Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 35 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

Kalina

On the Ice
Supporting in what sense, may I ask? It seem that in terms of money with ANA and Coca Cola sponsor Yuzuru made almost US$2.2 millions last year, will guess that this amount of money will increse now.

Since when is Yuzuru sponsored by Coca Cola? :laugh: I'm not even sure who puts around this rumors... he has a corporate affiliation agreement with ANA, is one of the Symbol Athletes of the Japanese Olympic Committee. That's it.
And the 2 million dollars thing?! Besides the fact that no one knows what he actually earns, the rumors that went around when he signed the contract with ANA said that the contract was estimated to be worth around 30 million yen a year, which is around 300000 US dollars. I repeat, rumors.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Since when is Yuzuru sponsored by Coca Cola? :laugh: I'm not even sure who puts around this rumors... he has a corporate affiliation agreement with ANA, is one of the Symbol Athletes of the Japanese Olympic Committee. That's it.
And the 2 million dollars thing?! Besides the fact that no one knows what he actually earns, the rumors that went around when he signed the contract with ANA said that the contract was estimated to be worth around 30 million yen a year, which is around 300000 US dollars. I repeat, rumors.

Well that looks like sponsored to me : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWjbxbTt5BE nut I don´t know if is part of the Symbol Athlete deal

Yuzuru net worth: http://www.sportrichlist.com/athletes/yuzuru-hanyu-net-worth/

SuzyQ

Medalist
Sponsors or money related things are managed by the Federation, I think.

Ms. Shirota has lots of connections internationally, and she advises the Hanyus in various aspects, and she communicated or was involved in when Yuzuru decided Orser as his new coach, according to the magazine.
Actually, that money scandal was mainly caused by the Head Director, and she became a kind of involved as far as I remember. Of course she was responsible to some extent.

To my impression, as she is very capable, she is a type of person who has the same number of enemies and followers. I heard Morozoff had troubles with her because she interfered with his athletes too much. Anyway, she is getting back her power in the figure skating society in Japan, and maybe it is causing friction, I suppose.

Japanese food giant "Ajinomoto" is now supporting Yuzuru, advising her mother, and he can eat more than before :laugh:
He believed that he could not eat much, but they noticed his stomach starts moving slow, so they contrived the menu carefully, and it worked. I think he looks healthier than before.

airin

Rinkside
I heard Ms. Keiko Shirota, former Director of Japan Skating Federation is supporting the Hanyu family.
Yuzuru and his family is trusting her very much. But, she is a person dismissed from the Federation once due to money scandal around 2006 together with the Head Director. She is a very capble person, and actually it is her who built up the successful system to develop excellent figure skaters in Japan, including Nobeyama training course.
It is a rumor that there is some kind of friction between her and the Federation.
Orser wanted her to have the coach pass for supporting Yuzuru because he had to look after Javier as well, but JSF did not allow that, and Orser complained about it.

This is what I just read in a magazine, so I cannot say it is credible or not.

I think you mean Noriko Shirota, don’t you?:)
I read some magazine articles about relationship between her and his family too, I don’t deny them outright as they could possibly contain some cantle or one side of the fact, but as you say, we need to examine cautiously how much we can place liability on these articles(and information about inside details of the federation), because they are gossip magazines and these articles are not necessarily written on the purpose of reporting the facts accurately, but rather gaining attention of the crowd with scandalous gossips about infighting or ineptness of the federation. (And some are not reporting positively about Yuzuru; they write about Ms. Shirota with scandalous image of ousted mastermind behind the scenes):disapp:

giulia95

Medalist
Sponsors or money related things are managed by the Federation, I think.

Japanese food giant "Ajinomoto" is now supporting Yuzuru, advising her mother, and he can eat more than before :laugh:
He believed that he could not eat much, but they noticed his stomach starts moving slow, so they contrived the menu carefully, and it worked. I think he looks healthier than before.

Yuzuru looks much helthier and stronger than last year and I think he's so lucky to have such a supportive mom!:)

Meoima

Match Penalty
and besides, he does have that effect even on non-fangirly people. you should have heard my mom :laugh: she came by while I was still watching the flower ceremony after the FS. and the lady who handed over the flowers actually kinda patted Yuzuru's cheek. My mom started laughing and said something along the lines of "well, I get it. look at that baby-face! who wouldn't wanna do that"
My friend, who happens to be male and he dislike feminine traits on male atheles, said this when I made him watch this kid's performance: "I want to pinch this kid's cheek!!"
And I was sitting there like: "What? Seriously?" :laugh:

phaeljones

On the Ice
Yuzuru looks much helthier and stronger than last year and I think he's so lucky to have such a supportive mom!:)

He does look a lot healthier.

Whatever support he is getting, it is working and very good. I have often wondered, and speculated that his mother is his big support and I have read that she is here in Toronto with him. But I have never seen her (in the youtube video of his first costume involving Johnny Weir several years ago when I think he was about 14, she is shown with Weir and Yuzuru making the costume so I have an idea of what she looks like). The few times that I have passed him or seen him, he has always been alone (inbetween destinations no doubt).

(I find it interesting that both his mother and Nanami Abe seem to shy away from the cameras. They value their privacy I would assume.)

I think that the space and relative privacy that Toronto and TCC has provided him has also helped so that the support is unimpeded. My impression is that he gets both the support and the space from his family, so that combined with his phenomenal talent, work ethic and focus, it has been a perfect mix.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
Let's hope yuzuru can stay healthy for all the next season :) It's nice to see that many people support him.

SuzyQ

Medalist
I think you mean Noriko Shirota, don’t you?:)
I read some magazine articles about relationship between her and his family too, I don’t deny them outright as they could possibly contain some cantle or one side of the fact, but as you say, we need to examine cautiously how much we can place liability on these articles(and information about inside details of the federation), because they are gossip magazines and these articles are not necessarily written on the purpose of reporting the facts accurately, but rather gaining attention of the crowd with scandalous gossips about infighting or ineptness of the federation. (And some are not reporting positively about Yuzuru; they write about Ms. Shirota with scandalous image of ousted mastermind behind the scenes):disapp:

Thank you for your telling me about Ms. Shirota's name. I made a mistake in reading the Chinese characters :eek:
You are perfectly right. We should not rely on mass media too much, but estimate it carefully.

Honestly, I have respect for Ms. Shirota for her capability and skills that have established such an excellent system to develop young and promissing skaters. Especially, I like the system that top skaters and younger skaters are trained closely. (I heard Yuzuru mastered his 3A when he watched 3A of Mao Asada and Takahiko Kozuka)

I hope Ms. Shirota's getting back her position in JSF would work positively, without much friction.

In any case, ANA and Ajinomoto are good choices as supporting companies, I believe :agree:

giulia95

Medalist
He does look a lot healthier.

Whatever support he is getting, it is working and very good. I have often wondered, and speculated that his mother is his big support and I have read that she is here in Toronto with him. But I have never seen her (in the youtube video of his first costume involving Johnny Weir several years ago when I think he was about 14, she is shown with Weir and Yuzuru making the costume so I have an idea of what she looks like). The few times that I have passed him or seen him, he has always been alone (inbetween destinations no doubt).

(I find it interesting that both his mother and Nanami Abe seem to shy away from the cameras. They value their privacy I would assume.)

I think that the space and relative privacy that Toronto and TCC has provided him has also helped so that the support is unimpeded. My impression is that he gets both the support and the space from his family, so that combined with his phenomenal talent, work ethic and focus, it has been a perfect mix.

Yuzuru looks like his mother a lot , you may see her in many clips even if she tries to stay away from her kid... his mom is probably the reason why Yuzuru is a rare combination of a top notch skater and a high profile student. :)

Becki

Medalist
My friend, who happens to be male and he dislike feminine traits on male atheles, said this when I made him watch this kid's performance: "I want to pinch this kid's cheek!!"
And I was sitting there like: "What? Seriously?" :laugh:

Me too! I always wanted to pinch Yuzu's cheeks :)

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I agree that the support of his family is a crucial ingredient in Yuzuru's success. In an article by Philip Hersh shortly before the Olympic men's figure skating event, he quotes Brian Orser as saying that "Yuzu is very dependent on his family, and he lives and breathes skating with not much of a social life." Of course such focus is necessary to become an Olympic champion. Yuzuru's parents (his father is a teacher I believe) do not seem to mollycoddle him however. His mother for instance refused to allow him a cellphone though he has one now as Samsung gave one to each Olympian in Sochi. They have obviously done a good job raising him as seen in his beautiful manners and deportment.