Yuzuru Hanyu: 2012-13 Season | Page 63 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2012-13 Season

zydeco88

On the Ice
These photos looks like they were taken in April at the JSF award ceremony (same hairstyle, same clothes etc.). Akiko still has long hair in her photo. Unless there was another event recently?
No, if you scroll down the auction page, you'll see 出品物情報 or the item description. It says there that they had him sign the hand towel at the 2013 Four Continents FS Championships. So, we still do not know whether he's currently in Japan or Canada.
The autographs on the other charity goods (Mao's, Akiko's, Dai's and Mura's) were taken during WTT.

Kalina

On the Ice
No, if you scroll down the auction page, you'll see 出品物情報 or the item description. It says there that they had him sign the hand towel during 2013 Four Continents FS Championships. So, we still do not know whether he's currently in Japan or Canada.
The autographs on the other charity goods (Mao's, Akiko's, Dai's and Mura's) were taken during WTT.

Thank you for pointing that out, I hadn't noticed :)

zydeco88

On the Ice
That's an interesting link. I saw the pics-links only. Good way to know who is more popular. The auction among girls has finished already, it took place a week earlier. No surprises there- Mao leads.

The latest bid on Dai's hand towel is staggering. It currently stands at 81,000 yen (with greater average bid increment) and even managed to eclipse the final bid on Mao's hand towel. The bidders still have 5 days left and with the way things have panned out so far, it could break into the 100,000 territory. :laugh: I'm pretty sure Mao's more popular and widely-known, since she's always been the one who can garner the highest instantaneous viewership ratings for any broadcasts of fs competitions, but Dai's probably got more ardent fans.
On the other hand, Yuzu's hand towel currently stands at 60,555 yen which is definitely not too shabby.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
The latest bid on Dai's hand towel is staggering. It currently stands at 81,000 yen (with greater average bid increment) and even managed to eclipse the final bid on Mao's hand towel. The bidders still have 5 days left and with the way things have panned out so far, it could break into the 100,000 territory. :laugh: I'm pretty sure Mao's more popular and widely-known, since she's always been the one who can garner the highest instantaneous viewership ratings for any broadcasts of fs competitions, but Dai's probably got more ardent fans.
Viewership is free of charge. You don't pay anything for sitting in the sofa with popcorn. Collecting millions for the rink requires slightly bigger stuff. But I meant not Dai/Mao thing by bringing the auction as the test of popularity. I was rather surprised that Kanako beat Suzuki in it. Unless there were some changes that I missed.

Paola D

Rinkside
Thank you everyone for responses. I am so delighted.:)

Thanks a lot for your first-hand report on the last show, Paola D! I see he still retains that rather childish quirk of jumping up and down whenever he feels excited. As bubbly as always, but this bubbly, adorable and affable personality is probably what made all the uncles/aunties dote on him (Jeffrey, Johnny, Jeremy, etc). :laugh: Based on what I've read from Japanese tweets, he also elatedly jumped like that upon seeing Stephane land a quad during June 2 afternoon show finale, after which he welcomed Stephane back with a high-five and they went around the rink, talking to each other. To think that Stephane was one of the people from whom he sought advice for 4T, it's just heartwarming to know that they're on a friendly relationship.

And Fujii's paternal warmness towards Yuzu. His overjoyed reaction when Yuzu landed 3A-3A during the finale!:)
Glad to know Yuzu and Stephane are on a friendly relationship. I was blown away and mesmerized by Stephane in AOI. :love: Yuzu watches other skaters and gets inspiration from them. I hope he learns a lot from Stephane.

Isn't this the message printed on the show's official pamphlet?

Yes, it is. I'm not much of a translator, and forgive me for my bad English.

HelTra91

Rinkside
Thanks to everyone for the welcome.:)

I agree on the camerawork. It is dissapointing the hydroblading was so remote on TV. It was one of the most beautiful movements in the program.
I saw this program in the last show and felt his elements became more polished than before. Every movement was smooth, soft and delicate, and everything, even jumps had flow. It was beautiful. I was almost in tears. He got a whole SO. The program shows another Yuzuru. It's hard to believe this is the same skater who did the "Romeo and Juliet" almost one year ago!

"True Love" is NO. 1 hit song of Fujii. It was released one year before Yuzu was born. At that time it was said this song was played in almost every wedding reception and party. And the audience at AOI Tokyo did not consist of only fs fans, but also Fujii's fans. Hearing this song sure must have woken up their sweet memories. I guess it might be the reason why the designer made this costume for him. It was not bad at all when seen live, when he was moving. Actually he is tall and has a small face and long limbs, he can't look bad in anything.(sorry about the uberism:biggrin:) Probably he is the only one who may look fine in this costume.

It's too bad they didn't show the quad contest in the finale. He was the first one who attempted it being pushed by other casts. He made a long approach, did the checking his axis gesture as always, and went for
4T-3A seq, beautiful 4T and a little step out on 3A. He seemed satisfied and happy, and made a fist pump. He went back to the cast and high fived with Dai, Mura and Stephane. Stephane talked something to him, rubbed his back and hugged him tight. Yuzu was so cute when he was jumping up and down, clapping his hands over his head and cheering for Dai and Mura when they went for quads. He was cheerful and in good mood throughout the finale and he seemed really enjoying the time. And we could see he loves to dance!:clap:

By the way, there was a sweet message from Stephane to Yuzu before the show.
" I want him to shake off the fatigue from last season by joining AOI. I hope he will regain his energy to fight for the next season from this show just like I did." (Sorry for my bad English)
He seems to care about Yuzu like his younger brother. I heard they were talking in the finale in one of the shows. Oh, I found he is as tall as Stephane now, maybe a little bit taller. Is he still growing?

Obviously Yuzu was not in top shape yet. His jumps were not so consistent. I heard he started training about one month before AOI, and there was jet lag, so it's understandable. I was really shocked when I read how serious his injury was at London Worlds in Ice Crystal's journal "Crystalline". He could skate only for 4 days before the worlds, he did only skating to regain his physical strength and did only double jumps. It was after he entered London, after he started taking painkillers when he started practicing quads. That is why we heard a lot of disastrous practice reports. Before this show, I didn't expect he would do difficult jumps such as 4 and 3A. I personally hoped he would do easier jumps, like doubles. But well, Yuzuru is Yuzuru. He doesn't want to regress. There are still about 5 months before SC. I hope he will take time. I wish him health and a successful trainig!

WOW, thanks so much for the report! All those precious moments not televised though :cry:

zydeco88

On the Ice
Shizuka: What urged you to start skating? And how old were you that time?
Yuzuru: When I was 4. My elder sister began skating and the icerink was just right at our doorstep, so I was somehow influenced and followed her to the rink.
Shizuka: I vividly remember when you came following her to our rink. You were still a kindergartner and your sister, Saya was the one who took up skating first, wasn't she? (Yuzuru: Yes) So, I had a strong impression that she's the skater and you're the brother of that skater. Before I knew it, you've grown up to be one of the world's leading skaters, so I'm caught off guard! It's really thought-provoking.
Yuzuru: Honestly, I was just following her footsteps and doing it as per usual. I even thought of quitting. So, I guess it's all thanks to her that I come to be what I am now.
Shizuka: Indeed, she regularly came to the rink and as the result, you laid your eyes on skating and became a skater. That could be the reason but..
Yuzuru: Yes.
Shizuka: but did the actual desire to get onto the ice rink come from yourself?
Yuzuru: I think I was the type to imitate whatever my sister was doing.
Shizuka: I see
Yuzuru: Due to that influence.. since my sister was doing it, I thought that I should as well. Double axel is particularly one of the stumbling blocks, isn't it? So when I saw her doing the jump, I thought 'I definitely want to jump like that'.

:)

giulia95

Medalist
Shizuka: What urged you to start skating? And how old were you that time?
Yuzuru: When I was 4. My elder sister began skating and the icerink was just right at our doorstep, so I was somehow influenced and followed her to the rink.
Shizuka: I vividly remember when you came following her to our rink. You were still a kindergartner and your sister, Saya was the one who took up skating first, wasn't she? (Yuzuru: Yes) So, I had a strong impression that she's the skater and you're the brother of that skater. Before I knew it, you've grown up to be one of the world's leading skaters, so I'm caught off guard! It's really thought-provoking.
Yuzuru: Honestly, I was just following her footsteps and doing it as per usual. I even thought of quitting. So, I guess it's all thanks to her that I come to be what I am now.
Shizuka: Indeed, she regularly came to the rink and as the result, you laid your eyes on skating and became a skater. That could be the reason but..
Yuzuru: Yes.
Shizuka: but did the actual desire to get onto the ice rink come from yourself?
Yuzuru: I think I was the type to imitate whatever my sister was doing.
Shizuka: I see
Yuzuru: Due to that influence.. since my sister was doing it, I thought that I should as well. Double axel is particularly one of the stumbling blocks, isn't it? So when I saw her doing the jump, I thought 'I definitely want to jump like that'.
:)

thank you very much for the fast reply!!:)

As usual , Yuzu is funny, interesting and competitive from the very beginning :biggrin: !

Kalina

On the Ice
^ Yuzuru went back to Canada at the end of April. While he was there he did choreography for his new program with Wilson: he was also spotted by local skaters. After that he (obviously) returned to Japan at the end of May to perform in AOI.
I don't know if he is back to Canada now, but that interview is hardly proof that he is still in Japan, as it's highly likely that it was recorded in one go. I can't find one good reason to make him and Shizuka go back every morning for ten days at 7am just to record 1.30 minutes of interview.

Paola D

Rinkside
HelTra91, you are welcome. It's my pleasure.:) Thank you very much for the video which guilia posted in #1747. Your videos are always full of love for Yuzu. I really enjoy them.:thumbsup:
Thanks a lot zydeco88 for the translation. Your translation is always fast and super excellent!:clap:
Yuzu has very nice voice.:love:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
^ Yuzuru went back to Canada at the end of April. While he was there he did choreography for his new program with Wilson: he was also spotted by local skaters. After that he (obviously) returned to Japan at the end of May to perform in AOI.
Yeah, I saw his skate at AOI... which only makes my previous question about the coach more legitimate.

wxunxx

Rinkside
Thx guys for all the infor, videos and translations etc.

It's just so sweet to see Yuzu and his sister keeps such close relationship even he's already grown up, even he lives in Toronto now. For all these years, I cannot remember clearly how many times Yuzu talked about his family, but I could be recalled that every time he mentions about his family, I always could feel there's a strong bond between family members in Hanyu family.

Saya, Yuzu's sister, not only looks like Yuna Kim but also has pretty same ability with Yuna Kim in executing 2A. Yuzu mastered his 2A by learning from Saya. Basically Saya is an early role model and a great inspiration for young Yuzu. Yuzu followed Saya in many fields, trained in same ice rinks and joined same skating clubs, and also Yuzu went to same elementary school and junior high school with Saya . I guess it could be said Yuzu probably wouldn't start his skating career without Saya, if so, we wouldn't even know Yuzu's existence from beginning.

Tommmy

Rinkside
Yeah, I saw his skate at AOI... which only makes my previous question about the coach more legitimate.

Of course he was not yet in great shape, but considering he couldn't skate a whole month and more, I think it was quite amazing to see him recover that quickly :rolleye: