Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 36 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
I knew his parents didn't allow him to have a cellphone, but well all those sacrifices that he and his family made paid well, I mean he is now the OGM.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Yuzu seems to be a very modest and respectful kid. No doubt it's also because of the influence of his parents.

Meoima

Match Penalty
After re-watching this kid's FS this season (and even Sochi) and his former R&J, I have come to several thoughts:

- The program's content is TOO OLD for this kid. He hasn't reached the age that allow him to fully understand the feelings they expect him to express. Technically he can nail in in practice, but artistically? He hasn't grown up enough for that.:think:
- The costume = very distracting. I mean, he is already pencil thin, with the current costume he looks like half of a pencil. When I watch him in practice with the jacket and t-shirt, it was much more relaxing and please to watch, so I come to conclusion that the costume does matter. f course I have to count that he was not as tensed when performing. I am not trying to shame his choice of costume or Weir's design,:slink: but, yup, I hope he will chose something that makes he look more healthy next season (like his SP's costume).
- He hasn't gotten used to this program, :scowl:eek:r the last season program either. I have to say David Wilson's programs do not look much so lifeless as some people have said.
- After re-watching it several times and comparing it to other's male skaters' programs, I think, without the fall on his 4S, his FS at GPF was much better than many (both technically and artistry). So I think it's something Yuzuru have to do with his self-confidence, he has to believe that he could be perfectly clean.
- In Sochi, I have a feeling that in the half final of his free skate, he was able to sell his program to some extent and the NBC commentators also felt it), its' like he only started to understand just a glimpse of what he should feel about his own program and to make people around also feel it.

=>>> This program has the potential to become much better, and the kid is still growing into it. I hope he would prove it in Worlds at the end of this month. This is exciting to watch, you know, because the kid is still improving and he has lots of room to reach his peak, which I hope that will be glorious.

Needless to say, I hope his next SP and FS will be something that really suit his age mentally, not something so old to his age like the current one. David Wilson certainly didn't try to put himself in a teenager's mood when he create the program. :mad: He is not a bad choreographer, he was just trying to sell a program that add more and more points at the competition. His program itself is not bad, it suits Yuzuru to some extent, but I suppose Yuzuru need a program that express more energy and innocence of his age. :laugh:In short, he needs a program that show his lively side.

Last edited:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
After re-watching this kid's FS this season (and even Sochi) and his former R&J, I have come to several thoughts:

- The program's content is TOO OLD for this kid. He hasn't reached the age that allow him to fully understand the feelings they expect him to express. Technically he can nail in in practice, but artistry, he hasn't grown up enough for that.:think:
- The costume, very distracting, I mean, he is already pencil thin, with the current costume he looks like half of a pencil. When I watch him in practice with the jacket and t-shirt, it was much more relaxing and please to watch, so I come to conclusion that the costume does matter. It's not like I am trying to shame his choice of costume or Weir's design. Of course I have to count that he was not as tensed when performing,:slink: but, yup, I hope he will chose something that makes he look more healthy next season (like his SP's costume).
- He hasn't gotten used to this program, :scowl:eek:r the last season program either. I have to say David Wilson's programs do not look much so lifeless as some people've said. Well, after re-watching it several times and comparing it to other's male skaters' programs. Without the fall on his 4S, his FS at GPF was much better than many (both technically and artistry). So I think it's something Yuzuru have to do with his self-confidence, he has to believe that he could be perfectly clean.
- In Sochi, I have a feeling that in the half final of his free skate, he was able to sell his program to some extent and the NBC commentators also felt it), its' like he only started to understand just a glimpse of what he should feel about his own program and to make people around also feel it.
=>>> This program has the potential to become much better, and the kid is still growing into it. I hope he would prove it in Worlds at the end of this month.

Needless to say, I hope his next SP and FS will be something that really suit his age mentally, not something so old to his age like the current one. David Wilson certainly didn't try to put himself in a teenager's mood when he create the program. :mad: He is not a bad choreographer, he was just trying to sell a program that add more and more points at the competition. His program itself is not bad, it suits Yuzuru to some extent, but I suppose Yuzuru need a program that express more energy and innocence of his age. :laugh:In short, he needs a program that show his lively side.

I don´t think it has something to do with his "mental age", the content and complexity of the program were made to compete with Chan (and the Chanflantation), beside it was Yuzuru who chose the content of the program.

I like his programs full of energy, but I also like the drama and feeling that he ads to mature programs like Rome & Juliet from this year....

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
About the artistry of his programs, I think he has very much potential, but he is very young and doesn't have enough experience. I'm sure not many people agree, but I believe in a few years this kid will be an artist like Lambiel or Dai. As I said it before, I like the new R&J program very much and I hope he'll have a clean program at the worlds. It seems to me that his jumps influence the artistry of his programs..when he has mistakes (like at the OG), he tends to concentrate more to nail the jumps left and then the PCS are lower, but when the jumps are good, the interpretation improves a lot. In Sochi, I was impressed, once more (like at the worlds 2012 and 2013) by the fact that he fought until the last second.
I agree with the ones who say his performances aren't so touching like others' great champions, but the kid lived the program. He wasn't Romeo, he isn't mature enough, but he is a 19 years old kid who put his heart and soul into that program.

It is incredible that he got more than 190 points at the GPF and still has so many things to improve:laugh: If he stays healthy (really really hope so), I wonder what world records he'll set in the next years.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I don´t think it has something to do with his "mental age", the content and complexity of the program were made to compete with Chan (and the Chanflantation), beside it was Yuzuru who chose the content of the program.
I like his programs full of energy, but I also like the drama and feeling that he ads to mature programs like Rome & Juliet from this year....
He is mature compare to teenager his age, but we all know young people tend to head for what they haven't experienced long enough to truly grasp the feelings. I don't say he is childish, of course, I just think it would be suitable for him to portray drama that fits his mental age. :laugh:
And I do think the current program is a good one, but he has not growing into it enough. Yes, it's a good strategy if you want to win against P-Chan. The program's content is full of score and score. So it's a strategy that worked well, despite falling at 4S most of the time. ;)
Frankly, his FS last year was only justified a bit at the TEB gala. It's not that David Wilson's programs were bad, it's just the kid is still growing and improving, he need more time to fit in the frame they expect him to fit.
That's why I said he needs programs that show his youthful energy. Look at what his SP has done, 4 time world records. He need more program like that.:)

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
It will be interesting to see what they do for the 2014-2015 season. Whit the chance of regulations and now allowing music with lyrics I hope he gets really cool programs.

lbc2138

On the Ice
Hi all!

Looking back at some pages it seems like everyone does a quick intro so I'll follow suit. The only figure skaters I could remember distinctly when I was little was Michelle Kwan. Also am a huge fan of Yuna Kim and Mao Asada around 2010. I discovered Yuzuru about 2 months before the Olympics when I came across a Tumblr post of his beautiful outfit for his Etude short program. Watched a couple of skates and he was my immediate favorite to win the gold. Now I have a renewed passion for being a good fan to figure skating and have been watching tons of videos (not only of Yuzu but other great skaters) and have decided to take up ice skating as a good way to do cardio! I've been lurking on this thread for quite some time and was originally following some Yuzuru-dedicated Tumblrs that reblog nice pictures and whatnot but decided to sign up since I wanted a more robust discussion about Yuzuru's figure skating and how far he's come. Looking forward to go on this journey with him for the next 4 years and beyond!

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
I agree. I think yuzu hasn't been able to connect with his last two FS, but I think R&J was better than Notre dame at least. I'm very curious to see what programs he will have the next season

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
Hi all!

Looking back at some pages it seems like everyone does a quick intro so I'll follow suit. The only figure skaters I could remember distinctly when I was little was Michelle Kwan. Also am a huge fan of Yuna Kim and Mao Asada around 2010. I discovered Yuzuru about 2 months before the Olympics when I came across a Tumblr post of his beautiful outfit for his Etude short program. Watched a couple of skates and he was my immediate favorite to win the gold. Now I have a renewed passion for being a good fan to figure skating and have been watching tons of videos (not only of Yuzu but other great skaters) and have decided to take up ice skating as a good way to do cardio! I've been lurking on this thread for quite some time and was originally following some Yuzuru-dedicated Tumblrs that reblog nice pictures and whatnot but decided to sign up since I wanted a more robust discussion about Yuzuru's figure skating and how far he's come. Looking forward to go on this journey with him for the next 4 years and beyond!

Welcome ! :D I remember in some videos of his performance many people were posting that they discovered him thanks to tumblr, wow

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Hi all!

Welcome:)

Choc0Lee

Spectator
It will be interesting to see what they do for the 2014-2015 season. Whit the chance of regulations and now allowing music with lyrics I hope he gets really cool programs.

Oh wow! Now they are allowing music with lyrics! Can't wait to see what people will do? I guess some people might stick to traditional classical orchestral instrumental pieces. Who is gonna break out of the pack? I think Yuzu can pull it off- he's got a young, upbeat spirit about him :)

Does anyone know the process behind creating a new piece? Since the figure skating season ends after the worlds, I would hope he takes some time to rest and relax! He deserves it! Knowing his work ethic and mentality he'll probably just keep on training...thru the entire off season!!! Quad king!!! :p

pooh-beanie

Rinkside
pls don't laugh at my excessive fangirling. im not even sure what part you're laughing at. maybe the biellman b/c i have a terrible biellman. or maybe the shipping thing, since shipping me with yuzuru would ultimately end with a very ugly ship (hehe me)

pooh-beanie

Rinkside
ah ty someone told me he wasn't jailbait anymore. UGH DOES HE COUNT AS CANADA OR JAPAn probs japan hes representing japan also you can't have duo citizenship with alotta asian countries. silly miikan. (don't mind my monologue im sorry) and tysm i have been enlightened

pooh-beanie

Rinkside
oh yes. yuyu. not so much 2Han right now. yuyu WOULD BE SO FRICKLIN ADORABLE THERES ALREADY SO MUCH EVIDENCE TO WORK WITH beside the whole they both don't have any common languages/coaches... we'll see

FTnoona

Final Flight
I don't see how he isn't mature enough to interpret Romeo and Juliet. Romeo was only what 17 in the play anyways and in no way was he mature. If anything, I think R&J needs a child like interpretation b/c Romeo and Juliet weren't making very mature decisions. He did amazing with R&J from 2011.
For me, the choreography for the last two freeskates could have been switch and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference (but it could also just be that since Wilson choreographed both, there were bound to be similarities). IMO the team took something that didn't really work (Notre Dame de Paris) and just continued working with it. The Romeo and Juliet cut even has the same build up as NDP. I would love for the team and Yuzu to pick a different type of music for next year. He's done somber lyrical music for two years already.