Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 41 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
Thank you for sharing. :) So much emotion and beautiful gestures. Yuzuru bowing first before leaping on the podium and singing along as is his wont as the Japanese national anthem is being played. Patrick Chan taking off his cap as a sign of respect for the national flag and anthem of the rival who has edged him out for Olympic gold. Dennis Ten beaming at winning an Olympic medal, something many thought was beyond him in an injury-plagued season. This is what the Olympics is really all about.

:clap:

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Just shaking my head at reading this narration of an interview with Yuzuru after his triumphant return to Japan from Sochi: http://bowandstrings.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-39.html. So Yuzuru wants to master five kinds of quadruple jumps... and is practicing the quadruple axel as well as quad (4-4) combinations.

"There is no hesitation...'I can do it.'" Comment of British Eurosport commentator at Yuzuru's 2013 GPF FP where he proceeded full tilt to his quad toe after a "horrible fall" at his quad salchow.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Just shaking my head at reading this narration of an interview with Yuzuru after his triumphant return to Japan from Sochi: http://bowandstrings.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-39.html. So Yuzuru wants to master five kinds of quadruple jumps... and is practicing the quadruple axel as well as quad (4-4) combinations.

"

Plushenko said also as I readed that he thinks Yuzu can do in future quad-quad combo. He is thin, light and very fast with high height in jumps. Also 4A can not be so dangerous for him because of his body weight. Falls are not so painfull for him I think like for someone of body weight like Patrick Chan.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
We all know yuzuru's obsession with jumps, I just want him to be careful and not risk his health too much ^^

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Yuzu knows best what jumps he can do or can't do, so I don't think we have to worry it's too risky.:)

Yuzu and Javi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl-MrEsNm70

Thank you Silvia451 for sharing the video of Yuzuru and Javier's Olympic practice. No one seeing it can miss the respect and affection they have for each other. I think Yuzuru is fortunate to have a training mate like Javier who apparently treats him like a younger brother. In the very competitive world of figure skating that kind of bond is a great treasure.

Re Yuzuru and the quad jumps, my metaphorical shaking of the head is born of equal parts admiration for his ambition, and concern. Re the latter, I just take comfort that Yuzuru is aware (his idol Plushenko has reminded him of that) of the importance of remaining healthy so he will not take foolhardy risks; that he has a great support system in his family and coaches who will watch out for him; and that ultimately in life, including skating, nothing is risk-free so one should do what one must. As HanDomi points out, Yuzuru does have the ideal physique to pull off the quad jumps. Also Yuzuru's desire to always challenge himself means he will not (cannot?) rest until he has mastered all the quad jumps. That he said he is practicing the new quad jumps to boost his morale and not to immediately incorporate them into his program to me is an indication that he views having those jumps as an end in itself rather than a calculated cold-blooded way to boost his technical score though certainly the quad jumps will also do that. That is why I am a fan: he is as much an artist as an athlete. All that at only 19 years of age.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I like to add my thank you to Nonchan Yuzu for making videos on Yuzuru accessible to us non-Japanese speaking fans. Would also take this opportunity to say a big thank you to those who post gifs of Yuzuru moments, pictures, commentaries, etc. which lead me to appreciate him all the more. You guys are great!

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
I like to add my thank you to Nonchan Yuzu for making videos on Yuzuru accessible to us non-Japanese speaking fans. Would also take this opportunity to say a big thank you to those who post gifs of Yuzuru moments, pictures, commentaries, etc. which lead me to appreciate him all the more. You guys are great!

I understand you, I see news and videos of yuzu but can't understand a word :bang: so I feel really thankful with the people who translate :yay: and well I'm already learning japanese so maybe in the future I'll help ^^

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I understand you, I see news and videos of yuzu but can't understand a word :bang: so I feel really thankful with the people who translate :yay: and well I'm already learning japanese so maybe in the future I'll help ^^

Oh good for you! :clap: All the best in your Japanese language studies as the Yuzuru fandom needs as many translators as it can get. His appeal really transcends boundaries, linguistic and otherwise.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
Oh good for you! :clap: All the best in your Japanese language studies as the Yuzuru fandom needs as many translators as it can get. His appeal really transcends boundaries, linguistic and otherwise.

Thank you! Ikr this wouldn't be possible years ago, thanks technology haha

Choc0Lee

Spectator
Guys I just saw Patrick Chan post up a picture of a huge cut he got right before the Olympic gala on Instagram! If you guys have seen the clip of yuzuru spinning and then accidentally kicking Patrick then you'll probably assume that that's what happened...I mean that's what I think happened.

It's so dangerous out there- I honestly have no idea how they all practice on the same rink together at the same time. It takes a lot of concentration to focus on yourself and then you have to worry about hitting other people at the same time. Those blades are sharp!!!

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
Guys I just saw Patrick Chan post up a picture of a huge cut he got right before the Olympic gala on Instagram! If you guys have seen the clip of yuzuru spinning and then accidentally kicking Patrick then you'll probably assume that that's what happened...I mean that's what I think happened.

It's so dangerous out there- I honestly have no idea how they all practice on the same rink together at the same time. It takes a lot of concentration to focus on yourself and then you have to worry about hitting other people at the same time. Those blades are sharp!!!

I saw a fancam about that but in the video it looked like yuzuru cut a buttom from his shirt but I'm not sure, as you say it's dangerous so they must be careful ^^

Edit: I just saw the picture you are talking about and looks like indeed the blade cut him, well yuzuru should be more careful lol

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I saw a fancam about that but in the video it looked like yuzuru cut a buttom from his shirt but I'm not sure, as you say it's dangerous so they must be careful ^^

Edit: I just saw the picture you are talking about and looks like indeed the blade cut him, well yuzuru should be more careful lol
I think it's one of those things that looks worse than it is - probably a graze and bruising rather than a cut... because if it had actually been a cut that big, we would have seen Chan with a bloody shirt when it happened... and we didn't.

It looked like Chan skated up from behind Yuzuru as well, so I figure Yuzuru didn't see him coming. Clearly Chan wasn't expecting Hanyu to launch, so it's just one of those things - an accident, nobody's fault. And a lucky escape really, if Chan hadn't reacted so quickly it could have been a lot worse...!

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
I think it's one of those things that looks worse than it is - probably a graze and bruising rather than a cut... because if it had actually been a cut that big, we would have seen Chan with a bloody shirt when it happened... and we didn't.

It looked like Chan skated up from behind Yuzuru as well, so I figure Yuzuru didn't see him coming. Clearly Chan wasn't expecting Hanyu to launch, so it's just one of those things - an accident, nobody's fault. And a lucky escape really, if Chan hadn't reacted so quickly it could have been a lot worse...!

Yeah I mean after the accident Patrick seemed fine and that is why I thought nothing serious happened. Accidents happen always so everyone should be careful. Blades are really scary jeez

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Did you bother to look at the photo showing the size and depth of Patrick's cut? It was a real cut that is quite a few inches long. :eek: (With an especially large area of surrounding inflammation at the upper end.)

Not saying that it was anyone's fault, but it must have been painful.