Yuzuru Hanyu: 2012-13 Season | Page 47 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2012-13 Season

jjane45

On the Ice
3 quads :love: I don't know if he is physically strong enough to take on that challenge but surely the only thing he is thinking is "If Javi can do it, so can I" :laugh:

I think you nailed it.

Thank you everyone for the information! :yay:

Kalina

On the Ice
I read in an article published after Worlds (in japanese) that he's had asthma since he was 3 years old and that he takes medication for it twice a day. Unfortunately I can't find it anymore, but perhaps wxunxx can? :) (thank you for joining, by the way, I've been reading you... I was hoping you'd start writing here too, I'm glad you did)

I'm sorry because I'm probably stating the obvious, but I'm pretty sure that being 18 years old (and a half) qualifies someone as a young adult, not a kid. As in, someone who's almost, if not completely finished growing physically, someone who can get married and start a family, who can vote etc.
Besides that, I won't comment on his health, because I can only take what he says for granted, can't I? I'm a student of foreign languages, not medicine; I'm not his mother, nor his sister, nor his coach. The closest I've ever been to him in my whole life, physically, was when he competed at the JGP in Merano, but I didn't even know he existed :) I don't see him train every day, I don't know what he does besides those few minutes I see him compete or train in tv clips. As such, I can't pretend to know more than he does, or the people that are around him do. How could I? As a fan, I can only hope he takes care of himself, but if he doesn't, well, it's his life, his career, his choices. He's old enough, I'd say.

FTnoona

Final Flight
It has been discussed a lot in the Edge and competition threads that CoP doesn't reward a quad combo enough. I won't go now into why this system was introduced considering when it was introduced. But the fact is that now a quad combo gives you the chance to perform the same quad one more time, like 4T and then 4T-3T(or 2T), or 4S and then 4S-3T(or 2T). So it does make sense to incude a quad combo and not just as a wow factor. Another question is who can do two quads in SP from top athletes. Probably Plu could pull it (before).
You can't have a 4T-3T and 3A-3T in the same prog. I mean you can, but the second combo will count as invalid element.

I thought you couldn't repeat a quad or triple in the SP, so the quad combo isn't really worth it unless you can perform a different quad as the solo jumping pass. "For Senior Men when a quadruple jump is executed in a jump combination, a different quadruple jump can be included as a solo jump".

I can see the point of Hanyu performing a quad combo in the FS b/c his 4T is very consistent. With so many jumping passing, I assume that there must be some combination to max out his point or at least make it as much or higher than the one he attempted this season. Hanyu can perform both the 4T-3T and 3A-3T, he will just have to take out another repeated triple. If we take his current layout and add the 4T-3T and he wants to keep the 3A-3T, he would have to take out a 3Lz that he is currently repeating. He would also have to remove the 3Lz combo b/c the max number of combos is 3. "Of all the triple and quadruple jumps only two (2) can be repeated and these repetitions must be in either a jump-combination or in a jump sequence." - (both quotes are in p.14) http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-197593-214816-125742-0-file,00.pdf

Actually that's a may not a must. So we will see what's going on next season. But I'm sure Yuzuru desperately want to put three quads in his free program. He insisted couple times before.

If Hanyu really wants to do 3 quads in his program, especially if it is 3 different quads, I hope that his coach may try to persuade him otherwise. It was so sad to see how exhausted he was with a 2 different quad program. If he really wants to go for three quads, I hope that he will concede and repeat the 4T. Incorporating a new quad when the 4S is still unreliable does not sound like a good plan to me.

wxunxx

Rinkside
http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/winter/news/20130317-OHT1T00014.htm

Hi Kalina, I believe this is something you are looking for. It released some detailed informations of his asthma. Actually his physical conditions was explained quite a lot in previous magazines.

Yuzuru has been suffering asthma since he's 3 years old, even now he still has to take medicine twice daily, morning and night. Meanwhile he also has hay fever, all influences on his poor stamina. Sometimes Yuzuru has trouble to get sleep because of sensitive nerves, and also he has a small appetite.

And Kalina, I really appreciated your kind words.

jjane45

On the Ice
I'm sorry because I'm probably stating the obvious, but I'm pretty sure that being 18 years old (and a half) qualifies someone as a young adult, not a kid. As in, someone who's almost, if not completely finished growing physically, someone who can get married and start a family, who can vote etc.

Actually, wikipedia says the age of majority in Japan is 20; persons under 20 are not permitted to smoke, drink, or vote. I wonder if it's part of the reason his mom stays in Canada as well, legal guardian and all?

But I agree that Yuzuru is old enough to make lots of decisions himself. As a fan on an internet forum there is not much one can do to affect how he chooses to train, maybe just passing on positive energy and hope for the best. :yay:

wxunxx

Rinkside
Actually, wikipedia says the age of majority in Japan is 20; persons under 20 are not permitted to smoke, drink, or vote. I wonder if it's part of the reason his mom stays in Canada as well, legal guardian and all?

But I agree that Yuzuru is old enough to make lots of decisions himself. As a fan on an internet forum there is not much one can do to affect how he chooses to train, maybe just passing on positive energy and hope for the best. :yay:

Yuzuru's mother, Yumi San explained once in the interview, she move to Canada with Yuzuru is simply because she worries her son's health, she just wants to take care of her son. Yuzuru said he dislikes eat out and he really likes the food his mother made for him in recent magazine interview.

HJJ

Rinkside
Yuzuru's mother, Yumi San explained once in the interview, she move to Canada with Yuzuru is simply because she worries her son's health, she just wants to take care of her son. Yuzuru said he dislikes eat out and he really likes the food his mother made for him in recent magazine interview.

I read that Yuzu's mom said he would starve without her because he cannot cook. There is one thing he cannot do. :laugh:

HJJ

Rinkside
If he really wants to go for three quads, I hope that he will concede and repeat the 4T. Incorporating a new quad when the 4S is still unreliable does not sound like a good plan to me.

Including 4 loop was almost a joke from Yuzuru beacause he was kind of jealous of Javi working on 4 loop, I think. So I think we don't have to worry about it seriously at least for next season.:)

I read somewhere that Javi wants to try 4 quads in his free next season. If that really happens, I can imagine how hard Yuzu wants to practice. But I really hope that he will remember what he learned from 2013 Worlds and the injury.

zydeco88

On the Ice
Size doesn't always indicate lung capacity. I think of someone like Rudy Galindo, who was pretty small for a pairs skater, and he was splendid. Also, many ladies skaters are very tiny, and women have less lung capacity as a rule than comparably conditioned men.

Of course the asthma complicates matters. But it's the lack of off-ice conditioning that probably causes the most problems, because it affects not just stamina but strength. If you have to use more power to rotate your jumps, you are not being energy-efficient. I know that a lot of skaters do things such as Pilates (which is known for building core strength) and weight training. Even if the Sendai rink could only spare Yuzuru two hours a day, he could have found a way to do some other kind of conditioning. I hope Brian is able to rectify this lack.

Interestingly, I found a used book about how to skate by Maribel Vinson Owen. It's very old and dates from a time when there weren't a lot of indoor rinks around. She had a sentence in there about how to train for skating if you didn't have access to a rink! These days, with our more knowledgeable trainers, there's probably a lot that can be done to build stamina and even compensate for lung problems. Yoga, for example, centers on breathing. I hope Yuzuru figures all this out so that skating isn't a misery for him.

But Rudy Galindo has broader thorax which translates to bigger lungs and greater volume of air taken in with each breath (I should've written the size of thoracic cavity instead of body size). Of course, as you said, there are ways to increase lung capacity by improving one's breathing efficiency. Resistance training and as someone suggested in The Edge, training at higher elevation might make for a good lung workout. But again, it all depends on the severity of his asthma. The bottom line is (cardio)respiratory fitness plays a very important role in ensuring that he can do all the elements without running out of breath at the end. I understand that he wanted to put off off-ice training in the past for fear that it would hamper his growth (he wanted to get taller), but it has taken a toll on his FS performances so far. Now, I just hope that he and his team will find out a way to solve the issue (or maybe they have, but it's just that the process takes time). And of course, it would be beneficial for him to develop a sturdier physique, too (um, probably in the expense of flexibility, but I don't mind if he loses his Biellmann spin as I'm not really fond of it :p).

Yeah, I could do without the Biellmann too!

I think he can't be stingy about conditioning anymore, or he will suffer in one way or another. He will have more injuries, and/or he will lack the needed stamina.

You're right about size vs. shape in terms of lung capacity, of course. I think we were both being simplistic so as not to get bogged down in technicalities. My point was just that everyone with heaps of lung didn't have to be built like Lloyd Eisler, which is true. Rudy certainly had a lot of power for his size. Another example of a small man with outsized energy is Paul Wylie. But again, Yuzuru's physical health is a complicating factor that makes it impossible to compare him with almost anyone else.

HelTra91

Rinkside
Hello! It's my 1st post in this forum but I read it for some times.

I hesitated to write something here because I know that I won't certainly post so often, I have troubles to express my thoughts clearly in english.
But finally I decided to show my support for Yuzuru even if it's just one post.

I used to be one of those who criticised his changing location and coaching, but I felt worse than anything and thought it was useless to wish something we can't control.
Yuzuru makes his own decisions and whatever they are, we can't prevent him for doing it. So we just have to accept it, if not, it's like banging your head against a wall, it hurts.
wxunxx's 1st post made me realised this. And I feel better now, thinking that way.
So like she/he said, let's trust Yuzuru and wait. And congratulation for his graduation! Party on! :clap: :hb:

Yunamao!! Welcome to the party! :party:

HJJ

Rinkside
You can't have a 4T-3T and 3A-3T in the same prog. I mean you can, but the second combo will count as invalid element.

Why not? I was not talking about SP. I was talking about FS. You can repeat the same quad twice (second one should be in combo) and the same triple twice. The quads and the triples count separately (so a quad toe is different than a triple toe). There shouldn't be more than 2 kinds of jumps repeated.

If Yuzu has 3 quads next season, a jump layout will be like 4t, 4t-3t, 4s, 3a-2t-2t, 3f, 3lz, 3lz-2t, 3loop or 4t, 4t-2t, 4s, 3f, 3a-2t, 3a, 3lz-2t-2t, 3loop or 4t, 4t-3t, 4s, 3f, 3a-3t, 3lz-2t-2t, 3loop, 3sal or etc...

If it's all true (keep in mind that I learned to trust 100% only video/radio interviews of skaters/coaches rather than media or pigeon post's twitter), then it means that his current coach is completely out of the control. And the way how he keeps putting all the responsibility of the failure season on the skater's shoulders only confirms that he is unfit for this job.

I don't remember Orser saying that it's all Yuzu's fault. It's Yuzu who said that he pushed himself too hard and should have slowed down. Orser mentioned only about his sickness and injury. That's it.

Yuzu's history of overtraining himself was there long before he moved to Canada. Even when he was with Abe coach, he overtrained and injured himself. (Isn't that what wxunxx said?) Even at 2012 Worlds, he injured his ankle again during FS practice while he practiced several 4T. I am sure that Abe coach was there. But does that make Abe coach a bad coach?

It cannot be all coach's responsibility. Yes, a coach should be able to control her/his skater and should guide and direct a skater how to train properly. But a skater (even parents if a skater is minor) should make sure that he/she follows his/her coach's directions. That's a skater's responsibility. If a skater is injured because he was irresponsible (i.e. didn't follow his coach's directions), then you cannot solely blame a coach for that. And I am saying this as a skating mom for 8 years.

wxunxx

Rinkside
Thanks zydeco88, I think maybe Yuzuru will skate True Love, most widely loved song from Fujii San, I remember I was listening this song when I was little, such sweet memories.

HJJ

Rinkside
Thanks zydeco88, I think maybe Yuzuru will skate True Love, most widely loved song from Fujii San, I remember I was listening this song when I was little, such sweet memories.

I was thinking the same song, too!

wxunxx

Rinkside
I was thinking the same song, too!

Oh so sweet!!It's a fabulous song, isn't it? Fearing to that famous TV drama ASUNARO HAKUSHO.

Whatever Yuzuru will skate, the choreographer goes to Miyamoto San IMAO. Can't wait!

FTnoona

Final Flight
I think Boy's Heart or Go The Distance is more suitable for Yuzu, though. ;) Fumiya-san has a lot of good songs, we're spoilt for choice. :)

I love Go The Distance especially when it's sung with a softer voice like the original movie version. It's my favorite Disney song and I totally agree that this song would fit Hanyu's journey, especially with the little hick up in the road with all the injuries and coaching controversy, he is out to prove himself just like young Hercules :yes:

HJJ

Rinkside
I think Boy's Heart or Go The Distance is more suitable for Yuzu, though. ;) Fumiya-san has a lot of good songs, we're spoilt for choice. :)

Oh my... 'I can go the distance' The lyrics of this song is just for Yuzu. He is not seeking for love though, of course:) "I can do it. I can go the distance.." I can imagine him skating to it. I like this song. Thank you for the link.:)