Yuzuru Hanyu: 2012-13 Season | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2012-13 Season

Kalina

On the Ice
Fancam of the new SP at Mariposa Gala: here. The author asked not to edit it/re-upload it anywhere else.

Is that a hockey sized rink? It looks really small. I wonder if he singled the axel because he would have risked crashing into the crowd, but I can't really judge from the video.

What Jeff Buttle had to say about the SP to the Japanese media during The Ice tour: here.

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Maybe the rink really was the reason for the popped Axel, but I'd just wish to see a clean one again - he popped it or fell on it in the last videos from DOI/the Ice I saw too. It's usually his best jump.

That aside, well... the quality isn't the best (although I'm grateful anyway it was uploaded of course!) and it's just pretty early to tell, but I don't think it suits him. The choreo isn't bad or anything, I just don't like it on Yuzuru. Maybe I'll get used to it though.

giulia95

Medalist
All I can say is that I really feel terribly sorry for Hanyu. It's too painful to watch the SP for me. And I couldn't believe my eyes when I red what Buttle said about the SP: a bit of sexiness in the choreo to get the audience really excited... excited for what? Is he a toy? it seems all the canadian men around Hanyu are sex obsessed.....

Is this supposed to be the JSF "upper level"?

I'm speechless. What a tremendous waste!

Kalina

On the Ice
Maybe the rink really was the reason for the popped Axel, but I'd just wish to see a clean one again - he popped it or fell on it in the last videos from DOI/the Ice I saw too. It's usually his best jump.

That aside, well... the quality isn't the best (although I'm grateful anyway it was uploaded of course!) and it's just pretty early to tell, but I don't think it suits him. The choreo isn't bad or anything, I just don't like it on Yuzuru. Maybe I'll get used to it though.

Maybe the 'curse of the 3A' is hitting him too :laugh: just kidding of course.

He's interpretating the music well, but I can't really say if he pulls it off. If he does, it could definitely help with judges, though.
If I like it or not... :think:

giulia95

Medalist
He can skate beautifully to everything;) but you don't really need to be Hanyu to skate to that SP :disapp:

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
giulia95 said:
And I couldn't believe my eyes when I red what Buttle said about the SP: a bit of sexiness in the choreo to get the audience really excited... excited for what? Is he a toy? it seems all the canadian men around Hanyu are sex obsessed.....

I was kind of annoyed when I read that Interview the first time too. But the 'sexiness'-part sounded worse in the interview than it looked in his performance, I think. It looks more gentle and suave than aggressive or overdone (like his ex does), so it doesn't really bother me. It just sounds too much additional to this new trashy Ex.

Kalina said:
He's interpretating the music well, but I can't really say if he pulls it off. If he does, it could definitely help with judges, though.
If I like it or not...

Yes, and I think pulling this music off (although I love it) isn't exactly easy. He'll get better the more often he performs it for sure, and it's still quite new for him. I'll leave the decision to really like it or not for later and more performances :)

seabm7

Final Flight
Is that a hockey sized rink? It looks really small. I wonder if he singled the axel because he would have risked crashing into the crowd, but I can't really judge from the video.

Usually, there are on-ice tables at the Mariposa gala. The available rink area is smaller than the regular size.

Kalina

On the Ice
Usually, there are on-ice tables at the Mariposa gala. The available rink area is smaller than the regular size.

Thank you, I see the tables now :) Hadn't noticed them before.

I agree with Li'Kitsu, the short program looks more suave than sexy and it is not overdone. I just have to see it in competition to decide if he can pull it off completely and if I like it or not.

willywonka

Rinkside
Yuzuru Hanyu will win the gold in Sochi! He is super brilliantly talented. Posture and stamina can be solved. No big deal. He can jump and feel. He will beat these people. :mad:

Evgeni Plushenko – Cannot feel. Old man.
Brian Joubert – Cannot feel. Old man.
Evan Lysacek – Cannot jump. Old man.
Johnny Weir – Cannot jump. Old man
Jeremy Abbot – Cannot jump. Old man.
Daisuke Takahashi – Cannot jump.
Adam Rippon – Cannot jump.
Patrick Chan – Cannot feel.
Xavier Fernandez – Cannot feel.
Artur Gachinski – Cannot feel.
Joshua Farris – Cannot feel.
Jason Brown – Cannot jump.
Han Yan – Cannot feel.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Fancam of the new SP at Mariposa Gala: here. The author asked not to edit it/re-upload it anywhere else.

What Jeff Buttle had to say about the SP to the Japanese media during The Ice tour: here.

Thanks for this. I am very surprised by this choice of music. It reminded me of the sort of background music played at those seedy 'karaoke' bars/night clubs in Japan, and Hanyu is playing the role of the giglo (Think of Magic Hanyu instead of 'Magic Mike') wonder if Jeff has been to one of those when he was visiting there?

Well nothing much to comment, can't see the details, except maybe TPTB tried to package him too much to become the next sex symbol/pin up boy, the younger Daisuke. They are missing the point, what makes Hanyu's performance last year memorable was the fact he appear to have an effortless princely command and charisma. By trying too hard, it might work against his purity and he does have them. Any idea what is his long program?

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Don't really know the music. The sound was skipping a lot. Yuzuru has matured so much! I think he should and it's a charming program. You cannot expect him always hold a pooh bear.

giulia95

Medalist
I don’t think maturity is sexiness related at all.

Hanyu has already demonstrated to be a very mature and sensitive boy after he barely survived to a terrible naturale disaster and was able to overcome his personal devastation.
He is a mature skater able to skate to very serious stuff.:)

Actually he is the pale shadow of himself, because they removed what has made him original and very different from all the other skaters: immense elegance, lightness and amazing fluency on the ice . I’m missing his soft deep arms movements too.

They have turned him into a "normal skater".:disapp:
I’m not even sure his spins are as good as usual and it’s a bit scary to see solo jumping, no combos.

Kalina

On the Ice
I’m not even sure his spins are as good as usual and it’s a bit scary to see solo jumping, no combos.

Isn't this a bit too much? I can understand not liking it, and it's fine, but it was a show. I would start worrying if he forgets combos during a competiton, to be honest.

deedee1

Record Breaker
but you don't really need to be Hanyu to skate to that SP :disapp:

Sorry to say but I kind of have to agree with giulia...:no: To be honest, it's not necessary to be Yuzuru to skate to that music. :sarcasm:
The season has not started yet and I believe Yuzuru has an ability to pull it off for sure, though.

giulia95

Medalist
He loves jumping! In 2011 summer shows he even performed 4T/3T combo and we all know he had to partecipate to 60 shows to continue his training after the earthquake.:)

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
giulia95 said:
He loves jumping! In 2011 summer shows he even performed 4T/3T combo and we all know he had to partecipate to 60 shows to continue his training after the earthquake.

Yes he does, but he did 4T-3A and as it seems 4S-3A too at the Ice, aswell as his SP with 4T3T, 3A and 3Lz - from what some people reported. And this is just a gala with a very small ring, I think it's okay if he just does solo jumps.
And I don't see what's suppossed to be bad about his Spins... thing is, you don't even see them properly because there are other people in the way.

I don't really know what that "you don't have to be Yuzuru to skate that SP" is suppossed to mean... the only skaters that I thought could pull off music just they could are Daisuke and Jeremy. And Hanyu is 17, he is immensly talented but still not in the same league yet. It's not about being the only one who can skate a programm (in relation to the music, when has that happened?), it's about having a unique way of interpretating that given music. I think Hanyu will learn that as he continues to get used to the programm.
And maybe they will still rework some parts of it before the first competitions.

emdee

Final Flight
I don't really know what that "you don't have to be Yuzuru to skate that SP" is suppossed to mean... the only skaters that I thought could pull off music just they could are Daisuke and Jeremy. And Hanyu is 17, he is immensly talented but still not in the same league yet. It's not about being the only one who can skate a programm (in relation to the music, when has that happened?), it's about having a unique way of interpretating that given music. I think Hanyu will learn that as he continues to get used to the programm.
And maybe they will still rework some parts of it before the first competitions.

I agree totally. Hanyu is an immense talent and he will hopefully reach his potential.

lakeside

On the Ice
the only skaters that I thought could pull off music just they could are Daisuke and Jeremy. And Hanyu is 17, he is immensly talented but still not in the same league yet.
I agree that maybe Jeremy can pull off any music, classical, modern, rock ‘n’ roll, etc. But I’m not sure about Takahashi, he tried many classical programs before 2007-2008 season but never pulled off any of them. Not so many people said he was an artist back then. His Sabre Dance and Paganini programs were quite awful, no better than Nobunari’s classical programs. Takahashi had a breakthrough when he skated techno Swan program at 21. Then he sticks to that style and never returns to classical music.

I’m also a fan of Takahashi’s techno Swan and Eye programs, but his classical programs failed. The 17 year old Yuzru needs to work hard to improve if he wants to win OGM, but I have to admit that he is already much better than Takahashi at interpreting classical music. Yuzru skated to a Russian classical music in his SP this past season, and he did a good job. Takahashi also skated to Russian composers like Rachmaninoff and Tchaikovsky but he was not as good as Yuzru. Takahashi also skated to Romeo and Juliet, but it was not as good as Yuzru’s Romeo and Juliet program. Takahashi’s POTO and Aranjuez programs were not good either.