Yuzuru Hanyu: 2012-13 Season | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2012-13 Season

jjane45

On the Ice
I have been wondering for a while, is there a name for the gliding maneuver he does that looks like a sideways lunge on the heel?

Photo

FTnoona

Final Flight
From the GPF Prediction thread.

For those of you who are predicting Hanyu will win silver or even gold at GPF, well, he’s staying in Sendai alone without a coach until GPF, while Orser will only coach Javier in Toronto. I rarely see anyone doing well when he/she prepares for major events without a coach, so I’m not expecting Hanyu to skate his SP well at GPF, and he could actually be off podium.

I hope that there will be someone watching over his training to at least provide some emotional/mental support when he's frustrated and to make sure he doesn't overwork and hurt himself. It's a shame that he didn't go back with Orser and Javi. His FS could have used a bit more tweeking to make it more manageable for him.

Am I the only Hanyu fan that dislikes his current FS? His SP has grown on me after first seeing it from The ICE, but his FS still does nothing for me.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

I hope that there will be someone watching over his training to at least provide some emotional/mental support when he's frustrated and to make sure he doesn't overwork and hurt himself. It's a shame that he didn't go back with Orser and Javi. His FS could have used a bit more tweeking to make it more manageable for him.

Am I the only Hanyu fan that dislikes his current FS? His SP has grown on me after first seeing it from The ICE, but his FS still does nothing for me.

Maybe he'll train with his old coach?

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker

Nope, you are not the only one. Actually Hanyu's both programs has been a bit of a disappointment this season despite the WR for short. I mean the Kid can sell anything, but unlike Romeo and Juliet that fit him naturally and where he can express effortlessly and seamlessly, this season's programs' efforts are all visible. It makes him seems trying too hard and looks a bit lost most of the time, from one performance to the next. He seems just going through the COP requirements relying entirely on his wits.

I'd call it his 'Lost in Translation' phase, I can't imagine how the communication goes with Buttle telling him and demonstrating at the same time: "dance more sexy, more manly" to a 16/17 year old who still carry pooh bear in his luggage. His FS program is a bit generic, and I don't think it bears anything to the Victor Hugo story, and are merely used as pleasant background music. Hanyu is naturally musical, but the expressions is without meaning or real emotion.

Same with Daisuke, all his charm seems to have been Morozapped out his choreography. I see a shell of the amazingly charming bonafide skating God, who appears merely mortal and a bit boring, which is all very strange.

Consider how much I enjoyed the men last year, this year is a bit anti climax. I am hopeful Jeremy and Patrick can rescue this season for me. I really like Jeremy's program, but I really want to love it if he polishes it up a bit and manage to go clean.

Last edited:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Nope, you are not the only one. Actually Hanyu's both programs has been a bit of a disappointment this season despite the WR for short. I mean the Kid can sell anything, but unlike Romeo and Juliet that fit him naturally and where he can express effortlessly and seamlessly, this season's programs' efforts are all visible. It makes him seems trying too hard and looks a bit lost most of the time, from one performance to the next. He seems just going through the COP requirements relying entirely on his wits.

I'd call it his 'Lost in Translation' phase, I can't imagine how the communication goes with Buttle telling him and demonstrating at the same time: "dance more sexy, more manly" to a 16/17 year old who still carry pooh bear in his luggage. His FS program is a bit generic, and I don't think it bears anything to the Victor Hugo story, and are merely used as pleasant background music. Hanyu is naturally musical, but the expressions is without meaning or real emotion.

Same with Daisuke, all his charm seems to have been Morozapped out his choreography. I see a shell of the amazingly charming bonafide skating God, who appears merely mortal and a bit boring, which is all very strange.

Consider how much I enjoyed the men last year, this year is a bit anti climax. I am hopeful Jeremy and Patrick can rescue this season for me. I really like Jeremy's program, but I really want to love it if he polishes it up a bit and manage to go clean.

+1
Yes, your post is exactly how I feel concerning Yuzuru and Daisuke. It scares me that I kind of like Patrick Chans FS more than those of my favourites. :unsure:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
MaiKatze said:
Yes, your post is exactly how I feel concerning Yuzuru and Daisuke. It scares me that I kind of like Patrick Chans FS more than those of my favourites. :unsure:

Haha, count me in on that! :laugh:
But if we're just honest, Patricks FS this year is extremly beautiful, there's like no way for me not to like it.

I do like Yuzurus SP by now. At first, I really didn't like it on him, but I think he's grown into it. Now he performs the hell out of it and gets the reward for it. And probably Orser does deserve some credit here for getting his SP more consistent. It's just been two events, but last year he was prone to some 'stupid' mistake in the SP so he had to fight his way back with the FS.
The FS on the other hand... I don't know what to think of it. The music might be good for him to pace himself, but his Romeo had so much more drama and power I think it helped him to push trough when the stamina issues kicked in. Now sometime in between Yuzu just starts to look a little lost. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for him to start getting better with it and even nail it, best at worlds. If he'd really nail it, I doubt the subpar choreography would be holding his PCS back :biggrin:

Oh, and this video of Yuzu's FS at 2012 WC just got over 1,000,000 views!! Congrats, baby Yuzu! :rock:

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
^ I wonder if we ever see anything like that from him if the things go as they are going now. :no:

yude

Record Breaker
I have been wondering for a while, is there a name for the gliding maneuver he does that looks like a sideways lunge on the heel?

Photo

Yuzuru calls it "an alternative Lunge" in this article.

http://www.japanskates.com/interviews/Yuzuru_Finlandia2012_interview_en.htm

I may be a minority here, but I liked his SP since I saw it for the first time (THE ICE video).
FP...I don't know yet.
Somehow it reminds me of his Zigeunerweisen program.
Programs are so hard for his stamina, and he doesn't have room for musical expression, IMO.
He admitted himself that he couldn't skate Zigeunerweisen program as he wished in the whole season.

The Romeo and Juliet program is very special for me.
I was a casual fan of figure skating for many years, was never a fan of a particular skater.
But this program and Yuzuru himself made me have more interests in skating and participate in this forum.
However, I felt almost nothing when I saw it in COC and COR last season.
Interestingly, I was so shocked and fascinated by his performance in GPF, it was all of a sudden.
I hope that it will happen to me with regard to his FP this season.

evangeline

Record Breaker
I was a casual fan of figure skating for many years, was never a fan of a particular skater.
But this program and Yuzuru himself made me have more interests in skating and participate in this forum.
Interestingly, I was so shocked and fascinated by his performance in GPF, it was all of a sudden.

Yuzuru's Romeo and Juliet program is special to me too, it definitely made me a fan of his skating. I felt nothing for Yuzuru at all when I first saw him skate a few years ago when he was a junior, but then suddenly BAM! Romeo and Juliet. As for Notre Dame, I think his stamina issues definitely affect the program, but I just don't think the choreography is that strong. I hope he goes back to Bestemianova and Bukin at least once more for choreography, but sadly I don't think that's going to happen....

Lunna

On the Ice
Almost same here )) I first saw Yuzuru on TV at last year's COC, didn't get much into his FS, mostly was like 'Ah, what a cute and flexible boy!', was very glad that I was going to COR, even brought a stuffed toy with me for the first time to the competition )))
At GPF I paid more attention to the program itself and at Worlds it was one of the most emotional performances I ever saw.
It's the first time I'm a fan of a figure skater in many many years. I was rooting usually for sportsmens from my country (but of course liked somebody more then others) and for such artists as Stefan and Dai.
I hope that later in the season Yuzuru will be able to put some emotion into his FP, I think it has good beginning but maybe lacks strong music in the end (unlike Romeo).
But I can say that I'm in love with his SP, especially after such great performances as at SA and NHK, it seems like I can re-watch it again and again )))

yude

Record Breaker

I like this photo :laugh:
I remembered that Yuzuru was still 17 and an ordinary boy although his talent was extraordinary.
This one was taken at the airport (busy kid!) in summer, and he was studying Japanese history.
"I like using several colors of pens", he said.

He is going to be 18 during GPF.
It 's not related to skating, but he is barely old enough to legally married in Japan :biggrin:

evangeline, Lunna, thank you for your replies!!