seem to be listed anywhere.

So, short answer: Likely, but I don't think we can say for sure.

Lydia1703

On the Ice
annca, if this photo was taken during Worlds 2014, so I'm sure it was taken when he landed his final jump. Thanks for posting it here because in videos I have, they all showed his back (and yes, he celebrated :biggrin:)