Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 38 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
If there is anyone right now who can land a quad axel in competition the future, it may very well be Yuzuru and maybe Han Yan as well whose triple axel "travels" a great distance. It's amazing that the triple axel, a jump that gives so much trouble to such greats as Lambiel and yes Patrick Chan, is such a solid jump for Yuzuru. He has said that the jump comes naturally to him. Of course practice, not just natural talent, makes it so.

Evegeny Plushenko also said in an interview after the Olympics that he thinks that Yuzuru can also do quad combinations (quad toe-quad toe) in the future. Plushenko has signified his interest in coaching Yuzuru. Previously Plushenko has turned down an offer from the JSF to coach Yuzuru because he believed that Yuzuru will be a serious rival in Sochi; this was very early in the last Olympic cycle when even people who spotted Yuzuru as a comer thought that 2018 will be the time that Yuzuru can be an Olympic contender. While I think Yuzuru can learn a lot from his idol, I think he is in a good place right now with Brian Orser and Tracy Wilson.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
I'm sure the 4S will be ok in the next seasons. He does it very well in practice and probably it's only because of the stress in the competitions. At Sochi, the 4S was almost ok, I thought for a moment that he nailed it, the rotation was perfect.
I'm looking forward to see his performance at worlds and I hope the media won't put much pressure on the kid.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
I'm sure the 4S will be ok in the next seasons. He does it very well in practice and probably it's only because of the stress in the competitions. At Sochi, the 4S was almost ok, I thought for a moment that he nailed it, the rotation was perfect.
I'm looking forward to see his performance at worlds and I hope the media won't put much pressure on the kid.

Unfortunately he will have all eyes on him because he is the OGM and since his olympic performance wasn't that good people are expecting a better one this time, but I do believe he can do that !

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Unfortunately he will have all eyes on him because he is the OGM and since his olympic performance wasn't that good people are expecting a better one this time, but I do believe he can do that !

Yeah, that's right, but I think he is expecting a better performance even more than the others do:yes: He is disappointed because he didn't win with a perfect program and this should be motivating. But what I think it's not that good for him is that he became very famous in a very short time (I also heard he's very popular on tumblr, but I don't know because I don't use it). He's young, talented and very cute and he caught the eyes of a lot of people (even ones who aren't figure skating fans).
Happily he trains in Canada and somehow stays away from the stress before the worlds at home.

Becki

Medalist
I thinked they aren't able to do two separate 4T only jumps isn't ?

I mean one would have to be in combination, that's why he has 4S rather than 4T + 4T3T like Patrick, because Yuzuru have heavily loaded programme in second half with two combinations with tripple axels, while Patrick is making first 3A in the 1st half.

I am very courius about 4A for YH. Looking that he can jump 3A without much speed and from very hard entry, it may will be possible to him to nail it ( but I don't think anyway he would use it because he have incredible level of execution combinations with 3A). We will see. Maybe he will do diffrent quad instead of 4S next season if he will not be able to master it in competition.

At this point in the game, Yuzuru can ditch his 4S and still dominate in the next quad. Patrick Chan, his closest rival for the time being, probably won't compete in the next few years. He has the reputation and with reputation comes pretty decent PCs. He has the technical ability - two 4Ts in his long program is still pretty top notch.

Of course, knowing Yuzuru he won't do that. Who knows if a youngster will overtake him in the next few years. And Yuzuru looks to push the technical boundaries, I wouldn't be surprised if he lands a 4Lz in competition next year :p

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
Yeah, that's right, but I think he is expecting a better performance even more than the others do:yes: He is disappointed because he didn't win with a perfect program and this should be motivating. But what I think it's not that good for him is that he became very famous in a very short time (I also heard he's very popular on tumblr, but I don't know because I don't use it). He's young, talented and very cute and he caught the eyes of a lot of people (even ones who aren't figure skating fans).
Happily he trains in Canada and somehow stays away from the stress before the worlds at home.

Knowing that he is perfectionist yes I agree that he is the one that wants to give an excellent performance the most. Sometimes I also worry about his fame, it creates more pressure for him, but well he deserves all of it :D. I also noticed many people discovered him thanks to tumblr o.o

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
At this point in the game, Yuzuru can ditch his 4S and still dominate in the next quad. Patrick Chan, his closest rival for the time being, probably won't compete in the next few years. He has the reputation and with reputation comes pretty decent PCs. He has the technical ability - two 4Ts in his long program is still pretty top notch.

Of course, knowing Yuzuru he won't do that. Who knows if a youngster will overtake him in the next few years. And Yuzuru looks to push the technical boundaries, I wouldn't be surprised if he lands a 4Lz in competition next year :p

Yes, Yuzuru was exactly that vis-a-vis Patrick Chan so he knows he cannot rest on his laurels and must keep on pushing his "upper level" to use his words to keep the even younger guns at bay. At this moment, I see as among Yuzuru's future rivals Americans Joshua Farris (who just needs to stabilize his quad but already has the artistry; looks up to both Daisuke and Yuzuru) and Jason Brown (once he gets his quad; his Riverdance is lightness and joy to Yuzuru's dramatic and passionate Romeo and Juliet), Russia's Maxim Kovtun (needs to develop the Plushenko competitive mentality; he is the one Plushenko should mentor), China's Han Yan (described by Yuzuru as his first serious rival when they were juniors) and Boyang Jin (a phenom, first landed his quadruple jump at 14, same age as when Yuzuru got his triple axel). As a Filipino, I wish our own Michael Christian Martinez can get sufficient support from the government and the private sector to be in the mix. he certainly has the talent. I hope all of them develop their potential so we skating fans can witness a Golden Age in men's figure skating.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Yes, Yuzuru was exactly that vis-a-vis Patrick Chan so he knows he cannot rest on his laurels and must keep on pushing his "upper level" to use his words to keep the even younger guns at bay. At this moment, I see as among Yuzuru's future rivals Americans Joshua Farris (who just needs to stabilize his quad but already has the artistry; looks up to both Daisuke and Yuzuru) and Jason Brown (once he gets his quad; his Riverdance is lightness and joy to Yuzuru's dramatic and passionate Romeo and Juliet), Russia's Maxim Kovtun (needs to develop the Plushenko competitive mentality; he is the one Plushenko should mentor), China's Han Yan (described by Yuzuru as his first serious rival when they were juniors) and Boyang Jin (a phenom, first landed his quadruple jump at 14, same age as when Yuzuru got his triple axel). As a Filipino, I wish our own Michael Christian Martinez can get sufficient support from the government and the private sector to be in the mix. he certainly has the talent. I hope all of them develop their potential so we skating fans can witness a Golden Age in men's figure skating.

It will be really hard for them to catch him in next about 2 seasons I think. They will need to match him in terms of technical execution which is not so easy : ] The closest one with Yuzuru ( in terms of FS score counting Yuzuru's PB) was I think Fernandez in his amazing performance at 2013 Euros with landing 3 beatifull quads. But still they will need a fantastic short program which Hanyu mastered extremely.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Han Yan has beautiful jumps (that 3A is :bow: ), but he has to work a lot to improve his PCS and I don't think it will happen in the next 2-3 years. Jason's Riverdance was amazing mostly because of the interpretation. However, (no matter what everyone says) he need a quad. Without it, there's no way he can win a world medal.
Apart from Chan, I think in the next years only Denis can beat Yuzu. (+you never know, maybe some very young skaters who'll appear out of nowhere).

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
What about Javier Fernández? Can he be a good rival ?

I don't know, I like Javi, he is very talented, but this season wasn't his best. I didn't like his programs, especially the SP, but it's just a matter of taste. It seemed to me that this seasons' programs were trying to imitate the Charlie Chaplin program, but didn't succeed. :think:
He can do way better and I hope he'll win the silver medal at worlds. But I don't think he can beat Yuzu unless he skates perfectly and the kid has major mistakes.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
What about Javier Fernández? Can he be a good rival ?[/QUOT

No doubt Javier Fernandez has the talent and the personality (so charming!) to be at the very top, but I think he needs to develop more of the intensity and competitive spirit that the likes of Yuzuru, Plushenko, etc. possess, who have scaled Olympic heights. To paraphrase Kurt Browning's commentary at the 2013-2014 GPF, to become an Olympic champion you have to "absolutely" want it. Yuzuru does. Javier has a considerably more laid-back approach and at times needs Brian Orser to fire him up.

Right now Yuzuru has all the ingredients to dominate this skating quad (pun unintended), while the others (Javier included and the "young guns" I previously mentioned as future rivals) still need to develop some aspect of their skating/competitive approach. Hope that Yuzuru stays healthy and also be blessed by luck (which also plays a part) because I agree with the British Eurosport commentators that he has the potential to be the greatest figure skater of all time.

lbc2138

On the Ice
So besides Javi and the fact that Patrick dropped out, there really isn't anyone who would pose a significant threat for Worlds this year to Yuzu (even if Yuzu fell on his salchow) seeing from the list of qualifiers here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_World_Figure_Skating_Championships

I've always liked Yan Han but I think if his FP was reworked he could prove a worthy opponent. I had high expectations for Reynolds going into Sochi but he seemed very nervous/may have peaked a little earlier on.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Yeah, I was also looking for some notable rivals, but I guess it all depends on Yuzu. If the kid has two clean programs, no one can beat him. If he has mistakes, Javi, Machida or even Kovtun have a chance. The battle for the bronze medal is also going to be interesting:popcorn:

moviechick

On the Ice
I hope he does get a good rival. I really disliked the last 4 years where Chan was seemingly so high above everyone that even his 3-4 splat performances were winning. I would really hate to see that happen with Yuzuru, even if it means losing some comps here and there, I would rather see him kept on his toes and only win when he performs up to par (unless it's truly a horrific splatfest like the Olympics).

Meoima

Match Penalty
I hope he does get a good rival. I really disliked the last 4 years where Chan was seemingly so high above everyone that even his 3-4 splat performances were winning. I would really hate to see that happen with Yuzuru, even if it means losing some comps here and there, I would rather see him kept on his toes and only win when he performs up to par (unless it's truly a horrific splatfest like the Olympics).
Lol, the kid did try his best at Olympic. There is no excuse for his 2 falls but well... all the other men were tedious and horrendous that night it was too painful to watch. So I think his win in Sochi is fair. :slink: I hope the kid say good bye to David Wilson and Jonny Weir, though.:disapp: Actually David Wilson I can endure, but Jonny Weir...:cry:
Anyways I think all the rivals are still out there, don't worry. :) PChan will come back, Javi and Han Yan will get better. I hope Reynolds will be better too. I hope to see all the new faces.
As for Boyang Jin... his jumps is good but other than the jumps...:slink: I have to say no.