Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 260 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

won0066

On the Ice
This is a bit off topic....but back to the discussion of whether or not Yuzu will retire after the next Olympics....looks like Patrick Chan is thinking about it now, whether to committ to another four year cycle..and he is currently 23...same age Yuzu will be in four years...interesting comment about it being tough having to skate with Yuzu in ice shows right after the olympics...

http://www.cp24.com/sports/chan-say...sappointment-future-plans-uncertain-1.1865660

Meoima

Match Penalty
This is a bit off topic....but back to the discussion of whether or not Yuzu will retire after the next Olympics....looks like Patrick Chan is thinking about it now, whether to committ to another four year cycle..and he is currently 23...same age Yuzu will be in four years...interesting comment about it being tough having to skate with Yuzu in ice shows right after the olympics...
http://www.cp24.com/sports/chan-say...sappointment-future-plans-uncertain-1.1865660
Poor PChan, things are surely hard for him. I love PChan very much as he is an excellent skater. But it's not like we can turn back the time and give them the second chance to not stumble and fall at Sochi. I am sure Yuzuru also feels bad whenever he thinks about those 2 falls.

Knowing the nature of this sport, with all the dubious judging, the politiking... all the skaters have up and down times and we can never know how and when, I only wish for Yuzuru to compete with all his mind and ability, to not regret anything when he finally decides to turn pro.

Gold medals are not what I only think for Yuzuru anymore, cause he's already got them. Rather than that, I hope he feels happy and satisfied with his performances from now on. I hope he can perform with all his strength, to reach his true potential fully, without any regret.

I also hope the same for PChan. Whether he will decide to come back for the next olympic or not, I hope he will find the peace of his mind.

winterbell

Rinkside
Gold medals are not what I only think for Yuzuru anymore, cause he's already got them. Rather than that, I hope he feels happy and satisfied with his performances from now on. I hope he can perform with all his strength, to reach his true potential fully, without any regret.

I also hope the same for PChan. Whether he will decide to come back for the next olympic or not, I hope he will find the peace of his mind.

Good luck to PChan.

But for Yuzuru, I think he is a different type. He might be the type that needs the obsession of winning to push himself to the next stage. I think he will still fight for gold medals at least in the next four years. That might be his way to "reach his true potential fully without any regret".

skatefan22

Medalist

Thanks for sharing this article. It seems that Patrick still hasn't got over his FS at sochi. But I agree with him when he said that the FS competition is a "proof of who is really comfortable with your program" (his own words).

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Thanks for sharing this article. It seems that Patrick still hasn't got over his FS at sochi. But I agree with him when he said that the FS competition is a "proof of who is really comfortable with your program" (his own words).
Patrick is a great skaterbut he doesn´t have the best actitude and humbleness isn´t his strong point, luckily Yuzuru probably understood very Little of what he said :p

And this part really turned me off of him:
“Remember that I am doing this for myself, not for anyone else. Not for Canada, not for the media, really for myself.
180 degrees different than Yuzuru.

Klarnet

On the Ice
Patrick is a great skaterbut he doesn´t have the best actitude and humbleness isn´t his strong point, luckily Yuzuru probably understood very Little of what he said :p

Everyone does it for themselves, it is individual sport, whatever Yuzuru is telling in his interviews, eventually it is all about personal win, so I wouldn't be so harsch on Chan for he just puts it in more honest and plain way. I would love to see Patrick go back there and fight as real sportsman, but as Meoima mentioned, the nature of this sport is quite specific and the chances are pretty obvious beforehand, so it's understandable if he decides not to waste his time and live on with his life

skatefan22

Medalist

I think he told himself that way (skate for himself not for others) in order to relieve some pressure. He explained this in the Strombo interview on CBC (need a Canadian vpn or you could use Hola the extension with google chrome to watch it).

What bothers me a bit is when he talked about that incident at sochi gala. First him posting that injury pic one month after the Olympics but right before Yuzu's worlds competition kinda gave me weird feelings. Second, during that Strombo interview which was aired on April 3rd, when the interviewer asked "did he do that on purpose?", he replied "was me posting that kinda implying that? ... People really think that I am posting this to get back on him, but no. It's urh...''-- It's what ?? Wish the interviewer hadn't cut off the conversation...

Anyway, I sincerely hope that he can get over all the sochi unpleasant (both mentally and physically) experience and move on. After all, he has 3 world titles and 2 Olympics silver medals.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Everyone does it for themselves, it is individual sport, whatever Yuzuru is telling in his interviews, eventually it is all about personal win, so I wouldn't be so harsch on Chan for he just puts it in more honest and plain way. I would love to see Patrick go back there and fight as real sportsman, but as Meoima mentioned, the nature of this sport is quite specific and the chances are pretty obvious beforehand, so it's understandable if he decides not to waste his time and live on with his life

Really? Because most sportmen will do it for their countries. And is not just what he said, is the moment and the time.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Thank your for understanding me. :cry:

Sigh, I mean in this sport, the wins are mostly decided by the judges, despite how strong your performance might be, and we have to live with that fact. All the skaters know that, Yuzuru knows that, PChan knows that, Yuna definitely knows that.

So all they can do is going out to the rink and perform their best, to leave the best impression on people watching them, and on top of that, to move on with no regret. That is the best thing I can hope for any skater.

Of course I hope Yuzuru will win more golds, but rather than that I hope he will reach his full potential without any regret. The medals don't count in this case. The satisfied state of mind is the most important thing any athlete would love to archive.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank your for understanding me. :cry:

Sigh, I mean in this sport, the wins are mostly decided by the judges, despite how strong your performance might be, and we have to live with that fact. All the skaters know that, Yuzuru knows hat, PChan knows that, Yuna definitely knows that.

So all they can do is going out to the rink and perform their best, to leave the best impression on people watching you, and on top of that, to move on with no regret. That is the best thing I can hope for any skater.

Of course I hope Yuzuru will win more golds, but rather than that I hope he will reach his full potential without any regret. The medals don't count in this case. The satisfied state of mind is the most important thing any athlete would love to archive.

^This. The most important judge to any skater is their fans and themselves. The rest is just icing on the cake :)

Klarnet

On the Ice
Really? Because most sportmen will do it for their countries. And is not just what he said, is the moment and the time.

Hahaha, I wish sportsmen heard your words, they would laugh even more, especially those who change citizenship like every season

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
No. Most sportsmen do not go into elite sports--suffering stress, injury, and disappointment--for the sake of their countries (not in countries where they have a choice, anyway). They do so because they love the sport, and they want to achieve results in it for themselves. I'm sure most of them love their countries and think it's an honour to represent Japan/Canada/Kazakhstan at the Olympics. And I'm sure you'll get a few oddballs who are genuinely doing it for patriotic reasons above all else. However, with most athletes, they take the hard road for themselves. And there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm not a Patrick Chan fan at all (his fallfest in Vancouver left a bad taste in my mouth, and his track record for the subsequent four years hasn't improved my opinion). But I like that he is honest about his motivation. He shouldn't spout some patriotic speech if he doesn't want to.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Those are the ones that don´t deserve MY respect. And that is MY opinion.
It's okay. I know what you mean. But the truth is, it's an individual sport. :)

PChan did joke that in a different world he would skate for China since the fees for his training costed so much when he skated for Canada Fed. It's a burden to his parents and I understand why he said so. You know with PChan it's kinda different to Yuzuru living in Japan because people living in Canada actually have roots from all over the worlds, just like the US.

Personally I think if your federation doesn't do any thing good to you, you should have just change the fed and the citizenship, cause it's your life and future. I am not surprised if Anna Pogolilaya skated for Ukraine next year (both her parents are Ukraine), given the situation has been so tough in Russia ladies.

Hahaha, I wish sportsmen heard your words, they would laugh even more, especially those who change citizenship like every season
Figure skating and patriotism - written by Aliona Savchenko. :biggrin:
I love Aliona, though. She has always been extremely creative with the costumes and the programs.

Pamigena

Record Breaker
The most important judge to any skater is their fans and themselves. The rest is just icing on the cake :)
maybe we should add fellow skaters and/or idols to that list (unless you want to count those as fans) :biggrin: I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that some opinions might just mean a little more than others

Klarnet

On the Ice
Those are the ones that don´t deserve MY respect. And that is MY opinion.

Sad for Alyona Savchenko, as a sportsman she deserves respect:) as well as many other even non-skating athletes, who wouldn't shine within their native countries but achieve great results and become champions under different flag

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
It's okay. I know what you mean. But the truth is, it's an individual sport. :)

PChan did joke that in a different world he would skate for China since the fees for his training costed so much when he skated for Canada Fed. It's a burden to his parents and I understand why he said so. You know with PChan it's kinda different to Yuzuru living in Japan because people living in Canada actually have roots from all over the worlds, just like the US.

Personally I think if your federation doesn't do any thing good to you, you should have just change the fed and the citizenship, cause it's your life and future. I am not surprised if Anna Pogolilaya skated for Ukraine next year (both her parents are Ukraine), given the situation has been so tough in Russia ladies.
Well, people in Canada didn´t enjoy the joke

Again is not just that he said it, is when he said it. In the middle of the Olympics. When people of your countries are really rooting for you.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Sad for Alyona Savchenko, as a sportsman she deserves respect:) as well as many other even non-skating athletes, who wouldn't shine within their native countries but achieve great results and become champions under different flag
I suppose it's pretty bad with the Ukraine fed. With the current situation of the country. :cry:
Actually I think Anna Pogolilaya would have better chances if she skated for Ukraine but at this rate I suppose she has to stick with the Russian Fed. The ladies field there surely is a bloodbath.