Yuzuru Hanyu: 2012-13 Season | Page 38 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2012-13 Season

jjane45

On the Ice
Does anyone have more news on his ligament injury? It sounds severe enough that he not only skips gala (if healthy no doubt he'll be there) but also the world team trophy. Get well soon Yuzuru and take GOOD care of yourself!!!

zydeco88

On the Ice
Yuzuru is on the list of skaters who will be appearing in Art on Ice, held in Yoyogi National Gymnasium, 1st Gymnasium which has the capacity of 13,291 people, in Japan, on June 1-2. The list might be tentative, though, as they might add more names or remove the ones who can't perform due to extenuating circumstances.

sweet_Michelle

Rinkside
Does anyone have more news on his ligament injury? It sounds severe enough that he not only skips gala (if healthy no doubt he'll be there) but also the world team trophy. Get well soon Yuzuru and take GOOD care of yourself!!!

It's only to be expected that he skiped Gala and WTT, either ligament injury or avulsion fracture requireds at east 4 weeks for recovering, in his case, since the injury of his ankle has become kinda chronic, plus ligament injury of his knee, I think he'll take time off more than 4 weeks.

Wish our boy a speedy recovery.

emdee

Final Flight
Hanyu skated very courageously . I love Hanyu and wish he was on the podium but not to be.
He was so cute the way he kept bowing. I think the next time I see him live I am going to get fans to bow back at him.

It made sense that he didnt do the gala and the Dai fans went crazy for him.

giulia95

Medalist
Yuzu withdrew from GPF EX too because he was exausted , so it's the second time this has happened in the same season :rolleye:

Hanyu skated very courageously . I love Hanyu and wish he was on the podium but not to be.
He was so cute the way he kept bowing. I think the next time I see him live I am going to get fans to bow back at him.

It made sense that he didnt do the gala and the Dai fans went crazy for him.

This kid has such drive and determination. I hope he gives himself the time to recover and get back to full strength. He was smart not to skate in the gala. We'll look for him in the Olympics gala next year,

giulia95

Medalist
His team has serious work to do in coming up with a better method to keep him healthy heading into next season. I'm starting to think he's got a bit of a hot-headed teenager approach to his training though, and I don't agree that his health and injury problems can be entirely blamed on his coaching team. He's got to learn to be responsible about his well being and not do things like overtraining while away from his coach or practicing quads in secret. That's got to come from him, it's part of the growing process.

Honestly I think an irresponsible and hot-headed teenager will never appear in a textbook of morals and ethics for japanese junior highschool students in the next school year and not even an irresponsible and severly asthmatic teen skater would have survived to 60 shows during the big Earthquake summer, ending the same season with a World bronze medal! :eek:: :)

May be the point is just that Yuzuru used to train only TWO HOURS PER DAY in Sendai , which worked perfectly for him , preventing OVERWORKING and MAJOR INJURIES. Just a very peculiar and appropriate training schedule for a very delicate kid.

Actually the new team has forced him into a massive daily training ( 4 to 6 hours per day?) based on SS mainly, which turned out to be destructive on his underweight body from the very beginning of the season ( he collapsed at FT too!). However they have never changed this ineffective training policy and it’s not clear on which basis this extremely poor and chronic situation is supposed to get better in the future.

Having that said , I don’t know if Yuzu has trained quads secretly , but if it’s true I wouldn’t say this kid is a hot-headed teenager , I ‘d rather say it’s just another piece of the puzzle that makes a lot of sense, the same as when he trained alone in Japan before GPF and JN.

But now I’m really curious about the quads secret training episode! :laugh:

Is there anybody who knows it?

zydeco88

On the Ice
^ Not that I'm aware of. I have yet to come across any print, broadcast or online media mentioning about his practicing quads in secret. Could have been a hastily-drawn conclusion based on his pigeon-post interview.
I read somewhere before that he's currently committed to 3-4 hours of on-ice training a day, so if you take into account the off-ice training, physical and mental conditioning, the fact that he had to deal with the stress juggling his studies in between, making frequent trips between Canada and Japan, this training regimen could have backfired and severely deteriorated his health. But I agree with pitterpatter that we can't entirely blame his coaching team for what has happened. He could have very well overtrained himself while not under his coach's supervision. Cos how would we know if he didn't? We're not physically there with him to witness what has actually transpired during his training. This kid is just 18 but he's already burdened with lots of responsibility. He has to live up to people's expectations of him as a young talented figure skater. He can't allow himself to be dismissed as a run-of-the-mill competitor or a failure. He hates to lose, is driven to win and is a highly competitive individual.
And of course, a portion of the blame should go to JFS for overworking their top skaters more than they can handle.
Anyway, it was really commendable that he was capable of making a comeback and redeeming himself in the free this time after a series of disasters in the practice sessions leading up to it except the last one. And I'm sure that it wasn't solely due to his strong determination but also because of the help and support from his team. I just hope that they will figure out something that better suits him, well because y'know, whether you like it or not, he's going to stick with this team at least until Sochi Olympics, and even longer if they succeed in helping him attain his goal.

Becki

Medalist
Yuzu withdrew from GPF EX too because he was exausted , so it's the second time this has happened in the same season :rolleye:

When was the first time? Anyways, I give him props for even skating the LP! Who cares about the Gala, really lol