Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 256 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

alia jackson

Record Breaker
annca, if this photo was taken during Worlds 2014, so I'm sure it was taken when he landed his final jump. Thanks for posting it here because in videos I have, they all showed his back (and yes, he celebrated :biggrin:)

Another thing I noticed in the video was a lady in grey nearest to the yellow stairs railing jumped out from her seat during this moment :biggrin:

annca

On the Ice
@sandpiper ahh! thanks i'll go by zhenya's thread right away to look for clues :).

@Lydia1703 yes, i believe it was taken during worlds 2014 at saitama :). i too only saw his back when he did the fist thing haha. we're so fortunate that someone took a pic of that moment.

@alia jackson i saw that too!! i also saw the other lady who mimicked yuzu's gesture after he landed his last jump :laugh:

Pamigena

Record Breaker
pretty much, yes :laugh: I especially love the second to last guy who almost breaks into a smile and then goes :( again (that was a close one)

Lsayogi

Spectator
The difference between Yuzuru and Daisuke is that by 2010 Daisuke was barely starting to get the results he wanted and he was deprived of a competitive season because of his injury. The Worlds 2011 incident pushed him to want to continue his career dreaming of the ultimate goal - the OGM. Yuzuru has already accomplished all this.

Part of that difference is, the scoring system allows disproportionately outlier technique (that favors youth) to join the ranks of more complete skaters (and barring many factors, I suspect a crucial difference between Chan and Hanyu as poster boys for COP is as stark as the difference between the structured, if dying breed of classical pedagogy by Colson, and more guerrilla-style, quick fix solutions under Abe.)
Add to this a well corporatized culture of skating in Japan, in which the star potential of top ranks must not only win medals but also the "hearts and minds" of a seasoned, discerning fanbase that long supported this culture.

So Hanyu ends up under a microscope, to live up to all that's historically associated with his titles. (Curiouser for me, is icons like Plushenko and Browning who are well aware of Hanyu's shortcomings with his points-getting layout, still pin high hopes on him: perhaps human nature for a new hope whether he turns out an Anakin?:p)
His artistic seniors on Team Japan, on the other hand, first made artistic breakthroughs at older ages (20~21+), at a more merciful pace without such intense scrutiny.
Then they became even more refined as we know and love today, around - even after - the age Hanyu recently announced to retire.
(Though Dai bore his share of expectations early on, if you'll fill in for us.)
So if we're interested in the biggest stride for the sport's artistry over the course of a career, it seems reasonable to look to those already with big head-start: artistic talents like Jason, Shoma, and Nathan.

Think Akiko touched on this, that you don't get to Kostner's level of artistry without reaching a certain age (well, her Ave Maria is definitely screening at my funeral xD) Lambiel and Browning's latest programs also give their older classics a run for their money, in terms of minimal basics and maximal, even complex expression.
Longevity as much as competition results, bears its own fruits to treasure.

-
Yuzu content:
Absolutely addicted to his layback spin in the FOI finale. Could more experienced fans critique his speed, centering, combination and recommend similar examples to enjoy? Just exhilarating like his younger, explosive self.

His program for Hiromi Go song aimed at detergent-buying aunties:
In just under a month since Prince ice world, his posture's straighter, less octupus arms of an aerobic gladiator, even more care shown to edges and balanced flow of entire program...but at cost of being cautious support to vocals. Biellmann looks less painful in an easier layout.
Nice, keep going kid.

Last edited:

Esopian

Final Flight
To me, I just appreciate his skating simply as it is because no one is perfect and everyone has their own preference. (just putting this out there) :thumbsup:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
I like sports. But what I like the most about sports is the sportmen/sportwomen and their characters. I really Yuzuru´s personality. He is a fighter, he is not shy about telling how he wants to do his best and win, I like his strength. And this shows in his skate, is strong but soft at the same time. A while a go a comentor call his skating as "like fashing a spell or charm" and this is what I feel.

In my country there is no figure skating, and there is no snow. I´m not educated enough to said if Yuzuru´s technique is good/ bad. But I know that I like watching him skate, and I also like see him grow on and off the ice.

Meoima

Match Penalty
To me, I just appreciate his skating simply as it is because no one is perfect and everyone has their own preference. (just putting this out there) :thumbsup:
:agree: Yup. As for the artistic side, people seem to forget that even Lambiel decided to retired at 23, he came back at 25 then retired once and for all. So 23 is not that early as people seem to think. Most top skaters can only stay in this sport for so long. It's a demanding sport. Plushy also technically stopped at 23, then he came back, then stopped then he came back again.

We don't know for sure if Yuzuru will actually retire at the age of 23. It's all talk at this point. Who knows if he will change his mind? And who knows if his artistic side will change to which direction? And because we don't know, it's exciting.

His program at FaOI seems to be only for that ice show as others have stated (like hell he would performed it outside of Japan because it has Japanese lyrics) so it's still early to say anything about his next season.

The thing is, Yuzuru has archived OGM, WC already. On the sad side we can think that his burdens will increase because people only expect more and more from him. On the good side we can hope that now the burdens of OGM have been lifted, the self-confidence has been added, so he would not care much about the points and focus on producing programs that he loves to perform and we love to see.

Thus I think less of top of the podium now, because the more we think about it the more it become stressful for him. I hope he can for long, produce programs that make us feel like "wow! He did it! He overcome his previous self!" That is enough. In fact, more than enough. Like what he did with the 4S at worlds. He overcome his 4S fear and I was so pleased to see.

Comparing to other young skaters with good jumping ability, his artistry is always more pleasing to the eyes. Comparing to other young skaters with good artistry, his technique is on a different level. He has roads to choose. More technique or more artistry.

I will support him whatever road he will choose. To become an athletic pioneer with new quads or artistic skater or both. Because it's all exciting to see.

echotpe

On the Ice
News about upcoming Fantasy on Ice 2014 In Toyama /In Niigata.

According to Hideki Sakamoto, a Japanese composer, tweeted today that Sarah Alainn will be a special guest in collaboration with skaters. They will perform his famous music "The Final Time Traveler". Wonder it's Yuzu or others will perform together, let us listen the beautiful song first!

The Final Time Traveler (a theme song of Nintendo 3DS game in 2012)

Sarah Alainn live

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
News about upcoming Fantasy on Ice 2014 In Toyama /In Niigata.

According to Hideki Sakamoto, a Japanese composer, tweeted today that Sarah Alainn will be a special guest in collaboration with skaters. They will perform his famous music "The Final Time Traveler". Wonder it's Yuzu or others will perform together, let us listen the beautiful song first!

The Final Time Traveler (a theme song of Nintendo 3DS game in 2012)

Sarah Alainn live

Much better than the guy from last weekend...

EDIT.

Any news on Yuzuru´s Sendai shows for this weekend?

EDIT 2.
Was this picture of Fumiya Sashida cheering on Yuzuru in Sochi (tumblr saids it is) http://nonchan1023.tumblr.com/post/75859010610/fumiya-sashida-was-cheering-on-for-yuzuru

annca

On the Ice
Comparing to other young skaters with good jumping ability, his artistry is always more pleasing to the eyes. Comparing to other young skaters with good artistry, his technique is on a different level. He has roads to choose. More technique or more artistry.

I will support him whatever road he will choose. To become an athletic pioneer with new quads or artistic skater or both. Because it's all exciting to see.

:agree: :agree: :agree:

and thanks for the news guys :)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I don't feel like Yuzu is artistically challenged. Not compared to the rest of the field, at least. I'm a bit confused about why Machida is considered an "artist" and Yuzu is not? :confused: (I say this as someone who was kinda pulling for Machida to win Worlds... but from a technical standpoint, not an artistic one). It's unfair to compare Yuzu to Dai, who is possibly the most artistic male skater for the past fifteen years.

I do think COP is stuff and it's difficult to express yourself in it, but that affects everyone, not just Yuzu.

23 isn't an early retirement age at all, especially for someone who already has OGM and doesn't seem to be a late bloomer. Even Plushenko said that he considers 21 the peak age for men--and he's the dude who stuck around for an extra decade. Our perspectives are possibly skewed due to the recent slew of non-retirements. :laugh:

Esopian

Final Flight

Wow, what a great comment! Your comment practically turned into an essay of what every fan should feel. :clap:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I cannot wait to see this show! I expect it will be very emotional to have Plushy and Yuzuru sharing the ice. One thing that seems odd though, no ladies in the cast? I wonder why?