Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 295 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

Sorrento

Record Breaker
^Thank you for the report echotpe. He certainly can't stand to lose can he? ;)

Yuzuru wrote down 臥薪嘗胆[ (Gashinshoutan) as his theme for 2014-2015 on the pamphlets sold at Beppu and DOI.
The word itself is a Chinese idiom and it means "going through thick and thin to attain one's objective; enduring unspeakable hardships for the sake of vengeance."
I guess that means he'll try to win every event no matter what.
I have a funny feeling that that quad he did in the show performance of his new SP (was it a second show?) where he did mistake on a combo and planned quad- is a tool he might use in actual competition. Like- taking a single 3 elevation jump and make it into 4? Can he actually do that? If the jump is a new one, not the quad he already attempted at the beginning of the program? Is it OK with the rules?

makaihime

Final Flight
Yuzu's SP is by Jeff Buttle.

Could you tell in short about the story behind the ballad? I'm curious.

Some say its inspired by the story of Poland, but Chopin's ballades don't necessarily have a specific story to tell, its more about the listener's feeling the piece and then narrating a story through their own mind. Although it does have a dramatic narrative to it.

So we can look forward to seeing how Yuzuru tells his story :)

Sorrento

Record Breaker
Some say its inspired by the story of Poland, but Chopin's ballades don't necessarily have a specific story to tell, its more about the listener's feeling the piece and then narrating a story through their own mind. Although it does have a dramatic narrative to it.

So we can look forward to seeing how Yuzuru tells his story :)
It's just that when I watched Mao Asada's version to this music I felt no drama to it. It was just very elegant and romantic. Yuzuru's version is so very different and I find it captivating.:love:

makaihime

Final Flight
It's just that when I watched Mao Asada's version to this music I felt no drama to it. It was just very elegant and romantic. Yuzuru's version is so very different and I find it captivating.:love:

Mao used different cuts of the piece, but I agree, both are very distinct from one another. Which makes it all the more exciting to see how Yuzuru will interpret his version ;)

I dont know the story behind Chopin, but Ballade is used in "Lady of camellias" ballet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoNf6lOj1Vk#!

I believe it was also used in the movie "The pianist" :)

Poice

Final Flight

As a Pole I can say something about it :D Chopin wrote his four ballades while being inspired by A.Mickiewicz's poems (one of the most famous Polish poets). XIX century was a really hard time in our history - there was no Poland on maps and country was partitioned by three invaders (Tsarist Russia, Kingdom of Prussia and Austrian Empire). Occupants implemented russification and germanization. People couldn't claim in public their culture, language, religion etc. In that time many people from polish elites emigrated to West Europe (one of them was Fryderyk Chopin). In many pieces of Chopin you can feel his longing, sadness, sorrow towards his homeland. He wrote his famous ,,Revolutionary Étude" after failed November Uprising (1831) against Russia. It's too bad that Chopin couldn't witness regained independence by Poland in 1918.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
As a Pole I can say something about it :D Chopin wrote his four ballades while being inspired by A.Mickiewicz's poems (one of the most famous Polish poets). XIX century was a really hard time in our history - there was no Poland on maps and country was partitioned by three invaders (Tsarist Russia, Kingdom of Prussia and Austrian Empire). Occupants implemented russification and germanization. People couldn't claim in public their culture, language, religion etc. In that time many people from polish elites emigrated to West Europe (one of them was Fryderyk Chopin). In many pieces of Chopin you can feel his longing, sadness, sorrow towards his homeland. He wrote his famous ,,Revolutionary Étude" after failed November Uprising (1831) against Russia. It's too bad that Chopin couldn't witness regained independence by Poland in 1918.
Thank you for this insight! :)

DarR

Rinkside
The 2nd half quad gives him a total of 10.3 x 1.1 points, or 11.33 points - a 1.03 points greater base value than before. His 4t is scary consistent, so although there is a greater risk, I think it is one that can be taken for the greater reward.

I would think that Yuzu's team is planning on Yuzu doing a 4T-3T combination (in 2nd half) and steps into 3Lz. Less risk compared to his previous PW program (because he can still attempt a 3Lz-3T in case he misses his first planned combination). His PW program was quite risky in the sense that he had only one opportunity in attempting the combination, which is his 3Lz-3T. If he misses it he wouldn't have been able to attempt the combination - like how Mao wasn't able to attempt her 3Lo-2Lo in the SP at Olympics because she only did a 2Lo.

PatricksGaze

On the Ice
Can someone translate what Sashida said about Yuzuru and being his friend at the end of the video with additional scenes? Thanks in advance.

jimeonji

Final Flight
I would think that Yuzu's team is planning on Yuzu doing a 4T-3T combination (in 2nd half) and steps into 3Lz. Less risk compared to his previous PW program (because he can still attempt a 3Lz-3T in case he misses his first planned combination). His PW program was quite risky in the sense that he had only one opportunity in attempting the combination, which is his 3Lz-3T. If he misses it he wouldn't have been able to attempt the combination - like how Mao wasn't able to attempt her 3Lo-2Lo in the SP at Olympics because she only did a 2Lo.

Well, last season, there was only one time that he didn't successfully execute the 3lz3t - at Skate Canada, where he popped the 3lz into a 1lz but still managed to put a 3t after it. I would think that he's confident about the 3lz3t, but you're right, a 4t3t might be the better choice. Maybe he and Orser think that with a solo 4t and 3lz3t (esp now with more transitions) would get more GOE than 4t3t and 3lz.

yay

On the Ice
Yuzu's SP is by Jeff Buttle.
Thank you.
What I meant by the background - the bloody Polish–Russian War 1830/31 (failed Polish uprising against Russian rule/domination, resulted in Poland becoming a part of Russia).
It's just that when I watched Mao Asada's version to this music I felt no drama to it. It was just very elegant and romantic.
It depends on the cuts, surely. The Mao version is mostly the cheerful, "hopeful" part of the piece.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
So, if Jeffrey Buttle got inspired by The Lady of the Camellias Ballet/ Book, Yuzuru will be Armand? A young man in love with a woman with low reputation and with a tragic end?
It´s fit the very romantic costume if you ask me...

And while Mao´s interpretation is more ballet oriented (the dance) I think Yuzuru´s acting is more dramatic.

If I remember correctly Yuzuru started taking Ballet last year, hope he can keep with it.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
I don't believe a full translation of this interview (w/ Oda, Akiko, and Yuzuru) was ever posted

Credit to 311mi from tumblr :biggrin:
June 20th, 2014 Yuzuru Hanyu, Nobunari Oda, and Akiko Suzuki’s Performance
Original: @羽生結弦資訊台
Report: @甜甜的賢賢的
Image: @羽生結弦資訊台

Q: Are the relations between the Japanese representatives good?
A: //All choose YES//

Host: Are you all rivals?
Akiko: Before we go onto the ice, we’re all great friends
Host: Your ages are really far apart, though
Akiko: In the world of figure skating, we don’t talk about that ==

Q: Do you know one another’s secrets?
Nobu raises his hand in a flash (Nobu starts to reveal all sorts of information)
Says he knows Yuzu’s secret, Yuzu’s been engrossed in kendama, which is this toy, the one that always appears lately, and says that he keeps on playing backstage ==
Nobu says that just now under Hanyu-kun’s teaching, he successfully caught the tama (the ball) on the kensaki (the spike) for the first time

Host: Can you show us? //Brings out a kendama//
Yuzu: Can I use my own? (He surprisingly has one prepared) //Proceeds to get one from who knows where//
Nobu: This is my kendama. (Meaning that it is exclusively Hanyu’s) Come, come, my little kendama
Host: Most kendamas look like this, with a red ball and a yellow body… Why is yours black?
Nobu: Because he’s Hanyu
Yuzu: I’m nervous

//Suddenly, a male voice coming from who knows where yells “Yuzu good luck! Yuzu work hard!” ==//

Nobu keeps on saying: Focus, focus, focus. You can do it, you can do it!
Nobu also says: You were showing off just now! What happened now? (Hahahaha)
Nobu: He got obsessed about a month ago == He would skate while playing also… Because he likes practicing, he had to practice both his skating and his kendama skills
Nobu: Yuzu told me that when playing kendama, the knee’s motion and the body’s rhythm helps in skating

Q: If you were to be reborn, would you still be a competitive figure skater?
//Yuzu hesitantly chooses YES//
Yuzu: It’s not easy to get the opportunity too be reborn, so I think I wouldn’t want to repeat the same life experiences, and that I would like to try new things. I’m not saying that there’s a more desirable occultation for me right now, but that I would like to try something new.

Finally, he also talks to some girls
Girl: Yuzu’s really tall!
Yuzu: That’s because I’m wearing skates!
Girl: When you jump, what do you think about?
Yuzu: I think about a successful jump’s image
Girl: Lately, I’ve been practicing a double salchow. Can you give me some advice?
Yuzu: The momentum going into a salchow is extremely important, so if you go in like whoosh it should be fine
Girls: //Nods heads//

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Translation of the interview of Oda, Akiko, and Yuzuru during the FS show in Beppu 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlLf0jGtzAQ&list=UUoPBAQTMWom0VLg20T5K6gg

Credit to 311mi from tumblr.
June 20th, 2014 Yuzuru Hanyu, Nobunari Oda, and Akiko Suzuki’s Performance
Original: @羽生結弦資訊台
Report: @甜甜的賢賢的
Image: @羽生結弦資訊台

Q: Are the relations between the Japanese representatives good?
A: //All choose YES//

Host: Are you all rivals?
Akiko: Before we go onto the ice, we’re all great friends
Host: Your ages are really far apart, though
Akiko: In the world of figure skating, we don’t talk about that ==

Q: Do you know one another’s secrets?
Nobu raises his hand in a flash (Nobu starts to reveal all sorts of information)
Says he knows Yuzu’s secret, Yuzu’s been engrossed in kendama, which is this toy, the one that always appears lately, and says that he keeps on playing backstage ==
Nobu says that just now under Hanyu-kun’s teaching, he successfully caught the tama (the ball) on the kensaki (the spike) for the first time

Host: Can you show us? //Brings out a kendama//
Yuzu: Can I use my own? (He surprisingly has one prepared) //Proceeds to get one from who knows where//
Nobu: This is my kendama. (Meaning that it is exclusively Hanyu’s) Come, come, my little kendama
Host: Most kendamas look like this, with a red ball and a yellow body… Why is yours black?
Nobu: Because he’s Hanyu
Yuzu: I’m nervous

//Suddenly, a male voice coming from who knows where yells “Yuzu good luck! Yuzu work hard!” ==//

Nobu keeps on saying: Focus, focus, focus. You can do it, you can do it!
Nobu also says: You were showing off just now! What happened now? (Hahahaha)
Nobu: He got obsessed about a month ago == He would skate while playing also… Because he likes practicing, he had to practice both his skating and his kendama skills
Nobu: Yuzu told me that when playing kendama, the knee’s motion and the body’s rhythm helps in skating

Q: If you were to be reborn, would you still be a competitive figure skater?
//Yuzu hesitantly chooses YES//
Yuzu: It’s not easy to get the opportunity too be reborn, so I think I wouldn’t want to repeat the same life experiences, and that I would like to try new things. I’m not saying that there’s a more desirable occultation for me right now, but that I would like to try something new.

Finally, he also talks to some girls
Girl: Yuzu’s really tall!
Yuzu: That’s because I’m wearing skates!
Girl: When you jump, what do you think about?
Yuzu: I think about a successful jump’s image
Girl: Lately, I’ve been practicing a double salchow. Can you give me some advice?
Yuzu: The momentum going into a salchow is extremely important, so if you go in like whoosh it should be fine
Girls: //Nods heads//

Another translations, this one about his academic achievements :p

Credit to 311mi for the translation again :love:
Hanyu's Accomplishment in Both Academics and Sports
Original: Yahoo! Japan

Chinese Translations: @Shigana_新旅程

April 27th, 2014, SPORT Report

On April 24th, 2014, a parade commemorating Yuzuru Hanyu’s gold medal in the Men’s Singles event in the Sochi 2014 Olympics took place in Sendai, with a recorded number of 92,000 spectators present. Hanyu’s high school, Tohoku High School, 61 people people were tasked to decorate the parade with flowers. Endou-sensei, the teacher in charge, reveals that Hanyu is the type that “moves towards the direction of what they believe in, and what they want” since the very beginning.

Endou-sensei, Hanyu’s tenth grade mathematics teacher, said that “[Hanyu’s] Test score were always 90% or higher, and always handed in homework and assignments on time.” He was not only good at mathematics, but was also brilliant in language arts and other subjects. Although he was always on the move because of his various figure skating competitions, Hanyu was still able to keep up with his scary high results. Endou-sensei once asked Hanyu: “Why are you so serious in your academics as well?”, to which he replied to: “In order to challenge the world, of course I would need to train my brain as well.”

Eight years later, once again left to Tohoku High School’s members to organize the parade, Endou-sensei praises his former student, saying “Even if Hanyu is on a plane, he will still diligently complete his homework. He trains both his body and mind very maturely.”

Rinkside
I’m so amused how he calls Sashida “Sashi”. With all the Plushy Mushy talk on this thread, I now imagine Plushy and Yuzu skating together while Sashida is singing, and we can call that the Plushy Mushy Sashi collaboration.

Rinkside
I like his new costume a lot to be honest. It has a really nice look and feel to it :) Its simple, yes, but I think sometimes a simple look can be okay :) I wonder though is it really purple? Maybe its white. The lighting probably made it look purple?

Rinkside
@ cruzceleste... that is a really good interpretation "a young man in love with a woman with low reputation and with a tragic end"

The costume does give off a very regal and majestic appearance. He looks like a young prince himself.